Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket own brand identical to branded products

Options
  • 19-04-2017 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

There's an article in dailymail where people found original hula hoop packets in their multipack of aldi own brand hoops. They're obviously manufactured in same factory, only thing different is the packaging. Do you know of any other supermarket own brand products that are identical to the "original?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

sinny65 wrote: »
    There's an article in dailymail where people found original hula hoop packets in their multipack of aldi own brand hoops. They're obviously manufactured in same factory, only thing different is the packaging. Do you know of any other supermarket own brand products that are identical to the "original?

loads of supermarkets do this - they contract the likes of Premier Dairies Or Dawn or Kellogs to make their cereals/juices/whatevers and package in own brand packaging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Weetabix?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Keepers choice biscuits. Bashed up biscuits from some of the main brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Bread, milk, biscuits,dogfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Great investigative journalism from the daily mail there. There's tons of them, it's hardly a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

err, all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Weetabix?
    Massive difference between Lidl weetabix and the brand name. I wish there wasn't as I'd much rather buy the cheaper one but the lidl one is ropey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Valeo Foods do contract manufacturing for all the main shops. All the branded products they make can be got unbranded. Generally the ingredients arent the same quality but very little difference. The mark up they get is less also

Of course own brands are made by named brands!
    There's hardly a Dunnes stores factory producing thousands of own name brands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

They are not identical however. Yes they may be made in the same factory, but the ingredients vary depending on who the customer is.

Channel 4 did a good documentary a few years back on this. The factories make stuff to the shops recipe using ingredients supplied by the shops.

The one I remember was prawn mayo sandwiches. M&S and Lidl both had them produced in the same place.

The bread, prawns, mayo and even the butter was different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

prinzeugen wrote: »
    They are not identical however. Yes they may be made in the same factory, but the ingredients vary depending on who the customer is.

Channel 4 did a good documentary a few years back on this. The factories make stuff to the shops recipe using ingredients supplied by the shops.

The one I remember was prawn mayo sandwiches. M&S and Lidl both had them produced in the same place.

The bread, prawns, mayo and even the butter was different.

But that makes sense as you would pay more in M&S than Lidl for a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

optogirl wrote: »
    loads of supermarkets do this - they contract the likes of Premier Dairies Or Dawn or Kellogs to make their cereals/juices/whatevers and package in own brand packaging
    Some of it's identical, some of it's made in the same factory but it's not identical.

For things like milk obviously it's the same. Milk is milk, there's only one ingredient.

But other stuff with multiple ingredients is made on a production line. When Tesco go to a manufacturer looking for their own-brand stuff, the manufacturer gives them the list of ingredients, and the price of each. Tesco then tweaks the recipe to suit their budget - either using less of some ingredients (or more of others), or swapping out entire ingredients for a cheaper alternative.

When the factory is then running off a Tesco batch, it loads the Tesco recipe into the computer and the machine produces the Tesco product. This doesn't just go for the product itself, but the packaging too. Hence why own-brand stuff is often less fresh, or has less longevity than branded stuff; cheaper packaging.

So while many products are produced by a brand name in their own factory, that doesn't actually mean that the end product is identical.

This is why the Lidl cornflakes are a little bit chewy and get stuck in your teeth, while the branded ones produced in the same factory are that little bit crunchier and fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Same factory different receipies. Not news really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Prawn snaps from Aldi are Skips. Identical taste size/shape but half the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

For dairy products you can check as there is a plant id on the wrapper.

If the plant id is the same then the product is exactly the same

Not necessarily though, the location is the same but the item might be manufactured to a different spec on a different line.

Tesco batteries are made by Duracell.

Weetabix?

Aldi and dunnes stores ones tastes nearly like weetabix, nice and crunchy and hits the spot. Lidl one is very different, not nice, turns to a saliva-depleting mush.

I assume Aldi mcgraths tea is "made by" Barry's tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

optogirl wrote: »

Kellogs "don't make cereals for anyone else."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I've found Centra branded foodstuffs are quite good quality and reckon they are well known branded products.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I assume Aldi mcgraths tea is "made by" Barry's tea

Roberts and Roberts I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's amusing when Aldi or LIDL not only produce near-perfect facsimiles of brand items but also give them a cheekily similar name that is a clear pisstake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Aldi and dunnes stores ones tastes nearly like weetabix, nice and crunchy and hits the spot. Lidl one is very different, not nice, turns to a saliva-depleting mush.

Lidl cereals are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Lidl cereals are awful.
    I thought so too, until I tried their Fruit and Fibre. Damned if I can tell the difference to the Kellogs version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

cml387 wrote: »
    I thought so too, until I tried their Fruit and Fibre. Damned if I can tell the difference to the Kellogs version.

Agree. Also Tesco's own brand fruit and fibre cereal, some years ago anyway, was a very good product

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's standard practice I'd imagine from a manufacturing perspective.

Reminds me of Dr Pepper who leverage off Coca Cola and Pepsi's bottling plants to bottle their drinks instead of financing their own plants or independent bottling companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My mother in law told me fabric conditioner is identical but labeled differently according to brand, but it isn't, some of them are weaker and more diluted and a completely different colour. She uses caps and caps full of the cheaper stuff to compensate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I still can't find an own brand cereal that tastes anything like the branded ones. I'll try the fruit and fiber and see what it's like, the Tesco one was like cardboard though.

Advertisement