Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone remind me - isn't spitting at someone considered assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Taxi man coming home this evening. I was indicating right to overtake a slower cyclist in front of me - we'd just moved off from a junction. But no, Mr Taxi Man's journey is more important than mine. So he proceeds to speed up and keep overtaking me, beeping furiously as he passed me into oncoming traffic, who had to brake. They're now beeping as well. A completely pointless manoeuvre.

When I caught up with him at the lights, a few hundred meters away, I reminded him that an arm signal is the same as those orange flashing lights on a car and denotes intention to change direction to other road users. He looked puzzled. Maybe he missed taxi school the day this was being explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Taxi man coming home this evening. I was indicating right to overtake a slower cyclist in front of me - we'd just moved off from a junction. But no, Mr Taxi Man's journey is more important than mine. So he proceeds to speed up and keep overtaking me, beeping furiously as he passed me into oncoming traffic, who had to brake. They're now beeping as well. A completely pointless manoeuvre.

When I caught up with him at the lights, a few hundred meters away, I reminded him that an arm signal is the same as those orange flashing lights on a car and denotes intention to change direction to other road users. He looked puzzled. Maybe he missed taxi school the day this was being explained.

Indication classes were dropped a number of years ago from the curriculum at taxi school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

A not so near miss over on the dashcam thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103122167&postcount=5888

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

josip wrote: »
    A not so near miss over on the dashcam thread

What's almost as bad is the clown in the N-Plate car had his eye fixed on his far right and completely failed to notice what was directly in front of him! If car 1 didn't crush the bike car 2 would have! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

HE SHOULD OF BEEN IN THE CYCLE LANE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

buffalo wrote: »

Cyclists should pay Road Tax!

...:pac:....:pac:....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Got through to traffic watch this morning eventually. About 2 minutes after hanging up I had someone from Terenure station calling me and asking if I was willing to make a statement about it. She did say "you know if it goes to court you'll have to go" with a slight tone that made me think I'm wasting their time a little. But screw it, I put up with enough sh*t on the roads from careless driving, if this guy wants to stop dead during rush hour at the exit of a massive roundabout just so he can spit at me, then I'll gladly go to court (even though I know it's unlikely to get that far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

the funny thing is that the car giving you more room was technically the one breaking the law, as he put his wheels over a solid white line.

I believe you are allowed to cross a single white line in certain circumstances, like passing slow moving vehicles. It's not safe to pass at "normal" speeds. Double solid white lines is a no no.

Had a close call with a cyclist this morning, I was overtaking him, when he decided to overtake a cyclist in front of him pushing me out towards a car. When I asked him to look before he makes a move his answer was "you need to give me at least a meter". Why is it that some cyclists people you just can't talk to, they are completely blind to their errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Indeed one of the first comments implied that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I think we can all agree what the cyclist's hi vis wasn't hi vis enough and his helmet was barely even helmetty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

I believe you are allowed to cross a single white line in certain circumstances, like passing slow moving vehicles. It's not safe to pass at "normal" speeds. Double solid white lines is a no no.

Had a close call with a cyclist this morning, I was overtaking him, when he decided to overtake a cyclist in front of him pushing me out towards a car. When I asked him to look before he makes a move his answer was "you need to give me at least a meter". Why is it that some cyclists people you just can't talk to, they are completely blind to their errors.

And if you gave him a metre, how much was he going to be able to give the person he was overtaking? Certainly wasn't going to be able to afford them the same courtesy! :confused::confused: What a bloody pleb!

He had a helmet and hi-vis, so all's good:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    He had a helmet and hi-vis, so all's good:rolleyes:

Anyone checked if he was wearing earphones?

Or is that only an issue when in a collision with a HGV?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

amusing one this morning, with a motorist deciding to pull out and overtake me approaching a roundabout, and thankfully realising (thankfully before he had pulled alongside me) that he was heading straight for a traffic island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

amusing one this morning, with a motorist deciding to pull out and overtake me approaching a roundabout, and thankfully realising (thankfully before he had pulled alongside me) that he was heading straight for a traffic island.

Fella did something similar trying to pass me and my kids. Goes for ill advised overtake approaching traffic island. He then swerves wildly to the other side of the road as he realises his mistake. He rounds the traffic island on the wrong side of the road and swerves back before nearly colliding with another island slightly further ahead. The islands are positioned near a bend in the road. What's coming the other way is not visible from the part of the road the man swerved into when avoiding the island. Could have been messy if someone had been coming the other way on this relatively busy road.

As you would expect, we rolled past him stuck in a queue of traffic at the next set of lights around the corner.

What I found extraordinary was the lack of awareness of what was ahead on the road. Not even scanning 20 yards ahead, never mind 100. I really think these kind of drivers must be in a permanent state of shock as things "appear from nowhere" in the road. You even see it with people doing mad accelerating and then screechy braking in heavy traffic as if they imagined that their heavy use of the pedal would evaporate the queues of cars, or traffic lights in front of them.

Be careful though, you'll be blamed if they break their car. I still have a little snigger everytime I pass this spot.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88490012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's a strange way of describing it! :confused:

Apologies for being pedantic but roundabout entry is always described from the users POV - i.e. no matter where you enter, it is always at 6 O'Clock (so you were actually exiting at 3 O'Clock).

LOL, I was picturing the roundabouts orientation based on where I'm sitting at the moment relative to the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

While driving an extremely large vehicle yesterday I had a cyclist pedal faster so he could pass up the inside while I am moving at say around 30km/h and the road design terrible in my view as he was coming up in a broken line cycle lane which I was in as road space too narrow.

He proceeded to bang the side of the vehicle while shouting and continued to pass and then shoots out in front with the fingers and a dirty look.

Now to understand it better I did not pass this guy or on purpose try and block in any way but why would anyone have a fight with a 17ton vehicle???????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

While driving an extremely large vehicle yesterday I had a cyclist pedal faster so he could pass up the inside while I am moving at say around 30km/h and the road design terrible in my view as he was coming up in a broken line cycle lane which I was in as road space too narrow.

He proceeded to bang the side of the vehicle while shouting and continued to pass and then shoots out in front with the fingers and a dirty look.

Now to understand it better I did not pass this guy or on purpose try and block in any way but why would anyone have a fight with a 17ton vehicle???????

Some people would argue with their shadow. I wouldn't over think it!

• Advertisement

Some people would argue with their shadow. I wouldn't over think it!

I know what you mean believe me it happens quite a lot.

I just worry I'll be blamed for killing or seriously injuring one as what they do is beyond crazy.

Darwin award stuff.

I've had cyclists hold on to the rear at speed, cycle into the rear and side.
    Some have got handle bars wedged into side and if weren't looking in mirror they would be under the wheels.
    This thing also cycling up on bends or 90 degree turns also.

There should be more education and policing IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know what you mean believe me it happens quite a lot.

I just worry I'll be blamed for killing or seriously injuring one as what they do is beyond crazy.

Darwin award stuff.

I've had cyclists hold on to the rear at speed, cycle into the rear and side.
    Some have got handle bars wedged into side and if weren't looking in mirror they would be under the wheels.
    This thing also cycling up on bends or 90 degree turns also.

There should be more education and policing IMO.

Get yourself a dashcam, most come with some sort of suction mounts if you move vehicle often. It'll save you from more than just silly cyclists.

(I fear we are getting off topic here...)

He obviously fancied you like mad, and was desperate for you to stop so he could make his play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cycling around NCD last Saturday. A nice clear sunny morning. A horse & rider is approaching me from the opposite direction. A car is also approaching me and its clear to me that the three of us are going to arrive at the same bit of road at the same time, so i begin to slow down. The car driver proceeds to move over onto my side of the road, and proceeds to overtake the Horse. The driver moves right over to the opposite side of the road, so much so, that i have nowhere to go! I have to stop, unclip from my pedals, and step off the road onto the grass ditch!. the driver keeps coming towards me, all while looking directly at the Horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭shootermacg

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Cycling around NCD last Saturday. A nice clear sunny morning. A horse & rider is approaching me from the opposite direction. A car is also approaching me and its clear to me that the three of us are going to arrive at the same bit of road at the same time, so i begin to slow down. The car driver proceeds to move over onto my side of the road, and proceeds to overtake the Horse. The driver moves right over to the opposite side of the road, so much so, that i have nowhere to go! I have to stop, unclip from my pedals, and step off the road onto the grass ditch!. the driver keeps coming towards me, all while looking directly at the Horse!

Pet hate of mine, car drivers in Dublin, think its fine to overtake parked cars etc while traveling towards me at speed, very common around Goatstown, where I live. Simply no concept of a bike as a road user. They don't even slow down.

I've had that happen to me a lot with drivers coming towards me overtaking cyclists on their side. They obviously think they're being very good, bless them, but it doesn't occur that they're about to bolognese a cyclist coming towards them.

In a lot of cases they actually don't even see you as their brain doesn't register a bike same goes for motorbikes.

It is something that needs to be taught and education is key.

What is the usual answer given when a collision occurs is oh I didn't see you.

Cycling around NCD last Saturday. A nice clear sunny morning. A horse & rider is approaching me from the opposite direction.
    my wife knows a couple of people who go horseriding occasionally on the roads around NCD (well, specifically, from thorton park); horse riders seem to have similar complaints to cyclists, except they've the added bonus that their steed has a mind of its own.
    most recently, one of the riders was complaining that she was overtaken by two motorbike riders, one of whom revved the bike hard as (s)he passed, nearly sending the horse into the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

check_six wrote: »
    What I found extraordinary was the lack of awareness of what was ahead on the road. Not even scanning 20 yards ahead, never mind 100.

The lack of scanning ahead of the object in front of you is a skill sorely lacking amongst drivers in this country.

It doesn't take much to look ahead and determine "if I overtake this cyclist will I actually get to my destination faster, or just end up at the next set of traffic lights where they will go in front of me again?"

It's probably my time cycling that has made me think this way and I rarely overtake a cyclist while driving in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

mrcheez wrote: »
    The lack of scanning ahead of the object in front of you is a skill sorely lacking amongst drivers in this country.

It doesn't take much to look ahead and determine "if I overtake this cyclist will I actually get to my destination faster, or just end up at the next set of traffic lights where they will go in front of me again?"

It's probably my time cycling that has made me think this way and I rarely overtake a cyclist while driving in the city.

Likewise. I recently got lifted out of it by a car behind me (whilst driving), because I wouldn't overtake a slow moving cyclist in front of me. I would have had to squuuueeze past him, and I could see a line of stopped traffic at the next lights.
    I really don't understand the anger people carry around with them..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement