Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Haven't tried them but I believe the 'Asteria' (spelling?), is the replacement, I've seen TRR running in them and he was an ST5 wearer, so maybe give him a shout.

As an alternative the Adidas Boston 5/6 (go up at least half a size) is what I'm using now. The toe box is narrower than the ST5, it's the only thing I'd change, it's a cracking all round shoe.
    The new Brooks Asteria might be worth a look. I love the hyperion.

I have had the Asteria out for a few runs and I like them a lot. Have realised my other 6 pairs of rotating Brooks shoes of T7/ST5/Pureflow/Cadence could do with a few of them retiring as they are dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I plumped for the Adidas Ultra Boost ST's recently. Did a 7km run in them yesterday and they felt so smooth, I felt like I was running a lot faster for less effort, less impact on the joints, less fatigue after. How much is placebo, I can't say, but delighted with them. Compared to my Mizuno's, there is less of a sensation of the shoe support coming up around the sides of the feet, and I did feel them squirm a bit when turning sharply, but they felt supportive, wonderfully cushioned, fast and responsive. Great initial impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »
    They're a fine shoe, yeah. That the N1 or what version? Have the N0 for short stuff, well had, they're a bit old now and then bought the N1 for longer distances earlier this year. Light, comfortable, very little to complain about and the price was like you paid. Great value. They do feel a bit 'unprotected' for marathon distance. I have yet to decide.

SportPursuit have dropped a load of Pearl Izumi on their site this morning with decent spread of sizing at great pricing £35 - if you are tempted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I plumped for the Adidas Ultra Boost ST's recently. Did a 7km run in them yesterday and they felt so smooth, I felt like I was running a lot faster for less effort, less impact on the joints, less fatigue after. How much is placebo, I can't say, but delighted with them. Compared to my Mizuno's, there is less of a sensation of the shoe support coming up around the sides of the feet, and I did feel them squirm a bit when turning sharply, but they felt supportive, wonderfully cushioned, fast and responsive. Great initial impression.

just bought a pair recently on Wiggle (€85) - due for delivery soon - looking forward to bringing them for a spin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Wiggle Bargain, might be of use.

Adidas Ultra Boost ST Shoes (c50% off)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/adidas-ultra-boost-st-shoes/?referid=affwin&utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.boards.ie&utm_term=78888&utm_content=0

Edit: 11.5 only

Anyways, I'm using Aasics Dynaflyte for about 6 months now, love them, if not a tad expensive.

Some more sizes back in. Just picked up a pair of size 9

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/adidas-ultra-boost-st-shoes/

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    SportPursuit have dropped a load of Pearl Izumi on their site this morning with decent spread of sizing at great pricing £35 - if you are tempted ;)

Sport Pursuit - never heard of this site before, are they good to deal with ?

Also never heard of Pearl Izumi shoes, interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Techless wrote: »
    Sport Pursuit - never heard of this site before, are they good to deal with ?

Also never heard of Pearl Izumi shoes, interesting..

I've got stuff from them. No issues whatsoever with delivery. Pearl Izumi are very smooth riders. Love both the N0 for shorter stuff and the N1 for longer. A snug fit, very quiet on the ground.

One thing I will say, when I tried the old N1 shoe I wasn't convinced but these 'V2' (version 2 I think) are the business. Great value at that price. as good as I've seen. Shame they're going.

Only thing to look out for with Sports Pursuit is that use a flash sales model.
    Commit a quantity to a brand.
    Run a flash sale.
    Confirm to quantity and order.

So depends on if you are at the beginning of a flash sale (long delivery time) or towards the end (moderate delivery time).

Meaning not useful if you need something quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Just purchased two more pairs of Kinvara 7's on sportsshoes.com - €154 for the lot. They're black too, which is kind of cool.

• Advertisement

Sure while we're at it :pac:

NB Hanzo S

18716442_10211675384874483_1273731198_n.jpg?oh=5a9a37fd419fe0a28cc5f692d8fd8d1b&oe=59292E46

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Picked up these Hoka Tracers this morning

Looking forward to giving them a run out but maybe not my 15k tomorrow

s!Akkav7rIPHnb4_8XxV9Ev0TLbi2T9g

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Will be back in the market soon for another pair of Asics Cumulus.....struggling to find any decent prices online (best so far is Wiggle @ €85 with free postage).

Do you guys use any price comparison/tracker sites?? Would be interested to hear any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I use Pricespy.ie, Gives prices for ireland and also international shops. Dont think it catches all good deals though.

in a lot of cases you only get online deals on particular shoes periodically - e.g. when they are trying to clear out a prior season's version or something like that. if you are looking for particular shoes you have to keep a fairly constant lookout as you can't be guaranteed that something will be available at the very time you want it.
    if have a weird sized foot outside the norm e.g. very small or very large foot you can get a great price often. for us normal people not so much.
    if you're more flexible and do some research into similar types of shoes e.g. for cumulus other medium to heavy weight cushioned neutral shoes you find a bargain.

€85 is a decent price for that shoe in Europe - probably won't do much better.
    that's for last year's version.

glasso wrote: »
    €85 is a decent price for that shoe in Europe - probably won't do much better.
    that's for last year's version.

Yep....that seems to be the best deal going alright...have been passively browsing for a while.

It seems that the days of getting runners for < €70 have long gone :(

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Yep....that seems to be the best deal going alright...have been passively browsing for a while.

if you look at similar runners you might find something

Saucony Ride
    Mizuno Wave Rider
    Brooks Ghost
    Nike Pegasus
    New Balance 1080
    Brooks Glycerins

e.g. personally I like light (220g / 8 ounces for size 9) cushioned runners. at one point found a great deal on Sketchers (who make excellent performance running shoes) Go Run Ride for €30 on amazon.co.uk - bought a few pairs - total bargain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

davedanon wrote: »
    Just purchased two more pairs of Kinvara 7's on sportsshoes.com - €154 for the lot. They're black too, which is kind of cool.

Back on the Kinvara's for me too. Been on the Breakthrus for a while but going to go back to the slightly smaller drops.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yep... other half is the most common size in the most common shoe (size 10 Asics GT-2000) and I can't find decent deals in it at all.

On the other hand, I'm laughing with women's Mizunos...

The trainers I have in rotation currently cost an average of €48 for my last 6 pairs, you have to be flexible (find similar models across various brands), set up your price alerts and order the morning after a referendum or general election in the UK :D

I will push the boat out on shoes that I use for racing, paying an average of €91.50 for my last 4 pairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Any idea of similar runners to Brooks Launch?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Good deals on adidas.ie at the moment. Sale on with sequence 9 and the new St for something like 69 euro. Supernova the same price with free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nagnata

I rotate my shoes.
    Monday easy run adidas squence 9
    Tuesday intervals/speed work new balance 1500v2 I also use these as my racing shoe up to 10km.
    Wednesday easy day so same as Monday but if the legs are heavy I use nike lunarglide 8 which are nice and soft but still with structure.
    Thursday easy so adidas squence 9 again
    Friday tempo or fartleks runs so normally go with mizuno wave inspire I use these on races over 10km
    Saturday long run it depends how far so can be my squence 9, inspire or ascis Kayno 22 that were bought for me.
    Sunday normally a rest day but if going on a recovery run its nike lunarglide 8 I would use them the day after a race too.
    If I'm on the mountains or trails I'll use Salomon xa pro 3d

Will be back in the market soon for another pair of Asics Cumulus.....struggling to find any decent prices online (best so far is Wiggle @ €85 with free postage).

Will be passing by Kildare Village next week....can't remember what discounts are normally on offer in the Asics store (??)....Cumulus still out of stock on Wiggle :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I was in Asics store in Kildare Village and pretty sure Cumulus were going for €96

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Bought the Nike Streak 6 last week for €57.98 (had 20% voucher on top of the sale price) from the Nike store. First run was the Strava #MyMile

19D55246-32D0-4EA3-8B77-E04C521C158E_zpswjnhwn3r.jpg

Will be passing by Kildare Village next week....can't remember what discounts are normally on offer in the Asics store (??)....Cumulus still out of stock on Wiggle :-(

So popped in to the store on Thursday, all set to pick up a new pair of Cumulus.

Tried them on and they felt absolutely awful - really tight and uncomfortable and felt like the heels had been raised by about 3 inches :eek:

Really disappointed - wearing Cumulus since 2008 and every time i've put on a new pair before there's been zero problems.

Anyway, tldr....ended up buying a pair of Gel Flux instead for half the price. I know they're a much lower mileage shoe but given my current training regime they should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I use a pair of Asics Metarun for races, great shoe, very expensive, bought them as a treat for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Im wearing Asics Nimbus. Find them very comfortable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ISOP wrote: »
    I use a pair of Asics Metarun for races, great shoe, very expensive, bought them as a treat for myself

I had to google what they were, €250. I know Asics became ridiculously expensive over the years, but that's a bit excessive?

Advertisement