Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sets of faahve

Comments

This programme is working so well for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Boom!

Your clothes will be getting even smallerer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bluewolf wrote: »
    This programme is working so well for you

It is.

Ripp gets a lot of flack for his teachings and training philosophies, mostly because of how simple they are as it's a one-size-fits-all approach. I was following programs that were cookie cutters, had multiple lift variations, periodization, RPE *, etc etc and was making very little progress. I reckon most of these were more suitable to stronger lifters and I was barely an intermediate lifter. I wanted something that was squat-centric and simple and Texas Method provided just that.

* there's nothing wrong with the above. I just needed to go back to basics

April 24. Volume day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * belt *
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 2
    125kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    125kg x 5

These were soooo heavy. I wanted to cry after the first set; not because it was fatiguing, but because there were another 4 to go. I kept thinking that it was too heavy, that dropping weight or only doing sets of 3 or something would suffice. Luckily enough, those voices in my head were drowned out by "fcuking lift it and don't be a pussy".

Walking away from the squat rack was rewarding; not because of what I lifted, but because I didn't give up.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 4 + F

3rd and 4th sets got grindy and I just couldn't get the bar past my forehead on the last rep. Started thinking about buying microplates on amazon later that day but out of the corner of my eye, I noticed something I hadn't seen before; 0.25kg and 0.5kg plates on one of the benches. Asked about them and as it turns out, some other gym member had them at home and wasn't using them so brought them in. The lifting gods must have been looking out for me.

Power clean:
    20kg x 5 (hang clean)
    30kg x 5 (hang clean)
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3

Warmup hang cleans felt solid but as soon as I was pulling from the floor, it all fell apart. I don't think I sped up the pull at the knees, meaning I was only doing a double extension (is that a thing?) using ankles and shrugging. I also had an achey hand since squats for some odd reason that was getting aggravated, so I stopped.

I think this calls for pancakes and nutella.

Well done!
    Sometimes the heaviest things we lift are our feels :p
    Nah well done. Eat all the pancakes

April 26. Recovery day

Lots of mobility cos groins were tight as fcuk

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

Reverse hyper:
    70kg x 12
    70kg x 12
    120kg x 8
    120kg x 5

Decided to change things up from the back extension. Wasn't sure what weight to use and there was already 120kg on it so thought it might be too heavy. 70kg wasn't a challenge so did 120kg and felt a burn. Had to split it in two cos I got a phone call to pick up bread on the way home. Shurrup love, I'm tryin to powerlift here

Pullup:

Facepull:
    29kg plate x 15
    29kg plate x 15

Grand day

April 28. Heavy day:

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    * sleeves *
    80kg x 5
    * belt *
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    132.5kg x 2
    142.5kg x 5

415896.jpg

Everything just felt good today, despite not getting a decent night sleep the past 3 nights. 4th and 5th reps were slow but felt like form held together.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    47.5kg x 3
    53.5kg x 5

+1kg 5RM. Was supposed to be 55kg but decided to start making use of the microplates. Good idea as the last rep was a struggle.

Deadlift:
    40kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    * belt *
    130kg x 3
    150kg x 1
    157.5kg x 5

+2.5kg 5RM. Spent more time practising my new cue in warmups and it didn't feel right until I got to 130kg. I think the belt may have forced me into a better position, which I'm in two minds about as I don't want to be reliant on a belt for good form. But the 130kg felt easier than the 110kg. The first 4 reps of the top set felt solid but the 5th felt like a disaster. Think I was just tired and despite what my mind was telling my body, I just resorted to getting the last rep done in what felt like ugly fashion.

Overall, can't complain!

It's only a small thing but maybe just do a single on last warm up. It's just to get a feel for the weigh but it's heavy enough that it might take a small bit off your capacity for the top set. Especially now your 5RMs are going way beyond.

All in all, great work man

It's only a small thing but maybe just do a single on last warm up. It's just to get a feel for the weigh but it's heavy enough that it might take a small bit off your capacity for the top set.

I agree 100% with this. I usually go up in 20kg increments to 100, then 10kg increments with tapering after. But if you compare today's warmup sets to previous Fridays, I skipped the 110kg today and definitely felt fresher for it.

I actually did this for deadlifts today. I hadn't planned on it, but will keep doing it.

I agree 100% with this. I usually go up in 20kg increments to 100, then 10kg increments with tapering after. But if you compare today's warmup sets to previous Fridays, I skipped the 110kg today and definitely felt fresher for it.

I actually did this for deadlifts today. I hadn't planned on it, but will keep doing it.

Yeah you don't need to go to 110 from 100 when your top set is north of 140.

Your deadlift warm ups are better than mine. I need to do more volume and smaller increments so that the first top set feels the crispest.

• Advertisement

May 1. Volume day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    * belt *
    120kg x 1
    127.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5

Form felt shakey overall. Had the bar resting on my hands for the first top set which indicated a lack of back tightness. Fixed it for the rest but there was something not quite right which I couldn't pinpoint.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 1
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5

First set felt weak. Tackled the rest with sheer aggression and they were fine.

One-arm DB row:
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8

Lateral raise:
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10

Gym was busy-ish and had all the deadlifters, so no platform available for power cleans. Just did some back stuff I hadn't done in a while. Probably should have done hang cleans in a squat rack. Oh well.

Grand day. Will be doing heavy lifting later today for housework stuff which I'm dreading.

May 3. Recovery day

All the mobility

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    102.5kg x 5
    102.5kg x 5

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 4.5 (Banged plate off top of rack so didn't lock out that side)
    40kg x 5

Reverse hyper:
    70kg x 10
    120kg x 10
    120kg x 10
    120kg x 10

These are bloody punishing. Trying to control them and not let momentum take over is hard after 6-7 reps

Chinup:

Facepull:
    29kg plate x 12
    29kg plate x 12

Grand day

May 5. Heavy day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * sleeves *
    100kg x 5
    * belt *
    120kg x 3
    135kg x 1
    145kg x 5

Another 5RM. And general PB. I won't lie though; all reps felt rough and I'm not sure why. Thinking about it, I may have been trying to look up on the ascent which is an occasional bad habit. One to watch out for next week.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 1
    85kg x 5

Another 5RM, albeit a slightly dodgy one. I purposefully had the safety pins at a height that was a tiny bit below my chest as I'm trying to do two things: force a bigger arch and ensure my hands are even at the bottom. One uneven bench and the bar smacks off the pins on the lower side.

Despite warmups going well, on my 2nd and 3rd reps, the bar hit the pins on the left. I was wary of it for the 4th rep and the bar barely hit my chest, so I'm hard pushed to count that rep. But on the 5th rep, the bar hit my chest solidly, but not the pins, so there's that.

Deadlift:
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    * belt *
    130kg x 3
    150kg x 4

Dialed the weight back this week as I had realised my form was wrong for a very long time. That said, because I've fixed my form, I'm finding the initial leg drive to be difficult as fcuk. My legs were jelly setting up for the 5th rep and I didn't have it in me. Next week, I'll have to dial it back even further; 145kg, or even 140kg.

I'll be deadlifting less than my squat for now :(. But form > numbers.

I may be incorrect but didn't the original TM have heavy deadlifts on one of the other days...volume day, I think.

It makes sense given that you're setting a 5RM on squat not all that long before deadlift so there's bound to be a negative impact on the leg drive.

Nope. Volume day does have power cleans though. Or power snatches, if you prefer. Not really comparable to a deadlift as it's more about speed work, but still a pull from the floor.

The single set of deadlifts per week is supposed to aid recovery as they are the hardest to recover from. I think the program relies on the carryover from squat, which is why there is no deadlift volume session.

Nope. Volume day does have power cleans though. Or power snatches, if you prefer. Not really comparable to a deadlift as it's more about speed work, but still a pull from the floor.

The single set of deadlifts per week is supposed to aid recovery as they are the hardest to recover from. I think the program relies on the carryover from squat, which is why there is no deadlift volume session.

I get why there wouldn't be a deadlift volume session - I break out in a cold sweat at the thought of it. It was more the heavy DL being with volume day where probably wouldn't have the same impact on CNS.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/texas-method

Ah, I get you. That's one variation alright. It's one to consider if I'm constantly stalling

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/texas-method/

May8. Volume day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    * belt *
    120kg x 2
    130kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    130kg x 5

Was hell after the 2nd set. Form felt alright though. Not brilliant, but alright.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 2
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5

The 5x5 weight I failed 2 weeks ago. Delighted to get it done. First 2-3 sets flew up but last set was grindy. Work done, move on.

Power clean:
    20kg x 5 (hang clean)
    30kg x 5 (hang clean)
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3

First time actually doing power cleans in about 3 weeks. 40kg felt awful. Couldn't get the catch right. Ran out of time due to my ultra long rest periods during squats so cut them short.

Last set of 5x5:

What are your rest periods between squats

• Advertisement

I don't time them any more. Back when my 5x5 was around 90-100, it would have been 2 minutes. When that got tougher to stick to, went up to 2:30. Now, it's probably closer to 4-5 minutes. I'm not sure. At this weight, I just wait until I don't feel dead any more.

All I know is I was in the gym for over an hour by the end of the squats. Thank fcuk for work being flexible.

Same as that. I time rests these days so that I know I've taken long enough between sets.

That's good to know. I sometimes wonder am i taking too long with 2-3 mins. Might up to 5 and see

That's good to know. I sometimes wonder am i taking too long with 2-3 mins. Might up to 5 and see

Depends what I'm doing. The more I get into a strength block and then peaking for comp, the more conscious I am of making sure I'm rested. No need to be turning work sets onto metcons or carrying unnecessary fatigue through working sets

May 10. Recovery day

Aalll the mobility. Hip flexor emphasis

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 1
    105kg x 5
    105kg x 5

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Reverse hyper:
    50kg x 6
    80kg x 10
    80kg x 10
    80kg x 10

Previous logs showed me at 120kg. That was wrong. My gym arithmetic made me automatically add 20kg for the bar on top of the 4x25kg plates, which doesn't exist. So it was actually 100kg I did. Went down in weight this week as I want to practise controlling the weight instead of relying on swinging.

Chinup:

Facepull
    35kg plate x 10
    35kg plate x 14

Grand day

May 12. Heavy day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * sleeves *
    100kg x 5
    * belt *
    120kg x 3
    140kg x 1
    147.5kg x 4

Erm... a 4RM. All 4 reps felt like dogsh1t. After 4th, my legs were jelly and I knew I wouldn't get a 5th. I've had a "shut up and lift" attitude that has helped a lot recently, but I just knew I'd have to dump the bar if I tried. Disappointed.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 3
    50kg x 1
    55kg x 5

New 5RM, +1.5kg. Made me feel better after the squats.

Deadlift:
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    * belt *
    130kg x 2
    150kg x 1
    170kg x 1
    190kg x 1

I did a silly thing and decided to ignore the program here. Tried to make myself feel better by going for a new PR, and I got one. +15kg. But I video'd it and it looked crap. Back not straight and hips moving before the bar. This is the weight I should have gone for at the last meet but got greedy and jumped to 200kg. Yes, it is a PR, but I don't consider it progress.

Feeling sorry for myself. But maybe I should shut teh fcuk up and get over myself cos I did get 3 PRs today.

• Advertisement

We've all done it!

Next week is a new week with new 5RMs

I'd like to think so, but I have to take into account that I made a lot of progress in a short space of time so it was all going to catch up with me at some point. I thought it would be further down the line, but hey ho.

I'm thinking of a TM deload. Basically, it's 90% of what all lifts would be but at a reduced volume (5x3 instead of 5x5). I'll do that for squats and deads for one week and then go back to where I was. It's light enough that I should get rid of accumulated fatigue but heavy enough that I don't 'forget' how heavy the bar is.

I'd like to think so, but I have to take into account that I made a lot of progress in a short space of time so it was all going to catch up with me at some point. I thought it would be further down the line, but hey ho.

I'm thinking of a TM deload. Basically, it's 90% of what all lifts would be but at a reduced volume (5x3 instead of 5x5). I'll do that for squats and deads for one week and then go back to where I was. It's light enough that I should get rid of accumulated fatigue but heavy enough that I don't 'forget' how heavy the bar is.

Yeah, you've had a regular PR every week so looks like a good plan to dial back and she'd fatigue.

May 15. Volume (deload) day

Squat:
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * belt *
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 3
    115kg x 3
    115kg x 3
    115kg x 3
    115kg x 3

These felt heavier than they should have. Perhaps this deload came at the right time.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5

Not deloading the bench because progress there seems fine. The first set felt awful. Realised I was losing tension somewhere in the lift, resulting in my shoulder being forward at lockout. Rest of sets felt better once I fixed that but the last rep on each was hard. Tired and sweaty after these.

Power clean:
    20kg x 10 (hang clean)
    30kg x 5 (hang clean)
    40kg x 3 (hang clean)
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3

The real success story of the day. My power cleans are crap recently and I'd mainly put that down to me skipping them regularly as I usually run out of time. I spent extra time in warmups practising the triple extension and it really paid off.

Not all reps were good. I'm still inconsistent and sometimes forget the shrug part, resulting in me needing to semi-curl the bar into the catch position. But once I nail the controlled pull followed by explosive extension and catching the bar right, my head goes "fcuk yeeeaaahhh".

Grand day. Except for the rain. But I'm inside so whatever.

May 17. Recovery day

Had an unusual amount of hamstring doms this morning, which was weird considering the reduced weight and volume of Monday's squats. Maybe it was the awesome power cleans. Who knows. Anyway, lots of mobility to start

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3

Non event really. Easy weight.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5

Hamstring curl:
    41kg plate x 10
    41kg plate x 10
    41kg plate x 10

People were using battle ropes beside the reverse hyper machine and I didn't want to be beside scary noises, so did this instead. Despite being an easy weight, still felt a nice hamstring burn as was doing a 2s eccentric

Pullup:

Rear delt dumbbell flyes:
    5kg x 8
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10

In and out of the gym in less than an hour. Unusual.

• Advertisement

May 19. Heavy (deload) day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    * belt *
    120kg x 1
    130kg x 3

Bit slow and grindy for my liking, considering it's lighter than it's supposed to be. I may have been a bit complacent of form. Silly.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 1
    87.5kg x 5

New 5RM, +2.5kg. Last two reps were deathly slow. I think I may have gripped the bar wrong (more on thumb pad than across the hand) and only realised it during the 2nd rep. Still managed to get the work done.

Deadlift:
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 7 (RDL)
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    * belt *
    130kg x 1
    140kg x 3

Form felt better than usual, but I didn't record so not sure how it looks. Had tension in the hamstrings more than usual so there's that.

Grand day.

May 22. Volume day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * belt *
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 5

Back to 5x5/1x5, but slowly getting back to where I was. Despite the weight, it still felt really heavy. Sweat pouring out of me.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 1
    48.5kg x 5
    48.5kg x 5
    48.5kg x 5
    48.5kg x 5
    48.5kg x 5

Felt crap. Last reps of most top sets were slow grinds.

Power clean:
    20kg x 6 (hang clean)
    30kg x 5 (hang clean)
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    45kg x 3

Amazing what not skipping these for a few weeks can do to improve form. First 3 top sets were pretty solid, but last 2 were godawful. Couldn't catch it properly. Would either have to semi-curl it at the top or ended up hitting the bar off my neck. I guess I was tired.

Tough day. Need fooooood.

May 24. Recovery day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5

Reverse hyper:
    50kg x 8
    80kg x 10
    80kg x 10
    80kg x 10

Pullup:

Facepull:
    35kg plate x 12
    35kg plate x 12
    35kg plate x 12

Work is hellishly stressful at the moment and my eating yesterday amounted to very little followed by a rubbish Chinese takeaway in the evening. That was followed by a broken sleep by waking at 3am and dozing until 5am. Good thing today was an easy day.

May 26. Heavy day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * sleeves *
    100kg x 5
    * belt *
    120kg x 2
    135kg x 5

Was grand. Top set was a little grindy.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 3
    50kg x 1
    56kg x 5

New 5RM, +1kg.

Deadlift:
    40kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    130kg x 1
    145kg x 5

Felt crap for the last 2 reps. The heat in the gym was suffocating despite the wide open front and back doors.

Grand day but dear god, the heat!

May 29. Volume day

Saturday I had both a wedding and doms. Doms was about 10% the previous day's session and 90% the gardening work I did afterwards. Did some foam rolling of the back to be safe

Squat:
    20kg x 6
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    * belt *
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    120kg x 5

First 3 sets just felt awful. Realised I was leaning forward a bit much, so stayed a tiny bit more upright and everything felt smoother and lighter.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    75kg x 1
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

These were a struggle as usual. But looking back, I can see the progress. At my last meet, 77.5kg was the heaviest I had ever done for more than a single and now here I am, doing 80kg for 5x5. Touch and go 80kg vs 77.5kg paused, but still happy.

Power clean:
    20kg x 5 (hang clean)
    30kg x 5 (hang clean)
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    20kg x 3 (hang clean)

These felt like dogsh1t today. I stopped because I was getting a pain in my right elbow for some odd reason. Did some extra light hang cleans for sanity's sake. Think I need to spend more time doing more warmup sets as that's what helped improve these before.

All things considered, grand day.

May 31. Recovery day

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5

Hamstring curl (30x0):
    41kg plate x 12
    41kg plate x 12
    41kg plate x 12

Pullup:

Think this is a rep max. Program is just 3x AMRAP sets but I always capped at 10 to ensure I get the reps in later.

Facepull:
    35kg plate x 12
    35kg plate x 12
    35kg plate x 12

Grand day

June 2. Heavy day

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * sleeves *
    100kg x 5
    * belt *
    115kg x 3
    130kg x 1
    140kg x 5

Felt heavy and grindy, but didn't feel like being missed either. Went a little forward on 2nd or 4rd rep, but form was good otherwise.

Bench:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 4
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 1
    90kg x 4+F

Was about to match my paused PB with a touch and go 5RM but failed on the last rep. Strength just wasn't there. Guess it's a 4RM now.

Deadlift:
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    110kg x 3
    * belt *
    130kg x 2
    150kg x 5

Form felt grand for 3 reps, then started to fall apart as I got tired.

Annoyed I failed the bench. Won't dial back as every 2nd week is like a mini deload for bench, so will go at it again in 2 weeks. I'll get that fcuker.

Unless I'm wrong, a 4RM with 90 still puts you on the way to a big new 1RM down the line.

Yes it does. I could have probably gone for 100 touch and go today, but ultimately, 100 paused is the next big goal. I'll see how much progress I can get with this program before switching things up and putting emphasis on paused benching again. If I reckon I could go for 105/110 touch and go, then 100 paused should be possible.

June 5. Volume day

Climbed Galtymore on Saturday so reckoned I might drop the volume a bit for today's session. To go along with tired legs, I had both a hangover and blocked sinuses all day Sunday. Could be hayfever or a cold, not sure yet.

Squat:
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    * bely *
    110kg x 1
    122.5kg x 3
    122.5kg x 3
    122.5kg x 3
    122.5kg x 3
    122.5kg x 3

Yeah, this weight felt awful. Grindy as fcuk. Dropping volume was a good idea.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 1
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5

These felt remarkably ok. I'm happy as this suggests maybe my legs were tired from hiking only. And maybe my sinuses are hayfever and not a cold. If it was a cold, surely I'd feel weak here too. Sweet

Had to skip power cleans because the girlfriend needed a lift to work. And besides, my energy levels were poor. Probably better off.

• Advertisement

I highly recommend Cetrine tablets

Seconded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought these cetrine tablets were some magical energy boosting supplement until I looked them up

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I thought these cetrine tablets were some magical energy boosting supplement until I looked them up

Hi Brendan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi Brendan!

Wha?

Wha?

Brendan O'Sullivan.

It was a topical gag.

I should be on something like Have I Got News For You....if it's still running

Wha?

Let's smile and nod ...

Philistines.

June 7. Recovery day

All the mobility. Upper quads were sore from hiking doms. Dunno the name, but top of foot on bench and knee on ground, pushing ass back into the heel seemed to work wonders.

Squat:
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5

These felt horrifically heavy. Like, 65kg is supposed to be a piece of piss. I may have fatigued myself on Friday. Or be sick. I dunno.

GHR:

Texas Method calls for these, but anything hitting the same area is also acceptable. I hate GHRs as I can never do them right. Always end up cramping no matter what I do. But I did loads of reading and figured out what I was doing wrong. Basically, I had the motion and foot placement right, but had been placing the knee pad too close to my feet. Adjusted this and was able to bang out reps with no cramping. Nice pump too.

Pullup:

Need foooood

• Advertisement

Dunno the name, but top of foot on bench and knee on ground, pushing ass back into the heel seemed to work wonders

Couch stretch.

I always find it great but don't do it enough. Reminder set!

Advertisement