Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not showing up to an exam?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 akl98

spurious wrote: »
    If the superfluous eighth subject was always a fall-back and definitely won't be needed, by all means don't sit it if you don't want to.
    I just hope wasting time on an eighth subject didn't take time away from the subjects you will actually count.

Yeah it has already taken a lot of time from other subjects and I have wanted to drop the subject for quite a while now. When I asked my teacher if I could drop she just told me to wait it out and if I wasn't feeling confident not to bother with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Well no, not quite. The Applied Maths paper is not "half" or any part of the regular Ordinary/Higher level Maths paper that the OP is doing, it's an entirely different subject. And only one paper, as far as I remember. There's a lot of overlap with the HL Maths and with Physics, but they're not the same exam.

I know. I did Maths, Physics & Applied Maths for my Leaving!
    Nyctolust wrote: »
    Pretty sure they mean OP already did half of the Maths exam, nothing about Applied Maths. As in they did Maths Paper 1 yesterday with the rest of the country and have Maths Paper 2 on Monday. Applied Maths is on the 23rd. No one said Applied Maths is "half" of any other subject.

Yep, thank you.

No that's a perfect explanation. So the op is already doing a maths subject? I did google it :-)

I'd still sit the exam. Op might do well if they don't put pressure on themself

Yes I already sat maths paper 1 yesterday. Applied maths isn't a requirement for my college course or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

What's your second last subject as applied maths is the last exam going by the leaving cert timetable, and how long between your last two exams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

spurious wrote: »
    You can't leave the exam until 30 minutes has passed and the Superintendent will have entered him/her as present in that time. Even if he writes nothing on the paper it will still be marked.

Do you still have to write your exam number on the paper yourself ? (Genuine question....been a 'few' years since I did a State exam.)
    If it is the case then they can mark all they want....without a number it counts for nothing. Used to be a regular enough trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

34% is a pretty good mark.

No it isn't.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    What's your second last subject as applied maths is the last exam going by the leaving cert timetable, and how long between your last two exams?

Last exam is DCG and I have a day between dcg and applied maths

Do you still have to write your exam number on the paper yourself ? (Genuine question....been a 'few' years since I did a State exam.)
    If it is the case then they can mark all they want....without a number it counts for nothing. Used to be a regular enough trick.

Yeah you write it yourself but our invigilator walks around before we start an exam and checks we've all written our numbers on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Do it . remember 30% @ higher is a pass otherwise drop to ord it is literally impossible to fail order applied maths if you have a very basic knowledge of q1,3,4,5

Well this is a kick in the balls, I dropped two subjects due to barely getting a D3 at higher level in 2010 and now after 2016 you get points for an E? A higher D3 was worth the same as an ordinary B1, which I think is harder to get...

I see Ordinary level points are also even less? Ridiculous, some people doing ordinary and getting A/B grades are doing their best and deserve a top grade but have nothing to show for it. You also get 25 extra points on higher maths for getting 40% or above?

I hope the exams are easier these days because the points system looks to have gone arseways...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

akl98 wrote: »
    Yeah you write it yourself but our invigilator walks around before we start an exam and checks we've all written our numbers on the paper

The Superintendent will fill in a missing number.
    As an examiner, I have occasionally received papers without numbers. It's easy enough work out who it belongs to, if it's the only one in the centre unnumbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

As a superintendent it's our job to check each paper has an exam number before packaging them and sending them off the the SEC. I also go around and check numbers are on before the exam starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

The boards.ie leaving cert forum, where a thread asking for advice on showing up to an exam becomes one of the most popular threads here in months.

Advertisement