Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2017

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Anybody manage to find the right combination of gear for yesterday's conditions? I was glad to have the tights and Mistral jacket at times but seriously overheated on some of the early climbs.

Some photos up already on Orwell's FB page and more promised: https://www.facebook.com/orwellwheelers/

I hads the Mistral in the van in case it was wet from the start and left it there, I went with shorts, knee warmers, l/s base layer, l/s club jersey, club gilet and a lightish rain cape in my pocket, put the cape on at the Sally Gap first time and took it off at the food stop, then back on for the final drop down Glencree.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I just checked the strava flyby to verify I came last and I noticed this one lad who took the long way to the start line.... from Tallaght - around the lakes - around Wicklow Gap - down Sugarloaf to Kilternan...... and then did the whole thing :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anybody manage to find the right combination of gear for yesterday's conditions? I was glad to have the tights and Mistral jacket at times but seriously overheated on some of the early climbs.
    [/url]

I was happy enough with my club Winter jersey and base layer with shorts and neoprene overshoes. Same as you, I found it a bit warm on the first few climbs but managed by zipping down the jacket. I found the cold a bit on the Wicklow Gap descent but that was mostly the fingertips and face. We were lucky enough with the rain, it was only a bit of drizzle for a few minutes.
    I had brought my ss club jersey and gilet but left them in the car as I'd forgotten my arm warmers. In hindsight it worked out fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Einstein? wrote: »
    I just checked the strava flyby to verify I came last and I noticed this one lad who took the long way to the start line.... from Tallaght - around the lakes - around Wicklow Gap - down Sugarloaf to Kilternan...... and then did the whole thing :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wishbone Ash has an evil twin in Tallaght it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Suffered the purgatory of the second climb up to Sally with him. Great company and frankly I was amazed he still had anything left in the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

I just went with Base Layer, short sleeve jersey, shorts and reasonably long/warm socks. Was fine except after the food stop.. Also could have done with shoe covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just viewed it on Strava - he set out at 4.18am! :eek: He passed me somewhere on the Glencullen climb and I passed him a while later. He has a very distinctive set of rear lights hanging from his saddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Just viewed it on Strava - he set out at 4.18am! :eek: He passed me somewhere on the Glencullen climb and I passed him a while later. He has a very distinctive set of rear lights hanging from his saddle!

He has been known to frequent this forum. A hard man!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

A very well done to Orwell wheelers. Super event well marshalled and organized.

Id love to comment on the burger afterwards but took the left over the bridge back to blessington just before the 105km drink stop and headed home.

I was suffering like a dog and rode most of that 100km on my own. Found a small likeminded paced group at the start and had company to the featherbeds then had a chain drop and had to stop, got going again and whilst catching back up to the group was informed by a nice soul that I had a brake rub on my back wheel.

Like its not hard enough climbing without adding that to the ridiculous headwind too ! Another stop to sort that out and off I went again as that group disappeared up the road again.

About 200 meters after taking the left at the fork for the randonee on the decent off came the chain again. Another bloody stop very annoying my chain has never fallen off once before this event (ive just gone and bought a chain checker today guess its become streteched)

back on I got and down the decent I went caught up with a group of 5 just before the Wall company at last. Legs were just not co operating at all within 100 meters I knew id be climbing up to the gap on my own. Just about kept the pedals turning as 1 or 2 got off their bikes and walked (don't really understand the logic of it but each to their own) its demoralizing when people are walking up the wall and luggala faster than your cycling though !

Could just about make a few cyclist up in the distance getting close to sally gap and thought great once I make the gap I'm a good decender I will easily latch back on down to the food stop and I will have a group to go with again for the second part.

Nope never happened, I died a complete death after turning for Laragh. The headwind was insane to the point it actually didn't feel like a decent at all. The 6 or 700 meters I thought Id make up in a jiffy got larger and larger until there were no other riders in sight.

I struggled badly on that decent to Laragh which sounds like an oxymoron but is what happened. Strava tells its own tale on Saturday I descended 21 minutes slower than ive ever done on that segment :eek::eek:

I got to the food stop, wet, sore and without feelings in my hands or toes. I was within a whisker of calling my wife to drive and pick me up but I grabbed a coffee and a sambo and some jellies and kept the stop short enough. There were still 8 bikes outside when I left at about 1.10 and I was thinking well they are all faster than me if I can get a bit of a headstart maybe I might be able to latch on and suck their wheels for a few kms later on.

Off I went up the wicklow gap feeling a fair bit better after the brief stop waiting and waiting for the group to catch me but no sign I was feeling better but I fully expected them to catch me. Down the decent and over lake drive still no sign of anyone catching me but equally I didn't see a soul up ahead either.

getting to the drinks stop I had a choice go climb the gap again into the headwind and finish the final 40 km on my own having spend the last 70 odd km cycling solo knowing I then had to cycle home afterwards to diver off towards home.

I'm disappointed to say I took the diversion and called an end to my day. I could have finished it but just spend so long solo that I was demoralized. I had hoped Id have

Just was far too undercooked for this. Having cycled only 300kms all year I should have known better but I don't get too many days off with two infants in the house so I grabbed the chance regardless.

I will be back for sure next year but with some training done this time !!

I also thought the crossbar stickers were fantastic and horrific in equal measures. Great knowing what was ahead of you but when suffering and seeing how much of certain climbs were left to go it was horrid :D

saw wo boardsies but didn't get to chat they just gave me a quick boardies shout out as they passed me early on the way up to Johnny Foxes.

D3PO wrote: »
    ...saw wo boardsies but didn't get to chat they just gave me a quick boardies shout out as they passed me early on the way up to Johnny Foxes.
    Probably myself and Mercian Pro. I gave a shout to a Boardsie with a beard along there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I was quite happy with my combination. While I often carry a gilet or rain cape with me, depending on conditions, I tend to find every excuse not to stop and put it on so I generally favour kit which covers a range of conditions without have to add or remove a layer.

For this ride I never even felt tempted to put on my rain cape as I never felt cold or wet enough to require it, despite the conditions. I was wearing:

* Socks - Prendas Winter Thermolite. I find these pretty good, similar to good quality merino socks but probably dry out faster when wet although I've not put that to the test.

* Overshoes - Prendas neoprene.

* Tights - Parentini Tiger 2, which I've found good for a range of temperatures. I have a pair of Castelli Sorpasso tights which I reckon are pretty close in terms of temperature range too but the Parentinis feel a little lighter.

* Base layer - Parentini long-sleeved polypropylene. Traditionally I've used merino base layers and always found them great but the odd time they struggled in cold + wet + windy conditions. Polypropylene is claimed to be excellent at wicking so theoretically should help keep the wet (and therefore the consequential cold) away from your skin. I've been trying this base layer for a few months now and have been impressed so far. I've not been out in real cold, wet, and windy weather in it yet but it has proved surprisingly warm so far even in cold (and damp) conditions.

* Outer top layer - Parentini Mossa long-sleeved jersey. This is claimed to be entirely waterproof (for their definition of waterproof - worth a read for anyone interested in wet weather riding) which is why I bought it. I've been using it a few months and so far like it a lot for its comfort and its versatility - it covers a range of temperatures and worked very well for this ride. I zipped it down twice in total I think and that was all I needed to stay comfortable, or as comfortable as you can be when climbing a lot, I never overheated and apart from the few minutes on the move immediately after stopping for a phonecall I never got cold either. I've yet to test it in "proper" wet + cold weather though.

* Gloves - Gore Bike Wear Men's Urban Cycling Gloves. I bought these on the spur of the moment recently when I saw them for a good price. I've been impressed so far. They are medium weight at most but they worked very well for the Randonee, never too hot or cold. Their windproofing is their main benefit I reckon.

* Hat - Merino beanie. As above I'm a big fan of merino for both its breathability and its warmth and I've been happily using merino beanies for years.

Different kit works differently for different people of course, but I never regretted the above combination at any stage during the Randonee, the rain cape in my pocket proved entirely redundant.

Probably myself and Mercian Pro. I gave a shout to a Boardsie with a beard along there somewhere.

Yep that would have been me in the beard and red rainjacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Did ya get the beard on Wiggle or CRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Any more photo links? There seemed to be plenty of snappers around for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

This looks like a great challenge to do and something I have had my eye on before, but just hasn't suited to date. Hopefully next year.

People saying it is tough, but how tough? I think the closest I can think of in terms of events I have completed is the Donegal Bay event which is closer to my neck of the woods. Both have roughly the same amount of climbing according to Strava. I know some of ye lads posting have done both events so how do they compare? If I can manage Donegal, would I be fit for Wicklow??

This looks like a great challenge to do and something I have had my eye on before, but just hasn't suited to date. Hopefully next year.

People saying it is tough, but how tough? I think the closest I can think of in terms of events I have completed is the Donegal Bay event which is closer to my neck of the woods. Both have roughly the same amount of climbing according to Strava. I know some of ye lads posting have done both events so how do they compare? If I can manage Donegal, would I be fit for Wicklow??
    The Randonnee would be tougher than the Donegal Bay Sportive IMO. The climbs are a lot longer with less of the short sharp climbs which feature in the Donegal event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

People saying it is tough, but how tough?

It's probably the toughest cycle I've done so far - physically and mentally. Others that I've done that may come close would be the Wicklow 200 and the Reservoir Dog... but those are at much more favourable times of year (mid June and early September). With much larger events, there is always somebody along the road you can chat with but as you can see from this thread, you can be somewhat isolated through tough sections after the first couple of climbs with so few numbers participating. Had there been no wind on Saturday, it would've been easier but would likely still place it as the toughest I've participated in. I was using this as a training spin for the Wicklow 200... I'm not really all that concerned about it now after Saturday tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Thanks for the responses, looks like I would need to up the training even more then, considering I struggle around Donegal. Sometimes I think the only reason I survive is the scenery en-route.

bazermc wrote: »

Did ya get the beard on Wiggle or CRC?
    Wiggle obviously. I'm a sucker for free jellies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foxmoves

Thanks for the responses, looks like I would need to up the training even more then, considering I struggle around Donegal. Sometimes I think the only reason I survive is the scenery en-route.

I have done both this year and I think conditions would play a massive part in which one is harder. Naturally donegal was lovely this year but a cold wet windy day and the 140km in the hills would be a real challenge. Last Saturday was ok too bar a strong wind off sally gap the first time and up it the second time was tough too.

The road surface overall is slightly better last Saturday which helps a bit.
    Both are great challenges, well ran and both cycles remind you of how scenic ireland really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

It's tough, but not as bad as some cycles out there. I definitely thought both Rebel Tour and WW200 were harder. The wind made the second climb of the Sally Gap challenging, but the first 100k were pretty ok I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Any dates yet this year?

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just wanted to let you know that we're putting the finishing touches to this years Orwell Randonnee which will be taking place on Saturday the 29th of April.

Due to the positive feedback we got from last years participants, we've decided to use the same route as last year and for the first time we will be adding a slightly easier route : the Randonnee Lite. This shorter route removes some of the climbing at the start of the event but it should be considered a great achievement to complete it.

Looking forward to having our regulars back and for anyone planning some serious cycling this year, it's a great event to use to test the legs.

Details to follow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It said somewhere on their site it was for the May Bank holiday. Hopefully the Sunday as I'm working the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Weepsie wrote: »
    It said somewhere on their site it was for the May Bank holiday. Hopefully the Sunday as I'm working the Saturday

Sat 5th May according to the CI calendar, I'm sure someone will confirm shortly

Advertisement