Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Any "Blue Bloods" fans will have noticed the Reagans drooling over this cheesecake and so I downloaded the recipe kindly provided by the grandson of the original Junior, and made it yesterday. It takes a while to put together for the first time but well worth it. The base is a thin vanilla flavoured sponge cake with a very traditional filling (I added lemon zest, mainly because I had it in the fridge but also because I simply love vanilla and lemon together). It's truly delicious and already a bit of a mangled mess, so no photos, I keep stopping by to "tidy it up" :o! I bake cheesecakes nowadays in a water bath, made easy by using a giant magic roasting bag....simples! I wish I'd taken a photo but I was so impatient, I dug into it while it was still warm. Shame on me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

C24oCCFXAAAdkc7.jpg:small Not baked, but amaretto fudge, dipped in dark chocolate.

The fudge was too soft as I didn't beat it enough, so the chocolate is for structural integrity. Super smooth buttery fudge, complemented by the dark chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Sausage meat quiche with red pepper and topped with melted cheese.

WP_20170129_001_zpsrqk61lxx.jpg

and these, my first ever attempt. While the oven was on. Only had one egg, so halved the ingredients.

WP_20170127_008_zpsw45cgosb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A Seven Seed Plaited Bread

C605CDA6-2A1B-45FE-916B-10719E465AA4_zpsphjbaal7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^^ Oh lawd....just hand me a lb of real butter please and leave us alone for an hour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

A Seven Seed Plaited Bread

Ooh can you share the recipe please. Looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

irishmoss wrote: »
    Ooh can you share the recipe please. Looks fantastic

It was from a bag of eight (not 7!) grain strong flour mix I think I bought in Aldi.

700g Eight Grain Flour
    15g salt
    25g olive oil
    15g dried yeast
    430ml water

Mix flour and salt together in a mixing bowl then separately measure out water, add oil and yeast then leave for 10 mins to activate. Add to flour and with a dough hook mix on slow for 8-10 mins.

Leave to rise for 30-40mims

Knock back and separate into three equal pieces. Roll out to make three sausage-shapes about 30cm long.

Plait as you would hair tucking in each end under the loaf to make it neat.

Put plaited dough loaf on a floured baking tray and cover with cling film for an hour.

Remove cling film and place in a hot oven 220c fan for 30-40 mins.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It was from a bag of eight (not 7!) grain strong flour mix I think I bought in Aldi.

700g Eight Grain Flour
    15g salt
    25g olive oil
    15g dried yeast
    430ml water

Mix flour and salt together in a mixing bowl then separately measure out water, add oil and yeast then leave for 10 mins to activate. Add to flour and with a dough hook mix on slow for 8-10 mins.

Leave to rise for 30-40mims

Knock back and separate into three equal pieces. Roll out to make three sausage-shapes about 30cm long.

Plait as you would hair tucking in each end under the loaf to make it neat.

Put plaited dough loaf on a floured baking tray and cover with cling film for an hour.

Remove cling film and place in a hot oven 220c fan for 30-40 mins.

I am SO going to try that this weekend! Thank you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm trying to get my baking mojo back, I haven't baked at all this year. So this morning I made a raisin and sultana sponge traybake. It's too hot to cut yet but I'm enjoying the smell :)

CAke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really want to get back into baking too but every time I do I just end up eating it all :rolleyes:

I have a wedding on the 1st June so maybe after that I can get back into it again....for the moment, I have to watch it :P

Looking at this thread is really helping though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Lemon drizzle cake with lemon curd fresh cream and raspberries. The first thing I've baked in months

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Lemon curd and vanilla sponge cake with buttercream.

JDBaleC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Musefan wrote: »
    Lemon curd and vanilla sponge cake with buttercream.

JDBaleC.jpg

Right! :mad: Thats it! :mad: I've had enough of this thread! :mad: I'm taking up baking! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made three rhubarb & strawberry crumble tarts today. One to eat, one to freeze and one to give away.

IMG_2473.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

They look amazing DB.

I'll send you my address for the one your giving away :P

I had promised my husband, so I made snow cake. Something his dd had come up with years ago. Essentially a victoria sandwich, only instead of strawberries and cream it's filled with jam (mango and pineapple this time) and covered in coconut butter cream and sprinkled with desiccated coconut to make it look like snow. I'm not the biggest fan of butter cream myself, but I kept it thin so it's actually pretty edible.

207l4ly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I made the rhubarb and custard cake at the weekend. Dizzyblond's recipe (via the BBC)?

It's delicious isn't it? I don't actually use a recipe apart from the crumble topping which is an old Odlums one, but I'll have a look at the BBC one :)

I made a Victoria Sandwich and blueberry muffins at the weekend, first time baking in ages :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shenshen wrote: »
    I had promised my husband, so I made snow cake. Something his dd had come up with years ago. Essentially a victoria sandwich, only instead of strawberries and cream it's filled with jam (mango and pineapple this time) and covered in coconut butter cream and sprinkled with desiccated coconut to make it look like snow. I'm not the biggest fan of butter cream myself, but I kept it thin so it's actually pretty edible.

Could I have the recipe for this please?

• Advertisement

Sure. As I said, basically it's a Victoria Sandwich, the recipe for the baked part is basically this :

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/130363/victoria-sponge

For the filling, I made a butter cream using 100g of margerine and 200g of icing sugar, softening it with a little milk. I also added coconut essence/flavour to it.
    The jam is home-made pineapple, mango and rum, I don't know if you could buy anything similar in Ireland. But if you live near Cork, I've got a few more jars, so I could give you one of them :)

This is the victoria sandwich - was sooo yummy

leahyl wrote: »
    This is the victoria sandwich - was sooo yummy

Love the pattern on top from the cooling rack :D

Love the pattern on top from the cooling rack :D

Cheeky! :P Any tips for not having that?

leahyl wrote: »
    Cheeky! :P Any tips for not having that?

No, I was being serious! I was about to ask you after how long you'd rotated it to get the pattern!

But if you don't want it, maybe put it on the rack with the other side down? The one that'll be in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

No, I was being serious! I was about to ask you after how long you'd rotated it to get the pattern!

But if you don't want it, maybe put it on the rack with the other side down? The one that'll be in the middle?

Ha I always purposely do that to my cakes when I cool them to get that effect!
    It looks so pretty :)

Oh! haha awks :pac: Yeah, I didn't even move it - I suppose it was on the rack for a good bit and it was fairly warm when I put it on it, so it probably just sank down into it.....I didn't mind it cos I wasn't giving it to someone else but yes, that would be the most obvious thing to do if I didn't want the pattern!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Sure. As I said, basically it's a Victoria Sandwich, the recipe for the baked part is basically this :

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/130363/victoria-sponge

For the filling, I made a butter cream using 100g of margerine and 200g of icing sugar, softening it with a little milk. I also added coconut essence/flavour to it.
    The jam is home-made pineapple, mango and rum, I don't know if you could buy anything similar in Ireland. But if you live near Cork, I've got a few more jars, so I could give you one of them :)

Thank you for the recipe. As for the jam, that's an incredibly generous offer! :) Thank you, it's so kind to offer, but I am in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Didn't turn out as hoped, but tasty nonetheless! Gluten free..."donuts"

Recipe is pretty easy, even if the end result doesn't look anything like the pictures :D

419456.jpg

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Just finished up my second term of afterschool baking with kids from school! 10 very frantic classes but great fun all the same. My favourite thing we've made were margarita pizzas. They look a bit messy but they were made by kids!

Advertisement