Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

How does the US visa lottery go for someone in college Part Time?
    What happens if your entry was successful but you've yet to finish college here?

And do you need so much in a bank account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

How does the US visa lottery go for someone in college Part Time?
    What happens if your entry was successful but you've yet to finish college here?

And do you need so much in a bank account?
    If you win it can take from 1 month to 1 year before you are called to the US Embassy for the formal interview.

Then you have 6 months to enter the United States and ratify your intention to live and work in the country.

However, you can also then return to your own country for a period not longer than 1 year before the US authorities decide that you have rescinded their invitation.

So you have 18 months minimum to finish the course.

You have to be able to prove that you can support yourself financially when you enter the USA. You need $12k at a minimum in your bank account. You also need to show that the figure was accumulated over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

You need $12k at a minimum in your bank account. You also need to show that the figure was accumulated over time

Just thinking about that requirement. That is insane. How the hell are thousands of selected applicants from [basically] developing countries supposed to have $12,000 in savings accumulated over a period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

That's why they randomly select 100,000 people and only give 55,000 greencards. The other 45,000 people will fall into this bracket. They don't want you to win the greencard, go over and be a burden on the system. Most of the people are serious people who have researched what it takes to enter the U.S with a green card and have planned. Unfortunately if you have entered on a whim as you kind of like the idea of winning and moving to the States it's not as easy as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You don't necessarily need the $12'000 in the bank, if you can prove other ways of supporting yourself, but there is more leeway for the CO (Consular Officer) to decide if, say, you are very employable/ have a job offer state side.

Palmy wrote: »
    That's why they randomly select 100,000 people and only give 55,000 greencards.

Can anybody confirm this? Links to back up those numbers?

jme2010 wrote: »
    That's why they randomly select 100,000 people and only give 55,000 greencards.

Can anybody confirm this? Links to back up those numbers?

Well when I won that's what it was. Don't think it's changed from 2009 but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sean635

Hi,

I'm going to do this DV Lottery. Does anyone know how many people from Ireland apply each year? I'm just trying to figure what the chances are. Is it true that you're chances are doubled if you apply with your spouse?

Well if your spouse is applying then yeah you will have two applications in instead of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sean635

Do you have nay idea how many apply each year in Ireland?

For 2015 the number of Irish entries was 7298. Don't know how many one it's normally between 200-300 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

For 2015 the number of Irish entries was 7298. Don't know how many one it's normally between 200-300 people.

That sounds about right, was estimating about 10k circa applicants. The actual winner totals for 'dv-2015' were ROI: 89 & NI: 9. (see previous pages).

Based on these stats, you'd have a chance of 1.22% to win.

There has been a slight decline from previous years when around 250 won back in dv-2013/4 for the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

When is the deadline?

It's done on a capping system by how many people apply from different countries. I think it's around 6%. So once if let's say Russia has total 500,000 entries once the 6% of the total 100,000 randomly selected greencards has come from russsia they will no longer be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

All your DV questions can be answered here
    https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

It does not cost money to enter does it? I entered it their, but it seems strange that I didn't have to pay to do so. My first time entering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It is free to enter. Any site which tries to charge is a scam.

The only site to use is https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah you don't pay unless you are selected, then you will have to pay for a medical, interview etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi all, just a quick note that the 2018 DV entry closes today.

Best of luck :)

Edit: actually, entry closes in about 45mins(!)

12:00PM EST = 17:00GMT

Bonne chance!

• Advertisement

Closed now, but anyone interested in the 'practical feasibility of finding work' fresh off the plane, should glance at expected growth areas namely: 'Bright/Emerging/Rapid Growth Occupations': http://www.onetonline.org/find/bright?b=1&g=Go

Seems 'Tech, Health & Green Industries' are the best sectors 2014-2024. That is, assuming China (manufacturing) & India (services) don't entirely take most of the global growth during this/the new 4th Industrial Revelation.

It does fly by quickly! Good luck to this year's boards.ie entrants :)

Have a feeling the amount of visas made available to places like Afghanistan 4,000, Iran 3,000, Uzbekistan 4,300 (approx figures) in recent years, may well be re-directed to Western Europe in future years. Still diverse, just not as much as before, perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm very interested in emigrating to the US.

I missed the 2018 entry but at least I found this awesome thread.

Does the lottery always open between October and November?

Also those that emigrated, where did you pick to go and why?

That time of year again folks, less than a week to go.

Trump would have helped your visa chances with his plan to restrict the countries that could apply. It would have meant thousands of extra visas up for grabs.

Will be interesting to see the figures from Syria/Iraq/Somalia etc. perhaps many would not bother applying to a Trump run country anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Trump would have helped your visa chances with his plan to restrict the countries that could apply. It would have meant thousands of extra visas up for grabs.

Will be interesting to see the figures from Syria/Iraq/Somalia etc. perhaps many would not bother applying to a Trump run country anyway.

Is this for people that have applied or is the application opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Is this for people that have applied or is the application opening up?

People that have applied. The application process was back in October. Results in May, generally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

The application process was in October, before Trump came to power. So unless he has a say in how the selection process is done, not much will have changed. The interview process is a different story...you can see the issues on BritSimonSays website. But if you don't get selected initially, you don't get to that stage.
    Next years might be a different story though.

This won't come into effect for some time yet, this years winners (as yet to be announced) will be based on the entrants prior to Donald's election win. The only change for DV18 was that Ecuador was allowed to participate.

It's hard to know what will happen for DV19 as it hasn't started, and no details announced as of yet. No doubt the Dems (if possible) may well try to block any large-scale changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluen123

Hi guys,

Well done to anyone getting the green card! Your all luky. I have been applying myself as well. Just wondering if anyone knows what work can i get in the states with a social care degree or whats the equivalent in the states? Tjis all depends if i get the lottery or someone to sponsor me

• Advertisement

Any luck for anyone? Will check when I am home this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

5pm Irish time

Arbie wrote: »
    5pm Irish time

Think it's 4pm Irish time as it say's 'noon EDT'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Too late to apply but I think I'll definitely put in an application next year. Since I identify as an Apache helicopter, I'll be useful in their next military adventures as well as adding in more diversiity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Arbie wrote: »
    5pm Irish time

Think it's 4pm Irish time as it say's 'noon EDT'.

Google says EDT is currently 5 hours behind Irish time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

website for checkin results is down

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spartan5power

So if someone wasn't chosen today is that it? Whats this about holding off until September?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

5 years applying, 5 years "Not been selected at this time" :(:( really gets me every time, even though I tell myself not to get worked up about it, it always puts me down for months after. Need to find another way to get over to my dreamland!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

Hi,

Just found out I was successful in the diverse lottery!

I have some questions about the required funds to prove you can sustain financially in the US. I have just finished college and have little savings just over €1,200 which will go towards visa fee's etc.

I do work but I unlikely will be able to save 12,000 before I am called for interview ( If I even am). Is there any way around this? Has anyone got any experience about this? I was planning on going to the US on a 1 year graduate Visa, I'd rather enter with a green card for obvious reasons! I would be able to save up a couple grand if my interview was later in the year, my case number is xxxx1705x which I believe is quite low?

Would it be pointless applying further without available funds now?

I'd appreciate any advice before I go ahead with the application?

For a start, well done.

Continue with your application. Save, save, beg, borrow (family members might be willing to assist closer to the time should it come to that). They will, and do, look for sufficient funds when it comes to the consulate interview stage. Whether the funds travel with you is a whole different affair..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Continue with your application. Save, save, beg, borrow (family members might be willing to assist closer to the time should it come to that). They will, and do, look for sufficient funds when it comes to the consulate interview stage. Whether the funds travel with you is a whole different affair..

Does anyone have any idea of the time between application and interview?

If at the time of the interview I can prove I am actively saving towards the move, would this be considered because I believe there is a 6 month gap from approval of the visa to enter the US and activate the visa?

I have also read that you can return to Ireland and then have one year to return to the US before the Visa expires, would this be considered as time to save toward the move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Dublin991 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just found out I was successful in the diverse lottery!
    The interview scheduling in 2015, the year I won, was something of a disaster. It looked like many people who should have been issued a Greencard were going to miss out due to bureaucratic ineptitude. In the end, they managed to avert disaster. The good news is that this forced them to improve their procedures. Now, in the case of Europe at least, every winner who meets their criteria is practically 100% guaranteed a Greencard.

Based on the interview scheduling for those drawn in May 2016, your number was called for interview in Feb 2017. From the draw in 2015, you would have been called in Feb 2016. So you have about 10 months to save the money.

Having funds to support yourself is probably the most important criteria in countries like Ireland. It was the only one of my documents the interviewer scrutinised in any detail in my presence. There is no way around it.

Plus you have to show that it was accumulated over time. If your bank statement shows that €12,000 was deposited in your account the week before the interview then you may as well have told them you are a Nazi war criminal.

You still have lots of time to make everything look above board. Get family members to help you out if needs be. You can pay it all back once you have the visa.

Check the Visa Bulletin, https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin.html, each month, starting in October 2017, to see how close you are to being called for the interview. Once your number is current you have to check to see when your interviewed is scheduled for. This is the same location you checked to find out that you won the lottery.

You will have to schedule an appointment for a medical checkup before you do the interview. Once you successfully clear this hurdle, your passport will be returned to you with a temporary Greencard attached. From the date of the medical, you have six months to enter the USA to validate the visa. Entering the USA starts the process whereby the permanent Greencard is sent to your American address, they will not send it to an Irish address. You may then return to Ireland for up to a year.

When I filled out the DS260 form I put down a dummy address. I later contacted a friend in California and asked him if I could use his address. On passing through immigration at Dublin airport I told the official I wanted to change to this address. My point of entry was Chicago. I stayed a week and while there also got a social security number. This was also sent to my friend's address. Then I went back to Ireland and returned to the USA 9 month later.

Remember, if you don't like the USA you can always go home. However, if you don't follow up on this now, in the future, you'll always be asking yourself what might have been.

• Advertisement

HELP!!!

Ok...oddly I have not been selected but also, I have not been told no yet.

I am getting an 'information invalid' message over and over again.

According to britsimonsays there is an issue with the servers/records etc causing thousands of people to see the problem.

He said this is not an indication of selection, but he also says that this happend in DV 2016 and that was an indication of success.

The suspense is killing me. Either way, I'd rather have this glimmer of hope for 3 extra days then got the NO message straight away.

Anybody in the same boat?

Was an issue with their record storage...try now and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

No luck for about the 20th time!

In lieu of savings a job offer from the U.S. should suffice:

"If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will need to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) submitted by a relative or friend residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other evidence."

• Advertisement
Advertisement