Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How thick are some people?

Options
  • 13-06-2017 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭

I do wonder how some people manage to look after themselves and get through life.

Two examples recently:

1) All those who thought it was a good idea to get into their cars and drive to Knock to see the Virgin Mary appear. And then actually believe that the sun was her.

2) Someone asking for recommendations for a good animal psychic, because I assume they want to communicate with their dead pet?

I do despair at times.

Any other examples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you want to fund my attempt to bypass the laws of physics and produce a perpetual motion device?

"Yes, yes I do."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red F Warrior

Ah bah humbug.......stop complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Trump tweeted "See you in court!!" a while back as a threat against..... Judges.

It's up there for the thickest threat in human history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Adolf Hitler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I'm clever enough that I realize how utterly unintelligent (Generally... intelligence is all relative) I am. I'm much closer to thick that I am genius so I'd prefer to be thicker and think I'm really smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Facebook is portal into the land of the dense. I have many good friends that once they were on FB revealed themselves as idiots. I find it hard to look at them as I once did.

Facebook is portal into the land of the dense. I have many good friends that once they were on FB revealed themselves as idiots. I find it hard to look at them as I once did.

Anyone who enters those IQ "tests" and puzzles on Facebook to advertise how clever they are...isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

osarusan wrote: »
    Do you want to fund my attempt to bypass the laws of physics and produce a perpetual motion device?

"Yes, yes I do."

Basically 90% of crowdfunding ventures.

"What's that? A microbrewery? How inspired and original! An idea as unique as this is sure to make money. I know you have no qualifications or experience in process engineering or running a profitable business but your beard, and check shirt is good enough for me. Where do I sign?"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Animal physic must be a plum job.

Yes... I've made contact with someone..... he says woof.... does that ring a bell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

me_irl wrote: »
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Adolf Hitler.

Hitler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ah they'd be very thick alright... some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anyone who enters those IQ "tests" and puzzles on Facebook to advertise how clever they are...isn't.

These same people type "amen" to help some poor kid with cancer. Or they type "3" to see what happens next. Idiots.

Hitler?

OK, OK you caught me Einstein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

"ooh look, the pilot managed to land the plane (as s/he has done hundreds and hundreds of times previously) lets all clap wildly"

Out of curiosity, do people boo when a plane crashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

People who become involved in pyramid schemes.

What's that? It makes a profit guaranteed? Where do I sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jesus Wept wrote: »

Yes... I've made contact with someone..... he says woof.... does that ring a bell?

Goldie the fish says woof, I didn't even know he could speak dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

me_irl wrote: »
    OK, OK you caught me Einstein!

You could have claimed you were 'Godwin'ing the thread!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

valoren wrote: »
    People who become involved in pyramid schemes.

What's that? It makes a profit guaranteed? Where do I sign?

Tell me more about these pyramids you are selling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Well OP, let's put it this way:
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

These same people type "amen" to help some poor kid with cancer. Or they type "3" to see what happens next. Idiots.

I remember seeing on Facebook a now ex of one of my best mates comment "amen" on a picture like that. That wasn't even the thick part, the comment with the picture only said 1 like = 1 prayer, It didn't even ask for an amen :confused: I despair

schizo1014 wrote: »
    I remember seeing on Facebook a now ex of one of my best mates comment "amen" on a picture like that,that wasn't even the thick part. The comment with the picture only said 1 like = 1 prayer, It didn't even ask for an amen :confused: I despair

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

OP you should follow the group called "anyone know?" on Facebook, sometimes the things people ask would astound you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Jesus Wept wrote: »

Haven't laughed reading anything in AH for approximately 5 months, until now!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"ooh look, the pilot managed to land the plane (as s/he has done hundreds and hundreds of times previously) lets all clap wildly"

Out of curiosity, do people boo when a plane crashed?

No, they scream in terror!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

blacklilly wrote: »
    Haven't laughed reading anything in AH for approximately 5 months, until now!:pac:

Ah you missed a few very laugh out loud moments in the past 5 months so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

NIMAN wrote: »
    I do despair at times. Any other examples?

Too many to mention. There are buildings in the US and other countries that lack a floor 13 merely because people are scared of a number. The whole fields of astrology and homeopathy and other "healing" would be another example. And we do not even have to get into the realm of religion and all seeing sky daddies and magical crackers and illiterate pedophiles who magically write books in caves.

But I would bring caution to assuming all such people are thick or stupid. Even the most intelligent examples our species has ever produced have come forward believing the most fantastical nonsense.

Thinking people are thick or stupid of believing unsubstantiated nonsense is, to me, similar to thinking someone must be weak or unhealthy if they catch the common cold. Sometimes the OPPOSITE is true and being strong and healthy leaves you MORE inclined to catch some infections.

Similarly I think being intelligent and sometimes even ABOVE average intelligence can leave one prone to infection by stupid ideas. Not always mind you, but often.

I would suspect the vast majority of the people who ran off to Knock on the behest of a single 14 year olds testimony are not going to rate high on many intelligence scales. But I would expect more of people who think they can communicate with dead loved ones or think that there is a god. And it is not solely stupidity (though it helps) that make people think things like Homeopathy work. Placebo and the "return to the mean" effect are very powerful.

Newton is one of, if not possibly THE, greatest mind our species has produced. Go read up on some of the stuff he believed sometime if you want a laugh. Then see what you think the relationship between intelligence and believing absolute nonsense is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

jester77 wrote:
    Well OP, let's put it this way:
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that.

Ironically George Carlin (from the context) was referring to the person of median stupidity as opposed to the person of average stupidity! It just doesn't have the same ring to it when put like that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I do wonder how some people manage to look after themselves and get through life.

Two examples recently:

1) All those who thought it was a good idea to get into their cars and drive to Knock to see the Virgin Mary appear. And then actually believe that the sun was her.

2) Someone asking for recommendations for a good animal psychic, because I assume they want to communicate with their dead pet?

I do despair at times.

Any other examples?

People are generally stupid full stop dumbing down going on via this/media/facebook/internet/magazines/superficial culture etc etc doesnt help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Any other examples?
    Anti-Vaxxers.

Advertisement