Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping Locations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Japandamo wrote: »
    Could this be it? It doesn't look like it would be the best location if you were expecting a lot of rain...

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Lough+Dan,+Co.+Wicklow/@53.078981,-6.293622,3a,75y,269.47h,82.99t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sWJ9-ZlGjsLkAAAQprAmXMw!2e0!3e11!4m2!3m1!1s0x4867a2c147922a45:0x8493bbfe0cf2ce50!6m1!1e1

Area looks amazing though, if you learn any more please share, I'm looking at going camping around there myself in the next couple of weeks.
    Oh sorry I completely missed this post and Streetview/Maps refuses to load on my work pc, Ill have a look and get back this evening thanks.

Its a pretty famous area if you want info though, Sally Gap, Lough Tay, Wicklow Way, Route to Djouce etc all in one spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Gone_Dutch wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a wild camping spot around connemara? Near the coast if possible. Usually head to Doonloughlan but wouldn't mind a change. Glassilaun beach was mentioned earlier on this thread, has anyone camped here? Is it possible to find a quiet spot/light a small fire without disturbing anyone?

Omey Island, just across from Claddaghduff. When the tide is out you can walk (or drive) across the beach to the island. Make your way across to the beach on the other side. Tide comes in, you're cut off.

Brilliant snorkeling, amazing view. Beware of cows wandering around. Also, as I was walking towards the camping spot two years ago, I was met by a man wielding a shotgun, but he was going hunting rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mvidega

Does anyone know about a good spot for wild camping near st. Finians bay, Co. Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Mvidega wrote: »
    Does anyone know about a good spot for wild camping near st. Finians bay, Co. Kerry?

Does it have to be St. finians bay? would Derrynane/ Caherdaniel do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Looking for a camping place near to Roscommon

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mac1963

Has anyone ever camped on / near Ballinesker Beach / Dunes just going for one night? please let me know. TY

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

Does anyone know of a good spot for some wild camping on Inishmaan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Mac1963 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever camped on / near Ballinesker Beach / Dunes just going for one night? please let me know. TY

went on holiday to wexford a few years ago on the beach near lady island lake would be a good place

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Thompst1111

Thinking of doing some camping around lough dan along the river inchivore. Anyone know what it's like around there and kind of land it is(grass land etc). Also what kind of animals I may see ( rabbit goats birds) want some nice pics. Also where I could leave my car somewhere that would be safe. Any info will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thinking of doing some camping around lough dan along the river inchivore. Anyone know what it's like around there and kind of land it is(grass land etc). Also what kind of animals I may see ( rabbit goats birds) want some nice pics. Also where I could leave my car somewhere that would be safe. Any info will help.

see from post 7 on

I've parked just past the scout centre before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Thompst1111

Yeah was on to the scout centre they said that. Can ye give me directions from the scout centre and would it be ok for 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ones I know. Use at your own risk

Inishbofin Co. Galway
    : 53°36'44.67"N 10°12'14.30"W - Small scrap of land outside fenced off area, space for just about 1 tent

Inishmaan: 53° 5'41.31"N 9°34'3.36"W - Sand dune outside airport fence. Didn't use this myself but saw tent here

Tory: 55°15'51.48"N 8°14'0.78"W - Field across from social club lots of tents here one time

I'll update this list as the days make us older

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Planning on night with a few kids and parents at Carrowteige, Bellmullet, Mayo. Rinnroe or Rinn Rua beach. Anyone stayed there?

Sherkin, Co. Cork: 51°28'25.37"N 9°25'22.38"W - This is a great one and comes with a free ready-made firepit for your camp fire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Sherkin, Co. Cork: 51?28'25.37"N 9?25'22.38"W - This is a great one and comes with a free ready-made firepit for your camp fire

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/51%C2%B028'25.4%22N+9%C2%B025'22.4%22W/@51.4737171,-9.4248256,1009m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d51.4737139!4d-9.4228833

Are there houses nearby, Ubbiquittious?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Stary

jamesbil wrote: »
    Planning on night with a few kids and parents at Carrowteige, Bellmullet, Mayo. Rinnroe or Rinn Rua beach. Anyone stayed there?

We tried to camp there last summer after walking in the area. Unfortunately a gale force wind came and we had to de-camp very lively as we got sandblasted!. Great spot though, there is some good fishing off the headland beside the pier if you fancy it. Lots of places to make camp on beach near pier. There is a pub in the village (carrowteige) that is worth going for a visit. Its like a sheebeen - no signage and looks like a regular house until you go in - a real experience! Wild west stuff. No shops nearby so bring everything you need. There is a depression in the sand (like a mini canyon) as you are driving to the pier on the LHS. This is a good spot for campsite, although there is probably a better on on the RHS closer to pier. All depending on the wind etc. Great walks in the area. Well worth a visit.

Ones I know. Use at your own risk

Inishbofin Co. Galway
    : 53°36'44.67"N 10°12'14.30"W - Small scrap of land outside fenced off area, space for just about 1 tent

Inishmaan Co. Galway: 53° 5'41.31"N 9°34'3.36"W - Sand dune outside airport fence. Didn't use this myself but saw tent here

Tory, Co. Donegal: 55°15'51.48"N 8°14'0.78"W - Field across from social club lots of tents here one time

Sherkin, Co. Cork:51°28'25.37"N 9°25'22.38"W - This is a great one and comes with a free ready-made firepit for your camp fire

I'll update this list as the days make us older

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Has anyone camped on coney island? I heard that carty's strand at the back of the island is meant to be a good spot? Is there dunes/any shelter?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

I’m hoping to do a half-day kayaking on the Barrow next month (near Borris) and then do a hike on the Blackstairs before returning to Dublin on the Sunday.

Does anybody know a good place to wild camp either near the Barrow or the Blackstairs?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I canoed down the barrow a few years back , the banks tend to either be very high or overgrown , one or 2 of the lock gate area were nice enough if you don't mind the odd jogger, I'd aim to camp in the Blackstairs , though I am not familiar with that range

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An article from Outsider.ie that might inspire more people to go wild camping.

https://outsider.ie/ireland/wild-camping-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hardluck

There is a really great spot in waterford just past rathgormack hiking center. It is called "lough mohra" you can drive all the way up the trail to the top car park and its only a quick walk over to the lough. Great spot for a over night camp and fish even with the kids.

Now were looking for a few new spots in waterford , tipperary , kilkenny areas for this summer if anyone can help us out it would be very much appreciated.

Oh and I hear carlow has a few great places but I have never been there info for any areas there would be good too.

As for wicklow there is loads of places around "lough dan" is a favourite it has a no camping sign to scare of the yobos but its a great spot on the beach or instead of camping on the beach continus straigh across the farm to the trees (follow the river ) 10 min there is a a good place up there

Glenmalure is a popular place there is space for a few tents where the waterfall is or across the road by the river great for kids rope swings from the trees ect. Its all about a 10 min drive from the pub down there. And can get busy in the summer.

There is a great beach just outside wicklow town too "maheramore" beach its called you have to park on the road by the farm and walk down but honestly well worth the find. Take any valuable items out of site though you wouldnt hear an alarm from the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭denismc

Hardluck wrote: »
    There is a really great spot in waterford just past rathgormack hiking center. It is called "lough mohra" you can drive all the way up the trail to the top car park and its only a quick walk over to the lough. Great spot for a over night camp and fish even with the kids.

Now were looking for a few new spots in waterford , tipperary , kilkenny areas for this summer if anyone can help us out it would be very much appreciated.

Oh and I hear carlow has a few great places but I have never been there info for any areas there would be good too.

As for wicklow there is loads of places around "lough dan" is a favourite it has a no camping sign to scare of the yobos but its a great spot on the beach or instead of camping on the beach continus straigh across the farm to the trees (follow the river ) 10 min there is a a good place up there

Glenmalure is a popular place there is space for a few tents where the waterfall is or across the road by the river great for kids rope swings from the trees ect. Its all about a 10 min drive from the pub down there. And can get busy in the summer.

There is a great beach just outside wicklow town too "maheramore" beach its called you have to park on the road by the farm and walk down but honestly well worth the find. Take any valuable items out of site though you wouldnt hear an alarm from the beach.

I hiked through Lough Mohra last year and was saddened to see people are treating it like a kip, there was an abandoned 5 person tent full of beer bottles and tins and numerous burnt out disposable barbecues.
    I was so disgusted I reported it to Coillte and they said they have attempted locking the gates up there but people keep cutting the locks.
    I just understand why you would go to such a beautiful spot and leave your **** everywhere.

I was there last summer and saw a tent full of beer too. Up by the tree line?
    When I go I take as much of other peoples rubbish as i can carry away with me.
    It doesn't seem to matter where you go these days ( camping , walking trails , along every road.) The litter is everywhere and its horrible to see.

I remember there was a really nice polish family caming up beside that tent and he packed it all up and took it all away with him.

Yes it was last Summer during the drought, I was looking at all the barbecues and thinking of a the potential fires with the forestry being so close.
    I just can't fathom why someone would go to all that trouble to bring a tent that far and just abandon it!
    Most of my walking is done on higher ground and thankfully the litter monkeys are too lazy too venture to far from their cars and so the hills and mountains are pretty clean.

denismc wrote: »
    Yes it was last Summer during the drought, I was looking at all the barbecues and thinking of a the potential fires with the forestry being so close.
    I just can't fathom why someone would go to all that trouble to bring a tent that far and just abandon it!
    Most of my walking is done on higher ground and thankfully the litter monkeys are too lazy too venture to far from their cars and so the hills and mountains are pretty clean.

The rathgormack ramblers had a clean up last saturday in lough morha and a coulpe of other places. Its nice to see some people taking care instead of wrecking it. But no doubt the "litter monkeys" haha will be back again in no time. Its a shame thats the way it is but if everyone with a bit of decency takes care of these areas they can be great places to be.

And you're right one small unoccupied fire up there and it will be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Has anyone any suggestions for wild camping in kerry ? A friend and I are planning a little bike pack trip. 1 night wild camping around the Glencar area or anywhere along the west side of carrauntoohil. Willing to hike the bikes if the location is good, wont be lighting any fires idea is to be fed before we set camp. Will be heading for dingle the next day so don't really want to venture further south

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭El Vino

Peter T wrote: »
    Has anyone any suggestions for wild camping in kerry ? A friend and I are planning a little bike pack trip. 1 night wild camping around the Glencar area or anywhere along the west side of carrauntoohil. Willing to hike the bikes if the location is good, wont be lighting any fires idea is to be fed before we set camp. Will be heading for dingle the next day so don't really want to venture further south

I did a boreen which turned into a rough track from Rosbeigh between Coolroe and Seefin mountains into Glencar. There were a few places along here that looked ok, if not keep going to Lough Carragh. You could have something to eat at the Climbers Inn and pop your tent up close to dusk.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=Rosbeigh#map=15/52.0348/-9.9284

• Advertisement

Peter T wrote:

If you are going to Dingle consider camping on the Great Blasket island, an amazing place to camp, when I stayed there, there was less than a dozen people staying overnight.
    There is drinking water there and a hostel that is open during the day, you can get the boat from Dingle or further west at Dunquin pier.

Advertisement