Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

lxflyer wrote: »
    One would assume so, or it could display Parnell - that level of detail will be decided when the service finally starts up.

That's some time off yet.

Parnell would make more sense to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Probably already covered, but I was walking past the works outside the TCD's provost's house at the bottom of Grafton St and noticed just how narrow that road is. There seemed to be very little room left with DB & coaches passing on one side for a luas to pass by on the other at the same time. Is it wishful thinking on DCC's part to allow vehicles to pass through while also achieving the frequency of Luas service that they expect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Probably already covered, but I was walking past the works outside the TCD's provost's house at the bottom of Grafton St and noticed just how narrow that road is. There seemed to be very little room left with DB & coaches passing on one side for a luas to pass by on the other at the same time. Is it wishful thinking on DCC's part to allow vehicles to pass through while also achieving the frequency of Luas service that they expect?

Lower Grafton Street will surely be bus and tram only?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Anita Blow wrote: »

Lower Grafton Street will be bus, taxi and LUAS only. They will all have to share the same space with no overtaking.

There is sufficient space for a traffic/LUAS lane in each direction.

I agree, that map is very crude I must say - I'm actually in the process of creating a map myself - I saw another individual's effort (using an American schematic style) here and it's aesthetically way superior - mine is also quite American but includes all rail transit routes within the Short Hop Zone. Hope to share it with you in the coming weeks - again, it will look far more professional IMO.

EDIT: It's actually a map done by mjohnoston over on SkyscraperCity...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1649390&page=48

Please scroll down - about the 8th post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

lxflyer wrote: »
    Lower Grafton Street will be bus, taxi and LUAS only. They will all have to share the same space with no overtaking.

There is sufficient space for a traffic/LUAS lane in each direction.

Well, bus, taxi, Luas only...and some emergency vehicles, or Gards just mooching about. And sure, you'd have to let the delivery vehicles in. And of course, the council vehicles would definitely need access, very important.

I'm sure they'll all be driven by highly competent drivers with an understanding of where not to park, even if you have your hazard lights on.

Middle Man wrote: »
    I agree, that map is very crude I must say - I'm actually in the process of creating a map myself - I saw another individual's effort (using an American schematic style) here and it's aesthetically way superior - mine is also quite American but includes all rail transit routes within the Short Hop Zone. Hope to share it with you in the coming weeks - again, it will look far more professional IMO.

EDIT: It's actually a map done by mjohnoston over on SkyscraperCity...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1649390&page=48

Please scroll down - about the 8th post...

That was me, made a typo when signing up for an account and couldn't be bothered correcting it :)

I'm still working on a more complete version of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hope they have the ability to tackle anti social behaviour from O'Connell st north. I was against extending the line to Broombridge as it's asking for trouble. We are where we are, it will need to be looked after.

Hope they have the ability to tackle anti social behaviour from O'Connell st north. I was against extending the line to Broombridge as it's asking for trouble. We are where we are, it will need to be looked after.

This is a really unhelpful attitude

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is a really unhelpful attitude

I know the area and know what's coming. Don't be surprised to see trams passing through O'Connell st with their with their windows put through. Ask Irish Rail if you think it's fantasy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Been a long time since I've personally experienced anything hitting an IR train at Broombridge.

Building over the waste land beside the station no doubt has done a lot of good.

Not that we should be contemplating allowing a small number of assholes dictate where we run PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They'll all end up in the Liffey

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Nice map MJohnston, much more aesthetically pleasing and legible.

It may have been mentioned somewhere on the skyscrapercity thread, so apologies if that's the case, but is there anything to be said for indicating that O'Connell St is northbound, and Marlborough southbound?

Also, just in case you haven't noticed, there's a typo on Brides Glen :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Been a long time since I've personally experienced anything hitting an IR train at Broombridge.

Building over the waste land beside the station no doubt has done a lot of good.

Not that we should be contemplating allowing a small number of assholes dictate where we run PT.

There will be 24 / 7 security on site at the Broombridge depot too so that will help a lot. I don't think Irish Rail ever had dedicated security there.

Do you honestly think the Northside is the only part of the city that has social problems???

Get a grip - the Luas Red Line goes through some very disadvantaged areas and it has survived even if there are notable problems. The DART goes through disadvantaged areas and it has survived for nearly 33 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Middle Man wrote:
    Get a grip - the Luas Red Line goes through some very disadvantaged areas and it has survived even if there are notable problems. The DART goes through disadvantaged areas and it has survived for nearly 33 years.

Sure Bray is a kip too let's not forget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

The idea that somehow we should reserve infrastructure for only areas where it will be "looked after" is faintly ridiculous.

Better infrastructure brings people OUT of bad situations. If your only aim is to link D4 and the Airport, then you have a fairly myopic view of the point of infrastructure in a city. :rolleyes:

My philosophy with these things is that it's better to preempt and prevent problems.

<snip> Off topic.

Consonata wrote: »
    Better infrastructure brings people OUT of bad situations.

This is it completely. You don't solve anti-social problems by cutting people off from progress and from the ability to commute more efficiently to better jobs (because it becomes more financially possible to do so). You don't deprive those areas ever further of infrastructural investment or make them more insular by isolating them from the rest of the city.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My philosophy with these things is that it's better to preempt and prevent problems.

<snip> Off topic.

Dodgy areas without investment will remain dodgy. Your plan would condemn poor areas to remain poor. In London, the Kings Cross area was a no go area for years, now it's a very desirable place to live. The thing that changed it? Investment in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

I use Broombridge station at the moment and it's not exactly the warzone that some think. There is some antisocial behaviour but that is probably opportunistic as the area is quiet and unlit. When the Luas opens it should be busier and safer.

The area is already being developed and gentrified, with plans for many new apartments and houses close to Broombridge. There are hundreds of new houses and apartments under construction in Ashtown/Royal Canal Park, a few minutes walk from Broombridge. Some of this is definitely due to the Luas being nearby.

People in all areas deserve good infrastructure and we can't let the potential actions of a minority stop everyone else from benefitting from an affordable, reliable, safe way to get to work/school/college/hospital, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

<snip> Off topic.

Why is it that everyone on boards is convinced the red line is some kind of crack den? I've used it in and out from the city centre to Tallaght for years and never once had an issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @ Kermit.de.frog

Can you refrain from tarring those north of OCS as being anti-social.

Any further on this will be treated as trolling.

Some posts have been deleted as off topic.

Sam

Mod: @ Kermit.de.frog

Can you refrain from tarring those north of OCS as being anti-social.

Sam

I didn't. I have accurately pointed out the problems with an area I know well and how this will effect the Luas line inevitably.

This does not apply to everyone in the area, obviously, nor did I say it did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I didn't. I have accurately pointed out the problems with an area I know well and how this will effect the Luas line inevitably.

This does not apply to everyone in the area, obviously, nor did I say it did.

Mod: Do not reply to mod instructions or rulings on thread. If repeated you will get time to reflect. Use PMs instead.

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

The lads were busy today at the corner of Dawson St & Stephen's Green

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

The streets and footpaths of Dublin are usually in poor condition so it's really great when a project like this comes along, tidies them up and gives them some definition. Dublin will look really well by the autumn, St Stephens Green in particular.

Quality public transport is an added benefit too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

markpb wrote: »
    The streets and footpaths of Dublin are usually in poor condition so it's really great when a project like this comes along, tidies them up and gives them some definition. Dublin will look really well by the autumn, St Stephens Green in particular.

Quality public transport is an added benefit too :D

This. Before the luas works, Dominick st looked like a complete kip and now with the new footpaths, it looks actually decent. This is for upper btw. Not sure what they've done for lower but I'd imagine it's the same story as well.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    This. Before the luas works, Dominick st looked like a complete kip and now with the new footpaths, it looks actually decent. This is for upper btw. Not sure what they've done for lower but I'd imagine it's the same story as well.

There's only so much you can do on Lower Dominick Street with those abandoned flats still around. The empty lot really needs to be developed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's only so much you can do on Lower Dominick Street with those abandoned flats still around. The empty lot really needs to be developed too.

For the empty lot, I believe planning permission has been granted for new apartments. The flats across the road are however not abandoned. Just the ground floor are. It's only accessed from the rear.

Advertisement