Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

gypsylee wrote: »
    When is the 10km you are doing? Going on last night's time you will have no bother with it even if you do not manage to get another long run in. Good luck with it.
    It's on 2nd April in Roscommon town. I haven't set a goal time as yet.

All's been quiet enough on the running front this past week. We've been busy with other events (rally support) so it was great to spend all last weekend outdoors in that weather!
    Had planned on going to the Gaa circuits class on Fri evening but hubbie was busy with rally stage set-up so my mum very kindly offered to mind kiddo.
    We had 10 mins of intervals which covered 1.7 km in 10:45. Splits 6:11 and 6:05 (0.7). Then into the gym for work mainly on bums.

Mon 27/03/17 10km 1hr 13mins 35 sec
    Splits: 6:37, 7:32, 7:57, 7:29, 7:25, 7:38, 7:17, 7:39, 7:47, 5:55

This was my last long run before the 10km this Sunday. Didn't really have time to think or plan my route so just went a route I had done before. It heads from the car park, right into the middle of town and then loops around the outskirts of town. I had been using this route because id been running on my own and this route was lit and busy with traffic. But I've come to learn that I don't like running up the town, the paths are too narrow. So will be looking for new routes from next week.
    Run was ok, again the calves started at me near 2km but I was better by 3km after stopping to stretch. Felt like I was shuffling along a little bit. My time looked respectable but didn't feel it when I was out. 9km was slower only because I stopped to take photos of the gorgeous sky with the sun setting! Last km I said I would give a good push on, imagining this was the last bit of the race, I was helped with the time by it being downhill! But happy with myself that I could finish strong.

Training plan calls for 55mins paced on Weds and 30 mins easy on Thurs. Weds will be out for me so gonna try for 30 mins easy on Thurs, fitness class Fri and parkrun volunteering on Sat. Need to sort out some extra calf warm ups for Sunday, I really can't pause during the race between 2 and 3km to stretch my calves when they get sore and tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on your run last night. Was a beautiful evening to be out.

Good luck on Sunday, hope all goes well for you.

5.4km 40mins
    Splits: 6:25, 7:41, 7:56, 7:13, 8:08, 6:31 (0.4)

Well I was supposed to do 30 mins easy and that was neither 30 mins nor did it feel easy! I miscalculated my route so I had to cut short. I had to pause multiple times to stretch out my calves, they felt so tight, and I couldn't concentrate on my run, I just kept thinking about my calves! Normally when I stop to stretch them out that are fine after but not this time, they just feel really hard and tight. And it was a fairly flat route.
    Otherwise it was a lovely evening out!

I'm hoping on Sunday I'll be fine, that there will be enough distraction around me to take my mind off them. There's a 5-10 min walk to the start line from the race hq so hoping that will help me get them sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    5.4km 40mins
    Splits: 6:25, 7:41, 7:56, 7:13, 8:08, 6:31 (0.4)

Well I was supposed to do 30 mins easy and that was neither 30 mins nor did it feel easy! I miscalculated my route so I had to cut short. I had to pause multiple times to stretch out my calves, they felt so tight, and I couldn't concentrate on my run, I just kept thinking about my calves! Normally when I stop to stretch them out that are fine after but not this time, they just feel really hard and tight. And it was a fairly flat route.
    Otherwise it was a lovely evening out!

I'm hoping on Sunday I'll be fine, that there will be enough distraction around me to take my mind off them. There's a 5-10 min walk to the start line from the race hq so hoping that will help me get them sorted out.

Good luck on Sunday Enjoy.
    Try do a 1km slow jog as a warm up and then stretch the calves before you start the race.

Any chance you could foam roll the calves this evening and tomorrow it would be a big help.

If they are still at you next week, a Sport massage will give you great relief and will rub out any niggles in the calves.

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday Enjoy.
    Try do a 1km slow jog as a warm up and then stretch the calves before you start the race.

Any chance you could foam roll the calves this evening and tomorrow it would be a big help.

If they are still at you next week, a Sport massage will give you great relief and will rub out any niggles in the calves.

Thanks. Yeah I'll dig out the foam roller and give them a going over this evening and tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck Sunnydayz. I hope the calves are ok for the race :)

Sunday 10 km 1hr 4 mins 2 sec - PB!!!

Splits: 6:33, 6:33, 6:36, 6:15, 6:31, 6:46, 6:24, 6:13, 6:10, 5:47

Was not expecting to pb today!

Had plenty of time this morning, a 10:30 race start and Roscommon town is about 30 min drive away. Was there to see the half marathon start off and then back to the car to get set up. Had a banana around 9:45. Race briefing at 10 and then about a 10 min walk to the start. Glad to have a light singlet on, it was so warm, Christ there were a few in long sleeved tops. Was hoping no one would notice my hairy legs, my waxing appointment isn't til next week so I put a bit of fake tan on them hoping it would hide the hairs! Did plenty of warm up stretches and slotting a calf stretch after each one. Glad of this as the calves never gave an ounce of trouble along the whole run. However I never thought to have my garmin watch ready until we were called to the line and I saw everyone had the fingers on the button ready to press! It took about 400m before the watch was ready. Rookie mistake!

So for the rest of the run I wasn't quite sure of the distance as there were no distance markers for the 10km. It didn't really bother me too much, I just concentrated on keeping going.

First few kms were around the town, part of it was around by Roscommon Castle and the lovely park there, never seen it before. Going through the park I think was km2-3 and I did a quick check, form and pace felt good, calves fine, right keep going. Ran around parts of Roscommon I never knew existed. Going was good, plodding along passing people which is new for me. Finding that I was picking people off rather than pacing along behind someone trying to keep going.

After the 5km there was a water station. Even though I was carrying a little bottle of water I seen they had Fanta orange and fancied a taste and a sugar buzz. Stopped for a few mouthfulls, haven't mastered running and drinking yet! That's why km6 was a bit slower. From here now we were outside the town heading out the country by the golf club and a bit of forest. It was getting up warm now so looking for shade where I could find it. The pack had spread out a bit now, I could see one guy away ahead and could hear two women chatting a bit behind me so I wasn't too alone. Still quite happy with my pace, didn't feel I wanted or needed to slow down at any stage.

Around the end of km7 we merged with another road and with the half marathoners to run to the finish. That's probably why my last few kms were quicker. So a bit more company for me and I felt a little bit like a "real runner" in amongst these half marathoners! I picked out one woman a little ahead of me and decided to keep her pace. But she slowed down to a walk after a bit and I gave her what I hoped were a few words of encouragement. Carried on and there was a water station along km 9 and I figured if they had any Fanta left I wouldn't say no. Little bit of a sugar kick to get me to the end. Cos I had stopped for a drink, that lady passed me by and i was back to keeping up with her! She slowed down to walk again about 500m before the finish. I could see the hotel at the finish line in the distance and just gave it what my little short legs could do!

Wasn't sure of my time when I crossed the line. Found out a few hours later that I bet my pb by just over 10sec!! :D Wasn't expecting to get even near my pb today. Have to say I really enjoyed that run. It just flew by, couldn't believe it was over so quick, I didn't find myself counting down the kms, wiling them away like I've done before, I just used my watch to check my pace. So happy with my pace in the 2nd half of the run, it didn't drop and my pace actually looked steady enough throughout, except when I stopped at the water stations. Little things like that make me pleased!

Bit of a blister on my left inside arch so resting my feet now with a nice cuppa and the windows open enjoying the nice afternoon. Think I'm getting a headache though from listening to someone's dog barking constantly.

Just want to say that I think that was the first time The Ros Run was put on, they also had a half and full marathon and it was so well organised and run. They had a great turnout and a fab day weather-wise for it. If it's been run again next year I would recommend people to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fantastic run, congratulations on the PB.

Wow, well done you. What a great race you had. Consistent pace throughout. Loved reading your report. Congratulations.

• Advertisement

Congrats on the PB and very well paced race. Remember to keep foam rolling and stretching the calves and definitely see if you can get a sport massage to iron about any issues in them.
    Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done. Brilliant stuff :)

Got 2 runs on Friday, one before fitness class and one as part of fitness class

3.3km 20:54
    Splits: 6:06, 6:19, 6:22, 6:13 (0.3)
    I didn't really intend on this being so quick. I knew I had about half an hour before class so wanted to get as much done beforehand. Plus it easy to unintentionally go quicker along the running/walking track, the flat tarmac helps.

2.6km 16:28
    Splits: 6:06, 6:14, 6:11 (0.6)
    15 mins of intervals at the start of class. I didn't feel particularly tired but I just found i was too fast on the slow intervals and too slow on the quick intervals, not much differentiation between the intervals when i look back on strava. Bums & tums after. Have a sun holiday booked and would like to tone the midrift a bit. But like any other year, I'll go as i am with my wobbly belly and not pass any remarks!

Saturday 5km parkrun 30:00 !!
    Splits: 5:42, 6:19, 6:16, 6:46, 6:01
    Totally unexpected parkrun pb for me!! Was hoping to get around under 32 mins as I was running the previous evening. First km was too quick, as usual but there was a small fast field there yesterday. 2nd km was more enjoyable. 3rd km struggled a little on one section around when I turned at 2.5km and realized I was only halfway through. At the start of my 4th km I was passing by my water bottle and stopped to drink, I also struggled up a hill and had to walk. But once I got past that I was on to my favourite part of the course. The last km I just dug the heels in and kept going. I was just glancing at my pace every so often during the run, I didn't really know I was that close to the illusive 3-0! Hubbie was actually run director but I left him alone to process the results and waited for the text message instead. Both myself and little sunny dayz got new parkrun pbs! I swear it wasn't a fix with hubbie being run director!

So 2 pb's in the space of a week!!

Have another 10k coming up at the end of the month. I don't expect to beat last week's 10km time as it was a fairly flat course and this one has hills (Donegal love their hills!).
    There's a local 5km in 2 weeks time but undecided about it as there's 2 other things on that day vying (sp?) for my attention.

Edit: Left glute a bit sore since last night, made for fun trying to turn and get comfy in bed.

Well done on the 5k PB :) Smashing them out all round at the moment.

Great running. Well done on your PB.

Another PB, great running.

Mon 10/04/17 10.1km 1hr 11 mins 54 sec
    Splits: 6:42, 6:36, 7:21, 7:12, 7:30, 7:33, 7:36, 6:58, 7:16, 6:31, 5:35 (0.1)

First longish run since my 10km race. Was aiming for slow but the first few kms were quick as it was bloody cold out and me in a tshirt. I didn't feel properly warm until about 7km. Few walking breaks, the body and the legs were just a bit tired. Part of this route I've done a few times now and there's a bit of a climb on it, I can feel myself getting stronger on it (or more stubborn not walking that part).

Fri 3.2km 21:44
    Splits: 6:38, 6:45, 6:36, 5:57 (0.2)

Decided to get a little run in before fitness class so few laps around the pitch. Had to call it quits after 20 mins as there was a match that evening and a fe of the lads were out warming up and I was spending my time kicking balls back in to the pitch or trying to avoid getting hit by them!
    Fitness class after turned out to be a HIIT type session, aww it was tough but great!

Sat 5km parkrun 31:31
    Splits: 6:08, 6:40, 6:32, 7:04, 6:22

As much as I'd love to challenge my parkrun pb from last week, after the previous night's HIIT session I knew my legs were tired so I just went with having a run rather than chasing a time. It was an ok run for me, the hills seemed like mountains on my legs! But I ran with the hubbie and tried to keep the pace going as much as I could - and himself got a mighty new pb! So in the past 2 weeks all our family have new parkrun pbs! Enjoyed some chocolate at the finish line and the nice weather meant many people stayed around chatting and eating after, usually the top half of the field are gone by the time I get in.

Debating whether to go for a long run or a cycle tomorrow - dependent on the weather and the spring cleaning!

Well done on your runs. Great to see your family getting involved too.

Mon 17/4/17 15km 1hr 50 mins 32 sec
    Splits: 8:21, 6:55, 7:06, 7:47, 7:45, 6:50, 7:37, 6:50, 7:57, 8:08, 6:52, 6:39, 7:29, 6:50, 7:10

Yes you read that right - 15km!!

I think my longest run before now was about 12 or 13km, I seem to be a bit hesitant about venturing further than 10km. Yesterday was a rare day of having nothing going on and nice weather. I did laze in bed til after 10 so it was after 11 before I got on the road. Had porridge with fruit and a glass of oj with my vitamins about half an hour before starting out.

Bit of walking on the first km to warm up. Kms 3-6 were along the cycleway, I like that the cycleway is safe from traffic, it was great to see it so busy that morning with cyclists and walkers. But because much of it is enclosed either side by hedges, it felt quite warm. At the end of the 6th km I swung off the cycleway and down a back road to the main road where it felt cooler. Out along this til after the 8km mark as I knew my route home would be shorter. Got a bit of a fright around 7.5km, there was a dead badger hidden in the grass verge along the edge of the road, I didn't see it until I was beside it!

My 10th km was a little slower as I stopped to take some photos to upload to social media (of a view, not of myself!) The amount of times I see photo worthy things on my runs and don't interrupt my run to snap them. The amount of random things I see along the side of the road on my run, yesterday I seen a shower head and a fairly new looking smart boot.

Another fright along my 12th km where a little bunny jumped out of the grass verge and nearly ran in under my feet! This turned out to be my quickest km, I don't know how, I think I was in much of a daydream for it!

Another fright along km 13! A big black horse came thundering out of an avenue just as I had passed it. I waved down a few cars to slow them and then saw an equally big black jeep come out the same avenue just as fast!

I had planned that the last 5km would be along a route that I've run quite a bit so it would make it a bit easier and it did. However the final km of the route leads UP to where our house is and the climb felt tougher on the tired legs.

Overall I'm delighted with how that run went. I didn't set out to do a particular time or pace. I'm surprised at my splits. I know I probably should have been going at a slower pace but it was all learning for me so I ran by enjoyment instead! Few walking breaks but they were to drink water or to cross at junctions. Not a bother on the calves. I didn't bring any fuel with me, just a small bottle of water. It didn't feel as long as I thought it would, I was worried I'd get bored or fed up!

You'd think then I'd put my feet up for the rest of the day and finish my easter egg?! Naw, cooked the dinner, then roped the young fella into going for a cycle to the nearby park about 3km away with the bribery of some hot chocolate at the park café. Turns out the park café was closed so we cycled back and made hot chocolate at home!

Nope not finished yet! Went to the local Gaa fitness class as again it was a rare time I was actually free on a Monday eve and there seemed to be a great demand for the class going by the group chat. I'm finding some of the core work a little easier than before, no abs yet though!

Decided to reward my efforts of the day with a Chinese takeaway and did a mile jog around the park across the road from the takeaway while I waited.
    I actually feel ok today, tired and a little achy. But no soreness or stiffness yet.

• Advertisement

:) That must be one of the most eventful runs of all time!!

Great work by the way.

Wow, well done you! That was a great day's work. I love days like that when everything just seems to fit into place fitness wise. Great work.

Didn't get any running done on Fri nor the fitness class. It was a long day at work and with a few personal things going on, as much as I know exercise helps your mood, I really couldn't face into it and enjoyed a supper out with my boys.

Sat 22/04/17 parkrun 5km 30mins 54 sec
    Splits: 6:14, 6:49, 6:34, 6:28, 6:01

Wasn't expecting this good a time!
    Was feeling quite tired due to my low mood but still wanted to run, just to get out and about. Wasn't chasing a particular time, to keep moving. Ran with the hubbie up to about 2.5 km. He then starting getting a sore quad and told me to head on. Being the dutiful wife I abandoned him!
    I've found that one section of the course is slowing me down and it's a part that I have to meet twice - it's a climb where it's steep hill then level, steep climb then level, like stairs. Was beaten into walking here. It's now on my mind to tackle!
    Anyway checked my watch at 4.5km and was surprised that it was pretty decent so pushed for the finish. Turns out it was my second quickest run at my local parkrun - I don't know where that came out of as I wasn't even trying!

Mon 24/04/17 9.9km (grr!) 1 hr 25 mins
    Splits: 7:06, 7:28, 7:29, 7:38, 9:29, 8:01, 8:07, 9:13, 10:52, 10:56

Not my usual pace. Had company on the run though. Another is doing a 10km but hasn't covered 10km in quite a while so I brought him along with me on my usual jaunt while the young lad is at athletics. First off my watch wouldn't find signal for the first 150/200m. Grand then started off, tried to keep himself slow and steady. After 2km he had to stop to stretch out so I paused my watch, rookie here didn't remember to restart my watch until 500m later! After that it was jog a little walk a little. Around the 5km turning point we walked for a bit, chatted and boosted spirits again, we were on the return leg. Jogging and walking intervals up to about 8km. Then he had enough of the jogging, his knee was hurting and was scared of doing damage so we walked the 1.5km back to the car and we were up to 9.5km on the watch. However silly here forgot to stop her watch again so the last 500m on the clock was walking to collect the child, chatting in the sports grounds and walking back around the car park!

Anyway it was great to have a bit of company on my run for a change, it was baltic outside. My company was happy enough after, he said that although his knee was at him, the rest of him felt fine and he didn't feel tired and the distance didn't feel too long so he feels more confident about his 10km soon.
    I myself am doing a 10km on Sunday (Northwest 10k). Will try to get an easy run out on Thurs eve as the rest of my days/eves are quite busy. Looking forward to it, I've done it twice before, and this time around I want tackle one particular hill that has got me every time!

Thurs 4.2km 29:02
    Splits: 6:23, 6:46, 7:19, 7:09, 6:12(0.2)
    Plan called for 30 mins easy. Raging when I stopped the watch that it read 29 mins! Grand run, nice evening out. Pace graph on my strava though looks up and down between slowing to cross roads and to take my phone out of the holder to skip a song, wish there was a way of skipping songs with my headphones.
    That's it for running til Sunday. Hoping to collect my race pack this evening if I can get over on time. Volunteering at parkrun on Saturday, it's not Saturday if there's no parkrun! And I must put a little playlist together on my spotify so I don't need to skip songs during the race, I like a bit of tunage in the background during a run (with one ear bud in).

Good luck with the 10km run on Sunday. Hope all goes well for you.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Good luck with the 10km run on Sunday. Hope all goes well for you.
    Thanks, I'm a bit nervous about it. They announced during the week that the route has changed due to roadworks so the hill I was planning on tackling is not on this year. Partly happy cos I'm not a fan of hills but also raging cos I wanted to conquer it! But instead much of the route is flatter but along the ring road of the town twice instead of once, it's long boring and exposed.

Sunday 30/04 Northwest 10k Letterkenny 1:05:27
    Splits: 6:16, 6:08, 6:10, 6:09, 6:56, 6:35, 6:38, 7:05, 6:47, 6:12

My 3rd year doing this, they changed the course last minute during the week due to roadworks. On the plus side it cut out a big hill, on the negative, I was hoping to conquer it this year, it bet me each year and also the diverted route was a road I'm not mad on.

Run wasn't on until 2pm, so clever clogs here went out for a few drinks the night before, had a lie in and sausages and bacon for breakie!

Got there in plenty of time, got tshirts and warm up stretches. Call for 10 mins to start so we headed down to the start line. We had running bibs on and slotted in to the back section of the runners, just in front of the walkers start line. Start wasn't great, we didn't hear a countdown, just a bang and people at the back looking at each other, are we supposed to go? In the first few hundred metres we had to get around so many walkers, some of them looked to have started near the front too, I don't understand why people do that.

First km was ok, just moving along with the crowds, glad of my last minute decision to ditch the long sleeved top. 2nd km was ok, again just going with the crowd. During the 3rd km the hubbie peeled back a bit. Water station along this km was welcome with cold water, it was starting to heat up. 4km was ok, still plodding along, the route was beginning to thin about a bit with people. 5th km I could feel the legs getting a bit tired and starting to heat up a bit now, little walking break to take some water.

Timer at the 5km mark said around 32mins I think, was doing ok. 6th km was a little struggle, we were back to the original route now and I noticed a climb that I hadn't noticed before, I think because we normally had a downhill into this section and not this time. Later half of the 6km and into the 7th was a fair climb up towards the main street. Dug in and did not walk any of it, was happy with that. On the main street and other cold water station, much appreciated and carry on running down the main street. The 8th km was definitely tougher. Just was starting to feel tired, was looping round near the finish line and could hear people being cheered in but I still had under 3km to go. From here to the 8.5km point was the part of the course I was dreading, and I wasn't wrong, it's long boring and wide open. It was taking such effort to move the wind was nearly stopping me, I walked at a few points cos it just felt easier than trying to run against it! But once I turned in at the Polestar roundabout I knew I was heading for the home stretch. Seen someone I know with a bag of sweets, a jelly baby was much appreciated. At the 9km marker, there was a guy with a watch calling times as we passed which was helpful, I was on 59:xx. I pushed on a bit but conscious that there was a little climb until the next roundabout but once I passed that it was head on for the finish.

Didn't see the timer display at the finish and my result after is a good 30 sec slower than my recorded time which is strange cos my watch was running on gun time, not chip time. Hubbie landed in a few mins after me and the young lad said the timer was 59:xx when he crossed the line himself but for some reason he's not showing on the results...

Overall it was a good enough run, little annoyed with the few walking breaks, bit of head taking over, but still it was my 3rd quickest 10km to date and 5 mins quicker than last year!

Well done on a great race. A great time to do it in.

• Advertisement

Well done :)

Advertisement