Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Emissions Discussion [Split Post]

Options
  • 14-04-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭

Aye. And efficiency by itself is not important at all. After all charging in Ireland is free or at worst very cheap (night rates). The only reason it's good thing is that it helps the range so a cheap car like an Ioniq can go 200-300km today. In a few years time a crossover brick SUV / MPV will cost about the same and will go even further because of its 60kWh battery :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

unkel wrote: »
    Aye. And efficiency by itself is not important at all. After all charging in Ireland is free or at worst very cheap (night rates). The only reason it's good thing is that it helps the range so a cheap car like an Ioniq can go 200-300km today. In a few years time a crossover brick SUV / MPV will cost about the same and will go even further because of its 60kWh battery :D

OK we got it....you don't care about efficiency and you drive fast. Give over about for a while will ya.

It's so disappointing that electric car drivers only care about their pocket don't seem to give a care about that amount of mostly very polluting energy they are using and aren't interested in environment at all.

That dashboard for eirgrid even seems to have pulled the co2 figures. But the way we generate power in Ireland electric cars aren't clean, so yep efficiency still matters.

kceire wrote: »
    That's fantastic.
    If I'm honest I thought my Leaf would have been more efficient in the city.
    I currently 99.9% city driving and I average 18kw/100km.

I had it down to 17 on a Dublin-Cavan trip.
    Now I don't fly around the place but I don't drive it like miss daisy either.

That's weird, the last week or so I'm averaging 12-13 Kwh/100 kms at faster than city speeds.

It's very simple. Ioniq is a 200km motorway (100km/h) or 300km city / mixed driving car. Less obviously on the handful of cold days we have in winter. But even Nyland got nearly 200km out of it in the middle of winter in Norway (-7C). I do have regen at 2 though, I get the impression that makes the car very efficient. 3 is too aggressive for me and 2 is too aggressive on motorways, so then I switch it to 1 (for those unfamiliar, it goes from 0 to 3 with 0 being no regen at all)

Handful of cold days ? well at 10 Deg C, wet roads and 110 Kph I wouldn't have been able to achieve more than 180 Kms max over 207 Kms and the last 80 or so kms would have been maybe 3 degrees warmer and dry roads and 100 Kph max speeds. Perhaps at 100 Kph I could have hit a lot closer to 200 Kms.

In Ireland it gets below 0 a lot more than you might think, even if it is only for a few hrs that's mainly the morning commute and we also get a lot of wind and rain.

We need a lot more ev makes and models, and efficiency is going to be better and worse for each model, I'd like a larger EV preferably an estate. This isn't going to be as efficient but what do I care ? I don't really, electricity is too cheap to care and as long as I have the range to meet all my driving with the occasional fast charge I'm happy.

For me a larger more expensive battery in a larger less efficient EV is worth a lot more than saving a few cent or getting 20-30 Km more range.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Exactly. Choice is very poor at the moment.
    In Ireland it gets below 0 a lot more than you might think

I don't know about that. Just thinking how many mornings do I actually have to scrape the ice off the windows? Maybe 5 days per year? But that's in Dublin, close enough to the sea (a bit over 10km as the crow flies) and at sea level. Could be very different in other places of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

650Ginge wrote: »
    OK we got it....you don't care about efficiency and you drive fast. Give over about for a while will ya.

It's so disappointing that electric car drivers only care about their pocket don't seem to give a care about that amount of mostly very polluting energy they are using and aren't interested in environment at all.

So what do you drive, Mr Hippy? :rolleyes:

And how do you heat your water?

So what do you drive, Mr Hippy? :rolleyes:

And how do you heat your water?

Oh, I am a complete hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, it isn't the fault of EV drivers that Denis Naughton, the same as other Ministers before him, won't get the finger out.

Fines of €600M beckon in 2020.

Sure the tax payer will just silently pay it , why introduce measures that might get people annoyed that they have to pay more, for instance, the Government can easily, silently pay out fines rather than increase Diesel motor tax by 300 Euro's for instance or increase ICE VRT by 30% etc etc or put an extra 50 C/litre on Diesel, all these things will get the public screaming and the Government don't want to deal with the reality of it all both the emissions problems and the public.

What's the betting the all Island smokey coal ban won't come into effect in 2018 like planned either........

Water John wrote: »
    Well, it isn't the fault of EV drivers that Denis Naughton, the same as other Ministers before him, won't get the finger out.

Fines of €600M beckon in 2020.

Time to take a bit of responsibility for what we can do as an individual and not just kick the can to someone else.

My choice of car isn't ideal but using the data on fuelly and spritmonitor I'm in the top 9% for economy. And my last tank was a best tank so hopefully I'll move up that list.

When I get an EV I hope I can manage the same with it.

Just on that getting an EV. Looking on donedeal the demo Ioniqs are more expensive that the new Ioniqs? 😕

• Advertisement

Sure the tax payer will just silently pay it , why introduce measures that might get people annoyed that they have to pay more, for instance, the Government can easily, silently pay out fines rather than increase Diesel motor tax by 300 Euro's for instance or increase ICE VRT by 30% etc etc or put an extra 50 C/litre on Diesel, all these things will get the public screaming and the Government don't want to deal with the reality of it all both the emissions problems and the public.

What's the betting the all Island smokey coal ban won't come into effect in 2018 like planned either........

We got people converted to diesel by incentives. I would think it much fairer if we do the same to get them out of diesels.

Why hit some poor joe for doing what he was encouraged to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

We got people converted to diesel by incentives. I would think it much fairer if we do the same to get them out of diesels.

It should be incentive enough to stop poisoning everyone with dirty diesel fumes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's weird, the last week or so I'm averaging 12-13 Kwh/100 kms at faster than city speeds.

Not sure if it's my driving style, tyre choice or the fact my brakes were possibly sticking a bit or a combination of all 3.

goz83 wrote: »
    It should be incentive enough to stop poisoning everyone with dirty diesel fumes.

Get real no one gives monkies about that....
    This just went full circle.....
    because if electric car drivers did they would care about reducing the emmissons they generate via power stations.
    Power stations that are so dirty we get hit for €100millions of fines from the EU....destroy large areas of bog......we import the coal we use on cago ships....the largest 15 cargo ships in the world create more pollution than all the cars in the world.....

So you have no moral high ground on deadly emissions because you went EV....not yet in this country.

Electric car drivers in the main like everyone else just care how much money they save and boasting that they don't hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

because if electric car drivers did they would care about reducing the emmissons they generate via power stations.
    Power stations that are so dirty we get hit for €100millions of fines from the EU....destroy large areas of bog......we import the coal we use on cago ships....the largest 15 cargo ships in the world create more pollution than all the cars in the world.....

So you have no moral high ground on deadly emissions because you went EV....not yet in this country.

Electric car drivers in the main like everyone else just care how much money they save and boasting that they don't hanging around.

Is it not possible that EVs charged at night can use wind power that otherwise has no use?

Bif wrote: »
    Is it not possible that EVs charged at night can use wind power that otherwise has no use?

Yes I would imagine so. But wind generation rates are still very low seem to average under 20% on the eirgrid dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Yes I would imagine so. But wind generation rates are still very low seem to average under 20% on the eirgrid dashboard.
    I imagine there is a lot more than 20% at night. Over 3000 mw of wind capacity on the system as well as hydro if running. If organised right it could work very well. Houses running on pv panels may also be used to charge cars in the future I imagine. It's heading in the right direction but needs massive support.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Well then that's at least 20% better than diesels (and not even getting into the pollution created from oil refinaries etc. or the fact that 60%+ of our electricity is generated by gas) so EV drivers in this country do have the moral highground on emissions over diesels :p

Yes we did, they made diesels a lot cheaper to own and run, turning it the other way would cause major uproar in Ireland.

First of all the major problem is lack of choice, not everyone wants a 120-180 Km range EV or can even afford one.

Not everyone wants a Leaf or Zoe. The Ioniq is restricted in it's production and the E-golf is priced so it's more attractive for people to buy TDI's.

The I3 looks weird and is pretty expensive.

Make petrols a lot cheaper and diesel sales will drop like a stone and it would help solve a lot of the diesel related pollution, the real pollution but it won't solve the Co2 problem if you want to call it that lol.

Sadly the Government lack the will power and brains to do anything about it.

On some days/nights wind accounts for up to 60% on the grid and electrics charging can take full advantage, storage heaters etc.

The Grid can take 60% renewable max, next year 65%. The problem is there is no Solar PV on the Grid because we got to much wind energy at peak times and the wind doesn't blow enough to generate 60% 24x7 ,the grid can't take it and we couldn't export it because the capacity of the interconnector to the U.K wouldn't take it.

We need a prober balance of wind and solar PV that balance isn't there because someone somewhere deemed it a good idea to support wind energy only or some idiot probably thought Solar PV isn't suitable for Ireland. Well it is and it's proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

650Ginge wrote:
    Get real no one gives monkies about that.... This just went full circle..... because if electric car drivers did they would care about reducing the emmissons they generate via power stations. Power stations that are so dirty we get hit for €100millions of fines from the EU....destroy large areas of bog......we import the coal we use on cago ships....the largest 15 cargo ships in the world create more pollution than all the cars in the world.....

So how do the bloody oil/diesel/petrol gets transported around the world?!? Same cargo ships? The amount of tankers that have sunk over the time and destroyed the natural life in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

peposhi wrote: »
    So how do the bloody oil/diesel/petrol gets transported around the world?!? Same cargo ships? The amount of tankers that have sunk over the time and destroyed the natural life in the area...

Not just that, but the amount of electricity needed to refine a litre of petrol or diesel (which would get you about 15 km) is about the same needed to power an EV for about 7 km. So by not burning a litre of diesel, you're also cutting out the emissions required to produce 7 km of electricity (whatever the hell that would be in kw/h).

BTW, my source for that is a video on YouTube in the Fully Charged series.

Well then that's at least 20% better than diesels (and not even getting into the pollution created from oil refinaries etc. or the fact that 60%+ of our electricity is generated by gas) so EV drivers in this country do have the moral highground on emissions over diesels :p

Even with that 20% wind EV's are still bigger polluters than petrols/diesels.

If you take a look at the maths you will unfortunately find that it is true. I am happy to be proved wrong here.

Private transportation is a bit of a fall guy for pollution but it only makes up 17% of world pollution, farming makes up a high percentage for instance.

I was totally surprised and shocked when I worked out what the pollution emitted from EV's via power stations was. It doesn't have to be that way and in countries like Norway it isn't. The Ioniq efficiency is a big step forward, when I see people getting 10.9kWh for 100kms compares to the Model S which seems to struggle to get below 30kWh for 100kms.

Makes it worse to see that the electric car owners think that because it is cheap that they will drive more and less efficiently, more kilometres driven, more pollution. More kilometres driven more traffic.

Some experts predict that because the electric car usage is so cheap and at the fore front of autonomous driving that they will make congestion considerably worse. At least short term until cars start to talk to each other.

I hope in the future(and I mean well into the future) that there will only be electric cars, but no private ownership.

Most cars spend most of there time not being used, cars will be pooled and you simple call one using an UBER style app and it will come get you from a base or because they had been routed nearby on another task and they will take you where you want to go and then go get the next one.

I live 12kms from the nearest town, its a 20,000 person town. I reckon the number of cars it would take to service that town would be quite small maybe 50 in total, resulting in minimal waiting times given the right software running it.

Ah just a dream probably. We are stubborn and selfish us humans, then there is the corporate interest to get past that keeps thinking up new ways to sell us more of everything.

Now back to you guys that actually own Ioniqs, apologies for ranting on your thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The majority of people in both Paris and London now favour, because of pollution, a ban on diesels in their cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Electricity doesn't need fossil fuel. Our grid might have a heavy dependence of fossil fuels, but we also burn alot of Gas to produce electricity, which is quite clean in comparison. Lets not forget that our renewable sources are increasing each year, mainly wind.

Now, maybe i'm just ignorant, but you'll have to explain how an EV is more polluting than a Diesel car (mile for mile). To keep the thread somewhat on topic, you can even use the Ioniq as the example and compare to a Diesel. or Petrol car. I think it's already been pointed out that electricity is used to refine petrol/diesel.

Give me minute....the popcorn is nearly ready.

An ICE would drive about 24 Kms on the available power of a 24 Kwh Leaf. And that's before the Petrol and diesel has been refined and transported from God knows where.

peposhi wrote: »

What are getting so angry about?

I'm not saying diesels or petrol are good....they aren't but electricity generation in this country isn't clean either. If it was the EU wouldn't fining us.

It's a lot cleaner than diesel, the EU are fining us for Co2 emissions not pollution, there is a massive, massive difference , Co2 isn't harmful to Humans or the environment and one reason Diesel was banned in most U.S state for decades. !!!

Diesel was promoted in the E.U for it's lower Co2 despite the dangers of diesel exhaust being well known the Governments were fooled into thinking the DPF was the solution, what fools !!!

goz83 wrote: »
    Electricity doesn't need fossil fuel. Our grid might have a heavy dependence of fossil fuels, but we also burn alot of Gas to produce electricity, which is quite clean in comparison. Lets not forget that our renewable sources are increasing each year, mainly wind.

Now, maybe i'm just ignorant, but you'll have to explain how an EV is more polluting than a Diesel car (mile for mile). To keep the thread somewhat on topic, you can even use the Ioniq as the example and compare to a Diesel. or Petrol car. I think it's already been pointed out that electricity is used to refine petrol/diesel.

Give me minute....the popcorn is nearly ready.

Theres no data for all the toxins that power stations pump out so just have to go with co2.

Ireland electricty production pumps out on average 500g co2/kW. 17kwh/100km gives you about 85g co2/km. Which is very good, but not zero.

If you do popcorn on gas keep an eye on it....it cooks really quickly. ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's a lot cleaner than diesel, the EU are fining us for Co2 emissions not pollution, there is a massive, massive difference , Co2 isn't harmful to Humans or the environment and one reason Diesel was banned in most U.S state for decades. !!!

Diesel was promoted in the E.U for it's lower Co2 despite the dangers of diesel exhaust being well known the Governments were fooled into thinking the DPF was the solution, what fools !!!

No you are all wrong adblue fixes everything...... Not.

I work around Dublin and find the fumes off some large vehicles cause breathing issues if sucking in the fumes spewed out.

Advertisement