Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'll keep in as far as I can on that stretch.

Although, thinking about it, there won't be too many behind me, when I get to that point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I remember parts of it being about 19% but 147%eek.png
    have you seen inception?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

have you seen inception?

Yes, and good to know the idea is germinating.

To undo the damage, I seem to remember it being avoided on a Randonee a few years back because it's impossible to get traction when the road is really wet. Can't remember how wet it was last year but the forcast for Saturday isn't exactly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, and good to know the idea is germinating.

To undo the damage, I seem to remember it being avoided on a Randonee a few years back because it's impossible to get traction when the road is really wet. Can't remember how wet it was last year but the forcast for Saturday isn't exactly dry.
    If I recall correctly, it was reasonably dry during The Wall. I think the rain/wind/hail started between the Gap and Laragh.

(PS - was it 2014 that a whole swathe of the route was cut out at short notice due to weather?)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

If I recall correctly, it was reasonably dry during The Wall. I think the rain/wind/hail started between the Gap and Laragh.

(PS - was it 2014 that a whole swathe of the route was cut out at short notice due to weather?)

That was 2015 I think.

• Advertisement

wowy wrote: »
    That was 2015 I think.

I had thought it was cancelled in 2015 but I did a search here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057379825&page=12 and found some amazing stories of perseverance in the most horrendous conditions. They skipped the Wall but included Shay Elliott eek.png

A group of us went out on the Monday in grand conditions and did the normal Randonee route but well done to anyone who completed (or even started) on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭nilhg

I had thought it was cancelled in 2015 but I did a search here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057379825&page=12 and found some amazing stories of perseverance in the most horrendous conditions. They skipped the Wall but included Shay Elliott eek.png

A group of us went out on the Monday in grand conditions and did the normal Randonee route but well done to anyone who completed (or even started) on the Saturday.

Shay Elliot was somewhat sheltered from the wind, but the Featherbeds were fairly iffy that day, I was glad to turn down Glencree, even if it was hairy enough with the amount of water about.

Average temp for the day was 7c, not what you'd be expecting on an May Bank Holiday...

Edit: Just had a look, it seems the latest runs of the weather models are pushing this weekends rain back till Sat night and Sun morning, so hopefully we'll have no repeat of '15 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

nilhg wrote: »
    Shay Elliot was somewhat sheltered from the wind, but the Featherbeds were fairly iffy that day, I was glad to turn down Glencree, even if it was hairy enough with the amount of water about.

Average temp for the day was 7c, not what you'd be expecting on an May Bank Holiday...

Edit: Just had a look, it seems the latest runs of the weather models are pushing this weekends rain back till Sat night and Sun morning, so hopefully we'll have no repeat of '15 this year

Weather is looking good at the moment so fingers crossed, it stays that way. We have plan B in case things but it doesn't look like we'll need it.

Hey all,
    Just wanted to let you know that we plan on closing the online entry system this evening at 6pm and won't be taking entries on the day so if you're interested in coming along and haven't entered yet, make sure you get your details in today.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Lads, I've hardly got out once a week this year but I'm going to give this a shot :cool:

I'm going alone, hoping to make some mates along the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ive less than 300km in my legs this year Einstein and I'm doing it too so you will be in good company no doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Very tempted to do this. Though I won't know if I have college or not on the Saturday till tomorrow

D3PO wrote: »
    ive less than 300km in my legs this year Einstein and I'm doing it too so you will be in good company no doubt :)

Just a reminder that we have a slightly easier version this year so if you're not feeling the love on the first climb, you can opt out at around the 18km mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

D3PO, haha sound! I'll try to go easy at the start, I find that I personally burn myself out within 100k at most of these events thinking I'm doing the TDF

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Fighting off a virus that's been hanging around for about 10 days. Think I will be checking the weather on Saturday morning before a final decision

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

So, who's going?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm in, not enough miles in the legs this year to even think of the wall though so I'm in for the Lite

I'm in. Full Fat.
    I'll be the aul' lad in black, with a black and red helmet on a black Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, with red bar tape. Give me a shout, as you pass me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I'm going. Good course, well organised and supporting charity. And I heard there is cake. And I revisited the wall a few times this week - although I haven't the legs I had last time I went up there I do have gears that weren't even dreamed of back then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

I'm out, sore throat came back with a vengeance this morning. I have 1 and possibly 2 entries if anybody is suddenly energetic and wants them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'll be there, Kildare CC, black Felt

See you there. I'll be in Boards tights and jersey (though that will probably be under a few more layers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I'll be there. The only blue Pintail bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'll be there.MAD mtb jersey. Unfortunately failed to pick up my box of gels from the bike shop, hopefully someone enterprising is selling them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

See you there. I'll be in Boards tights and jersey (though that will probably be under a few more layers).
    Tights? In April?? :D

I'll be there in the Boards.ie pink/green edition (shorts of course) on a black/red Fuji.

brownian wrote: »
    I'll be there. The only blue Pintail bike.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭billyhead

Was signed up to do it this year but have to give it a miss as I have a chest infection this week and only got out for a short spin yesterday to test the body and it wasn't a good idea. Best of luck everyone. Hope the rain holds off and remember to smile for the cameras going up the wall.

Tights? In April?? :D

281hrgo.jpg

YES

Gerry wrote: »
    I'll be there.MAD mtb jersey. Unfortunately failed to pick up my box of gels from the bike shop, hopefully someone enterprising is selling them in the morning

Hey Gerry,
    We'll have a small shop there when you can pick up things like gels so we have you covered!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'll be there. IRC kit. Signed on this evening so I'm good to go!

Advertisement