Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good camping spots in Wicklow further outside of Dublin than Laragh.

Options
  • 19-02-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Nearly camping season soon. CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!

Anyhoo, I’m looking for a good camping spot for between 6 – 12 people (4 – 7 tents).

However I’m looking for a spot that a little further off the track than the usual (Laragh etc).

I want to be able to park the car and not worry about it, or have a sing song around the camp fire and not be annoying the locals.

Me and the Lads are all clued in on the Laws of the Land when it comes to camping, and we leave the place exactly as we found it every time!!!!

So if anyone had a nice little spot, shelter is nice, 5 mins walk from a road is good, a good area for a stroll is ideal etc etc, then can you let me know.

If you want to keep it on the QT and trust me to do likewise then please PM me.

Thanks in advance Folks,

Regards,

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

park at ford in glenmalure and then cross it and camp up in valley somewhere.

longer wealk but park beside scout centre in lough dan and walk up road to track on the right with a gate, follow accross and down tot he beach at the head of the lake

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Is GlenMalure safe to park overnight???

I heard not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mounteer

It is safe. Been there five times with my girlfriend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

park at ford in glenmalure and then cross it and camp up in valley somewhere.

longer wealk but park beside scout centre in lough dan and walk up road to track on the right with a gate, follow accross and down tot he beach at the head of the lake

Here

Sorry to bring a zombie back just wanted to check with cookie about this. I thought that side of lough dan was all private, is there public access or did you get permission from someone?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

People are pretty sensitive around Lough Dan region as regards access etc., so mightn't be the best idea - unless you want to have a chat with a well known Irish businessman who made his money on mobile telephony, I think. ;)

I've camped in Glenmalure on the Camp Field area nr the Youth Hostel - grand but got eaten alive by the midgies!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Been a while but I think there is a style or kissing gate at the bottom of here
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.067391,-6.286798&spn=0.002347,0.005681&t=h&z=18

probably leading up the footpath to the right of the route google show which leads over the flat land here
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.078933,-6.299061&spn=0.004692,0.011362&t=h&z=17
    the beach is on the right

If you're more responsible campers, here
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.080632,-6.310825&spn=0.001173,0.00284&t=h&z=19
    is a better place to camp, It's called Glen Mhuire and was planted by a monk back in the day.

the middle of the heart of Lough Ouler
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.058362,-6.374417&spn=0.001174,0.00284&t=h&z=19
    is good to camp, a bit wet if it rains but sher there you go.

The best place to camp but it takes effort is here
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=52.979105,-6.445995&spn=0.001176,0.00284&t=h&z=19
    top of the waterfall in the Fraughen Rock glen

If you're more responsible campers, here
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.080632,-6.310825&spn=0.001173,0.00284&t=h&z=19
    is a better place to camp, It's called Glen Mhuire and was planted by a monk back in the day.

Curious to know where you got the name 'Glen Mhuire', Carawaystick?? The local people call that 'Johnny's Oaks', others 'The Copse' or even 'The Oasis'. I've never heard of any religious connection there, be most interested as to the source of your info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

There is a nice caravan and camping site in Rathdrum right beside the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BarryD wrote: »
    Curious to know where you got the name 'Glen Mhuire', Carawaystick?? The local people call that 'Johnny's Oaks', others 'The Copse' or even 'The Oasis'. I've never heard of any religious connection there, be most interested as to the source of your info.
    There's a small 'fairy' ring close to the centre of the copse there, that's the only thing I can think of.

Also that place is starting to attract a few too many 'campers' as it is, and is starting to show the effects unfortunately .. loads of burnt areas where fires have been, low hanging branches ripped off the old oak trees to be burnt, discarded bottles, cans and, ahem, other 'waste'. It's a shame as it's a lovely tranquil spot.

A monk or someone carved it on a rock there. It may be lichen covered now. I saw it in the early '90s

It was chiseled on the granite, and painted. I guess it's faded badly now.

• Advertisement

Could it be back near the lake, you saw that by any chance? The wee ruins that you pass, just as the main track reaches the river meadow - that place is Boleynasaggart - buaile of the priest. There's a small personal memorial there. While I think of it, Inchavore refers to the big flat river meadow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A monk or someone carved it on a rock there. It may be lichen covered now. I saw it in the early '90s

It was chiseled on the granite, and painted. I guess it's faded badly now.
    The rock is still there and quite visible, although the markings aren't easily legible as the paint has long since faded. I'd be interested to know if someone has made a transcription of what is written on it.

Barry, the rock, or rather large boulder, is on the south side of the river close to the banks just as you leave the copse heading east.

I must have a look sometime, Alun. Lot's of big boulders thereabouts - I spent some time enquiring after the Clahoppeen Rock which Price described thereabouts. Originally thought it was one of the big rocks on south side but located last year on the far bank - big 3 metre rock capped with heather, just upriver of trees.

Saw it on this rock
    probably in 2003 or thereabouts.

Found the photo tidying up at the weekend

Thanks, there's a credit on it I think, 'Fr.Francis 1976'?? I wonder did he come up with the idea himself?

Looks a bit like an old frame rucksack propped up beside it. They were in fashion in the 1970s I think, like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Thread now moved to the Wild Camping forum.

Thanks, there's a credit on it I think, 'Fr.Francis 1976'?? I wonder did he come up with the idea himself?

Looks a bit like an old frame rucksack propped up beside it. They were in fashion in the 1970s I think, like this one.

The auld external frame rucksacks were durable, that photo was taken in either 93 or 94 I'd say.

Advertisement