Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

How many goes can you get out of €2. I'd be telling my mother,brothers,friends to do their washing on the same day as me and bring them over to run down the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Barbie! wrote: »
    How many goes can you get out of ?2. I'd be telling my mother,brothers,friends to do their washing on the same day as me and bring them over to run down the clock.

Someone would have them up here as the Stinge Family!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    After your clothes are dry, why not just give the dryer more cycles on empty until the money's run out?
    It's what I'd do.

That's a very efficient way to break your dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

That's a very efficient way to break your dryer.
    Not my dryer, nor the dryer of the poster.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

A couple I know are getting married. They've decided to split the wedding cost 50/50 but she has been on leave for a while
    and is a bit short so he's going to make up her shortfall on the proviso that she pays him back once she's back working again.
    Oh the unadulterated romance of it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Thebe wrote: »
    Parked in car wash queue behind a 171 Mercedes S-Class (from about €98,000). Car wash is mostly manual with power wash and a lot of scrubbing by hand and definitely worth the €8 fee.

Layers of mud and grime are removed by two really hardworking chaps to leave a beautiful shining silver S-class. Mr Mercedes hands out a tenner and waits for his two euro change, which he pockets.

Even bangernomic drivers leave the €2 change to the chaps. Stingy ****

I don't see the issue, it's his money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Originally Posted by Thebe View Post
    Parked in car wash queue behind a 171 Mercedes S-Class (from about €98,000). Car wash is mostly manual with power wash and a lot of scrubbing by hand and definitely worth the €8 fee.

Layers of mud and grime are removed by two really hardworking chaps to leave a beautiful shining silver S-class. Mr Mercedes hands out a tenner and waits for his two euro change, which he pockets.

Even bangernomic drivers leave the €2 change to the chaps. Stingy ****

You can't afford 98k cars if you start giving away 2€ to all and sundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

The issue is that he's stingy. Hence why it's in the stingy people thread. Simple.

Daledge wrote: »
    The issue is that he's stingy. Hence why it's in the stingy people thread. Simple.

Stingy would be waiting for 1 cent or something. If you bought something in mcdonalds would you leave without waiting for 2 euro change??

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Stingy would be waiting for 1 cent or something. If you bought something in mcdonalds would you leave without waiting for 2 euro change??

Yes I probably would, but I'm on a student wage and can't even afford a car. Nevermind what this guy is earning. I do know for a fact that if I was in his shoes I'd have tipped the two quid.

And before anyone else says "it's his money", it's the stingy person's money in 99% of these stories, it doesn't absolve them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

My neighbour shares a dryer with me. It takes 2 euro coins to make it run. In a whole year she hasn't put any money in, she uses mine. So the other day I left it with no money inside just to see. She put her clothes in and left them for two days. After coming back and realising she'd have to pay she actually look the clothes out wet and took them away with her.
    She's now using my money again. I don't even know is it the money I'm angry about like having to go to shops specifically for change or her fcking attitude.

I cant understand why you keep continuing to pay !
    Leave it with no money again, she might get the hint !!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crispycrisps

Was out with 2 friends for drinks and we were buying rounds. I bought a round, friend A bought a round and when it came to friend B to buy a round she gave us the money for her drink back rather than purchasing drinks for the group

Daledge wrote: »
    Yes I probably would, but I'm on a student wage and can't even afford a car. Nevermind what this guy is earning. I do know for a fact that if I was in his shoes I'd have tipped the two quid.

And before anyone else says "it's his money", it's the stingy person's money in 99% of these stories, it doesn't absolve them.

Stingy is reusing mouthwash like someone posted a few pages back, it's not stingy to wait for you cash.

Just because someone has money, it doesn't mean they should throw it around. Or the guy with the nice car might not have a lot of money, maybe he has been saving for a long time...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Was out with 2 friends for drinks and we were buying rounds. I bought a round, friend A bought a round and when it came to friend B to buy a round she gave us the money for her drink back rather than purchasing drinks for the group

How was she saving money then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Weird, but not exactly stingy, really. In the end she paid for her own, everybody had 2 drinks and paid for 2.

Her drink was slightly cheaper than the two of ours. She wanted to save the euro and something cent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

gramar wrote: »
    A couple I know are getting married. They've decided to split the wedding cost 50/50 but she has been on leave for a while
    and is a bit short so he's going to make up her shortfall on the proviso that she pays him back once she's back working again.

Hmm. Sounds like a certain Boards member to me;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Her drink was slightly cheaper than the two of ours. She wanted to save the euro and something cent

That is stingy then. Although as a non drinker, rounds do drive me mad.

pilly wrote: »
    That is stingy then. Although as a non drinker, rounds do drive me mad.

She's the type that would order an alcohol drink if you were paying buy a soft drink if she had to pay for herself. That was the end of rounds for us as a group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Smart man. Start off on the right foot. 2017 and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ligerdub wrote: »
    Smart man. Start off on the right foot. 2017 and all that.

Exactly, if it was the other way around I'd say she'd do the same:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Guy in our work group; he offered to pay the restaurant bill on his credit card, collects 7 people's cash including tips. He paid the bill alright ( with no tip added ). Same guy takes home the bog roll from work, and the odd litre of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

If she goes on maternity leave and he covers them for 6 months, will she pay him back when she goes back to work? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Was on a stag weekend last year and a future in-law tagged along who very few of us had even met. Myself and one of my mates grabbed a twin room which also had a fold out couch bed, so told yer man that rather than spending money on a room to himself, he could take the couch bed if he wanted and throw us a few quid towards the room.

It soon became clear that the guy was a serious stinge. Over the space of three days, the man did not buy one round of drinks. He was perfectly happy to order expensive whiskys when it was someone else, and even snuck off to the bar to just get a drink for himself. Even when the groom and a non-drinker insisted on getting a round in, he wouldn't budge. Myself and my mates didn't want to make a big deal out of it as there were a lot of strangers on the stag, but just kept him out of rounds after that

One of the nights we had a fantastic meal and he threw a strop over an extra 2 quid he didn't think he should pay towards the bill. Anyway, it got to checking out time at the hotel and he tried to sneak off without contributing anything for the room. After his penny pinching all weekend, we weren't gonna let him away with it, so caught up with him and asked for a modest and very fair amount for the room. He got all thick and complained, but begrudgingly handed over the money in a ball. Checked it once he was gone and the fcuker had left it short

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You can't afford 98k cars if you start giving away 2? to all and sundry.

Should just put it in the dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I hate stingy people.

I had an American lad stay in the house for Ten days although I wasnt expecting any payment from him because hes related to my in laws, I kinda was expecting at least a drink off him the last day before he flew home.

He was also in the pub the 2nd night he was here for a 60th and the only Two drinks he got were got from Two free drinks tokens.

I thought at first he was afraid to go to the bar but as the days passed he was being tight.

If I stayed in someones house for Ten days and got brought everywhere without paying a cent in Diesel I would at least buy the guy who looked after me a Pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I was at a wedding at the weekend where there was the obligatory box of flip flops in the ladies' room for anyone with sore feet. There was good uptake, they were definitely needed by many at the do. I was in there and one of the guests was stuffing a pair into her handbag in addition to the ones she had just put on. As she was leaving, she said to her friend "Don't forget to take some flip flops to bring home!". How mean do you have to be? I know there was probably some left over at the end of the night but at that point of the evening, she didn't know if that would be the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I know a guy who lives near a hotel. He rushed past a friend of his one day on his way to the hotel. It was later discovered that he was rushing to the hotel touse the toilet facilities. Apparently, when he wants to have a dump, he goes around to the hotel to save on toilet paper and soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I've a housemate who brings all his food home with him when he goes home for the weekend

Everything in the press from teabags and rice to all the frozen stuff, usually about 3 bags full of stuff every Friday evening only to be brought back in the same bags on the Sunday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've a housemate who brings all his food home with him when he goes home for the weekend

Everything in the press from teabags and rice to all the frozen stuff, usually about 3 bags full of stuff every Friday evening only to be brought back in the same bags on the Sunday evening

What, in case the pilfering housemates steals a bit of rice? That is as sad as it is hilarious. And takes the frozen stuff as well ??? Does the flatmate turn the refrigerator off as well to save a few pennies.

Advertisement