Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thanks unknown good to know.

I suspect I will be in the 7 hrs 15 mins  to 7 hrs 30 mins bracket so this gives me a good idea. Did you spend most of the cycle solo or did you find yourself in a small group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

I was about 7 hrs moving last year and to be honest I was totally crocked by the end. Cramps in my quads all the way up to the Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride, an experience I fervently hope to avoid this year. There was a constant stream passing me out towards the end. I hadn't half enough mileage done and the current route is a lot harder than the previous one. I think us slower lads at the back had a bit of a monopoly on suffering last year as the faster lads even managed to outrun the showers up on the military road. Anyhow sucker that I am, I signed up again - it's a tough old event but Orwell are great hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lissard wrote: »
    ... Cramps in my quads all the way up to the Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride, an experience I fervently hope to avoid this year....
    The trick is to take it easy along that horribly deceptive energy sapping Lake Drive to save some energy for the second climb to the Sally Gap. Ignore all the lads hammering past turning themselves inside out - you'll pass them on the climb to the Gap when they have blown up.

I did it in 6.23 moving time last year - probably a bit faster than I was comfortable with but I was trying to hang on to Mercian Pro's wheel. Won't be doing that this year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm basing my expectations on comparison to the Reservoir Dog. I did that just over 5 hours so adding 25km and about 400m, I'm thinking another 90ish minutes would give me about 6:45 moving time. Is it much harder than the Dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I did it in 6.23 moving time last year - probably a bit faster than I was comfortable with but I was trying to hang on to Mercian Pro's wheel. Won't be doing that this year! :)

Not my memory of it at all. I was seriously glad I took your advice to take it easy on the Lake Drive. That was where the guy cycled into the ditch taking off his jacket!
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    Is it much harder than the Dog?

Harder yes, much harder maybe, but it will be no bother to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Looking at the profile of the Randonnee, it defo looks tougher then the Reservoir Dog. Going over Lake Drive at close to 100Km already is going to be killer, it's what killed me at last year's Reservoir Dog. Still looking forward to it though, fingers crossed that the weather is good for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

6.18 moving for me on the Randonee last year, 5.17 on the Dog, hard to say one is harder that the other, weather usually makes the Randonee a bit of a slog but maybe this year the current spell of dry weather will last out, it'd make a change...

We'll see how accurate Accuweather is. It's giving cloudy but dry and 14degree for Blessington on the Saturday

We'll see how accurate Accuweather is. It's giving cloudy but dry and 14degree for Blessington on the Saturday
    YR.no giving Co Wicklow cold (5 degrees) and wet with a north westerly for the 29th. Normal weather then so for the Randonnee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It was right cold last year. I had a full winter rig out - heavy winter jacket and all. Hopefully won't need that this year, I've put it to the back of the wardrobe since last month.

C'mere, is the start/finish point the same as last year? Left after the Topaz and down the Ballycorus road on the right there?

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    ...C'mere, is the start/finish point the same as last year? Left after the Topaz and down the Ballycorus road on the right there?
    Yup.

YR.no giving Co Wicklow cold (5 degrees) and wet with a north westerly for the 29th. Normal weather then so for the Randonnee. :D

Ah here, let us at least imagine it will be an unseasonably warm day with a northerly tailwind for about 3 hours followed by a sudden 180 degree change after lunch. The only forecast I trust at this point is the 24 hour one. Fingers crossed it's more than 5 degrees, the military road is no fun when it's cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I give up -where is the wall?

edit, think I have it , lane across from waterfall rd to djouce?

cajonlardo wrote: »

That's the spot, it's well named.

cajonlardo wrote: »

Waterfall Rd to Djouce is the second part of The Wall. Here's the full Wall.

https://www.strava.com/segments/824925

It's fine when solo but can be awkward in a sportive if you get boxed in. On the steepest part, if you are forced to stop, it's practically impossible to get clipped in and going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

It's fine when solo but can be awkward in a sportive if you get boxed in. On the steepest part, if you are forced to stop, it's practically impossible to get clipped in and going again.

Got stuck behind a car on it last year. Tried to get going again and nearly ended up in the ditch.

Waterfall Rd to Djouce is the second part of The Wall. Here's the full Wall.

https://www.strava.com/segments/824925.....
    I'm mixing up my sportives - Orwell R only uses the second part of 'The Wall'.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1077130

This Wall thingy has me wondering. How does it compare to other steep segments?Second part of Kilmashogue or start of Cunard or Kilgarron hill for example? Is it time to take off the 12-25 and go back to the 11-32?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

You'll do it on a 25 it's not that long

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Promised my oh I'd finally start learning to drive this month after putting it off for years. I've been booked onto a lesson next Saturday so I'm out of this. I'll be cycling to it though

• Advertisement

This Wall thingy has me wondering. How does it compare to other steep segments?Second part of Kilmashogue or start of Cunard or Kilgarron hill for example? Is it time to take off the 12-25 and go back to the 11-32?
    It's steeper than Cunard or Kilgarron and about the same as the steep bits of Kilmashogue Lane but we're only doing the shorter second part. I'll definitely need the 34/30 on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I did it last year on a 39:25 but I've the dinner plate on for this year. Should make for more pleasurable (less miserable) climbing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I find the key to the wall is to have a decent bit of momentum going into it. It's a bas**d no matter what way you do it though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ive never done the wall, did lovers leap which is close by and hated it and by all accounts the wall is much worse.

But as above said, problem with climbs in sportives is people stopping and it can cause issues further down as you've to unclip and struggle to eat going again

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

The worst part of the wall isn't the wall itself, it's getting to the top and thinking it's all over and then seeing the long hill ramp as you turn right. If you've gone deep getting up the wall and aren't ready for it it's a killer!

34-28 is as low as you need as its short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Crocked wrote: »
    The worst part of the wall isn't the wall itself, it's getting to the top and thinking it's all over and then seeing the long hill ramp as you turn right. If you've gone deep getting up the wall and aren't ready for it it's a killer!

I believe you, but just in case, I'll still bring my 34-32.😊

Crocked wrote: »

But if you've anything lower, you'll use it and be glad to do so.

I'm mixing up my sportives - Orwell R only uses the second part of 'The Wall'.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1077130

Decided to check how steep it was and came up with this: https://www.strava.com/segments/9408038

I remember parts of it being about 19% but 147%eek.png

Weepsie wrote: »
    ... problem with climbs in sportives is people stopping and it can cause issues further down as you've to unclip and struggle to eat going again
    Further exacerbated by being a very narrow road so there's only room for one cyclist to pass another at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Further exacerbated by being a very narrow road so there's only room for one cyclist to pass another at a time.

I'll keep in as far as I can on that stretch.

Advertisement