Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

New Home wrote: »
    Pretty sure he was joking - I think he meant she was stingy 'digging her own grave'... :)
    Whoosh!!

OK. Ye Olde Joke has flown merrily above my head.

Mea Culpa! :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

He wouldn't give you last years calandar
    Proper order.

Why hand over a calendar when you can reuse it in 27 years time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Red Kev wrote: »
    I don't think she was being stingy. I think she got the wrong end of the stick and thought he was moving flowers from a strangers grave to one of his own.

A misunderstanding I think, and as has been mentioned above fair play for her for standing up for what she thought was wrong.

That's the way I understood it. :confused:

As above, it was a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Posted this elsewhere but decided to share it here too. :)

A guy in my OH's work is a smoker. A regular smokes-everyday smoker, not an occasional smoker. He never buys his own for work and bums every single cigarette he smokes there, exploiting the smoker's code of being cool with having ciggies bummed of you. The worst thing? If the person who gave him the ciggie starts talking to him, he just stares at his phone, grunting answers at them uninterestedly. Politeness dictates that you don't ignore the bummee! Obviously my OH long ago stopped giving him cigarettes and a lot of people in the place have also cottoned on, but there are still a few people who, for some reason, indulge him. Some people just have no shame. He is an aspiring actor, trapped in financial services, and his attitude seems to be that they are lucky to have the opportunity to give him cigarettes. He does receive digs, subtle and not-so-subtle, from people he works with over his stinginess. What a bleedin' muppe'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

What sort of dopey eejit would give him a cigarette more than once with that sort of behaviour? Surely the correct approach when he asks for a smoke is to say that you've quit, and then light up in his face.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Nothing worse than someone who has "given up" smoking but has one every time someone else is having one. We used to say "he only smokes OP's" as in Other Peoples. Scabby hoors.

I also used to live in a flat with a shared kitchen many years ago and the fella from the other flat was only saying "can I borrow a smoke off you until Thursday?". Needless to say I never saw him on Thursdays!!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Have worked in a number of bars so I've definitely seen my share but some of the worst people are the ones who say "don't worry, I tip well", buy drinks off you for the night and then leave ~50c and tell you to "have one on them". Don't get me wrong, tips don't mean too much to me - I consider them extra, but these people then look at you fully convinced they've been generous expecting you to sincerely thank you for it.

I've also been asked countless times for a round of drinks or shots on the house because said people have spent quite a bit on food or whatever - do they think everyone else in the venue hasn't spent anything?

We also run tabs on drinks, mostly for locals. These locals will take a beer mat every time they get a pint to make sure they're not getting skimped when it comes time to pay. I understand that no one likes getting scammed but surely if you're coming into us often enough you should at least trust us.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

know of someone who won 300k on the lotto, got a lift up from an inlaw the 100 plus miles to Dublin to collect the cheque. The inlaw paid for his own lunch on the way down !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

seagull wrote: »
    What sort of dopey eejit would give him a cigarette more than once with that sort of behaviour? Surely the correct approach when he asks for a smoke is to say that you've quit, and then light up in his face.

It might take a while to cop. If he moves from person to person, there could be two weeks between bumming incidents per person. I can assure you, my OH is no dopey eejit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Daledge wrote: »
    Have worked in a number of bars so I've definitely seen my share but some of the worst people are the ones who say "don't worry, I tip well", buy drinks off you for the night and then leave ~50c and tell you to "have one on them". Don't get me wrong, tips don't mean too much to me - I consider them extra, but these people then look at you fully convinced they've been generous expecting you to sincerely thank you for it.

I've also been asked countless times for a round of drinks or shots on the house because said people have spent quite a bit on food or whatever - do they think everyone else in the venue hasn't spent anything?

We also run tabs on drinks, mostly for locals. These locals will take a beer mat every time they get a pint to make sure they're not getting skimped when it comes time to pay. I understand that no one likes getting scammed but surely if you're coming into us often enough you should at least trust us.

Where are they keeping the beer mats? If they have 5 or 6 pints are they really walking out with 5 or 6 beer mats!
    Surely there are easier ways to count your pints - buying a counter clicker, taking a tooth pick off the beer..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Where are they keeping the beer mats? If they have 5 or 6 pints are they really walking out with 5 or 6 beer mats!
    Surely there are easier ways to count your pints - buying a counter clicker, taking a tooth pick off the beer..........

Maybe they're looking at/confirming the tab at the end of each night/session to ensure that the number of pints added to their tab matches the number of beermats they have - beermats they then return to the bar.

They usually just keep them in front of them and return them afterwards, it's usually a little bit more than 5 or 6 so if you took maybe 10 locals each taking them home a couple times a week we'd run out all the time.

osarusan wrote: »
    Maybe they're looking at/confirming the tab at the end of each night/session to ensure that the number of pints added to their tab matches the number of beermats they have - beermats they then return to the bar.

Hit the nail on the head.

They usually just keep them in front of them and return them afterwards, it's usually a little bit more than 5 or 6 so if you took maybe 10 locals each taking them home a couple times a week we'd run out all the time.

Hit the nail on the head.

Do you not get beermats free from the advertisers anyway?

pilly wrote: »
    Do you not get beermats free from the advertisers anyway?

Yeah, but what kind of bar has to tell a guest they've "ran out of beermats" 'cause the local clientele are a bunch of serial beermat kleptomaniacs.

Yeah, but what kind of bar has to tell a guest they've "ran out of beermats" 'cause the local clientele are a bunch of serial beermat kleptomaniacs.

I only ask cause I tend to rip them up when nervous and I was feeling guilty there for a minute. :D:D

I only ask cause I tend to rip them up when nervous and I was feeling guilty there for a minute. :D:D

As a former barman I'm obliged to tell you that apparently that's a sign of sexual frustration. Could be an old wives tale. It's also really f*cking annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dubguy2017

There is nothing worse than a person bumming a cigarette off you, especially a complete stranger. Or worse still, you give them one, but if you ever ask them, they have an excuse. Cigarettes are so expensive now.. that form is just bang out of line. If you bum one off a colleague, you return it when u have some yourself.

But stinginess.... is someone who u go out with say in a group, and they are the last to do a round of drinks... or they purposely delay 'finding' their wallet hoping that someone will say 'ah its ok, its ok ill pay it'. or someone who u know has the cash, but they bring out the change and count it to the cashier... again hoping u'll just pay it instead of waiting.

As a former barman I'm obliged to tell you that apparently that's a sign of sexual frustration. Could be an old wives tale. It's also really f*cking annoying.

I can completely confirm that's true. :P

And I know, I always try and scooch it up into my handbag rather than leave a mess. :o

I can completely confirm that's true. :P

And I know, I always try and scooch it up into my handbag rather than leave a mess. :o

In that case, you'd be forgiven. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I notice women do that a lot more than men, anyone else notice that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ligerdub wrote: »
    I like to try and get the picture off the beer mat in one piece. The satisfaction is amazing when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

ligerdub wrote: »

Ha! Easy way to tell if your missus is faking it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Ha! Easy way to tell if your missus is faking it

I asked for that in fairness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,056 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

More stinge, less minge.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself.

Taking beer mats is a no-brainer way of keeping track.

or
    Maybe they were Guards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

person in my family who has never ever done the lotto because she wouldn't know how to handle that much money if she won. . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

person in my family who has never ever done the lotto because she wouldn't know how to handle that much money if she won. . .

I don't do it because I couldn't handle the loss if I lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

4ensic15 wrote: »
    I don't do it because I couldn't handle the loss if I lost!

this person is extremely mean and can't bear giving to or helping others. one way to handle a large lotto win would be to share it with other family members who could do with a few bob, but she would rather not take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

this person is extremely mean and can't bear giving to or helping others. one way to handle a large lotto win would be to share it with other family members who could do with a few bob, but she would rather not take the risk.

A friend of mine won the lotto and didn't go public. I said to him one day that he was lucky as he wouldn't be getting begging letters. He said "Ya. There's enough cúnts looking for money off me as it is."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I work in a chocolate shop and we have a tray of samples. It's all handmade and packaged on site so it's mostly stuff that gets broken or scuffed, ends of batches, if there's a new product we'll have that for sampling.

There are a few 'regulars' who'd pass often and always take a bit though they've never made a purchase and that's grand, to be honest. Although there are one or two who just scoop half the tray into their hand, when we see them coming we just take the tray in, there's been words had with them but they don't even break their step when they're doing it so there's not much you can do except head them off. Also there are people who obviously haven't much notion of buying anything but they'd pretend to be thinking it over, take a sample and say 'ok I'll be back later'. Transparent as anything but still, they're maintaining the social contract at least.

But then there are the people who come up and ask us to bag up samples because they're on the way home and it'd be nice to have a bit of chocolate with the tea then but I don't want to buy anything...and could you put more into the bag for me, those samples are only tiny (I mean, translation 'Hey stranger, you're not giving me enough free chocolate')...what do you mean no? What do you mean I'd have to pay. And there are SO MANY OF THEM.

Just have the good grace to keep up appearances for god's sake, it's the brazen stinginess of it that gets me, it's like they think we're a place that gives away chocolate for free and sells it on the side.

Advertisement