Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"You made me break my car"

Options
  • 16-01-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭

Comedy gold on the strawberry beds this morning. For those of you unfamiliar with the area it's a country road that runs parallel to the Liffey. Up to recently it was used as an unofficial motorway, so pretty severe ramps we're put in every couple of hundred meters to slow traffic.

So there I am this morning tippin along at 30 odd km/hr when a woman comes up behind. She over takes me, into oncoming traffic, almost coming into contact with my front wheel when she moves back in. There's a loud bang followed by a rattle for the next couple of hundred yards. She is stopped when I reach her. It is obvious the exhaust has become detached from the underside of her car (the second one I've seen in as many weeks on this stretch). The conversation goes like this.
    "You made me damage my car - you were going too fast and I had to speed up to over take you". Initially flattered by her views on my cycling, I shook my head, told her "sh!t happens" and cycled off on my merry way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That is one dumb ass driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    "... you were going too fast and I had to speed up to over take you".

Love this quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Post of the week :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Her stupidity has given me a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Love it when a car overtakes between speedbumps then maintains speed over the next set to avoid losing face.

Scraaaaaape.

Ironically it's never the lowered-Opel lads who do this, usually someone in a rush to get to the supermarket.

First to the frozen peas! Fistpump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

mickdw wrote: »
    That is one dumb ass driver.

The last exhaust separation I witnessed was at about 7pm a few weeks ago. A Hyundai jeep puts on quite a light show when it's dragging it's exhaust.

Lumen wrote: »
    Love it when a car overtakes between speedbumps then maintains speed over the next set to avoid losing face.

Scraaaaaape.

Ironically it's never the lowered-Opel lads who do this, usually someone in a rush to get to the supermarket.

First to the frozen peas! Fistpump!

It's going to be an expensive bag of peas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well at least she didn't suffer an excessive sense of entitlement...

Well at least she didn't suffer an excessive sense of entitlement...

On another day I might have apologised and cut her a cheque. Was I too insensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

On another day I light have apologised and cut her a cheque. Was I too insensitive?

The fact that she wasn't immediately exploded by a bolt of lightning just proves atheisms case.

(Or at least a tiny lightning bolt to blow up her driving licence)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

"You made me damage my car..."

What an ass-clown.

I hate it when people play the (faux) righteous indignation card and try to pass the buck for their own mistakes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'd advise getting legal advice as of now to know where you stand in case she decides to press charges. Tobh I don't think things look good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Did you give her your details :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You were very restrained in your reply. I would have given her a mouthful to ponder over as she waited for some one to come and assist her stupid ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I go along there some mornings, you get some seriously impatient drivers overtaking there, it's the reason I won't do that route after dark :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I go along there some mornings, you get some seriously impatient drivers overtaking there, it's the reason I won't do that route after dark :-/

I cycle along there in the pitch black - not that many cars after 7pm.
    Not that many of anything except for the ghosts of Strawberry Beds :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote: »

You don't need a lowered car if the driver is "robust" enough, as was the case with a neighbour of mine a few years ago. His Golf GTI packed with himself and 3 equally "robust" friends one day, the car was transformed from a regular car into a road hoe.

He/they overtook me at speed going down the hill in my estate as we approached a particularly (ridiculously, actually) high speed bump. Garden hoes are great for getting under and lifting things, turns out that road hoes behave in exactly the opposite way. There seemed to be a collective intake of breath inside the car immediately after the initial loud impact, that air was probably pushed back out of them when the back of the car hit the other side of the bump. I think the car was held together by sheer embarrassment as the driver tried to flee the scene, a process made much slower than he'd have liked by the two remaining speedbumps between him and the sanctuary of distance. "Again! Again!", I shouted, but they mustn't have heard me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Kinda like counting sheep, in a chuckle-inducing sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I know that road very well, drive it most mornings and have cycled it numerous times..

Fcuk her, she got what she deserves.
    It's narrow enough without some bitch trying to overtake you and kill you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CramCycle wrote: »
    Her stupidity has given me a headache.

Me too but it's because of her blame someone else mentality, she didn't get the OP but she will get some innocent clown at some stage to pay for something that's her fault, she's scum in my eyes. OP, I think you should have allowed her to call the gardaí to come, it would have been worth comedic value.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Would it be inopportune to suggest that this thread deserves a.........

..........bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Me too but it's because of her blame someone else mentality, she didn't get the OP but she will get some innocent clown at some stage to pay for something that's her fault, she's scum in my eyes. OP, I think you should have allowed her to call the gardaí to come, it would have been worth comedic value.

She will probalby kill/injure someone first. The number of times I wished I had a rocket launcher when a ****er of a motorist passes within a hairs breath of me. Whats the fcuking rush ?? The best bit of advice I got was stay out 2-3 feet from verge, that way They can't overtake in oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

not yet wrote: »
    She will probalby kill/injure someone first. The number of times I wished I had a rocket launcher when a ****er of a motorist passes within a hairs breath of me. Whats the fcuking rush ?? The best bit of advice I got was stay out 2-3 feet from verge, that way They can't overtake in oncoming traffic.

this.

every time, and i mean every time ive been tired enough to allow myself to drift toward the verge, ive been punished by dangerous overtakes. grit the teeth and hold position, i should get it decaled on the bars or something

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Think we've all met someone like that, delighted she got a bit of comeuppance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

not yet wrote: »

You just need one of these........

1517477_635965103111729_2021972570_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

Jawgap wrote: »
    You just need one of these........

1517477_635965103111729_2021972570_n.jpg

wtf is that!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Comedy gold on the strawberry beds this morning. For those of you unfamiliar with the area it's a country road that runs parallel to the Liffey. Up to recently it was used as an unofficial motorway, so pretty severe ramps we're put in every couple of hundred meters to slow traffic.

So there I am this morning tippin along at 30 odd km/hr when a woman comes up behind. She over takes me, into oncoming traffic, almost coming into contact with my front wheel when she moves back in. There's a loud bang followed by a rattle for the next couple of hundred yards. She is stopped when I reach her. It is obvious the exhaust has become detached for the underside of her car (the second one I've seen in as many weeks on this stretch). The conversation goes like this.
    "You made me damage my car - you were going too fast and I had to speed up to over take you". Initially flattered by her views on my cycling, I shook my head, told her "sh!t happens" and cycled off on my merry way.

You should have stopped and come to her aid. Shame on you for not turning the other cheek.

The next time it happens, simply just take out your phone. Say to her... "Hang on....".

Go through your phonebook quickly, pause from time to time and in hushed tones whisper: "No, not you." Take about 2 mins to do this.

Put your phone away then and say to her then. "...sorry I was just trying to find someone that gave a ****, sorry!"

Cycle away happy you tried to help... *

*http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

TonyStark wrote: »
    You should have stopped and come to her aid. Shame on you for not turning the other cheek.

The next time it happens, simply just take out your phone. Say to her... "Hang on....".

Go through your phonebook quickly, pause from time to time and in hushed tones whisper: "No, not you." Take about 2 mins to do this.

Put your phone away then and say to her then. "...sorry I was just trying to find someone that gave a ****, sorry!"

Cycle away happy you tried to help... *

*http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#43

What, depart the scene on your tricycle? Unnecessary and puerile.

Just tell it like it is - that it wasn't your fault in any way. That's it. That scenario imagined in your head is usually the guff spouted on here that never happens.

What, depart the scene on your tricycle? Unnecessary and puerile.

Just tell it like it is - that it wasn't your fault in any way. That's it. That scenario imagined in your head is usually the guff spouted on here that never happens.

No, seriously, I was considering offering her my phone to ring someone who gives a sh*t!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭LaughOrDie

pelevin wrote: »
    I'd advise getting legal advice as of now to know where you stand in case she decides to press charges. Tobh I don't think things look good for you.

Is that a joke?

Advertisement