Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

aaakev wrote: »
    The US has **** loads of tanks in strategic locations in countries bordering Russia too... ww3 coming? !?!?!?!

"We'll be at war this summer, well be lucky if it's not nuclear" supposedly said by an X nsa lad.

http://www.news.com.au/world/the-war-word-is-being-increasingly-heard-as-europe-russia-china-and-the-united-states-adopt-provocative-postures/story-fndir2ev-1227371823129

maybe bordering on CT but with Ukraine, Russia, China and the USA all playing war games and giving out to each other, I'm stock taking and buying a bit extra. Just in case 😒

Ah good old X.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I follow that guy john Schindler on twitter too. I don't know anything about him. I think I started following him during the Snowden debacle he is convinced that Snowden is a spy he has other interesting opinions too I do not think he is some sort of conspiracy nut.

http://20committee.com/2015/05/28/i-told-you-so/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A tragic loss of life and a reminder of why we prep...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0914/727645-floods-weather/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Incredible footage from the inferno of Fort McMurray. How to evacuate an entire city by road.

• Advertisement

The rise in non-lethal weapons licenses in southern Germany on foot of the large influx of refugees and economic migrants.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160517/number-of-small-weapons-licences-in-bavaria-skyrockets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The rise in non-lethal weapons licenses in southern Germany on foot of the large influx of refugees and economic migrants.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160517/number-of-small-weapons-licences-in-bavaria-skyrockets

This is something that bugs me about Ireland. Pepper spray should be legal they should even come up with some sort of licence for it. You can get pistols now that only fire pepper spray balls or rubber balls but are illegal here crazy. Bean bag rounds for shotguns are illegal for civilian use. If someone breaks into my house the only options I have is to fight them hand to hand which could end up with one of us seriously injured or dead or shoot them which ends up with them seriously injured or dead and me in court. We need non-lethal forms of self defence in this country sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I like Tabasco sauce.

I like camping.

I like quality water pistols with widened nozzles, similar eye-drop bottles, and kitchen cleaner dispensers.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Esel wrote: »
    I like Tabasco sauce.

I like camping.

I like quality water pistols with widened nozzles, similar eye-drop bottles, and kitchen cleaner dispensers.
    Cleaning every 2nd day becomes a pain

The incredible story about a woman who was stalked by a starving wolf for 12 hours, when a bear came along...
    Joanne Barnaby was deep in the deadfall, smeared in mosquitoes and blood, dehydrated and near exhaustion, when she heard the call of a mama bear searching for its cub.

Barnaby couldn’t believe her luck.

Twelve hours earlier, she had been picking mushrooms in the remote Canadian wilderness when she had heard a growl behind her. She turned around and saw Joey, her faithful mutt, locked in a snarling standoff with a skinny black wolf.

For twelve hours, the wolf had pursued Barnaby and her dog through the wildfire-scorched forests of the Northwest Territories.

And for twelve hours, the starving animal had tried to separate Barnaby and Joey, driving them all deeper into the bush.

Night settled around Barnaby, hiding the swarms of mosquitoes that blanketed her arms, legs and face.

And still the wolf snapped and growled, waiting for the woman or her dog to drop their guard.

Barnaby was near collapse when dawn began to creep across the sky.

That’s when she heard the bear grunt.

And that’s when she got an idea.

It was an idea so outrageous, some critics would later accuse her of making the whole ordeal up.

Yet, Canadian officials and close friends confirm Barnaby was missing in the woods.

And she is sticking by her story that a preposterous idea — of pitting one predator against another — saved her life.

[Colorado mother fights off mountain lion that attacked her 5-year-old son]

From hunting morels to being hunted

Joanne Barnaby knew better than to leave her gun at home.

She had grown up in the Northwest Territories, a huge and rugged region of Canada stretching north of Alberta to the Arctic Ocean. Part Dene Indian, or “mixed blood,” as she would say, Barnaby spent much of her childhood in a residential school, run by the Catholic church and designed to assimilate Inuits into mainstream Canadian culture.

“They tried to take the Indian out of us,” she told The Washington Post.

When she grew up, Barnaby chose to work with indigenous communities. She often went hunting and hiking through the wildlife-rich forests, always remembering to pack her rifle.

On the morning of June 10, she and a friend, Tammy Caudron, decided to hunt for morels. They climbed into Barnaby’s truck and drove east from Hay River along the highway.

Barnaby didn’t want her rifle on her back as she stooped to pick up the pricey mushrooms.

So she left it behind.

“It was a stupid mistake,” she said. “I paid a big price.”

The incredible story of how that small mistake nearly cost Barnaby her life was first reported by CBC Wednesday. Barnaby spoke to The Post by phone on Wednesday night.

Barnaby parked her truck near the highway at around 1 p.m. The two foragers then walked in different directions in search of morels. Barnaby had with her a basket, a can of beer and Joey, her black and yellow mutt.

Joey was Barnaby’s guard dog. When a bear would approach her log cabin-style house in Hay River, Joey would race outside and chase them off.

So when, after about three hours of mushroom hunting, Barnaby heard a growl behind, she knew there could be trouble.

She turned around and saw Joey staring down a black wolf.

The wolf was skinny — probably cast out of its pack, Barnaby thought — but still twice the size of Joey. And it was between her and the highway.

“He looked old to me, but he was smart,” she said. “It took me a while to realize how smart he was, and that he was actually being very, very strategic in trying to separate me from my dog and wear me down. I don’t think he was strong enough to take us both on. And I think he knew that.”

Joey tried to scare away the wolf, as he did with bears, but it didn’t work. The wolf was just watching them, legs spread apart as if ready to pounce, lips curled back to show sharp teeth.

“It scared the hell out of me,” Barnaby said.

The wolf was hunting her. Whenever Barnaby tried to angle back toward the highway and her truck, the animal cut her off. She found herself drifting deeper into the woods.

“He was directing me. There was no question about it. He was pushing me further and further from the highway,” she said. “He was stalking me. He was literally stalking me.”

That’s when it dawned on her.

She might die.

Tammy Caudron didn’t worry when she walked back to the truck and found it empty. She and Barnaby had a system. Caudron honked the horn, had something to eat and waited.

When Barnaby didn’t emerge from the forest, Caudron decided to go back to picking morels. She returned an hour later with more mushrooms, but there was no Barnaby.

This is not good, she thought.

Caudron walked into the woods, yelling and whistling.

Nothing.

She walked back to the truck and honked the horn.

Nothing.

Now she started to panic.

Caudron flagged down a passing truck. When she told the men inside who was missing, they didn’t seem too concerned.

“Jo knows the bush,” one said.

It was true. Joanne Barnaby knew these woods better than almost anyone. It was nearly impossible that she had gotten lost.

But Caudron worried that her friend had broken a leg or, worst of all, encountered an animal Joey couldn’t scare off.

The men agreed to help. They spread out in the woods, firing their shotguns to alert Barnaby to their location.

Barnaby knew where she was, however. She even heard a few of the gunshots.

But she was powerless to heed them.

As the wolf drove Barnaby and Joey deeper into the woods, the landscape shifted. The relatively flat, burned forest floor gave way to thicker foliage.

Dusk fell and still the animal pursued them. Barnaby had only her now empty beer can: no food, no water. A cloud of mosquitoes followed her. Even as the wolf watched, Barnaby developed a habit of rubbing her hands over her exposed face, arms and legs.

“My hands were just full of blood and mosquitoes,” she said. So many swarmed her face that “at some points it was hard to see.”

She tried rubbing poplar powder on her skin to keep the insects away, but it did little good.
    Joey, the mutt that helped save Joanne Barnaby from the wolf (Courtesy of Joanne Barnaby) Joey, the mutt that helped save Joanne Barnaby from the wolf (Courtesy of Joanne Barnaby)

She was exhausted, hungry and dehydrated. The day had been hot. The night was cold. She was nearing her breaking point.

Then the sky began to brighten in the east, and she heard a grunting sound.

She could barely hear it over the whine of the mosquitoes, but it was there, in the distance: a sound she recognized well: the call of a mother bear.

“I actually sat down on a log and really concentrated,” she said. “I heard the cub’s response. It was coming from another direction, away from the mother, so obviously the mother was calling her cub.”

The wolf, meanwhile, was watching.

“I sat there and I thought about it and I prayed about it,” Barnaby said. She struck upon a seemingly insane plan. She would put herself between the mother bear and her cub in the hope that the mama bear would drive off the wolf.

“I decided I would take a chance,” she told The Post.

Of course, her plan could backfire. The bear could attack her instead.

As she walked toward the cub, she could hear its calls getting louder. Before she ever saw the animal, however, the forest erupted behind her.

“All of a sudden I could hear this crashing behind me and this yelping and growling and howling,” she said. “I just got out of there as fast as I could—from all of them, the cub, the mama bear and wolf.”

For half an hour, Barnaby and Joey took a beeline away from the bears. For once, the wolf didn’t follow.

When she felt they were safe, she paused to rest. But Joey began whimpering, so she let him lead her on through the forest. He took them to a small lake.

The water was muddy and tepid, but it was better than nothing. She filled her empty beer can and drank. Her leg cramps subsided and she felt some strength return. She then climbed up a small hill. In the distance, several miles away, she could see the gleam of metal power poles along the highway.

She descended the hill and headed toward the highway, only to find her path blocked by a vast field of deadfall, or tangled, dead trees.

“I don’t know if you know that game Pick-up Sticks,” she said. “It was kind of like that but on a massive level.”

Barnaby tried to climb through the deadfall. Ten minutes into it, however, she fell and hit her back.

She turned back, away from the search party and salvation.

“It was devastating,” she said. “There were about three points at which I cried. That was definitely one of them.”

“I didn’t think I was going to make it,” she said. “I started talking to both my sons, one of whom died when he was a baby, and my other son, who is a young man now. I was talking to all kinds of people that I love, and I was crying the whole time.”

But she was also walking.

Eventually, Barnaby got to a muskeg, or marsh, with a stream running through it. She filled her beer can again and again.

“That water was amazingly delicious,” she said. “It didn’t look great, but it sure tasted better [than the lake water]. It was so pure and so delicious and so cold.”

It took her an hour to cross the marshland. At the other side, there was a wall of willows “so thick I literally had to untangle them.

“When I broke through those willows, I knew I was close.”

After the willows, the forest opened up again. She could tell from the recent burn that she was nearing the highway again.

At 8 a.m., 16 hours after encountering the wolf and four hours after escaping the bears, Barnaby felt pavement beneath her weary feet.

Less than a mile up the road, she could see Royal Canadian Mounted Police cars. She waved at them but they were busy searching in the other direction.

“I came up behind them,” she said with a laugh. “I surprised them.”

Mounties gave her food and water, but they didn’t have what she was craving most.

“They didn’t have any mosquito spray in that damn truck,” she said. “That’s what I was dying for.”

Barnaby said she was so “pumped up on adrenaline” that she made one final mistake. She turned down a ride back to her house, opting to drive herself instead.

“I just about passed out on the highway from exhaustion,” she said.

She made it, however, pulling into her drive to find Caudron waiting for her.

“I thought you were dead,” Caudron yelled as she hugged her friend.

“It was the biggest hug, the biggest cry I had ever had,” Caudron told The Post later.

Caudron seconded her friend’s story. Although she never saw the wolf, she recounted hours of searching for her friend. At one point, she saw a shape coming toward her on the highway, but it turned out to be a pair of buffalo. “I took a couple of photos,” she said.
    Joanne Barnaby (Courtesy of Joanne Barnaby) Joanne Barnaby (Courtesy of Joanne Barnaby)

Barnaby posted her remarkable survival story to Facebook on Tuesday, along with a photo showing her covered in dirt, blood and poplar powder.

“In the hopes that by posting this, I can reduce how many times I will have to tell this story,” her post began.

More than 150 friends and family members commented on it, praising the survival skills and smart thinking that kept her alive. Some even offered jokes.

“Morel mushrooms $5/lb,” one friend wrote. “Your incredible brave dog Joey priceless.”

Her story was also picked up by CBC, which ran an interview with Barnaby on Wednesday.

Some readers questioned her story, however, finding its confluence of wild animals too much to believe.

“The boy who cried wolf is an old parable, but the only morel to this story, is that it comes from the same stuff the mushrooms were growing out of,” one reader wrote.

“This story is more fiction than real,” wrote another. “You have a greater chance of turning into a werewolf under a full moon than you do of being attacked by a wolf.”

But both Barnaby and Caudron insist it really happened.

“We should have planned it out a little better. A lot of things went wrong. But at the end of the day, she did a lot of things right. And that’s why she is here,” Caudron said, adding that she didn’t pay attention to the “few naysayers here and there.”

Barnaby said she had also given her account to the Mounties.

“I saw them on the highway and I basically told them what happened,” she said. “They didn’t even take an official statement. They didn’t ask me many questions.”

A RCMP spokesperson confirmed to The Post that Barnaby was, indeed, “missing in Wood Buffalo National Park.”

“We can confirm that the RCMP participated in the search,” the spokesperson said in an email. “One RCMP member was on scene when she was located.”

Barnaby didn’t seem bothered by doubts about her incredible account. She said she went looking for morels, not celebrity. Although she did admit that “the whole situation with the wolf is pretty bizarre. I’ve never heard anything like that.”

Meanwhile, many of the people trying to pick holes in her story don’t have a clue what life is like in the Northern Territories.

“I’ve lived in the north all my life and I’ve spent a lot of time on the land,” she said to a reporter in Washington.

“We interact with the natural world more often than you do down there.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/17/a-starving-wolf-stalked-a-woman-and-her-dog-for-12-hours-then-along-came-a-bear/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sorry but I don't buy the stalked by a starving wolf story, the bears I'd be **** scared of but wolf attacks are very rare and afaik nearly always related to single wolves that have become used to humans due for example to them being fed by villagers.

A wolf might follow you to check if you drop down dead but I really wouldn't expect one to attack.

Nice to see officialdom being put in its place and the little guy being left alone.
    Community group, Rhiw Las, have won their planning appeal to build four low-impact smallholdings, where they will grow their own food, create their own energy, and develop their own ecological businesses. It is all part of Wales' 'One Planet Development' project.

A 'one planet' development for four families in Carmarthenshire has been granted (29 June 2016) planning permission upon appeal. Carmarthenshire Council was ruled to have "acted unreasonably in refusing planning permission", and been ordered to pay the families' appeal costs.

The development is called Rhiw Las, a group of four low-impact smallholdings in Carmarthenshire between Llanboidy and Whitland. It had originally sought planning permission in November 2014 under the 'One Planet Development planning principle. This was refused by Carmarthenshire Council’s Planning Committee – against the planning officer’s recommendation of approval.

That decision has now been overturned at appeal and planning permission has been granted for the development to go ahead.

The Inspector said: "Some parties have questioned the ability of a land area of around 21.5 acres to support and meet the essential needs of four households and the associated land based activities from which income would be derived. However, land-based OPD is very different to a typical modern lifestyle or standard agricultural practice. I am satisfied that the initial five year management plan satisfies the requirements of land based OPD in the countryside and is supported by robust financial appraisals of projected income and expenditure."

The four families – which include six children – can now build their homes and live on the land. These will be four modest ecologically sustainable houses that will be 'zero carbon' in construction and use.

Erica Thompson, one of the applicants, said: "We are absolutely delighted at the decision. Our lives have been on hold for the last year. We always knew we had a good case, and that the refusal was unfair. The project has a huge amount of local support. Now we have been vindicated and we can get on with building our dream."

The families' dream involves running sustainable land-based small businesses, such as a vegetable box scheme, selling their orchard produce, beekeeping, a micro-dairy, making traditional Celtic instruments and hosting Forest School sessions.

They will have to grow a sizeable proportion of their own food on site, install renewable energy supplies and manage their woodland sustainably to supply firewood and construction timber.

Perhaps the most challenging part of satisfying the planning rules will be to reduce their consumption – measured by an online 'ecological footprint calculator' anyone can use, that was developed for the Welsh government – to less than “One Planet”. This in line with Wales’ ambition to become a One Planet Nation within a generation.

One Planet Development is a forward-thinking Welsh planning policy that provides a genuinely affordable and sustainable way for families to set up life and work in rural areas. Buildings must be made from local, natural materials and be ‘zero carbon’ in construction and use. Households must produce some of their own food and all of their own energy needs, and must establish land-based businesses.

One Planet Development is measured by Ecological Footprinting and monitored by annual reports that also include biodiversity and community impacts. Rhiw Las is the second 'one planet' development to be granted planning permission in Carmarthenshire.

For information visit the One Planet Council website: www.oneplanetcouncil.org.uk
    http://www.permaculture.co.uk/news/planning-appeal-success-sustainable-community

http://www.globalchallenges.org/reports/Global-Catastrophic-Risk-Annual-Report-2016.pdf

A nice bit of bedtime reading, Global Catastrophic Risks 2016

The Mirror newspaper in Britain has the following article about panic buying after Brexit.
    Anxious Brits stock up on survival kits and stab vests as sales sore amidst Brexit panic

Experts say they've seen a boom in sales since the vote to leave the European Union last month

Worried families are rushing to stock up on survival kits following the Brexit vote - arming themselves with stab vests and emergency rations.

People began panic buying over fears of terror attacks from Islamic State or even World War Three after Britain voted to leave the European Union.

Justin Jones, a security and close protection expert who owns Military and Outdoor Ltd in Cambridge, said he's has seen a boom in sales.

Mr Jones said: "Before the EU vote we were getting one or two sales of survival kits but now it is dozens a day and we are getting a lot of sales of stab vests.

"The recent vote to leave the European Union has seen a surge in demand by people worried due to the increase in tensions by the Remain voters' demonstrations and the mentioning of war by David Cameron in the run up to the referendum, we have seen a spike in sales of body armour, emergency rations as well as survival kits above the usual. "

"People say it was because David Cameron was saying that World War Three was going to happen," he continued.

"That sort of thing sticks in people's minds. There is also the increased fear of terrorism as well and I think that has driven sales.

"We sell SAS survival kits which have been really popular as well as tents. We usually get an increase in tent sales at this time of year but this has been an unusual increase."

His store offers a vast range of survival and combat kit including water purifiers, fire starters, crossbows, food rations, medical kits, bushcraft, and body armour.

Mr Cameron pleaded for Britain to stay in the EU to help prevent the Continent being ripped apart by another conflict.

He was attacked hours later by Brexit -backing Boris Johnson, who said: "No, I don't believe that leaving the EU would cause World War Three."

But Lincoln Miles, of St Neots, Cambridgeshire, who owns Preppershop saw a massive 35 per cent surge in the sales of survival gear starting the morning after the referendum.

He said: "I stayed up all night watching the vote and I wondered if it would make a difference and by 10am I was starting to see loads of orders coming in and in the first week sales of survival kits and equipment went up by 35 per cent.

"We saw an increase in sales across the board such as water purifiers and emergency food rations."

But Labour MP for Cambridge Daniel Zeicher has said there is no need to panic.

He said: "While many of us are disappointed about the outcome, it is important to reassure people about the immediate impact.

"Telling people not to panic is a bit like the old Dad's Army joke, and would give genuine cause for concern.

"So my advice is, yes be cross, yes be disappointed, yes protest, but no need to stock up on baked beans."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/anxious-brits-stock-up-survival-8405990

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

anyone see the panorama doc on sellafield nuclear site during week
    Sellafield is a secret world. It is protected, and its borders are patrolled. Its workers are forbidden from talking about life on the site.

To get the real story of Sellafield, you need an insider. For us, it was Neptune - a whistle-blower whose identity we are protecting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37258874

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Sam Dazzling Numerology

'Sellafield accident would not cause an evacuation in Ireland - EPA study'

Something about this report doesn't add up. One on hand it says there is no likely great impact, but yet also mentions '"eating contaminated foods could be over 370,000 μSv, with a noticeable increase in cancers for decades to come'.

There is even mention of the effects of an 'meteorite impact' on the plant 'during the month of May'. Lets face it if a large space rock touches down, that would something else more immediate to worry about. A tsunami (via canaries) would be far more likely than a space rock direct hit on Cumbria.

In summary, it sounds like 'how long is a piece of string' (factored by which direction the wind is blowing). Economic costs somewhere between €4bn and €161bn. One thing is for sure if there is an accident, the house prices will be down - for many decades.

Recent reports (largely ignored by the media) of a radiation spike recorded across Europe.
    US radiation detection plane airborne over Barents Sea

The US Air Force aircraft took off this week in the direction of the Barents Sea in the Arctic Circle north of Russia, publication The Aviationist reports.

It was deployed toRAF Mildenhall in East Anglia last week after the radioactive spike of unknown origin was detected, and is currently flying outside Norwegian airspace.

The emission of radioactive particles, news of which authorities had kept undisclosed, was first detected in Northern Norway’s Finnmark County in the second week in January.

The Barents Observer also reports that it was Finland and France that first went public with the information.

Norwegian authorities did not deem the matter as being newsworthy as the levels did not raise any health concerns.

“We do measure small amounts of radioactivity in air from time to time because we have very sensitive measuring equipment. The measurements at Svanhovd in January were very, very low. So were the measurements made in neighbouring countries, like Finland,” says Astrid Liland, head of section for emergency preparedness at the Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority (NRPA).
    Not a health hazard

“The levels raise no concern for humans or the environment. Therefore, we believe this had no news value,” she also tells the publication.

ParticulateIodinemap-large.jpg

On their website, the NRPA writes that levels recorded were “half a microbecquerel per cubic metre of air (0.0000005 Bq per cubic meter of air),” which are “tiny, barely-measurable values”.

These include providing people with iodine tablets, which prevent radioactive iodine being absorbed into the thyroid gland. They would be given out in the event of a serious nuclear power plant accident, for example.

French public authority the IRSN (L'Institut de Radioprotection et de Sûreté Nucléaire) stated that the detected tiny amounts of Iodine-131in the ground-level atmosphere were also found in Poland, the Czech Republic, Germany, and Spain.

“The detection of this radionuclide is proof of a rather recent release,” officials say in a statement, also underlining that the levels detected “raise no health concerns”.

Norway’s Radiation Protection Authority states that that winds in Europe did not allow direct pinpointing of the source of the emission.

Moreover, Iodine-131, a man-made radioactive material used in atomic bombs and for treating certain cancers, has a half-life of eight days.

“We assume that it came from a company which produces radiopharmaceuticals containing radioactive iodine, as no other radioactive substances were measured [as being present] in the filters.”
    Not the first time

January’s Iodine-131 (I-131) emission is not the first time low levels have been measured in Norway. The NRPA reports on radioactivity found in the environment every year.

2011 saw I-131 and other nuclides being detected following the Fukushima disaster. Traces of it were also found later the same year, with the source being traced to a pharmaceutical company in Hungary.

I-131 was detected in January 2013, though the source is unknown. Later that year, Norway and other countries found traces of Caesium-137 (Cs-137), which was attributed mainly to fallout from the Chernobyl catastrophe in 1986.

Another source was found to be fallout due to atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons at Russia’s Novaya Zemlya in the 1950s and ‘60s.

Iodine-131 (and Cs-137 due to Chernobyl) was detected twice in 2015, in March and May. The NRPA says that their sources are unknown.

The autumn of 2016 saw one incident of detection in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia.

Its source is also unknown, but both Norwegian and Finnish radiation protection authorities’ have calculated that air masses came from the East.

“Both the timing and wind direction indicate that the iodine’s origin probably lies in Eastern Europe,” state NRPA officials, who also point out that this has no connection with the incident at the IFE’s (Institute for Energy Technology) research reactor in Halden, eastern Norway.
    Leak

On 24th October, 2016, small amounts of radioactive iodine (I-131 and I-132) were released into the environment during an incident while test fuel was being handled in the reactor hall.

The IFE said that none of the workers, who immediately left the reactor hall when the alarm sounded, was found to have received any significant dose of radiation.

This type of plane was also used to track radiation activity as it happened at Chernobyl. The one flying now is not involved in detecting anything nuclear regarding Russia.

A US Air Force spokesperson has told website military.com that the aircraft is on a “pre-planned rotational deployment scheduled in advance.”

“The WC-135 routinely conducts worldwide missions and we are not going to get into further details,” they declared.
    http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/us-radiation-detection-plane-airborne-over-barents-sea/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+The-Foreigner+%28The+Foreigner+%2F+Norwegian+News+in+English%29&utm_content=FeedBurner+user+view

Recent reports (largely ignored by the media) of a radiation spike recorded across Europe.

A curious one alright, the local media may be ignoring it as not affecting the NW Eurozone and there is no explanations so far to report on.

Interestingly there was a load of that 131/137 type stuff found in a couple of large craters up on the red planet. Generally these are man-made, so perhaps there was a bit of argy bargy on Mars, many eons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A curious one alright, the local media may be ignoring it as not affecting the NW Eurozone and there is no explanations so far to report on.

Interestingly there was a load of that 131/137 type stuff found in a couple of large craters up on the red planet. Generally these are man-made, so perhaps there was a bit of argy bargy on Mars, many eons ago.

Is this a conspiracy theory?

Not your ornery onager

Hard to say without visiting the place, but is a theory proposed in 2014 by plasma physicist Dr J Brandenburg.

There are apparently isotope signatures on yonder Cydonia Mensa and Galaxias Chaos. Attributed to fast neutron airbursts, which that resemble hydrogen tests in Nevada. Estimates it was around 1bn mt that turned large parts of Mars in to glass, but without signs of large craters that would be expected from asteroid impacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

aparently yes http://podcast.sjrdesign.net/shownotes_086.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

surprised this is so quiet at the moment.

Have been referring to this site quite a bit lately.

http://38north.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

surprised this is so quiet at the moment.

You mean the forum? I'm surprised too. I think the coming showdown between trump and kim is a lot more serious than people realise. A very serious war is imo on the horizon. The world economy remains weak. There are already a lot of tensions between the major powers. The dooms day clock is 2.5 minutes to midnight. I am preparing for the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Jenna Pitiful Maggot

I imagine the forum is quiet due to the season? Should start to pick up again soon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

http://news.sky.com/story/alert-over-unknown-chemical-haze-on-sussex-coast-11009304
    People are being warned to avoid beaches and keep doors and windows shut after an "unknown haze" drifted in off the Sussex coast.

The second time this year a "mysterious" spike has been detected in western Europe.
    German officials say that a spike in radioactivity has been detected in the air in Western and Central Europe but there's no threat to human health.

The Federal Office for Radiation Protection said Thursday that elevated levels of the isotope Ruthenium-106 have been reported in Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland and France since Sept. 29.

Spokesman Jan Henrik Lauer told The Associated Press the source of the Ruthenium-106 isn't known but calculations indicate it may have been released in eastern Europe.

Ruthenium-106 is used for radiation therapy to treat eye tumors, and sometimes as a source of energy to power satellites.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/spike-airborne-radioactivity-detected-europe-50298850

North Korea now has a ICBM capable of hitting anywhere in the mainland USA and, potentially even more devastating, an EMP capable device that would paralyse a significant portion of the USA for years. US preppers upping their stocks and getting ready for the worst case scenario.
    North Korea says new missile puts all of US in striking range
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42162462

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

North Korea now has a ICBM capable of hitting anywhere in the mainland USA and, potentially even more devastating, an EMP capable device that would paralyse a significant portion of the USA for years. US preppers upping their stocks and getting ready for the worst case scenario.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42162462

Good old EMP, its been dissed before as being a very unlikely scenario but the more we become reliant on electronics for everything the more likely it becomes.

You won't be controlling you home from your phone after an EMP attack.

I wonder how badly banks would be affected?

Advertisement