Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How thick are some people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Murrisk wrote: »
    Saw someone on Facebook once who had shaved her head (and posted photos of same) "so I know what it feels like to have cancer". Rrriiiggght. And are you going to go through with the associated treatments too? Remove your eyelashes and eyebrows? Ya know, to really get the full experience. And does this mean that any man who decides to shave his head once he starts going bald also knows what it's like to have cancer? Wow, this head-shaving malarkey is multi-functional!

And of course, people were lavishing her with praise for her "bravery". What a slap in the face to anyone who has struggled through gruelling cancer treatments, especially anyone who is going to die from it anyway, despite getting medical attention. Muppet.

Wow. And the sad thing is we probably still haven't hit peak stupid with Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

jamesbere wrote: »
    I've seen some idiotic attention seeking stuff but this takes the biscuit. As someone who has lost someone to cancer, what they've done is sickening to be honest, I hope someone called them out on it

Unfortunately, no, it was all comments like "Ur so brave, hunny!" and it was the kind of thing where anyone who gave a dissenting opinion would probably be lambasted or considered a begrudger. I too have seen the horrors of cancer, even if you're curable, the treatments are awful, so it really disgusted me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Saw someone on Facebook once who had shaved her head (and posted photos of same) "so I know what it feels like to have cancer". Rrriiiggght. And are you going to go through with the associated treatments too? Remove your eyelashes and eyebrows? Ya know, to really get the full experience. And does this mean that any man who decides to shave his head once he starts going bald also knows what it's like to have cancer? Wow, this head-shaving malarkey is multi-functional!

And of course, people were lavishing her with praise for her "bravery". What a slap in the face to anyone who has struggled through gruelling cancer treatments, especially anyone who is going to die from it anyway, despite getting medical attention. Muppet.
    I know someone who did the same thing, wonder is it the same person. I don't know if the fact that she was volunteering with a cancer charity at the time makes it better or worse but I'm sure she's still awaiting a medal for her bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Anyone who enters those IQ "tests" and puzzles on Facebook to advertise how clever they are...isn't.

But I always get 10/10...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've posted this before and it's mostly to our Lady friends.

Full shop goes through in supermarket. Takes an age to pack bags...then stares at the cashier for an age. After being told the amount the search then takes place for the purse to pay. WHY? Why the fcuk couldn't you have had that ready when you were in the queue? It's not rocket science. The cashier will be looking for payment to conclude the transaction. And sorry ladies but it's always you 99% of the time. Stupid doesn't even cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I was in McDonalds years ago with a friend of mine, she said to me, ''how much is a two euro meal?'' :pac:

A friend of mine worked in €2 shop. She said all day long customers would come up to her asking "How much is this?".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've posted this before and it's mostly to our Lady friends.

Full shop goes through in supermarket. Takes an age to pack bags...then stares at the cashier for an age. After being told the amount the search then takes place for the purse to pay. WHY? Why the fcuk couldn't you have had that ready when you were in the queue? It's not rocket science. The cashier will be looking for payment to conclude the transaction. And sorry ladies but it's always you 99% of the time. Stupid doesn't even cover it.

"Money? I have to pay... money... for these things? I didn't expect that.... Oh..."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"Money? I have to pay... money... for these things? I didn't expect that.... Oh..."

Every. Single. Time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

mfceiling wrote: »
    Every. Single. Time.

It annoys me too about people queuing for the ATM or the bus who don't have their cards/change ready. You were waiting, why didn't you get it ready? Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

Facebook is portal into the land of the dense. I have many good friends that once they were on FB revealed themselves as idiots. I find it hard to look at them as I once did.

That's why I love sites like Reddit. The people on it are usually internet-savvy and someways intelligent. Facebook attracts the lowest common denominator of stupid who don't even know how to use Google.

"What time is Coronation Street on at tonight?"
    "Is it a bank holiday next weekend?"

Etc

• Advertisement

Anyone who enters those IQ "tests" and puzzles on Facebook to advertise how clever they are...isn't.

One of the least intelligent people I know posted her IQ score, boasting that she's in the 50th percentile of the population. In other words, 50% of people are smarter than her. I went to the site for the craic and it charges you 3 euro for your results! They know their market :D

Needless to say, I didn't pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

These same people type "amen" to help some poor kid with cancer. Or they type "3" to see what happens next. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Village Crazy Lady

the woman i saw driving down the street from my window, with her hand out of the car window, trying to get a signal on her phone with kids in the car!! anyone who drives while using their phone...... stupid (nevermind the 3 others i saw within 2 minutes while i watched the world go by)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Tell me more about these pyramids you are selling
    our model is the trapezoid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

jamesbere wrote: »
    I've seen some idiotic attention seeking stuff but this takes the biscuit. As someone who has lost a family member to cancer, what they've done is sickening to be honest, I hope someone called them out on it

More idiotic than sickening tbf..

Those people who watch stupid TV shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

My silly Dad once cleaned his car doors with a brillo pad... The damage was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Tell me more about these pyramids you are selling
    our model is the trapezoid

How much do ya want for the trapezpoid ?
    Has it got netting on the side , her ma broke her ankle on the last one.

I can swap a BBQ from Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

That's why I love sites like Reddit. The people on it are usually internet-savvy and someways intelligent. Facebook attracts the lowest common denominator of stupid who don't even know how to use Google.

"What time is Coronation Street on at tonight?"
    "Is it a bank holiday next weekend?"

Etc

I find the internet/tech savvy are usually the thickest and stupidest of all when faced with a real life problem.

They seem intelligent but without the internet they are ****ed.

Cook a basic roast dinner or boil an egg? Need an app. Wash or iron clothes? Need YouTube tutorial video.

Guy I work with is like that. App's for bloody everything as he has never bothered to learn or been shown how to do basic life stuff for himself.

While the Facebook crowd may look stupid, they would survive longer than the internet savvy crowd after a nuclear war/zombie attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ligerdub wrote: »
    6 posts in and we've already had the obligatory reference to 1. Donald Trump and 2. Adolf Hitler.

The topic is irrelevant, it always come back to The Staples.

A brilliant group, but that's not important right now.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

The answer to your question?...

Thick...very very thick!

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I find the internet/tech savvy are usually the thickest and stupidest of all when faced with a real life problem.

They seem intelligent but without the internet they are ****ed.

Cook a basic roast dinner or boil an egg? Need an app. Wash or iron clothes? Need YouTube tutorial video.

Guy I work with is like that. App's for bloody everything as he has never bothered to learn or been shown how to do basic life stuff for himself.

This is so me except I don't cook - can't, won't, don't :pac:

koumi wrote: »
    I know someone who did the same thing, wonder is it the same person. I don't know if the fact that she was volunteering with a cancer charity at the time makes it better or worse but I'm sure she's still awaiting a medal for her bravery.

The person in question was also fundraising but it was so massively insensitive of her. There is no need for gimmicks and it just came across as so attention-seeking. I mean, if someone shaves their head, a shadow will appear on their head very soon afterwards. The chemo patient has no such luxury, and will lose their facial hair on top of that. So the two aren't remotely alike. And that before we get to the fact that the cancer patient has had put poison into their body/undergo surgery/be burned by radiation therapy. All these things leave lasting effects on the body even if the patient survives and if they fail then the person has done it all for nothing. Imagine the mental toll all this takes on a person and what one goes through when they are given a terminal diagnosis? How on earth could anyone think that shaving their head would give them any kind of insight into what it's like to have this horrible illness?

It's one of those things people do to appear sensitive and caring but, in fact, it's the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ah bah humbug.......stop complaining

It's not really humbug. An example that effects rational people in the pocket, if I may.

Health insurance. Really expensive, right? We'd all like to see it made a bit more affordable where possible? Every Irish health insurer will pay for homeopathic 'treatments'. That means, if you have a health policy, a small proportion of what you pay goes to fund ineffective quackery. Because there are a lot of, and let's not beat around the bush, idiots, who think that homeopathy is not ineffective quackery, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and demand that it be covered by their health insurance. There's no way to avoid this. They all cover it.

And don't get me started on 'psychics'.... If you want an example of the barely literate cohort cynically being taken advantage of by a particularly odious subset of charlatan, check out the brainfarts of the psychics and mediums forum on here.

:mad:

It's one of those things people do to appear sensitive and caring but, in fact, it's the exact opposite.
    I remember cutting all my hair off when my dad had cancer. It was back before the days of facebook though and while I probably didn't think it was related at the time, in hindsight it was likely an emotional response to his illness. I've tended to crop my hair in times of stress (dat would be all of the time :)) and I've mostly been a short haired person ever since. (my dad never lost his hair during his treatment ironically)

koumi wrote: »
    I remember cutting all my hair off when my dad had cancer. It was back before the days of facebook though and while I probably didn't think it was related at the time, in hindsight it was likely an emotional response to his illness. I've tended to crop my hair in times of stress (dat would be all of the time :)) and I've mostly been a short haired person ever since. (my dad never lost his hair during his treatment ironically)

Oh, well this is totally different! And it wasn't a conscious thing on your part, it just seems like maybe a subconscious solidarity thing, perhaps?

Oh, well this is totally different! And it wasn't a conscious thing on your part, it just seems like maybe a subconscious solidarity thing, perhaps?
    it wasn't a conscious decision at all but maybe on some level, it was a life changing time and I guess it reflected that outwardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Animal physic must be a plum job.

Yes... I've made contact with someone..... he says woof.... does that ring a bell?

Is that you Pavlov?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JRant wrote: »
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
    Humans are intelligent. People are stupid.
    me_irl wrote: »
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Adolf Hitler.
    Ehh....

https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22Only+two+things+are+infinite%2C+the+universe+and+human+stupidity%2C+and+I%27m+not+sure+about+the+former.%22&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE704IE704&oq=%22Only+two+things+are+infinite%2C+the+universe+and+human+stupidity%2C+and+I%27m+not+sure+about+the+former.%22&aqs=chrome..69i57.758j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    Ironically George Carlin (from the context) was referring to the person of median stupidity as opposed to the person of average stupidity! It just doesn't have the same ring to it when put like that though!
    Mean and median are both types of average. In statistics "average" doesn't only mean "mean".
    The same girl was having a chat with another girl. One girl said she lives in a bungalow. The other girl asked, is it a one story or a two story bungalow?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=dormer+bungalow&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE704IE704&oq=dormer+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.2245j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    In fairness, flying is a near death experience for some people, and when the pilot lands the plane it's like someone just saved there life from certain death. I would buy the pilot a card and bottle of wine/chocolates every time if i could.
    In fairness, how many times do planes reach escape velocity and exit Earth's orbit?

You're as likely to die from the pollution produced by a plane as you are from a plane crash.
    Why is there a need for 2 pililots on every plane then? I think you should show pilots a little more respect.
    Not every plane. But it's done with larger planes because (a) one of them might want to use the toilet and (b) one may become ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I identify with the 'stupid' category rather than the sneering pseudo-intellectuals and 'enlightened' people. I'd like to think that Aeroplane drivers know that human beings understand it's not exactly natural to be flying through the sky at 500 MPH and that a successful landing is a minor achievement for them but a relief for us idiots.

Advertisement