Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2017

Options
  • 10-01-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wanted to let you know that we're putting the finishing touches to this years Orwell Randonnee which will be taking place on Saturday the 29th of April.

Due to the positive feedback we got from last years participants, we've decided to use the same route as last year and for the first time we will be adding a slightly easier route : the Randonnee Lite. This shorter route removes some of the climbing at the start of the event but it should be considered a great achievement to complete it.

Looking forward to having our regulars back and for anyone planning some serious cycling this year, it's a great event to use to test the legs.

Details to follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Please throw in some good weather this year. The last two have been as bad weather wise as anything i've ever cycled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

In

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Having sorted out a 34-32 low gear, I am in again this year.
    I promise not to cry this year, when I see The Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Has anyone a Strava link to the route from last year. I'm half thinking of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Has anyone a Strava link to the route from last year. I'm half thinking of doing it

Here's mine from 2016: https://www.strava.com/activities/561337901 a cold cold day with the run for home down off of Sally Gap! Great though - can't wait for this years' one again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Having sorted out a 34-32 low gear, I am in again this year.
    I promise not to cry this year, when I see The Wall.

Indulge me while I recall a conversation I had during last years Randonnee after doing said "Wall"

"The Wall?...The Wall? are people sh1tting me? What the F##K is that thing!" while point ahead of me at what looked like a Hill built on a frickin' roller coaster up ramp! :(

That aside, even with the terrible weather last year ala the cold rain and sleet up in the mountains, it was a savage day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

How many Calories in the Randonnee Lite?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

Here's the sign on page folks which includes details of both routes : https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-randonnee-2017-tickets-31066592013

bazermc wrote: »
    How many Calories in the Randonnee Lite?
    About half a burger and 2 slices of carrot cake...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Signed up for this last night. Very impressed with the dietary preference drop-down menu. :)

Shur oo wuidn't find dat in de likes a de Toor de Frence.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Signed up for this last night. Very impressed with the dietary preference drop-down menu. :)

Shur oo wuidn't find dat in de likes a de Toor de Frence.

Thanks! We aim to please. Speaking of food, based on feedback from last years participants, we've upgraded our burgers this year and gone for the gourmet option. I tested them over the weekend and they're defo worth the suffering. Only issue was trying to cycle over Ticknock and not to get a second helping!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    Signed up for this last night. Very impressed with the dietary preference drop-down menu. :)....
    Sounds like they are preparing musette bags for us! :)

Sounds like they are preparing musette bags for us! :)
    We priced a horse feed bag but couldn't get it past the committee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Thanks! We aim to please. Speaking of food, based on feedback from last years participants, we've upgraded our burgers this year and gone for the gourmet option. I tested them over the weekend and they're defo worth the suffering. Only issue was trying to cycle over Ticknock and not to get a second helping!

Well done. The only slight negative last year was the "ordinaryness" of the burgers at the end of a fantastic cycle.

Well done. The only slight negative last year was the "ordinaryness" of the burgers at the end of a fantastic cycle.

Thanks. For those that are interested, here's our new provider : https://owelorganic.wordpress.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Thanks. For those that are interested, here's our new provider : https://owelorganic.wordpress.com/

Absolutely fantastic burgers and meat from those guys, as good as you could hope to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Signed up and ready to go although knowing I will suffer like a dog and most likely be the last or one of the last rolling into the finish. I really should change my boards username to the anchor !
    I presume this is going to be split into a number of groups based on average speed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

D3PO wrote: »
    Signed up and ready to go although knowing I will suffer like a dog and most likely be the last or one of the last rolling into the finish. I really should change my boards username to the anchor !
    I presume this is going to be split into a number of groups based on average speed ?

From memory, it's a case of natural selection.
    Always a good spin.

ok cheers Eamonn. Guess it will be 135km of a solo spin for me so lol

Like most sportives, after the initial jockeying for position, it will settle down and groups will form of roughly similar ability. The climbs will then shake these up a bit but you should be able to find a few cyclists going at your pace. It's worth suggesting that you work together on the flatter sections though I can't remember too many of them on the Randonée.
    The critical point is not to be too ambitious early on as it's a long day on and off the saddle.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks Mexican. Only done the one sportive before the joe loughmann randonee last year and that set out in groups based on speed so I knew who to stick with, once the grade went above 4% I was quickly distanced by all but a small handful of riders and ended up just about hanging onto 4 others to the finish and it was probably more a case of them taking the foot off the gas than me actually sticking with them.

Sure lets see what happens. Rare I get a pass from the missus so I will enjoy it regardless.

Loo

One of the few sportives where the climbing begins as soon as you turn out the gate. The first few kms up to Glencullen usually thins it out quite quickly.

Any idea of where the food/water stops are along the way?

exactly my concern wishbone lol I could get isolated fairly fast ! anyway improbably being overly worried. I might pm ghosty to get an idea of the kind of times the slower riders posed last year.

Foodstop in Laragh around the 65k mark. Can't recall if there were additional water stops but the weather is traditionally very wet so they probably won't be necessary.

Foodstop in Laragh around the 65k mark. Can't recall if there were additional water stops but the weather is traditionally very wet so they probably won't be necessary.

This from the only man who can complete a 200km cycle on one 500cc bidon😜

I'd imagine I'll be cycling with my tongue hanging out for a lot of it anyway so that'll save having
    to fill the bidons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Their was a water stop around the start of lake drive last year. I didn't stop but it looked like they had energy products as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

There was a van, possibly two, doing the rounds along the way. Or maybe one was a 4x4, can't remember really. I know they were at the top of Sally Gap the first time you hit it, and near Blesso, near the bridge after Lake Drive. I think they were at a few spots tbh. Water was never an issue.

I can't remember the actual food stops for some reason!
    exactly my concern wishbone lol I could get isolated fairly fast ! anyway improbably being overly worried. I might pm ghosty to get an idea of the kind of times the slower riders posed last year.

Lets just say the car park was pretty empty when I got back last year. There were about a dozen cars left, but while I was there the marshals were chatting about a few people who were still heading up to Sally Gap for the final time, a dozen or so.

I started at 8:57 and had a moving time of 7hrs and 30mins but a total time of 8hr 16 mins. So I was back about 6pm? I'm no young whippet trying to do these things in epic times! I just like to be able to do them.

You are more than entitled to feel like a badass mofo, when you've completed it btw.

• Advertisement

...I can't remember the actual food stops for some reason!...
    It was in the Brocagh Centre, Laragh. Quite a good spread if I recall correctly including the very over-rated carrot cake. Soup was spot on. The place was mobbed - standing room only for many. I think we spoke briefly at the door when I was leaving and you were entering.

Advertisement