Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I hope they are no longer friends.

(To redcups)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    I bet you trimmed the trees and took the playhouse down

No. We are going to invite them around and serve an apple and pear tart..:D

They can go to hell if we are messing with the playhouse. You wouldnt mind but it was a surveyor built it.

She is just pissed off because her playhouse is built absolutely within the rules and ours pisses all over their onw. TBH we didn't have a clue that such a rule existed.

Oh first world suburban problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

LynnGrace wrote: »
    People got 'bills' of three hundred euro for a party, and paid them...well, if so, they are idiots.

Yeah, after a certain point the person allowing such behavior is a bigger idiot than the original stingy person.

But everybody at a party handing over €300 they hadn't been forewarned about? Somehow I seriously doubt that...

LynnGrace wrote: »
    People got 'bills' of three hundred euro for a party, and paid them...well, if so, they are idiots.

Yeah this is the part I'm having trouble with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Yeah, after a certain point the person allowing such behavior is a bigger idiot than the original stingy person.

But everybody at a party handing over €300 they hadn't been forewarned about? Somehow I seriously doubt that...

Don't you always bring 300 euros to any party you attend, just in case?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, I usually don't carry loose change, like the pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

pilly wrote: »
    Tbf if she was looking for a job maybe she just didn't have the money for the paper. I don't think that's stingy actually if you're down on your luck.

The paper was a Euro, and she would spend a lot on ciggerattes etc she wasn't broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Taking battery out of a small alarm clock until the following night after it goes off.

Splitting matches into two with a blade

Refusing to flush toilet after every use to save water.

Adult asking for a half portion of chips in a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Taking battery out of a small alarm clock until the following night after it goes off.

Splitting matches into two with a blade

Refusing to flush toilet after every use to save water.

Adult asking for a half portion of chips in a chipper.

Nothing wrong with that. I'll do that if I get a big chicken fillet burger no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Nothing wrong with that. I'll do that if I get a big chicken fillet burger no problem.

I should have mentioned that was their entire evening meal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think a full portion of chips in a chipper is about 900 calories

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bluewolf wrote: »

Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Toots wrote: »
    Yum!

Just thinking same... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Stan27 wrote: »
    The paper was a Euro, and she would spend a lot on ciggerattes etc she wasn't broke
    I should have mentioned that was their entire evening meal

One of the most :rolleyes: aspects of this otherwise wonderful thread is the posters who 'add bits on' when their initial post hasn't been quite as well received as they hoped. Reminds me of kids in the playground having a "My Da would bate your Da" argument... as they old saying goes: "if you're explainin', you're losin'..."

Also, there's no way that story about the gay couple with the party is true. If it is, anyone who gave them €300 should punch themselves in the face... in fact, anyone who has seen the pair since and not walloped them with a bat should take a long hard look at themselves...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Driving through country village near home and seen a lad with boot full of domestic rubbish dropping it into one of those street bins before moving onto the next one and continuing on!

That is contrary to the Litter Pollution Acts. Have seen a District Judge fine substantially for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I'm not sure if this person is stingey, spoilt or just a total unreasonable human being but I'll let you form your own opinions!

Bit of a longwinded introduction but I'm trying to describe her...

So there were four of us who are good friends geared up to share a house in our final year of college. We found a really reasonable priced 5 bed house very close to the college so advertised on the college accommodation page that we had a single room available for rent at a lower price to all the other rooms as all others were double. The Estate Agent at the time was putting us under severe pressure to find a 5th person as they had huge interest in the house. So a 3rd year nursing student messages almost straight away saying she is desperate for the room, that she'll go see it that day and come back to us. So later on she comes back and says she'll take it, the house is nice but questions whether she has to take the single room as her boyfriend would be up from Cork at least once a week. Personally, I found this a bit cheeky and was already questioning her character..as I already said we had the other 4 rooms filled and we were simply just looking for a 5th person. Anyways the other girls were getting anxious we'd lose the house so we told her we'd knock another 20 euro off the room p/m and this seemed to shut her up.

Fast forward a few weeks and we're all moved in. It soon comes to light that this girl has a lot more disposable finances available than the rest of us. Turns out her parents were separated and through her mum who didn't have much money she was able to claim the maximum maintenance grant which at the time was about 6k a year, her dad had recently bought her a 5 year old Ford Focus which at the time was like an Audi A7 to the rest of us as we were all driving bangers or else nothing at all, her dad paid her rent for her and gave her 50 euro a week together with his fuel card for her car. She also had a well paid part time job in a leisure centre and worked as many sunday hours as she could so she could avail of the sunday double pay. Realistically she had about 300-400euro a week to spend with no rent or petrol coming out of that. She was constantly shopping for herself and eating out.

So soon after moving in we all agreed that each week one person would take turns paying for the necessities- milk, toilet roll, cleaning products, bin bags etc. roughly a tenner a week. Herself decides she doesn't want to be part of this as she doesn't drink a lot of milk, she takes toilet roll from home or robs it from college and she'll give us €2 a week towards cleaning products (which she never did). The same girl drank about 10 cups of milky tea a day, would come down on a Sunday night with one of those 70c milks and would be drinking our milk by Tuesday morning. She also wouldn't contribute towards bins and took her waste home with her every weekend however this often didn't include left over food that she would dump in the main bin bags.

Fast forward a few months following many other stingey encounters such as waking us up at 4am and asking for taxi money because she didn't have it and never repaying us (happened a handful of times) we start getting the electric & gas bills in. This was always an absolute chore getting money off her as she never volunteered to put any of the bills in her names. We would constantly get lectures from her about how we need to cut down on using the heating and electric. The cherry on the cake came with the end of January bill. Herself had been in nursing placement for a good few weeks and would leave every morning around 7.30 and come back about 7pm. The winter bill came in about 50 euro more (roughly 12euro more than usual each) which wasn't too unreasonable considering we obvz had the lights on more during winter and we were able to keep the house warm. Herself said that she wouldn't be contributing to the bill as "she was never there because she was out from 7.30am-7pm every day at placement" even though the rest of us had a mostly 9-5 routine with college. She couldn't grasp the fact that she used the electric shower every evening, used the cooker in the evening, charged her phone all night etc and that by doing so also contributed to the bills. We actually discovered she had an electric blanket on her bed the entire time too. She also couldn't grasp that because we put the heating on for half an hour during the day this avoided the house being colder in the evenings and avoided damp in general. So she came up with this idea to divide the electric bill & gas bill based on the HOURS AND DAYS THAT WE SPENT IN THE HOUSE. We thought she was kidding but the next day she messages us a timetable that she had drawn up for us all to fill in our hours....... A cousin of mine stayed for 3 nights while doing a course in Dublin and she tried to charge her for electricity/gas too even though her boyfriend stayed twice a week and usually robbed all our food. Once she asked us for petrol money for volunteering to drive us to the Omni from the gates of DCU where we lived to do grocery shopping.

As you can imagine, relations broke down severely after this. She moved out at the end of term and somebody else moved in for the summer months as we were all staying on to work. We held on to most of her deposit (which was only €300) because she owed us so much cash from bills and left her room and her cupboard full of junk and old going off food. She threatened to sue us over it at one point and we told her to f*ck off. We also put her down as the main culprit for loads of our stuff such as clothes, makeup and perfume going missing towards the end of the year too. Perhaps a bit more troubled than stingey but a stingey b*tch and potential criminal nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Not going to quote that but what a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

That person sounds like a cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

smeal wrote:
    I'm not sure if this person is stingey, spoilt or just a total unreasonable human being but I'll let you form your own opinions!

She is a total tit. So used to never paying her own way that she now physically can't. Well done, parents, good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Why did you let her away with it for so long? I would of pulled her after 1 or 2 episodes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

She was acting like this all term? Come on, surely something was said to her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

benny79 wrote: »
    Why did you let her away with it for so long? I would of pulled her after 1 or 2 episodes..

The enablers are as bad as the stinges imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

She's not an exception either. Myself and my friends all have nightmare housemate stories, nothing as bad as that though. Although I did have a crazy housemate that used up €200 worth of oil in 2 weeks and threatened to sue the landlord for not getting her deposit back.

What an absolute spoilt twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

razorblunt wrote: »
    She was acting like this all term? Come on, surely something was said to her?

Of course we did.

We got on OK with her for the first while even though she did rob our milk and was a stinge in other ways. Like others in this thread we put up with it for a while until it really got under our skin! It was when the main bills came in that battles started. Hence why relations ended up breaking down. She moved in at the end of September and was gone by the start of April. There are only around 3 electric/gas bills in that period. We got money out of her for the first bills although I think she was about a month late, the second time (the January) she only paid about 50% of her bill and she didn't pay anything for the March bill which is why we took that from her deposit together with the other 50% of the January bill so she didn't get away with it in the end.

It was clear after the January bill incident and our reactions to her that she wasn't planning on staying around much longer. Like I said, the other four of us were close friends and we would have liked to have got on with her but her attitude was stinking and in our eyes she was simply there to fill the room and no more in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

smeal wrote: »
    Of course we did.

We got on OK with her for the first while even though she did rob our milk and was a stinge in other ways. Like others in this thread we put up with it for a while until it really got under our skin! It was when the main bills came in that battles started. Hence why relations ended up breaking down. She moved in at the end of September and was gone by the start of April. There are only around 3 electric/gas bills in that period. We got money out of her for the first bills although I think she was about a month late, the second time (the January) she only paid about 50% of her bill and she didn't pay anything for the March bill which is why we took that from her deposit together with the other 50% of the January bill so she didn't get away with it in the end.

It was clear after the January bill incident and our reactions to her that she wasn't planning on staying around much longer. Like I said, the other four of us were close friends and we would have liked to have got on with her but her attitude was stinking and in our eyes she was simply there to fill the room and no more in the end :)

Once the Landlord/Agent was off your back I'd have booted her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

In the early naughtys we had to rent a farmhouse (a total f*cking kip, by the way) for 4 months before we could move into where we still are today. It was all a bit sudden and we had a six year old child and another one just a month away. needless to say, we had enough on our plates. On our second day in the house we were opening boxes and sorting furniture etc. when the ESB came to cut off the power. We rang the landlord and he said his brother was supposed to be paying it. Anyway he rang ESB and got it sorted.
    Two months later we got an ESB bill for more than twice what we were used to. The landlord was having none of it he blamed us for cooking and using a washing machine. One day I came home from work early and saw blue flashes coming from one of their farm sheds. I thought there was a fire and ran down to see what I could do. There was the brother welding and angle grinding to his hearts content. I said nothing and went back to the house.
    We moved two weeks later and said our goodbyes. A few months after that I met the landlord in town and he asked me for the last two months ESB. I told him to ask his brother for it. He tried to tell me the brother only used the welder once. I walked away and left him there.
    I found out afterwards that the brother was making gates and general agricultural ironmongery between ten and four most days while we were at work.
    A few months later he rang me and asked me for sixty quid for two Flo Gas cylinders that were missing from the premises. I told him to go and f*** himself. Little did he know I brought the cylinders with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd be figuring out what the fuse is to the shed on the fusebox and be switching it off fairly quickly in that scenario!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

bluewolf wrote: »

Totally worth it occasionally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

sligojoek wrote: »
    I told him to go and f*** himself. Little did he know I brought the cylinders with me.

That's theft which is worse than stinge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

osarusan wrote: »
    A market might be different, but I actually think it's really stingy for shopping centres to charge people something like 20 cents to use the toilets inside.
    benjamin d wrote: »
    I hate being charged for toilets. Cleaning costs are built into the usually huge profits of these places so that's no excuse. I also hate paid public toilets like on Eyre Square in Galway, let people have a bloody free piss, it's not as if it's making any dent in the council's income!

What's especially galling is when the toilets you've paid to use are still filthy. Heuston Station used to charge for what were revolting facilities. These days - no charge and they are usually really clean. Weird.

Advertisement