Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not showing up to an exam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

endacl wrote: »
    Indeed it is. It's better than 33 other percents.

Which ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Cory Whispering Weaponry

My principal told me I'd no hope of passing Irish and maths after failing my mocks...I passed them both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Go and do it. You might scrape a pass. What have you got to lose?

What good is scraping a pass if it's the lowest mark of his eight subjects? It won't be used for points anyways, and the time wasted doing the exam could be better used to get a better grade in one of the other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

My principal told me I'd no hope of passing Irish and maths after failing my mocks...I passed them both

Same as that but with LC Biology. Teacher at that time (we didn't like each other!!) told me I was wasting my time and hers by doing it. Took the honours paper as I said I'd be as well to go out with a bang.... pissed it and got a B :D
    What good is scraping a pass if it's the lowest mark of his eight subjects? It won't be used for points anyways, and the time wasted doing the exam could be better used to get a better grade in one of the other subjects.

OP has said himself that he has a day or so before the exam so he can use that time which shouldn't cut across anything else. Aside from that you never know what's going to come up on the day so it's always worth a look. It might just all fall into place.

FWIW, I'd go in, have a look, don't put your number on the paper and walk out if it looks seriously bad. (You can always claim illness..) If nothing else it'll give peace of mind. How bad would you feel if you look at it afterwards and discover that you would have walked it ? Keep the options open anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭munster87

endacl wrote: »
    Indeed it is. It's better than 33 other percents.
    Wow, you just applied maths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭daraghwal

You're better off taking that day and doing the paper if it's not going to impact in any other exam. I was doing 8 subjects last year and was tempted to not go into one so I could study more for the one the next day. It turned out I did not count the opposite one that I thought I would. In fact the grades I got were the opposite of what I would have thought I would get. I am repeating this year but going into that exam brought my points up by about 30 when I expected it to not have an impact at all. I am repeating this year but that's because I knew I was going to be way off the points anyway and I dropped English and Irish because I'm useless at them and this year focused on the sciences that I am good at, maths, technology and french.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I agree with others in saying spend the time studying other subjects you're better at but I'd personally do the exam anyway and see what you come out at just chancing your arm.

I remember my English teacher told me I was going to do poorly and told me how bad my 38% grade was on the mock exam, ended up getting an A2 with barely any work. Clearly didn't like me...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Which ones?

Not sure. I'm no good at mathenomics. :(

• What good is scraping a pass if it's the lowest mark of his eight subjects? It won't be used for points anyways, and the time wasted doing the exam could be better used to get a better grade in one of the other subjects.

Because it's not all about points in the real world.
    Most employers would like to know the candidate has a certain level of maths

What I'm saying is, even if the op doesn't want to spend anymore time studying for maths, surely it's better just to go and spend an hour or two anyway doing the exam and try bag a pass. Madness not to try

Because it's not all about points in the real world.
    Most employers would like to know the candidate has a certain level of maths

What I'm saying is, even if the op doesn't want to spend anymore time studying for maths, surely it's better just to go and spend an hour or two anyway doing the exam and try bag a pass. Madness not to try

The thread isn't about Maths. It's about Applied Maths, completely separate subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

FWIW, I'd go in, have a look, don't put your number on the paper and walk out if it looks seriously bad. (You can always claim illness..) If nothing else it'll give peace of mind. How bad would you feel if you look at it afterwards and discover that you would have walked it ? Keep the options open anyway.

You can't leave the exam until 30 minutes has passed and the Superintendent will have entered him/her as present in that time. Even if he writes nothing on the paper it will still be marked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

akl98 wrote: »
    I am shocking at applied maths and think I will fail it. It won't be counted in my top 6 even if I did show up and I would rather not have to put in the work just to fail .

Do it . remember 30% @ higher is a pass otherwise drop to ord it is literally impossible to fail order applied maths if you have a very basic knowledge of q1,3,4,5

• The thread isn't about Maths. It's about Applied Maths, completely separate subject.

Ok do explain

Ok do explain

Maths is one of the subjects that is an essential requirement for just about every college course. You'd be an eejit not to at least sit it.

I've very rarely seen Applied Maths as a requirement, it's just another optional subject. If the OP is already doing English, Irish, Maths, plus a language (probably), plus three other subjects, they're probably well covered in terms of subject requirements. So long as they're confident that they'll get more points in six of their other seven subjects, the time spend studying for and sitting Applied Maths could well be better spent on last minute study for some of their other seven subjects (and even at that, points will only be counted for six of the seven.)

I'm not sure what sort of explanation you want? If you Google Applied Maths, I'm sure you'll get the syllabus for it.

• Maths is one of the subjects that is an essential requirement for just about every college course. You'd be an eejit not to at least sit it.

I've very rarely seen Applied Maths as a requirement, it's just another optional subject. If the OP is already doing English, Irish, Maths, plus a language (probably), plus three other subjects, they're probably well covered in terms of subject requirements. So long as they're confident that they'll get more points in six of their other seven subjects, the time spend studying for and sitting Applied Maths could well be better spent on last minute study for some of their other seven subjects (and even at that, points will only be counted for six of the seven.)

I'm not sure what sort of explanation you want? If you Google Applied Maths, I'm sure you'll get the syllabus for it.

No that's a perfect explanation. So the op is already doing a maths subject? I did google it :-)

I'd still sit the exam. Op might do well if they don't put pressure on themself

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

No that's a perfect explanation. So the op is already doing a maths subject?

Best guess is that they've already done half their Maths exam. The Applied Maths exam is on the 23rd:
    https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/EN-EX-46999886.pdf

• Best guess is that they've already done half their Maths exam. The Applied Maths exam is on the 23rd:

I'm one of those old people now who is out of touch with reality it appears. I swore I wouldn't get old

Thanks

Best guess is that they've already done half their Maths exam. The Applied Maths exam is on the 23rd:

Well no, not quite. The Applied Maths paper is not "half" or any part of the regular Ordinary/Higher level Maths paper that the OP is doing, it's an entirely different subject. And only one paper, as far as I remember. There's a lot of overlap with the HL Maths and with Physics, but they're not the same exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Well no, not quite. The Applied Maths paper is not "half" or any part of the regular Ordinary/Higher level Maths paper that the OP is doing, it's an entirely different subject. And only one paper, as far as I remember. There's a lot of overlap with the HL Maths and with Physics, but they're not the same exam.
    Pretty sure they mean OP already did half of the Maths exam, nothing about Applied Maths. As in they did Maths Paper 1 yesterday with the rest of the country and have Maths Paper 2 on Monday. Applied Maths is on the 23rd. No one said Applied Maths is "half" of any other subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the superfluous eighth subject was always a fall-back and definitely won't be needed, by all means don't sit it if you don't want to.
    I just hope wasting time on an eighth subject didn't take time away from the subjects you will actually count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 akl98

spurious wrote: »
    If the superfluous eighth subject was always a fall-back and definitely won't be needed, by all means don't sit it if you don't want to.
    I just hope wasting time on an eighth subject didn't take time away from the subjects you will actually count.

Yeah it has already taken a lot of time from other subjects and I have wanted to drop the subject for quite a while now. When I asked my teacher if I could drop she just told me to wait it out and if I wasn't feeling confident not to bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

I know. I did Maths, Physics & Applied Maths for my Leaving!
    Nyctolust wrote: »
    Pretty sure they mean OP already did half of the Maths exam, nothing about Applied Maths. As in they did Maths Paper 1 yesterday with the rest of the country and have Maths Paper 2 on Monday. Applied Maths is on the 23rd. No one said Applied Maths is "half" of any other subject.

Yep, thank you.

No that's a perfect explanation. So the op is already doing a maths subject? I did google it :-)

Yes I already sat maths paper 1 yesterday. Applied maths isn't a requirement for my college course or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

What's your second last subject as applied maths is the last exam going by the leaving cert timetable, and how long between your last two exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

spurious wrote: »
    You can't leave the exam until 30 minutes has passed and the Superintendent will have entered him/her as present in that time. Even if he writes nothing on the paper it will still be marked.

Do you still have to write your exam number on the paper yourself ? (Genuine question....been a 'few' years since I did a State exam.)
    If it is the case then they can mark all they want....without a number it counts for nothing. Used to be a regular enough trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

34% is a pretty good mark.

No it isn't.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    What's your second last subject as applied maths is the last exam going by the leaving cert timetable, and how long between your last two exams?

Last exam is DCG and I have a day between dcg and applied maths

Do you still have to write your exam number on the paper yourself ? (Genuine question....been a 'few' years since I did a State exam.)
    If it is the case then they can mark all they want....without a number it counts for nothing. Used to be a regular enough trick.

Yeah you write it yourself but our invigilator walks around before we start an exam and checks we've all written our numbers on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Do it . remember 30% @ higher is a pass otherwise drop to ord it is literally impossible to fail order applied maths if you have a very basic knowledge of q1,3,4,5

Well this is a kick in the balls, I dropped two subjects due to barely getting a D3 at higher level in 2010 and now after 2016 you get points for an E? A higher D3 was worth the same as an ordinary B1, which I think is harder to get...

I see Ordinary level points are also even less? Ridiculous, some people doing ordinary and getting A/B grades are doing their best and deserve a top grade but have nothing to show for it. You also get 25 extra points on higher maths for getting 40% or above?

I hope the exams are easier these days because the points system looks to have gone arseways...

• Advertisement

akl98 wrote: »
    Yeah you write it yourself but our invigilator walks around before we start an exam and checks we've all written our numbers on the paper

The Superintendent will fill in a missing number.
    As an examiner, I have occasionally received papers without numbers. It's easy enough work out who it belongs to, if it's the only one in the centre unnumbered.

Advertisement