Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Cinematic Universe Movies.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've said it already in the main Film thread, but I'm a bit saddened to think this is also likely to be Stewart's last run as Professor X, not a glorious end either going by the trailer. For all intents and purposes he has been at the forefront of my pop-cultural upbringing, nerd royalty really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've said it already in the main Film thread, but I'm a bit saddened to think this is also likely to be Stewart's last run as Professor X, not a glorious end either going by the trailer. For all intents and purposes he has been at the forefront of my pop-cultural upbringing, nerd royalty really.

Well he's voicing the sh*t emoji in the Emoji movie this year, so I think that crown was going to slip off anyway...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »

I'd never thought about that before but yes, he's been a constant pop culture companion since the age of about 8 for me. Maybe he'll take Jean Luc out for a spin one last time some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Casting for The New Mutants looks like it's beginning.

Director Josh Boone tweeted.

https://twitter.com/JoshBooneMovies/status/830635168738127872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    Wolfsbane by Mid-World's very own @AshleyRGuillory @Maisie_Williams

Jackman say he would continue to play Wolverine if the X-Men were to become part of the MCU for an Avengers film.

http://superheronews.com/if-x-men-were-in-the-mcu-hugh-jackman-would-keep-playing-wolverine/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Jackman say he would continue to play Wolverine if the X-Men were to become part of the MCU for an Avengers film.

http://superheronews.com/if-x-men-were-in-the-mcu-hugh-jackman-would-keep-playing-wolverine/

More accurately, he said if that had been an option when he'd made his decision to leave, he wouldn't have made that decision.

Fox looking to Joe Carnahan to write and direct an X-Force movie.

Video trying to explain Logan's the timelines.

There will be spoilers if you haven't seem all the movies.

New Mutants will be released on April 13, 2018.

The next X-Men film will be.....X-Men: Dark Phoenix and will be released on November 2nd, 2018

• Advertisement

The next X-Men film will be.....X-Men: Dark Phoenix and will be released on November 2nd, 2018

I saw someone on Twitter say "X-Men doing Dark Phoenix the movie after introducing Jean Grey is the most Batman v Superman thing Fox can do." Nail on the head, I reckon.

I can already hear the writers typing '... and then Mystique yells "TO ME, MY X-MEN!" and leads the charge to defeat Dark Phoenix, while in her human appearance as Jennifer Lawrence'.

I saw someone on Twitter say "X-Men doing Dark Phoenix the movie after introducing Jean Grey is the most Batman v Superman thing Fox can do." Nail on the head, I reckon.

Have you ever seen the Moviebob video on Dark Phoenix? He basically called this months ago.

His point is that in order for Dark Phoenix to work Jean Grey has to do a good girl going bad (under the 70's/ 80's definition of morality that the work was created with) in order for it to have any kind of point beyond explosions.

The interesting part of the Phoenix saga- and I concur with him having read it as a kid- was Jean turning from the blandest character going to someone flirting with Wolverine, experimenting with these huge powers, the corruption and the black queen... and for me, most importantly, Jean self sacrificing and becoming the actual hero of the story.

Lashing all of that stuff into one film is indeed very BvS.

(It'd also be really cool if they explored 80's morality v 201x morality, but that aint going to happen, there's flame birds to animate)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ill be intersted to see how they do it.

a straight conversion of the story is out the window. no aliens in this universe so there goes the shiar and half the cast either isnt there for the helfire club- or isnt meant to show up unitll "logan" like peirce.

but ya can still hit the beats.

the main theme IMO is the seduction and corruption of jean by all her power . leading to her going nuts and a show down with xavier.

jean cant eat a sun and destroy a planet killing 60 billion people, but she could say - wipe out India. thats a good 1.5billion.

and that'd be MORE than enough reason for the UN to put together a global mutant strike force that stands in for the imperial guard to go gunning for her leading to the throwdown against the Xmen at the end of the phoenix saga where she tops herself.

i'd stage that battle at the mansion cause the moon will make no sense in the movieverse and i'd make her use cykes optic blasts to kill herself instead of the lazer cannon found there (also provides her the opportunity to give that speech to him at the end)

theres potential here to do something more than just a FX bonanza. one of the things i like about the xmen comics is their villains tend to have a point. magneto's world view is valid- albeit based in fear and hopelessness.

for ages weve been told the x men fight "to protect a world that fears and hates them".

the dark phoenix saga could be the one to show exactly WHY those humans are "right" to do exactly that.

wont hold my breath though after apocalypse.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Anyone else feel a bit drained with all the superhero movies? seems there's 5+ released every year, maybe it's because I watched too much including Iron Fist, DareDevil and others on Netlfix I know Guardians of the Galaxy is out this week but i couldn't careless maybe i'm just having an off day

Anyone else feel a bit drained with all the superhero movies? seems there's 5+ released every year, maybe it's because I watched too much including Iron Fist, DareDevil and others on Netlfix I know Guardians of the Galaxy is out this week but i couldn't careless maybe i'm just having an off day

This may not be the thread for you...!

No

Logan is getting a Black and White limited release.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will Rogue and Gambit be in X Men Dark Phoenix?

Simon Kinberg now set to direct Dark Phoenix.

Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy & Nicholas Hoult all set to return.

Jessica Chastain is in talks to join the cast as well.

• Advertisement

Looked up this Kinberg chap, not sure if this is good news.

In the bad column:

Wrote X-Men: the last stand, Fant4stic

In the meh colum he wrote Apocalypse

In the "there is hope" he wrote Days of Future Past.

This is his first time directing though... could kinda go any way :D

I was feeling very unenthused about this when I heard Jennifer Lawrence wouldn't be back. Now that she's confirmed to be returning, I'm just definitely not gonna bother seeing this.

Ye a Jean Grey movie/story that will have it's main female focus on Raven / Mystique.

That doesn't bode well.

Ye a Jean Grey movie/story that will have it's main female focus on Raven / Mystique.

That doesn't bode well.

Yep. I can't stand JLaw at the best of times.... I also hate anything to do with the Phoenix Force...

Yep. I can't stand JLaw at the best of times.... I also hate anything to do with the Phoenix Force...

I love JLaw, and I'm okay with the Phoenix Force stuff.

But the shoehorning of Mystique into a leader of the X-Men just because OMGZ ITS JLAW! in Days of Future Past and especially Apocalypse is just so goddamn awful. And they surely can't work "Looks like Prof.X and Magneto are going to have to work together... Sure hope Magneto doesn't turn on them at the last minute..." into the script again.

Apocalypse lost almost all the good favour they'd earned with First Class and DOFP. Not holding out a huge amount of hope for this one.

I'd be very ok with the Phoenix as a movie arc if I felt there was an actual story being told with it.

It's one of those cases where you couldn't really do the comic book one. There's just too much between aliens and the hellfire club and Jean's multiple sacrifices and the black queen and so on and so forth.

To me the absolute worst part of the Last Stand was the ending, with Logan killing Jean. It totally robs Jean of both her acknowledgement of her responsibility for what she's done and her redemptive moment. None of has any emotional power anyway unless they make us like Jean and they've not bothered doing that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

My issue with the Phoenix being used as a story arc again in film is that it doesn't hold any compelling viewing for me anymore, and certainly not as a multi-film arc. Now if they make Cyclops more important this time around it might change my opinion.

I'm more interested in the New Mutant stuff right now than anything to do with a direct sequel to Apocalypse.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    My issue with the Phoenix being used as a story arc again in film is that it doesn't hold any compelling viewing for me anymore, and certainly not as a multi-film arc. Now if they make Cyclops more important this time around it might change my opinion.

I'm more interested in the New Mutant stuff right now than anything to do with a direct sequel to Apocalypse.

I'd actually like a total and utter reboot.

How are you going to top Logan as a finale?

I'd actually like a total and utter reboot.

How are you going to top Logan as a finale?

Agreed. A reboot where Mystique isn't an X-Man and Cyclops isn't sidelined/killed off would be a start...

• Advertisement

Agreed. A reboot where Mystique isn't an X-Man and Cyclops isn't sidelined/killed off would be a start...

We can live in hope...

Advertisement