Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Cinematic Universe Movies.

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hurry up Disney and put a stop to all this

Why would you want to stop Brian Bendis and Tim Miller from making a Shadowcat film? That could be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Why would you want to stop Brian Bendis and Tim Miller from making a Shadowcat film? That could be amazing!

Because it's a scattergun approach. Deadpool is barely part of the X-Men movie universe. It's hard to see where New Mutants fits in and it sounds like that has problems with the push back on its release. Good knows where Shadowcat would tie in. If the X-Men are going to be rebooted or integrated into the MCU, these one off projects by Sony are a distraction.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Because it's a scattergun approach. Deadpool is barely part of the X-Men movie universe. It's hard to see where New Mutants fits in and it sounds like that has problems with the push back on its release. Good knows where Shadowcat would tie in. If the X-Men are going to be rebooted or integrated into the MCU, these one off projects by Sony are a distraction.

The scattershot approach has lead to the best films they've ever managed, and ones that'd never happen under Disney (Logan and Deadpool). Considering who's involved- this could be quality too.

I'm looking forward to the MCU X-Men but of all the other attempts at super hero cinematic universes, the only one that can even claim to be interesting right now is Fox IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The scattershot approach has lead to the best films they've ever managed, and ones that'd never happen under Disney (Logan and Deadpool). Considering who's involved- this could be quality too.

I'm looking forward to the MCU X-Men but of all the other attempts at super hero cinematic universes, the only one that can even claim to be interesting right now is Fox IMO.

I don't think there's any justification to call a bunch of scattershot movies a universe though. They are pretty much one offs with little to no link to each other.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I don't think there's any justification to call a bunch of scattershot movies a universe though. They are pretty much one offs with little to no link to each other.

If you feel like it. They're still very high quality movies and wishing a Bendis written Shadowcat movie doesn't happen is madness to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If you feel like it. They're still very high quality movies and wishing a Bendis written Shadowcat movie doesn't happen is madness to me.

If I feel like what?

Random, completely disconnected movies are simply not a universe that can be compared to the likes of the MCU. Fox have completely failed in building the X-men universe possibly even a more inept way than DC.

After saying that, I totally understand why some could prefer the one off project format. I think we are likely to see more of those when Disney take on the Fox rights but they will be direct to their streaming platform rather than full cinematic releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not that movie in particular but it's like Fox in its dying breath are throwing movie possibilities for all kinds of strange stuff like I've heard rumors of a Multiple Man movie, Doom movie, Shadowcat and the like , as someone else said it's scatter gun and there's no plan going forward for any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fox are now developing a Silver Surfer film.

New Mutants is also doing extensive reshoots adding new characters.

Fox are now developing a Silver Surfer film.

Why would you do that at this point? Unless you were planning to work it into the MCU...
    New Mutants is also doing extensive reshoots adding new characters.

Why would you do that at this point? Unless you were planning to work it into the MCU...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently the reshoots involve adding new character(s), so that scarcely reads as good news for the sake of the final film. Gives rise to speculation that it'll be a messy affair.

As before, I stand by my "no xmen" fundamentalism when it comes to the MCU and I stick by it, really hope New Mutants isn't the first casualty in the mega merge.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Apparently the reshoots involve adding new character(s), so that scarcely reads as good news for the sake of the final film. Gives rise to speculation that it'll be a messy affair.

As before, I stand by my "no xmen" fundamentalism when it comes to the MCU and I stick by it, really hope New Mutants isn't the first casualty in the mega merge.

I'm only kidding I'd really like New Mutants to be a Logan style individual, unusual comic book film.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/x-men-dark-phoenix/new-mutants-x-men-dark-phoenix-shuffle-release-dates/

X-Men: Dark Phoenix moves from November 2018 to February 2019
    New Mutants moves from February 2019 (having already moved from April 2018) to August 2019.

Neither film filled me with any great confidence to begin with, but now... yikes... Dark Phoenix move isn't too bad, but it seems like the reshoots and adding in new characters/story to New Mutants is quite substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What is going on with New Mutants?

I wonder is it a case of that trailer dropping and fox seeing the praise for the horror vibe and the film actually not being like that at all so they are trying to retool it to be more horror like?

Just checked and that trailer dropped 5 months ago and we're still almost 17/18 months away.

Dark Phoenix trailer.

Dark Phoenix trailer.

S'okay I guess?

It just all feels so redundant. Dark Phoenix with a Jean we don't know, sticking to the comic but without the slow burn that made that an epic (Claremont has many flaws but building something up to be a massive deal is not one of them).We literally got 15 seconds of, er, light Phoenix in the last film.

Are the Shi'ar in this? Obviously she gets Phoenixed in space...

A lot better of a trailer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

it looks like it's put together with the right ingredients but feels like the script and direction might be weak.

I think we're all supposed to react to this trailer like
    "OH MY GOD THEY'RE KILLING MYSTIQUE!!!"
    and desperately need to see the movie.

I don't think they're as popular as the film makers they they are, least not in the last 10 years or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm almost thinking we shouldn't need spoilers - the trailer's public domain, and the associated media tattle is pretty well publicised. It's an open secret that she hates the role and wanted out at all costs.

• Advertisement

Fair enough so :D

Is anyone that pushed at this point about J Law's Mystique?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I reckon this is a jumbled up mess. We (or at least I) don't care enough about the characters in this for the Dark Phoenix story to have the emotional hit that it did in the comics.
    I'll go to see it, but I want Marvel to give this a couple of years and then bring the characters back.

I really don't want X-men in the MCU. While it may, at times, feel crowded you still know that the supers are still a rare occurrence but if you add in the X-Men and the 1,000s (millions?) of mutants across the globe?

Unless they make the mutation a VERY rare event and keep a core of mutants but that pulls the rug out from under the whole point of antagonism between Prof.X and Magneto (a new species of human beginning to rise)

Fair enough so :D

Is anyone that pushed at this point about J Law's Mystique?

I doubt it. Seems like the overall reaction to the trailer has been a big shoulder shrug; she never quite 'got' the character & I think ultimately was a bit miscast.
    I really don't want X-men in the MCU. While it may, at times, feel crowded you still know that the supers are still a rare occurrence but if you add in the mutants and the 1,000s (millions?) of mutants across the globe?

Me neither; the MCU is busy enough as it is, Infinity Wars just about got away with its giant cast. Comicbooks liked jamming its universes together just for the adolescent thrill of seeing Wolverine fight the Hulk, but the movies should be in a position to avoid the temptation from the worse aspects of comic storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I expect Mutants to be introduced slowly and in isolation.

Perhaps lead with one or two characters who haven't been used all that much. Even though they teased the character it looks like Mr Sinister isn't been introduced into the Fox universe.

He could be the one that introduces mutants to the MCU through genetic tampering. I mean imagine a post Endgame world where there are some who become obsessed with making the human race the best they can be so they won't have to rely on heroes who were given their powers or where blessed with them. That obsession could lead to the berth of the mutant race.

S'okay I guess?

It just all feels so redundant. Dark Phoenix with a Jean we don't know, sticking to the comic but without the slow burn that made that an epic (Claremont has many flaws but building something up to be a massive deal is not one of them).We literally got 15 seconds of, er, light Phoenix in the last film.

Are the Shi'ar in this? Obviously she gets Phoenixed in space...

This is what, the 4th film and we don't care about Jean...
    The original films has it much tighter, so much so that the lake tease of the Phoenix drew genuine "Wow" moments in theatres at the end of X2.

They've made 2 huge mistakes this run through, focusing on a Mystique as a hero and casting Sophie Turner as Jean. I can imagine the casting process for her

Caster 1: "She's in Game Of Thrones and is a Red-Head."
    Caster 2: "I've actually not seen it, is she any good?"
    Caster 1: "Who cares!! She's in Game Of Thrones and is a Red-Head!!!"
    Caster 2: "Good enough for me"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aside from maybe Logan, I haven't been really hyped in any way for any X-Men film since maybe Last Stand. I enjoyed First Class a lot, and DOFP was great too, but these films are such a mixed bag that it's almost impossible to actually look forward to them.

The trailer has some good moments, but it could really go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

He could be the one that introduces mutants to the MCU through genetic tampering. I mean imagine a post Endgame world where there are some who become obsessed with making the human race the best they can be so they won't have to rely on heroes who were given their powers or where blessed with them. That obsession could lead to the berth of the mutant race.

I'm pretty sure that is the opposite of what the Mutant story has been about....
    So no, if they do that, I'm not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm pretty sure that is the opposite of what the Mutant story has been about....
    So no, if they do that, I'm not a fan.

I'm aware it goes against what the X-Men are. Just trying to think about how they could do convincingly as Fox have already exhausted some key parts of the story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement