Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percentage of Catholic weddings in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there any secular organisations who own churches? that strikes me as a good business opportunity, peddling weddings to people who like the idea of a traditional wedding in a church, but without the god stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Although the decline does seem to be slowing. There was a 3% year-on-year decline in 2014 and again in 2015, but only a 2.3% decline in 2016.

You also have to take account of the fact that 2016, for the first time, includes same-sex marriages. From the link provided by Pherykedes, it seems that if you just look at opposite-sex marriages, 56.3% were performed in Catholic churches. That's actually 0.3% higher than the 2015 figure for 2015 quoted by Boom__Boom. So the downward trend may be bottoming out.

Apart from same-sex marriage, there are (at least) two other factors that influence this trend, I think.

- Divorce, and therefore second marriages, which won't be celebrated in a Catholic church. The 91% rate of Catholic church marriages from 1994 dates from a time when there were vanishingly few second marriages celebrated.

- Secularisation: People who could get married in a Catholic ceremony, but choose not to.

It would be interesting to see these figures broken out each year so that we could identify the proportion of opposite-sex, first marriages that are celebrated in the Catholic church. I've no doubt that proportion is declining, but it's obviously going to be higher than 56.3%. Again from Pherykedes' link there were 18,934 first-time opposite-sex marriages in 2016. If you assume that all of the 12,140 Catholic marriages were first-time opposite-sex marriages, then that yields a Catholic church marriage rate of 64.1% - which is still a huge decline from the 91% figure from 1994.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

will be interesting to see how many same sex marriages were 'queued up' - i.e. what the steady state rate of marriages will be after the initial surge post-referendum result being implemented.

And it will be interesting to see if the "steady rate" of same-sex marriages turns out to be similar to the steady rate for civil partnerships prior to 2015.

• Advertisement

will also be interesting to see what the impact will be of the ageing demographic of catholic priests, and time pressures on them at the weekends to perform marriages. i've been to two weddings where the priest had to leave afterwards, to officiate at another ceremony.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Although the decline does seem to be slowing. There was a 3% year-on-year decline in 2014 and again in 2015, but only a 2.3% decline in 2016.

You also have to take account of the fact that 2016, for the first time, includes same-sex marriages. From the link provided by Pherykedes, it seems that if you just look at opposite-sex marriages, 56.3% were performed in Catholic churches. That's actually 0.3% higher than the 2015 figure for 2015 quoted by Boom__Boom. So the downward trend may be bottoming out.

Apart from same-sex marriage, there are (at least) two other factors that influence this trend, I think.

- Divorce, and therefore second marriages, which won't be celebrated in a Catholic church. The 91% rate of Catholic church marriages from 1994 dates from a time when there were vanishingly few second marriages celebrated.

- Secularisation: People who could get married in a Catholic ceremony, but choose not to.

It would be interesting to see these figures broken out each year so that we could identify the proportion of opposite-sex, first marriages that are celebrated in the Catholic church. I've no doubt that proportion is declining, but it's obviously going to be higher than 56.3%. Again from Pherykedes' link there were 18,934 first-time opposite-sex marriages in 2016. If you assume that all of the 12,140 Catholic marriages were first-time opposite-sex marriages, then that yields a Catholic church marriage rate of 64.1% - which is still a huge decline from the 91% figure from 1994.

Absolutely anecdotal I know, but in the last couple of years I have attended 2 Irish weddings abroad, and turned down several others. Both of the ones I attended were directly in avoidance of "the usual Irish crap" and very specifically the catholic wedding (second marriages).

One of the couples wed in vegas and I do not think they had any form of civil ceremony when they returned. I wonder is there a significant number of "undocumented Irish" weddings.

will also be interesting to see what the impact will be of the ageing demographic of catholic priests, and time pressures on them at the weekends to perform marriages. i've been to two weddings where the priest had to leave afterwards, to officiate at another ceremony.
    That would always have been fairly common, since people will have their weddings on a Saturday. And weddings, unlike masses, can be celebrated by deacons, so there's some scope for spreading the load wider than the declining pool of priests.

To be honest, while it's a problem for the church in other areas I don't think the priest shortage is going to lead to many people not having a Catholic wedding who want one. The decline in Catholic weddings isn't due to priests not being available to celebrate them; it's due to lovestruck couples not turning up to request them in the first place.

Absolutely anecdotal I know, but in the last couple of years I have attended 2 Irish weddings abroad, and turned down several others. Both of the ones I attended were directly in avoidance of "the usual Irish crap" and very specifically the catholic wedding (second marriages).

One of the couples wed in vegas and I do not think they had any form of civil ceremony when they returned. I wonder is there a significant number of "undocumented Irish" weddings.
    They are documented - in Nevada. If you get married in Las Vegas you can't come back to Ireland and have have a civil wedding here, because you're already married.

Presumably these people are ticking "married" on the census form, so any count of the number of married couples in Ireland (as opposed to the number of marriages celebrated in Ireland) will include them.

This cuts both ways, incidentally. From the link provided by Pherykedes, about 13% of the weddings celebrated in Ireland last year were for couples living outside Ireland.

i was talking to an old teacher of mine a few years ago who used to be PP in st. peter's in phibsboro. he'd performed (i think - don't quote me on the number) 4 weddings for american servicemen serving in afghanistan. it started with one irish american soldier, who agreed with his fiancee to meet her half way (she fly across the atlantic, he fly from afghanistan) and he simply googled churches in ireland, saw st. peters and decided he liked it.
    a few of his buddies who came with him liked it too and decided to repeat the experiment.

• Advertisement

I suspect most of these weddings are young Irish adults living abroad, but they come home for the wedding because the wider family of at least one or both of the couple is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I am of the thinking if 2 Irish residents go to Las Vegas and get married there and then return to Ireland, the Irish government would not recognise the marriage as they have circumvented the 3 months notice requirements.
    Why would they treat it any differently to married foreign nationals moving here? They wouldn't have any knowledge of how much notice they gave.

My own friends got married in Copenhagen since they only had to give a month's notice there and it's perfectly valid here as far as I'm aware.

Nope. As a general rule, if you marry abroad, and your marriage is valid according to the law of the place where it is celebrated, then it is valid in Irish law (and in the law of most other countries). So if you are marrying in Nevada the only notice/procedural/administrative/ceremonial requirements you need to comply with are Nevada requirements.

This cuts both ways. If you marry in a church ceremony abroad, you need to check that the church ceremony is enough to constituted a valid marriage under the laws of that country. The fact that it would be enough to constitute a valid marriage if celebrated in Ireland is irrelevant. Again, the requirements of the country where the marriage is celebrated are the ones you need to comply with.

(It's not quite the same as regards capacity to marry. If you're too young to marry in Ireland, or if as a matter of Irish law you are already validly married to someone else, you can't get around that problem by going to a country that marries 15-year-olds, or that will give you a shonky divorce for $250 and a bottle of Johnny Walker, and immediately marry you to someone else. Ireland will not recognise the foreign marriage of an Irish resident who, as a matter of Irish law, lacked the capacity to marry.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Based on what I've heard from friends, at the moment it is still harder to find / book a non religious celebrant than a catholic one. There really needs to be a rule change to make it easier for people to get registered to perform weddings / marriages legally by a non-religious group.

It's already much easier to be registered as a non-religious celebrant. You need to join the Humanist Association of Ireland, get yourself selected, trained and accredited by them, and get them to nominate you to the Registrar-General as a solemniser. This isn't trivial, but it's a lot less demanding than completing the six years formation required for ordination in the Catholic church. Plus, you don't have to make a commitment to celibacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's already much easier to be registered as a non-religious celebrant. You need to join the Humanist Association of Ireland, get yourself selected, trained and accredited by them, and get them to nominate you to the Registrar-General as a solemniser. This isn't trivial, but it's a lot less demanding than completing the six years formation required for ordination in the Catholic church. Plus, you don't have to make a commitment to celibacy.

Which assumes you wanto to joint the Humanist association. Nothing against them but not everyone would want that.

A very quick glance at the figures shows:

Humanists performed 5.7% of marriages but have only 0.4% of registered Solemnisers
    Civil cermonies were 28% of marriages but only 1.8% of Solemnisers
    Catholics were 56% of marriages but they have 78.2% of Solemnisers.

You also have 3.7% Spiritualist with about 0.2% of Solemnisers. Any of their ceremonies that I have been to are for non-religious people.

Now that may not take into account certain things like retired priests but it does show that as there is a growing need for non-religious ceremonies and Solemnisers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

AFAIK my friends marriage is recognised by the Irish state. I'll check with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I got married in a church back in 1990 simply because the only other option was the registry office which at the time was a soulless affair in a horrible office.

Many more options available now so I definitely wouldn't choose church again. I wouldn't be allowed anyway because I'm divorced.

matrim wrote: »
    Humanists performed 5.7% of marriages but have only 0.4% of registered Solemnisers
    Civil cermonies were 28% of marriages but only 1.8% of Solemnisers
    Catholics were 56% of marriages but they have 78.2% of Solemnisers.
    don't forget it's the job of civil solemnisers to marry people, so that'll skew the figures that way, they will always be more represented in the figures than any other solemnisers - i doubt (citation needed) that any of the HAI solemnisers actually are solemnisers as their day job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

8 Weddings in my office this year , 2 are 2nd time out (i.e. Divorcees) only 1 of the 8 will be a Catholic ceremony in a church and that church has been picked for the photos not the mass, the bride to be is very open about that. 3 humanist ceremonies including my own ,2 foreign (Malta & Cyprus) 1 civil ceremony (gay couple) and 1 registry office. Not one of my mates or their brothers have gotten married in a church , we've been to 6 weddings ourselves in the last 2 n half years and only 1 was a catholic ceremony in a Church (my OH's Cousin) and they only did that to keep his very religious Mammy happy.

We were offered the Cathedral in Killarney for our wedding (my Aunt was desperate for us to get married in a church), its a lovely building , would have gotten some amazing photos but id rather not get married at all then get married in that church or any catholic church , its a vile institution.

Id say if you were to ask people how many got married for the building , or because its the done thing or to keep the Mammy's / Granny's happy versus how many got married in a church because they are dyed in the wool Catholics that figure would drop off to about 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It would hardly be practical to ask people returning to the state 'did you get married abroad to circumvent the notice period and deprive the state of €300' and people going even to the UK and paying their fees would hardly make a saving on €300. Short of not recognising overseas marriages, how would they make residents comply with Irish laws?

There is no Irish law that requires people who marry abroad to give 3 month's notice to the Irish authorities; you only have to give notice if you intend to marry in Ireland. And obviously there's no point in taking steps to make people "comply" with a non-existent law.
    I wonder does it happen much that Irish citizens go abroad to circumvent the notice periods and deprive the state of the €300 fee?
    It often happens that people marry abroad. I kind of doubt that in many cases there motivation for doing so is to avoid the notice requirement or to save €300.

In any event, as already noted about one in eight marriages celebrated in Ireland is of a couple who don't live here, but have come here to get married. They do give notice and pay the fee. So my guess would be that wedding tourism probably represents a net gain, not a net loss, to the Irish state.

the notion of making someone comply with an irish law in a foreign country is a complex one, i bet.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

From the link provided by Pherykedes, about 13% of the weddings celebrated in Ireland last year were for couples living outside Ireland.
    Quite a few of these would be like us - emigrants coming back for the wedding. We had a humanist ceremony in May 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I could be wrong but I thought you still had to give notice. I've a friend who married in Greece and she still had to give notice here. Not sure if it was 3 months or not but I definitely remember her saying that she still had to follow procedures here so that her marriage would be recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some countries require a letter from the authorities in your home country stating that you are free to marry. Maybe it was that.

Of course this ignores the fact that you could have been married in a third country already and the authorities in your home country, if you don't live there, are unlikely to be aware of that :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement