Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant. Well done! Enjoy the Prosecution now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done of your first half, great achievement. very warm out there in places and a tough course for your first. Onwards now and keep the training going for the next goal..

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Congratulations Sunny Dayz. Well done on a great finish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cporto

Congratulations! I was following your log ahead of the race as it as my first half too. Enjoy the achievement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks for all your messages. I'm happy enough with how the half went. On reflection, the first part of it went very well, pace was quite consistent, it was enjoyable and I think it's the first time where I ran 10km or more and hadn't to stop at all for any length of a walk. But I feel like my head got the better of me once I entered the Phoenix park though and I should have had a strategy for the park to focus on. It is a little disheartening to see people finished running back along after completing their half (probably extending their long run) and you know that you have 8 kms still to go.

Anyway running has been fairly quiet since the half marathon 2 weeks ago. Decided to give myself a week off just to have a break as the training did eat into my family life a bit. It was lovely to have a lie in last Sunday morning, no long run! I also got a rest the Saturday morn too as the young lad wanted to give parkrun a miss and I gave in, he hadn't a Saturday morning lie in all summer.

Last week then I planned on getting back out, even just for a few kms, just to keep the fitness up and legs ticking over. But evenings got taken up with school prep, car shopping, new baby visiting etc.

But got my 50th parkrun done at my local one on Saturday.
    5km parkrun 31mins 37 sec
    Splits: 6:22, 6:22, 6:19, 7:15, 6:31
    It was a lovely morning for this and I wore my RnR tshirt to show it off, mistake it's too big on me and felt very heavy. Anyway wasn't sure how this run was going to go as it was my first after the half and after an extended break. First 3kms were grand, not bother just plodding along. But when I hit the 3km mark I just felt tired, thirsty, warm. Took a few walking breaks up to 3.5km and tried to pick it up. Another little walk at 4km and then knuckled down for the rest of the run. Not a bad time in the end and it felt good to get the runners back on.

I'm going to have to do something about my feet. The blister on the outside of my big toe calms down to hard skin but when I exercise (run or gym) it flares up into a filled blister. My runners are fine, I got new socks, it doesn't hurt, it's not bloody but I'm just be wary that a) it doesn't look nice and b) incase I do harm or it gets infected. That said (and touch wood) if that's my only niggle I'm doing alright

• Advertisement

Mon 04/09/17 10.1km 1hr 13mins 20 sec
    Splits: 6:41, 6:47, 7:23, 7:13, 7:17, 8:14, 6:54, 6:43, 7:55, 7:08, 5:43 (0.1)
    Youngster back at athletics this evening so I decided to chance a run. First proper long-ish run since the half. Wasn't one of my best runs, a few walking breaks. About halfway through the run I felt tired, bored, wondering how did I do this running malarky all year! But the last 4 kms I seemed to relax into it, my mind drifted and I found myself enjoying it towards the end. Lovely feeling last night and this morning of the little tingle in my calf muscles, maybe they enjoyed getting back out again?!

I'm doing the Great Pink Run this weekend. Spent a while on my run last night trying to get a strategy and a goal time. Earlier in the year I wanted to go for a 5km pb with this run of under 30 mins. On my run last night I realised that most of my running all summer has been slow in prep for the half, I've done little or no fast running. So I revised upwards to scrape under 31 mins. Then last night when I was buzzed up after my run, I thought about 30mins and a half! I know technically it's a run and not a race but it's been ages since I raced a 5km.

Good luck with the Great Pink Run. I ran it last year as my first 10 km. It is a lovely route.

Are you doing the 5 km race? I did the Great Ireland one in the Phoenix Park in April and got a PB of 28.05, down from 30.02. If it is the same route you will fly through it.

Congrats on 50 Parkruns, great achievement and good luck on Sunday at Great Pink run, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck in the Great Pink Run. No reason why 30.5 wouldn't be achievable after all of your hard work over the summer :)

Sat 09/09 Great Pink Run 5km 31:06
    Splits: 6:05, 6:07, 6:06, 6:45, 5:54
    A good and bad run. We were there mad early cos the 10k was on first and we were worried we wouldn't get parking nearby. But we had ages to spare and were kinda cold waiting round. Not as much of a crowd or a buzz compared with the previous year.
    When we were penned in for the 5km they did a warm up routine but I think it was a bit over-energetic - I was nearly tired and we hadn't even started yet! We got near to the front, didn't want to have to navigate around too many walkers. First 3 kms were enjoyable, lovely part of the route, it flew by.
    Just after the 3km marker there was the climb into the hairpin - the person I was running with was starting to really struggle now and I got him to push on til we got round the hairpin corner. However after that the road still climbs so it was a few walking breaks until I was told to carry on myself. But it was difficult to get back into my stride and those around me I had been pacing off for 3km were out of sight. Even though I've run this route a few times, this 3-4km section always seems to get me, it's always way longer than I remember.
    Turned in for the last km, deflated after a crap km and just decided to press on as best I could. The finish line in clear view with 500m to go and I put the boot down, however 200m left and my breathing got very difficult and I had to slow right down for 100m and then just sped up again to cross the finish. Felt and looked so stupid and inexperienced, sprinting off too early, slowing down and then short sprint at the end to save face at the finish line. I'm not gonna lie: I was a bit disappointed to see 31 on the clock. Still over a minute quicker than last year's run but I really wanted to see 30:xx.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Sat 09/09 Great Pink Run 5km 31:06
    Splits: 6:05, 6:07, 6:06, 6:45, 5:54
    A good and bad run. We were there mad early cos the 10k was on first and we were worried we wouldn't get parking nearby. But we had ages to spare and were kinda cold waiting round. Not as much of a crowd or a buzz compared with the previous year.
    When we were penned in for the 5km they did a warm up routine but I think it was a bit over-energetic - I was nearly tired and we hadn't even started yet! We got near to the front, didn't want to have to navigate around too many walkers. First 3 kms were enjoyable, lovely part of the route, it flew by.
    Just after the 3km marker there was the climb into the hairpin - the person I was running with was starting to really struggle now and I got him to push on til we got round the hairpin corner. However after that the road still climbs so it was a few walking breaks until I was told to carry on myself. But it was difficult to get back into my stride and those around me I had been pacing off for 3km were out of sight. Even though I've run this route a few times, this 3-4km section always seems to get me, it's always way longer than I remember.
    Turned in for the last km, deflated after a crap km and just decided to press on as best I could. The finish line in clear view with 500m to go and I put the boot down, however 200m left and my breathing got very difficult and I had to slow right down for 100m and then just sped up again to cross the finish. Felt and looked so stupid and inexperienced, sprinting off too early, slowing down and then short sprint at the end to save face at the finish line. I'm not gonna lie: I was a bit disappointed to see 31 on the clock. Still over a minute quicker than last year's run but I really wanted to see 30:xx.

Well done on the course PB! Over a minute is a big improvement :)

Sorry you were disappointed overall. Do you use Strava? If you do the GAP split time would be interesting to see how much that hill effected your 4th KM? KM3-4 is nearly always my slowest in a 5k race but when it coincides with what sounds like a really tough hill it's a double whammy, you did well to recover and run a fast last km :)

Don't worry about feeling like a rookie, I reckon the majority of people at these races are likes ourselves & still learning how to race. The real rookie mistake and i still make it occasionally:o is to take off like a greyhound and die a death after 500m :pac:

You did really well, lots of positives.

ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry you were disappointed overall. Do you use Strava? If you do the GAP split time would be interesting to see how much that hill effected your 4th KM? KM3-4 is nearly always my slowest in a 5k race but when it coincides with what sounds like a really tough hill it's a double whammy, you did well to recover and run a fast last km :).
    Yes I use Strava and never knew what the GAP splits were for! That's interesting. GAP split for 4th km was 6:05 but for the 3rd km was 6:48. That would make sense too as my companion was starting to struggle on the 3rd km, my pace is quicker than his but his stubbornness meant he stuck with me for longer and faster than he probably should have. The 3rd km much of this is downhill so used this to conserve his energy a bit and take advantage of the downhill force.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Yes I use Strava and never knew what the GAP splits were for! That's interesting. GAP split for 4th km was 6:05 but for the 3rd km was 6:48. That would make sense too as my companion was starting to struggle on the 3rd km, my pace is quicker than his but his stubbornness meant he stuck with me for longer and faster than he probably should have. The 3rd km much of this is downhill so used this to conserve his energy a bit and take advantage of the downhill force.

What i find really helpful is when you're doing a race/course that you've done before you can look back on previous performances. You now know for next time that the 3rd KM is a fast one with lots of downhill so a chance to bank some seconds and/or conserve some energy for the following km where you will need to dig deep to get up that cork screw hill.

It sounds like at tough course though, overall well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Well done on the run, I know you wanted 30:XX but 6 seconds is nothing over 5km, take away the climb & tight turn & you are well into the 30's.

I find pacing 5k's to be very difficult at the moment, I find that I over extend in the 1st KM, I tell myself I need to get some space but I tend to go way too hard as a result. You last KM being sub 6 minutes is a good sign.

Sat 16/09 parkrun 5km 31:42
    Splits: 5:58, 6:38, 6:42, 7:04, 6:34
    Local parkrun, feels like ages since I've ran this but it's only been 3 weeks. However just after I started off my watch started beeping at me - I had set the virtual pacer on my watch last weekend (which still didn't get me 30:30) and I forgot to switch off. So now I was going to be stuck with it beeping at me for being behind pace for the whole run! There were two other women running around my pace for much of the run and it was nice to have a bit of company for a change. However they started to pull away after 3km and I should have done more to keep up with them, I did gain a little on them but never enough to get a hold on them. Happy enough to get under 32 mins though.

Body and legs are still tired and sore. Had my first gym session on Fri night, the first one in probably 3 weeks aswell. Was a little disappointed after it, exercises that I had no problem doing before such as bicycle crunches or russian twists I was really struggling with. It's like I've lost my strength and fitness after taking it easy the past couple of weeks. I've really let my foot off the pedal with the child started secondary school, his hobbies starting back, work getting busy, darker evenings and no races planned for the rest of the year.

Mon 18/09 3.4km 23:50
    Splits 6:42, 7:24, 6:39, 6:42 (0.4)
    The child does sports on Mon eve and I would usually aim for a longer run while that's on. But had to work late so I said I would nip in to collect him and go for a walk while I waited. By the time I drove in, that plan turned into a run and the long sleeved running top and jacket were not the ideal running clothes - ended up sweating buckets! Still; a little stretch of the legs, clear the head after a long day at work, I had forgotten about the mental health benefits of running.

why no get a 5k plan and set up the Parkrun as your target race in 8 weeks or so...motivation to get you out when you have a plan to follow

Hal Higdon 8 week 5k Intermediate would be a good one to follow.

Younganne wrote: »
    why no get a 5k plan and set up the Parkrun as your target race in 8 weeks or so...motivation to get you out when you have a plan to follow

Hal Higdon 8 week 5k Intermediate would be a good one to follow.
    Thanks Younganne. Yes I think I need some sort of plan to keep me motivated, I've been floating about really since the half. I do parkrun most Saturdays as it is. I wouldn't set my local one as a target race anyway, it's a tougher one on grass and trail. I'll see if I can pencil in a bit of parkrun tourism as a target race.

Sat 23/09 5km parkrun 31:45
    Splits: 6:05, 6:34, 6:40, 6:47, 6:47
    The local parkrun. I wouldn't say I'm getting bored of it, I like taking part each week, seeing who's there and not there and catching up. But I'm not seeing any improvement in my times. It's not an easy or straight forward course so I don't expect pb's but week on week I'm not finding the run getting any easier. Anyway I started out chatting someone but let them away after 1km as I was going much slower than their speed. And for the last km and half I caught up and got chatting to someone new and this helped me get around the last bit of the course.

Mon 25/09 9.1km 1hr 08mins 49
    Splits: 7:05, 7:39, 7:45, 7:44, 7:56, 7:56, 7:23, 7:27, 6:48, 5:54 (0.1)
    Child was at training so I roped in one other to go for a run and keep me company. I knew a 5km loop nearby which I did before in a run a good while ago so I wanted a refresher of this route. I can't blame the other person for my slow splits - I had to pause a few times to stretch out the calves. Plus I just felt very tired, hadn't slept right the previous night. It just felt like an effort! Got the 5km loop completed and I did feel a bit more awake so I convinced him to go out the road and back a bit, another 2km done. We got to where the child's training was but still had 15/20 mins so I took to the track as it wasn't really being used. The other one joined me for a lap or two, they had never run on this track before, but the novelty wore off after two laps! I carried on to bring myself up to 9km. Usually on a Mon night I would get 10km done but ya can't really sniff at 9km, better than sitting on the sofa!

Would love to try some sort of speed session but I don't think I'll get out for a run again this week until Saturday's parkrun.

Sat 30/09 5km parkrun 31:20
    Splits: 6:21, 6:42, 6:30, 6:33, 6:15
    It probably wouldn't feel like Saturday without parkrun! Was a fab morning for it, I took a chance wearing shorts and a sleeveless top while I still could. I still struggle with my local parkrun but this was the first one I can remember where I didn't give in and walk. I might as well have been walking in some spots but no I didn't give in. I started out easier and I thin that made a little difference. There's been a women doing a decent pace the past few weeks so I decided to follow her! she might not know it but it was her who got me up those dreaded climbs. Once I got past the 3.5km mark as past the toughest climbs I decided to chance it and push forward. Have to say I was happy enough with that one!

Mon 02/10 10km 1:16:18
    Splits: 7:21, 7:32, 8:07, 8:26, 8:01, 7:30, 7:58, 6:59, 7:31, 6:37
    An ok run. Initially looking at the times I felt that my runs are getting slower. But it was supposed to be a slow easy run. Left calf felt tight for the first few kms, few breaks to stretch it out gradually. Now that it's dark in the evenings, I've roped himself into going with me, but he's not the most enthusiastic about going for a run. I think I'm going to have a plan a few routes which are in and around the town centre where it's busy and there are streetlights etc. I'm just not a big fan of running along the footpaths on the narrow streets. Once we hit the 5km mark we were on the outskirts of town where it's nicer to run. We got into a good stride then and it was enjoyable for the last 5km that looped around the edge of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done on the park run! It's a great feeling when you win the mental battle of not giving in and walking when it feels tough (though sometimes walking is fine and necessary too!). And I'm clinging on to shorts for as long as possible too!

Sun 08/10/17 9.8km 1hr 3mins 13 sec
    Splits: 6:12, 6:41, 6:22, 6:13, 6:22, 6:39, 6:21, 6:10, 6:37, 7:00 (0.8)

A local group had organised their last marathon long training run for a charity. It wasn't a timed race or anything like that, just a training run and if you wanted to join in for the full thing or hop in and out along the route for a few miles, whatever you wanted to do. I decided I would join in for the last 6 mile/10km. I parked up and waiting for the group to pass through, I sussed out the pace of them passing by and when I seen a group that seemed in and around my pace (remember they are doing their lsr) I tucked in behind them. I have to say I really enjoyed the run. The first km I spent trying to suss out my pace, I did initially speed up a little to catch the group when I learned the next group was bit behind and I didn't want to wait on for them. The second km was a little slower as one of the people in the group took a walking break and I caught up to her and slowed a bit to keep her company and boost her up, she had done 14 miles at that stage. After that it picked up again and I really enjoyed the run. The route was lovely, I've driven it many times but never run it and was spotting views and houses I had never seen before and it didn't feel hilly, one or two climbs but they weren't bad at all (and this coming from someone who dislikes hills). I couldn't believe my pace any time I glanced down at my watch, it felt good, it didn't feel hard.

However the 9th km hit. At this stage we were on the outskirts of the town and it suddenly felt very hard. Any climb felt like a mountain, the main group I had initially joined I had passed by (I had fresher legs doing 6 mile as opposed to 20 miles) and I hadn't really anyone in front of me to focus on as the other group were much further ahead. I wasn't sure where the finish line was so I felt a little aimless. But when I seen the time on my watch at the end I was pretty pleased with it. It's up there with my two fast 10km races from earlier this year which were both pb's and yet this felt like an easier effort. Overall pleasantly surprised.

Well done on your 10km. Great pacing.

Last week was yet another week of I really should go out for a run, but then not bothering! Monday I usually go out for a run but I came home from work in really bad form, a run probably would have cleared the head but I knew I would have ended up crying if left alone with my thoughts! Curled up under a blanket with tea and tv while hubbie brought the child to training.

Went to the fitness class on Fri evening which I hadn't done for ages. It was a tough class but really enjoyable. Saturday afternoon I knew about it though! My core hurt when I laughed - which prompted my husband and son to crack all the jokes and I had to leave the room!

Sat morn - parkrun tourist!
    5km 30:18
    Splits: 5:45, 6:06, 6:01, 6:32, 5:51
    Decided Fri night, buoyed up after a gym session, that a bit of parkrun tourism was on the cards and we decided on a fairly flat parkrun about a half hour drive away. I decided right I was gonna try for the elusive sub 30 mins! First km was nice, had to remind myself to slow up a bit, bit disheartening to have people pushing buggies going flying past me. 2nd km felt ok, crowd had thinned out a bit so distracted myself by looking around as this section was along a canal. 3rd km started to feel harder. There was a lady and a younger girl ahead of me and the gap between us was growing wider. Was also starting to feel a bit of digestive discomfort but tried to distract from it. 4th km wasn't great, took two walking breaks - I had thrown away any chance of a sub 30. The two women were further ahead of me, there weren't any great views to look at, scenery was fairly boring so I couldn't even distract myself. Usually I think about where to go from breakfast and what to order, but those thoughts wouldn't have helped me! When the last km kicked in I decided to try and get as near to 30 as I could. I started to make some good ground on the young girl ahead of me and had practically caught up to her at the finish. I was happy with my time at the end but a little disappointed that the 4th km got to me again. I wish my mind had been stronger and more focussed. I think I'll be back to try and crack it again! At least I know sub 30 is within reach.

Well done on your parkrun, that sub 30 is nearly yours!

Have you signed up for any more races this year?

gypsylee wrote: »

Have you signed up for any more races this year?
    No, there doesn't appear to be any races locally for the next while that I'm aware of. I'm not sure I really want to travel too far and I will be busy with work for the next month. A few weekends are also booked with the young fella doing xc. Plus a friend had a baby recently and I kinda want to wait until they have set a christening date as I don't want to miss it. I know the Run in the Dark is on nearby next month but €25 is very saucy. We did it last year, €75 for the 3 of us to run 5km untimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

gypsylee wrote: »

Plus one to this. You're within touching distance!

Thurs 19/10/17 3.5km 25:31
    Splits: 6:38, 7:30, 7:05, 8:36 (0.5)
    This was just about physically getting myself out of the house. I have got out of the habit of running during the week and half the battle is getting back out the door after getting in from work, especially when the evenings are getting darker. Did have to pause along the way to stretch out the calves, they got very tight around the 2.5km mark.

Sun 22/10/17 4km 27:05
    Splits: 6:34, 6:47, 6:46, 6:47
    Another one of those "I have a brief window and an inclination for a run, quick, get out the door before I change my mind" moments. A nice enjoyable run. Legs felt much better as I had walked around the shops earlier that day. Only realised when I uploaded to strava that the splits were so even, that wouldn't happen if I tried!

Mon 23/10/17 5km 40:13
    Splits: 7:04, 7:56, 7:53, 9:12, 7:34
    Ok that was a fairly crap run. I've got it into my head that I want to try my hand at pacing. Now obviously it would be a slow enough pace seeing as my average 5km time is 31 mins. I got it into my head that I could pace 35 mins. So when the child went to training I decided that I would do a practice run along my local parkrun course of 35 mins pacing with a guinea pig! Well it was a fail! It was so dark, even though we brought a torch it was still difficult to see. My ankles felt quite sore cause I knew I wasn't running correctly, I was trying to get my footing in the dark. I could hardly see my watch! Stubbornness in me wanted to keep going but I had to concede and walk the darkest parts of the course.
    Now I wondering is 35 mins too ambitious for me to pace and should I extend back to 40 mins? I'm not required for pacing but I'm trying to get a few practices done incase my local parkrun does a pacers week and then I can volunteer to do same.

Sun 28/10/2017 5km 31:41
    Splits: 5:40, 5:58, 6:38, 7:00, 6:17
    A local 5km run was held for charity, small crowd so no race atmosphere as such, just a group of people out for a sunday stride really. Clashed with the marathon so that was probably why. Ran with one other and we said we would try and give it a good stride. First 2 kms were good. 3rd km it started to get very warm out. 4th took a walking break longer than what we should have. Last 5km was just digging the heels in and getting it done. I probably should have started a little slower and not walked as much but I was alongside someone and they were delighted to get what they think was their 3rd fastest 5km.

I probably should have got out yesterday bank holiday Monday being off work. But I had a few things going on and although a run might have helped to clear the head, in reality I think my mind would have gone into overdrive with my thoughts. So I kept busy at home and signed up for the Clontarf 5 mile instead!

Well done to all who took part in DCM. I think maybe next year I might go up and spectate.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the Clontarf 5 mile. Having a race to aim for will help keep you focused. I have never ran a 5 mile so I am going to sign up for the Raheny 5 mile at the end of January.

Do you have any thoughts of doing DCM yourself?

Advertisement