Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X-Men Cinematic Universe Movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'd actually like a total and utter reboot.

How are you going to top Logan as a finale?

At this point, I agree. DoFP followed by Logan would have been the perfect way to end the whole series... DoFP giving the X-Men a happy "ending", closing off the series that started with the original X-Men. Logan then giving Wolverine and Prof X the perfect swan song... and simultaneously cr*pping on the notion that everything ended up nice and rosy for the X-Men in DoFP.

Apocalypse wasn't terrible IMO but it just didn't add anything to the series or the story. It was grand but probably would have been better in a rebooted series with a free license on how to use the characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As great as Logan was, I can't shake the idea that it retrospectively hobbled all the movies that came before; it basically glowered at the audience and implied that everything, every battle, every victory & loss was for nothing. Less than nothing! The X-Men were reduced to two men; one senile, the other being poisoned slowly and both of them living miserable shadow lives. Sure, for all the nihilists and anarchists in the audience it probably felt positively cathartic, but it felt like a fairly depressing coda to the whole X-Men universe. A beautiful, elegiac film, but far from one I 'enjoyed' as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pixelburp wrote: »
    As great as Logan was, I can't shake the idea that it retrospectively hobbled all the movies that came before; it basically glowered at the audience and implied that everything, every battle, every victory & loss was for nothing. Less than nothing! The X-Men were reduced to two men; one senile, the other being poisoned slowly and both of them living miserable shadow lives. Sure, for all the nihilists and anarchists in the audience it probably felt positively cathartic, but it felt like a fairly depressing coda to the whole X-Men universe. A beautiful, elegiac film, but far from one I 'enjoyed' as such.

These were essentially all the things I enjoyed about it... :pac:

However, I think that's really just cos most of the X-Men films weren't great so it was kinda nice to see it shít on them. DOFP probably did more to hobble them though, by giving a list of every character that survives everything at the end, rendering all enemies in all further movies impotent.

"Omg what if Apocalypse kills Storm?!"
    "He's can't, she was alive at the end of DOFP."
    "Oh..."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »

I read the ending almost the opposite to that. Maybe it's just too grim for my brain to process that way. To me
    It ultimately ends on a hopeful note, with an entire generation of mutants escaping to finally begin anew. That X cross for me wasn't a full stop, it was a generational change.

Logan sacrificed himself understanding, finally, what Charles had been trying to teach him for decades. Logan was redeemed- although I would usually argue the character doesn't need redemption, that he judges himself far too harshly in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DOFP probably did more to hobble them though, by giving a list of every character that survives everything at the end, rendering all enemies in all further movies impotent.

"Omg what if Apocalypse kills Storm?!"
    "He's can't, she was alive at the end of DOFP."
    "Oh..."

No point in me trying to explain DoFP again.
    I'll see if you can understand Singer, or will you decide he is wrong to suit your narrative ;)

http://collider.com/x-men-apocalypse-new-timeline-explained-bryan-singer/

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    No point in me trying to explain DoFP again.
    I'll see if you can understand Singer, or will you decide he is wrong to suit your narrative ;)

http://collider.com/x-men-apocalypse-new-timeline-explained-bryan-singer/

I understood DOFP perfectly; it's not a complicated film. However, you don't seem to understand the general "don't be a dick" rule of boards. Keep up the condescending posts and you'll find yourself exiled to Knowhere. Only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I thought Dofp only removed x3 from the time line? Haven't seen it since the cinema though.

I thought Dofp only removed x3 from the time line? Haven't seen it since the cinema though.

Not what I mean is that there are 2 conclusions to the DOFP story; one in the 70s and one in the 2020s. But they're just 2 different points on the same time line. So showing all the survivors in the 2020s negates any possibility of fatal dangers for those characters in the 70s timeline, which is where they continued the story from in the sequel, Apocalypse, albeit 10 years later. Unless someone comes from the future to muddy things, those characters are in no danger.

Not that we need them to be for a fun movie to exist but these movies are generally not great anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not what I mean is that there are 2 conclusions to the DOFP story; one in the 70s and one in the 2020s. But they're just 2 different points on the same time line. So showing all the survivors in the 2020s negates any possibility of fatal dangers for those characters in the 70s timeline, which is where they continued the story from in the sequel, Apocalypse, albeit 10 years later. Unless someone comes from the future to muddy things, those characters are in no danger.

Not that we need them to be for a fun movie to exist but these movies are generally not great anyway.

Those characters are clearly in danger at least according to Singer.

Edit: Just spotted your other post. Sorry moderator. Ignore Singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It would have affected X1 and X2 as well. What effects it had are hard to tell, but it basically affected the whole timeline after the 70's portion of DOFP. Many things would have happened the same way, but chances are with the psychic link between Prof.X in the 70's to the future, Prof.X was able to change things and prevent the worst things from happening. Case in point being Jean Grey. She died at the end of X2 before becoming Phoenix in X3, but in the future scene of DOFP, she's fine, likely never having had become Phoenix or at least somehow learning to control it prior to X2.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Those characters are clearly in danger at least according to Singer.

You're both making the same point but from different angles. The point is, unless something which is based in time-travel happens, the characters (Jean, Scott, Storm) have to be assumed to be safe because the timeline from 70's DOFP to 20's DOFP has to be assumed to be a straight line. It's only if something happens where something alters that timeline that could lead to a change in that straight line and the characters being in danger. Singer himself says it:
    “Time can always be f*cked with, we’ve now learned that. We’ve now learned that once you alter time that could be the future, but I don’t believe if you look at all the X-Men movies and Days of Future Past, I don’t believe that’s definitive.”

The future in DOFP with Jean, Scott, Storm being alive has to be taken as the future these characters are heading towards, until such a time that something which can change time/reality occurs in one of the movies from this point forward.

• Advertisement

^^Cable is obviously their way out of this, seeing as he's already confirmed for Deadpool. The problem is though, most of these films aren't great and continuously fcuking with time travel is just going to make them all meaningless.

^^Cable is obviously their way out of this, seeing as he's already confirmed for Deadpool. The problem is though, most of these films aren't great and continuously fcuking with time travel is just going to make them all meaningless.

Yeah. It's one thing to f*ck around with time travel, but then even outside of time travel they just recycle characters with no rhyme or reason as to the fact that those characters appeared in other films. Like Toad in X1 but then also in the 70's in DOFP, and Emma Frost as a teenager in the 70's in the first Wolverine film, then in her mid-30's in the 60's in First Class (though I think Singer has since said that was a different girl called Emma who could also turn into diamond... :rolleyes: )

Plus Prof.X standing while leading the children in Wolverine to safety, or visiting Jean Grey as a child, even though he should have been paralysed both times.

This is why they should reboot the whole thing. They probably only kept trying to keep it all as one continuity to keep the same actors coming back, but it's such a mess now. Just reboot the whole thing now, and work out a plan for story and characters for the next 5 films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's also the little question of the Fox X-Men TV series, and how they'll fit into the cinematic universe, if at all.

I wouldn't advocate a total reboot at the best of times, but it's probably for the best at this stage. Even so, it's hard to know what approach to take that wouldn't simply be going over the same story beats all over again. Feels like the X-Men are strongest when the characters have room to shine, rather than getting pushed aside for blockbuster spectacle. If anything, the whole X-Men universe should be rebooted for TV: there'd be more room for these characters to properly develop, and it's not like budgets and scope haven't increased in the last few years.

^^YES! X-Factor TV show would be unreal tbh.

I'd also like to see a Wolverine TV show. There's easily 10 great seasons of material there.

^^YES! X-Factor TV show would be unreal tbh.

:o

Bacchus, why you break my heart?!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Drew Goddard To Direct, Write ‘X-Force’ With Deadpool Leading Black Ops Force At Fox
    EXCLUSIVE: Fox has set Drew Goddard to write and direct X-Force, the X-Men universe pic that revolves around Deadpool and Cable leading a Black Ops force of down and dirty mutant warriors who are far more ruthless than their X-Men counterparts. Kinberg, Ryan Reynolds and Lauren Shuler Donner are producing. Goddard is next directing for Fox Bad Times at the El Royale with Chris Hemsworth and Jeff Bridges, but he has already cracked the script and will roll right into X-Force when he is finished.

Reynolds’ Deadpool will for sure be the centerpiece of X-Force, and when Kinberg discussed the property publicly, he added Cable as a major component. Josh Brolin is playing the character in Deadpool 2.

Getting Goddard is a coup for the studio. He has been destined to spearhead a superhero franchise for a long time. Aside from launching the Daredevil series for Netflix, Goddard wrote to direct The Martian, but stepped aside for Ridley Scott to instead direct his script for the Spider-Man villain spinoff The Sinister Six, until that film was scrapped for the new iteration of the webslinger. Now Goddard has his franchise.

While other studio superhero moves have gotten more attention lately, Fox has continued to mine the X-Men universe, with strong up and coming directors. The Fault in Our Stars helmer Josh Boone has completed the spinoff X-Men: New Mutants for release April 13. David Leitch wrapped Deadpool 2 for June 1, and the Kinberg-directed X-Men: Dark Phoenix gets released November 2.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/x-force-drew-goddard-director-ryan-reynolds-x-men-cable-josh-brolin-fox-1202163706/

Will look forward to this love Drew's work.

Will look forward to this love Drew's work.

Same, this is great news.

New Mutants teaser arrives tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaJpp6djUTu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

oh, I don't use instagram, that's a neat trick when you click the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Their approach to continuity may suck, but Fox have been pretty creative with their use of the Mutants brand; between this, the 'main' X-men films, Logan, Legion, The Gifted etc. they've really made an effort to tell different kinds of stories in varying ways & tones that's to their credit. Honestly, I could never imagine Marvel Studios doing the same.

That said, the trailer was a little too heavy on the jump scares, so I hope the final film doesn't use them as much.

Channing Tatum’s Gambit is back on with a release date and all for Valentine’s Day 2019.
    Hot on the heels of the news that A Cure for Wellness and Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski is taking the helm of 20th Century Fox’s long-developed Gambit movie, the X-Men spinoff officially has a new release date. In a fitting move for one of Marvel’s more romantic, smooth-talking mutants — who’ll be played by bonafide heartthrob Channing Tatum, no less — Gambit is now set to arrive in theaters on Feb. 14, 2019.

While that once would have been a somewhat insane and off-limits time of year to release a tentpole superhero movie, studios have made a distinct shift toward a year-round blockbuster release schedule over the past few years. Fox hit gold with the unexpected release date when they released Deadpool in the 2016 Valentine’s Day slot. The modestly-budgeted film went on to make $783 worldwide, so if the studio finds it a favorable day, I don’t blame them.

http://collider.com/gambit-movie-release-date-channing-tatum/

That trailer looks great. I loved the horror aspect in Legion and it looks like more that here. I presume though that sequels would have to take a more formulaic approach as the "asylum" setting will probably only work as an origin story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kinda feels like Fox might be the first post-mcu in the whole superhero cinema game to find a distinct voice that isn't "knock off MCU without understanding why it worked".

Will watch New Mutants with interest.

Gambit has had another director pull out so it is delayed again I don't see this version being made myself.

New Mutants which was to be released in April has been bumped back till February next year.

Gambit has had another director pull out so it is delayed again I don't see this version being made myself.

New Mutants which was to be released in April has been bumped back till February next year.

Deadpool 2 also moved up to May 18th, two weeks after Infinity War but a week ahead of Star Wars: Solo.

There is now a Kitty Pryde film in the works.

X-Men Spinoff: Kitty Pryde Movie in the Works From Brian Michael Bendis, Tim Miller

The project is working under the codename "143."
    Deadpool director Tim Miller and Brian Michael Bendis, one of the biggest authors in the comic book world, are teaming for an X-Men spinoff.

The duo are developing a project called 143, which will be set in the X-Men universe, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Bendis, who wrote various X-Men comics during his almost 20 years at Marvel, will write the script, while Miller will direct.

143 is a code name for the project which sources say will focus on the character Kitty Pryde, a mutant who can phase through objects. The character was played by Ellen Page in 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand and 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past.

The project's code name is a reference to Uncanny X-Men No. 143, one of the earliest Pryde stories and her first solo adventure in which she faces a demon alone in the X-Mansion. The issue, by her creators Chris Claremont and John Byrne, was published in 1981.

Pryde has long been an X-Men fan favorite and is influential, serving as an inspiration for Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Collider.com initially wrote about Miller developing the project, for which Bendis was just hired to work on.

Miller, repped by WME, broke out as a director with 2016's Deadpool, which went on to become the highest-grossing X-Men film ever with $783 million worldwide.

Bendis, repped by Circle of Confusion, surprised the comics industry last year when he joined DC after spending 17 years as a top-billed writer for Marvel, where he created characters such as Miles Morales and Jessica Jones. He also was part of the Marvel Creative Committee that advised Marvel Studios' output through 2015.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-spinoff-kitty-pryde-movie-works-deadpool-director-1084163

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hurry up Disney and put a stop to all this

Advertisement