Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

5 years applying, 5 years "Not been selected at this time" :(:( really gets me every time, even though I tell myself not to get worked up about it, it always puts me down for months after. Need to find another way to get over to my dreamland!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

Hi,

Just found out I was successful in the diverse lottery!

I have some questions about the required funds to prove you can sustain financially in the US. I have just finished college and have little savings just over €1,200 which will go towards visa fee's etc.

I do work but I unlikely will be able to save 12,000 before I am called for interview ( If I even am). Is there any way around this? Has anyone got any experience about this? I was planning on going to the US on a 1 year graduate Visa, I'd rather enter with a green card for obvious reasons! I would be able to save up a couple grand if my interview was later in the year, my case number is xxxx1705x which I believe is quite low?

Would it be pointless applying further without available funds now?

I'd appreciate any advice before I go ahead with the application?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For a start, well done.

Continue with your application. Save, save, beg, borrow (family members might be willing to assist closer to the time should it come to that). They will, and do, look for sufficient funds when it comes to the consulate interview stage. Whether the funds travel with you is a whole different affair..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Continue with your application. Save, save, beg, borrow (family members might be willing to assist closer to the time should it come to that). They will, and do, look for sufficient funds when it comes to the consulate interview stage. Whether the funds travel with you is a whole different affair..

Does anyone have any idea of the time between application and interview?

If at the time of the interview I can prove I am actively saving towards the move, would this be considered because I believe there is a 6 month gap from approval of the visa to enter the US and activate the visa?

I have also read that you can return to Ireland and then have one year to return to the US before the Visa expires, would this be considered as time to save toward the move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Dublin991 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just found out I was successful in the diverse lottery!
    The interview scheduling in 2015, the year I won, was something of a disaster. It looked like many people who should have been issued a Greencard were going to miss out due to bureaucratic ineptitude. In the end, they managed to avert disaster. The good news is that this forced them to improve their procedures. Now, in the case of Europe at least, every winner who meets their criteria is practically 100% guaranteed a Greencard.

Based on the interview scheduling for those drawn in May 2016, your number was called for interview in Feb 2017. From the draw in 2015, you would have been called in Feb 2016. So you have about 10 months to save the money.

Having funds to support yourself is probably the most important criteria in countries like Ireland. It was the only one of my documents the interviewer scrutinised in any detail in my presence. There is no way around it.

Plus you have to show that it was accumulated over time. If your bank statement shows that €12,000 was deposited in your account the week before the interview then you may as well have told them you are a Nazi war criminal.

You still have lots of time to make everything look above board. Get family members to help you out if needs be. You can pay it all back once you have the visa.

Check the Visa Bulletin, https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin.html, each month, starting in October 2017, to see how close you are to being called for the interview. Once your number is current you have to check to see when your interviewed is scheduled for. This is the same location you checked to find out that you won the lottery.

You will have to schedule an appointment for a medical checkup before you do the interview. Once you successfully clear this hurdle, your passport will be returned to you with a temporary Greencard attached. From the date of the medical, you have six months to enter the USA to validate the visa. Entering the USA starts the process whereby the permanent Greencard is sent to your American address, they will not send it to an Irish address. You may then return to Ireland for up to a year.

When I filled out the DS260 form I put down a dummy address. I later contacted a friend in California and asked him if I could use his address. On passing through immigration at Dublin airport I told the official I wanted to change to this address. My point of entry was Chicago. I stayed a week and while there also got a social security number. This was also sent to my friend's address. Then I went back to Ireland and returned to the USA 9 month later.

Remember, if you don't like the USA you can always go home. However, if you don't follow up on this now, in the future, you'll always be asking yourself what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

HELP!!!

Ok...oddly I have not been selected but also, I have not been told no yet.

I am getting an 'information invalid' message over and over again.

According to britsimonsays there is an issue with the servers/records etc causing thousands of people to see the problem.

He said this is not an indication of selection, but he also says that this happend in DV 2016 and that was an indication of success.

The suspense is killing me. Either way, I'd rather have this glimmer of hope for 3 extra days then got the NO message straight away.

Anybody in the same boat?

Was an issue with their record storage...try now and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

No luck for about the 20th time!

In lieu of savings a job offer from the U.S. should suffice:

"If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will need to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) submitted by a relative or friend residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other evidence."

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    No luck for about the 20th time!

In lieu of savings a job offer from the U.S. should suffice:

"If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will need to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) submitted by a relative or friend residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other evidence."

20th time = 20 years :( - this sucks. I thought i was feeling it after 4 years, jeesus. Sorry to hear that. It really is the luck of the draw i guess, have heard people say they applied once and got it on the first try.

Here's hoping for us all long-timers :)

There has to be an easier way!

I have double the chance for all future entries as my missus wants to move so she applies every year separately.

Even though my chances are doubled no luck now 2 years running (4 entries).

Here's to next here and I mean it nicely but **** that guy who got it first time...bastard isn't even an active boardsie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ceallaighbrian

Hey so managed to get selected this year! Just have a question about the timeline. My number is 2018EU000028** so as I understand I should be able to apply in October? Just wondering how long I would have to wait until my interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Hey so managed to get selected this year! Just have a question about the timeline. My number is 2018EU000028** so as I understand I should be able to apply in October? Just wondering how long I would have to wait until my interview?
    Your number will become current in October 2017. In the first week of that month, you will receive an email telling you to check the www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC website. Provided you returned the DS260 form, your interview will be in November.

Start filling out this form now. It requires an awful lot of personal information such as every address you have lived at since 16, as well as dates, address and contact detail for every job.

You will only be called for the interview if they have completed the processing of this form. Some people with low numbers delay returning the form to put back their interview date. Not sure if that's recommended, but it is a common practice.

Hey so managed to get selected this year!

Well done and feck ya anyway. Good luck with it all.

Love to see an active member win it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Not selected of course....boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Not chosen for the sixth time.

I wonder does having just a high school degree lessen your chance to get picked

cena wrote: »
    Not chosen for the sixth time.

I wonder does having just a high school degree lessen your chance to get picked

Nope. I've got a college degree and my partner has a post grad. We've not been selected 2 years running.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Trump_Wall

Does anyone know when registration for the next program is open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

I won the very first time I applied. Applied 2008 for 2009 got the Visa Feb 2010. Been living here 6 years this August.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Palmy wrote: »
    I won the very first time I applied. Applied 2008 for 2009 got the Visa Feb 2010. Been living here 6 years this August.

Fantastic well done!! And kudos for moving too.

Like others, applied a bunch of times & nada! Really annoys me when you hear of people applying for the laugh, getting selected & doing nothing, when so many here & around apply with the hopes of moving & never get selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Trump_Wall wrote: »
    Does anyone know when registration for the next program is open?

1st October. I have a reminder on my phone :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I was selected for DV2018.

I completed the "DS-260 Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application".

Do I now need to "Step 1: Register your appointment online"
    as per:
    https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/DBL%20-%20Dublin.pdf

or do I wait for an interview date?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

fleet wrote: »
    I was selected for DV2018.

I completed the "DS-260 Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application".

Do I now need to "Step 1: Register your appointment online"
    as per:
    https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/DBL%20-%20Dublin.pdf

or do I wait for an interview date?

To answer my own question, I got a reply from the Embassy.

We wait until we're given an interview date, then we register the appointment online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

So October is approaching... When does the registration open exactly? Anybody know please?

Hey has anyone else done their interview or got an email for this month? My email said that 'We require your passport for at least 10 working days for visa processing'. Wondering has anyone else had a wait over 10 days? From my J1 experience I'd usually got my passport back within 5 days.

Is it a problem that you need your passport within those 10 days? If not don’t worry about it.

Yeah I was looking to travel to the states pretty soon after my interview for a wedding, was going to book flights the week after the interview but not sure if its worth the risk. Wanted to find out anyones past experiences with the wait time...

• Advertisement

Think it took me about 7 days to get it back. I’d hold off booking just Incase.

Advertisement