Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping Locations

• 07-01-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Thread to post locations for Wild Camping in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KarlBray74

WICKLOW WAY

Enniskerry Area
    PARK IN CRONE WOOD Car Park Co-Ordinates here 53.164942,-6.218225 (copy and past into Google Maps)

A well known spot for a single max two tent group at the base of Djouce mountain in the Dargle Valley co-ordinates here 53.14632,-6.219209 follow the Wicklow Way when you cross the footbridge across the Dargle you will see green space on the right. Nice spot but if you are camping on a Friday/Saturday it will get busy with lots of walkers/hikers/mountain runners early and most of the day Saturday/Sunday..

Wicklow Way Mountain Adirondack Shelters http://mountainmeitheal.ie/about-us/adirondack-shelter/
    There are a couple of these on the Wicklow Way, great fun for a group and also usually space for 2 to 3 tents around them with filtered rain water (boil before consuming) and also a firepit.

Glenmalure - If you are a beginner and want to just try it out but have comfort to get back to the car! You can park in Glenmalure Lodge Car Park and either follow the Wicklow Way or if really first time you can Camp in some of the fields (with permission) near the Glenmalure Lodge. I have camped in the field opposite the Lodge a number of times at the end of a 3 day stint on the Wicklow Way. Great to have a shower and something to eat and camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Im looking to get into Wild camping myself. Is there any areas in Clare anyone would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

KarlBray74 wrote: »
    WICKLOW WAY

Enniskerry Area
    PARK IN CRONE WOOD Car Park Co-Ordinates here 53.164942,-6.218225 (copy and past into Google Maps)

A well known spot for a single max two tent group at the base of Djouce mountain in the Dargle Valley co-ordinates here 53.14632,-6.219209 follow the Wicklow Way when you cross the footbridge across the Dargle you will see green space on the right. Nice spot but if you are camping on a Friday/Saturday it will get busy with lots of walkers/hikers/mountain runners early and most of the day Saturday/Sunday..

Beware that at this spot during the summer the midges are unbearable. We camp there without issues with proper protection (midge head nets, long sleeves/legs, and gloves) but I've seen less prepared campers pack up and leave shortly after arriving because they're so bad. You've been warned :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

for 1 or 2 people, above the lake near Glencree during the summer is ok, nice view, not many midges, small streams, general area might be a bit boggy in the winter

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

Not heading out to camp this weekend but going for a hike to check out a potential spot. Going to have a look around a place called Carrigbyrne Hill near New Ross in Wexford. Lots of forestry owned by Coillte but it is also a popular area for walkers. Need to easy the girlfriend into the camping lifestyle before attempting a longer trip up by Wicklow later in the year.
    For anyone looking for a nice coastal spot in the south east, there is a great wild camping spot on Booley Bay beach on the way down towards the Hook. 52.20047713 -6.90492868. There is a small lane that leads down to the beach but unfortunately it is blocked off near the end so you cant drive down but a little walk down to the beach and you will see a nice big raised grassy area. Walk over just under the cliffs and you fill see a flat cleared area with obvious signs of camping and camp fires. Have staid there before. Great fishing in the area and wonderful waking up to the beach all to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

im looking for somewhere on the dingle peninsula. anyone could recommend thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

darrcow wrote: »
    im looking for somewhere on the dingle peninsula. anyone could recommend thanks

I would suggest something like caherconree fort for a quick overnight stay

45 - 1hr hike up to it from the road wouldn't be many there at night it is high up and a little exposed though. fantastic views of inch and tralee bay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭denismc

+2 for Caherconnee on Dingle peninsula, Also part of the Dingle way goes from Cloghane to Ballydavid with Mt. Brandon on one side and the sea on the other, its one I am planning for next summer.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

killanena wrote: »
    Im looking to get into Wild camping myself. Is there any areas in Clare anyone would recommend?

Anywhere on the burren really, though it can get a bit boring at times. It's karst landscape and shelter can be an issue at times, but there are plenty of pockets of grass big enough to camp in. Failing that, if you have the time, head up to Connemara instead, you can do the 12 pins horseshoe over a couple of days, or the Maamturks, and hike from Maam to Leenane over the mountains, again over a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Does anyone know of any areas in the North East that I could take my 4x4. That way I can bring loads of stuff, and spend a weekend exploring around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Anyone got a good place north mayo/sligo?
    Maybe near mullaghmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Has anyone camped up at Downpartrick Head in Mayo. Need to do a gear test and looking for a couple of locations close to Connemara

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 5 advancingman

Im looking to find a nice spot around Glandore , Baltimore ,Lough Hyne, Skibbereen area for spot of wild camping. Anyone know of a good spot down around there. I probably will find something but any tips would be handy ! I know there is a campsite on the way into Glandore but rather be in a secluded place preferably wooded area or near sea / lake. Thanks :)

Im looking to find a nice spot around Glandore , Baltimore ,Lough Hyne, Skibbereen area for spot of wild camping. Anyone know of a good spot down around there. I probably will find something but any tips would be handy ! I know there is a campsite on the way into Glandore but rather be in a secluded place preferably wooded area or near sea / lake. Thanks :)
    Last year we camped at Reen Pier near Union Hall, nice sheltered spot surrounded on 3 sides by water. Its actually a spit of land just before the pier itself and there are plenty of grassy areas surrounded by old fishing boats. If you are into kayaking there is a guy does regular trips from the pier during the summer. Atlantic kayaking is the name of the company if you want google it. You should be able to find Reen pier on google maps.

Yes I know the place , went whale watching from there before...thanks for the info, still not sure what Im doing , Was recommended Barleycove by few people, Inchedoney looks a safe bet, and Derrynane was just thrown into the equation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Yes I know the place , went whale watching from there before...thanks for the info, still not sure what Im doing , Was recommended Barleycove by few people, Inchedoney looks a safe bet, and Derrynane was just thrown into the equation ;)

derrynane is good as thereis a place to camp behind the sand hills and there are public toilets nearby too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Just wondering if anyone has camped on Omey Island? I have the tide times for the next couple of weeks and heading out to try and camp

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Anybody know of a good place to camp in the Ringaskiddy/Monkstown area, or anywhere within an hour from Cork City centre? Failing that, how hard is it to get permission from the county council to camp on the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

how hard is it to get permission from the county council to camp on the beach?

That's an interesting question. I don't know. I've actually never heard of somebody looking for a permit from the Council to camp on the beach. Given the increase in popularity of camping in Ireland in recent years, it should be something that they should consider. If you are interested, you should ring Cork County Council: Tel: + 00 353 (0) 21 4276891 or email environ@corkcoco.ie. Maybe you would let us know how you get on?

A licence/permit to camp is not specifically mentioned in the bye law, even though permits are mentioned for other things.
    http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/640037765.pdf

The interpretation section of the bye law states that 'Beaches' are defined as the beaches listed in schedule one of the bye law. 45 beaches are listed in that schedule. If a particular beach is not mentioned, then it wouldn't come within the terms of the bye law. You might want to check that, with regard to where you intend to camp.

Not a lot of use to you at this time of year, but section 2 of the bye law states that it only applies during the Summer Season, between 15th May and 31st August.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Thank you so much! The bye-law on campers and caravans state "A person shall not bring onto, place, erect or keep any caravan, doormobile, tent or other temporary dwelling on any part of the beaches listed in Schedule 1 of these bye-laws without the consent of the Council and subject to the terms and conditions of such permission." I read into the bold part that you could camp on a beach if you got permission (i.e. in writing) from the County Council. I hadn't noticed the list of beaches that the bye-laws apply to at the bottom, it seems I've avoided the whole bye-law snag because the beach where we're hoping to stay isn't listed (thank you for pointing that out!) :D But, I'll ring the County Council offices when they open on Monday anyhow, drop them an email if that's no help, and I'll report my findings back here :)

• Advertisement

I was only the other day at Barleycove in West West Cork and camped on the grass verge ( behind the dunes on the main beach ) for one night. If you pitch your tent in the evening and don't plan on living there I dont see how there would be a problem :) Perhaps these signs that are all over the country are more directed at travellers moving in with their caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

A group of friends and I are planning a camping trip somewhere in Galway this week.

I'm looking for suggestions on where we should go. We'd love to light a fire and we're clean, won't leave litter or mess.

Any suggestions?

Eogclouder wrote: »
    A group of friends and I are planning a camping trip somewhere in Galway this week.

I'm looking for suggestions on where we should go. We'd love to light a fire and we're clean, won't leave litter or mess.

Any suggestions?

If you are prepared to travel an hour from Galway, Glassilaun Beach in Connemara is a beautiful place to camp. There is a dive centre nearby if you want to try diving.
    https://www.google.ie/#q=glassilaun+beach
    Another option nearby is Renvyle beach which has an official campsite,
    http://www.renvylebeachcaravanpark.com/
    Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Does anyone know if you can wild camp on Cape Clear Island south of Cork? I can see that there is at least one "glamping" site but not interested in that at all. Just want a field or a forest or a hill I can put my tent on.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's not a big island and there's no wood on it. I'd guess that wild camping might not be appreciated by the locals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Thanks Mustard. I'm heading there on Saturday morning. I'll try to figure out a site without bothering anyone but if it's not looking good, I'll grab a spot in one of the commercial campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi folks

Looking for suggestions for a wild camping spot somewhere along the coast in Dublin / Louth / Meath. Going with friends from Down and we are from Meath so trying to find somewhere in between. Close to a beach / hiking trail would be great but understandably not always possible!! Any ideas?

A particular fave of ours is Castlegregory on the grassy part facing the beach so would love something similar. Cheers!

Edited to note we are all in our 30s (only 4 going) and one is a member of the scouts so not exactly a rowdy / untidy bunch and well aware of the need to clean up everything before we leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can anyone show me on the map where this poster is talking about in this post from 2007?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52664445&postcount=9
    Luggala valley.Approach from Roundwood on the r759 until you come to the Pier Gates which lead to Luggala Lodge. Walk through the gates along the road and down to the valley floor. Follow the grass track along the hillside to Lough Dan. Cross the Cloghoge river on stepping stones and follow the rough path along the Lough until you reach the Inchavore River. You can cross here on boulders to an island which is just what you are looking for. I've seen lots of tents here in the summer. Good luck
    Im going to have to go camp there now as Ive spent so long looking for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Thargor wrote: »
    Can anyone show me on the map where this poster is talking about in this post from 2007?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52664445&postcount=9

Im going to have to go camp there now as Ive spent so long looking for it :D

Could this be it? It doesn't look like it would be the best location if you were expecting a lot of rain...

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Lough+Dan,+Co.+Wicklow/@53.078981,-6.293622,3a,75y,269.47h,82.99t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sWJ9-ZlGjsLkAAAQprAmXMw!2e0!3e11!4m2!3m1!1s0x4867a2c147922a45:0x8493bbfe0cf2ce50!6m1!1e1

Area looks amazing though, if you learn any more please share, I'm looking at going camping around there myself in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Gone_Dutch

Any suggestions for a wild camping spot around connemara? Near the coast if possible. Usually head to Doonloughlan but wouldn't mind a change. Glassilaun beach was mentioned earlier on this thread, has anyone camped here? Is it possible to find a quiet spot/light a small fire without disturbing anyone?

Advertisement