Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sean635

Do you have nay idea how many apply each year in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

For 2015 the number of Irish entries was 7298. Don't know how many one it's normally between 200-300 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Raelyn Hot Magenta

Palmy wrote: »
    For 2015 the number of Irish entries was 7298. Don't know how many one it's normally between 200-300 people.

That sounds about right, was estimating about 10k circa applicants. The actual winner totals for 'dv-2015' were ROI: 89 & NI: 9. (see previous pages).

Based on these stats, you'd have a chance of 1.22% to win.

There has been a slight decline from previous years when around 250 won back in dv-2013/4 for the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

When is the deadline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

It's done on a capping system by how many people apply from different countries. I think it's around 6%. So once if let's say Russia has total 500,000 entries once the 6% of the total 100,000 randomly selected greencards has come from russsia they will no longer be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

All your DV questions can be answered here
    https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

It does not cost money to enter does it? I entered it their, but it seems strange that I didn't have to pay to do so. My first time entering!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It is free to enter. Any site which tries to charge is a scam.

The only site to use is https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah you don't pay unless you are selected, then you will have to pay for a medical, interview etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi all, just a quick note that the 2018 DV entry closes today.

Best of luck :)

Edit: actually, entry closes in about 45mins(!)

12:00PM EST = 17:00GMT

Bonne chance!

Closed now, but anyone interested in the 'practical feasibility of finding work' fresh off the plane, should glance at expected growth areas namely: 'Bright/Emerging/Rapid Growth Occupations': http://www.onetonline.org/find/bright?b=1&g=Go

Seems 'Tech, Health & Green Industries' are the best sectors 2014-2024. That is, assuming China (manufacturing) & India (services) don't entirely take most of the global growth during this/the new 4th Industrial Revelation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It does fly by quickly! Good luck to this year's boards.ie entrants :)

Have a feeling the amount of visas made available to places like Afghanistan 4,000, Iran 3,000, Uzbekistan 4,300 (approx figures) in recent years, may well be re-directed to Western Europe in future years. Still diverse, just not as much as before, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm very interested in emigrating to the US.

I missed the 2018 entry but at least I found this awesome thread.

Does the lottery always open between October and November?

Also those that emigrated, where did you pick to go and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

That time of year again folks, less than a week to go.

Trump would have helped your visa chances with his plan to restrict the countries that could apply. It would have meant thousands of extra visas up for grabs.

Will be interesting to see the figures from Syria/Iraq/Somalia etc. perhaps many would not bother applying to a Trump run country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

jme2010 wrote: »

Trump would have helped your visa chances with his plan to restrict the countries that could apply. It would have meant thousands of extra visas up for grabs.

Will be interesting to see the figures from Syria/Iraq/Somalia etc. perhaps many would not bother applying to a Trump run country anyway.

Is this for people that have applied or is the application opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Is this for people that have applied or is the application opening up?

People that have applied. The application process was back in October. Results in May, generally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

The application process was in October, before Trump came to power. So unless he has a say in how the selection process is done, not much will have changed. The interview process is a different story...you can see the issues on BritSimonSays website. But if you don't get selected initially, you don't get to that stage.
    Next years might be a different story though.

This won't come into effect for some time yet, this years winners (as yet to be announced) will be based on the entrants prior to Donald's election win. The only change for DV18 was that Ecuador was allowed to participate.

It's hard to know what will happen for DV19 as it hasn't started, and no details announced as of yet. No doubt the Dems (if possible) may well try to block any large-scale changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluen123

Hi guys,

Well done to anyone getting the green card! Your all luky. I have been applying myself as well. Just wondering if anyone knows what work can i get in the states with a social care degree or whats the equivalent in the states? Tjis all depends if i get the lottery or someone to sponsor me

Any luck for anyone? Will check when I am home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

5pm Irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Arbie wrote: »
    5pm Irish time

Think it's 4pm Irish time as it say's 'noon EDT'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Too late to apply but I think I'll definitely put in an application next year. Since I identify as an Apache helicopter, I'll be useful in their next military adventures as well as adding in more diversiity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Arbie wrote: »
    5pm Irish time

Think it's 4pm Irish time as it say's 'noon EDT'.

Google says EDT is currently 5 hours behind Irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

website for checkin results is down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 spartan5power

So if someone wasn't chosen today is that it? Whats this about holding off until September?

Advertisement