Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

• 29-03-2017 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm not a big fan of his media work but McGinley on Off The Ball was very good this week talking about his first Masters and talking about the course itself. Very interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of his media work but McGinley on Off The Ball was very good this week talking about his first Masters and talking about the course itself. Very interesting.

Yeah he's always good being interviewed. You'd listen to him for hours, Harrington the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yeah he's always good being interviewed. You'd listen to him for hours, Harrington the same.

But funny he drives me nuts when he's commentating.

Interestingly - he was 6 HC when he was 18 years old. Very old and high for an eventual pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

Interestingly - he was 6 HC when he was 18 years old. Very old and high for an eventual pro.

Which sparks the question......

Which multiple major winner did not take up the game until he was in his 20's

hesker wrote: »

OOh a quiz.

Erm without a google and to show my ignorance I'm going to say Ernie Els.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

hesker wrote: »

Nelson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭me89

Just seen that Harrington is commentating for Sky Sports at the masters this year, should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

ForeRight wrote: »
    Nelson

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Was a huge fan of McGinley the player, but I just cannot listen to him on the tele. It'll be very interesting to see how Harrington does on Sky - he's an interesting choice for Sky because he's not the sort to just blather on with inane, inoffensive platitudes... I can see a few nervous moments for Rob Lee et al when Padraig starts telling it like it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

OOh a quiz.

Erm without a google and to show my ignorance I'm going to say Ernie Els.

Ernie Els won the U14 Boys Junior World Golf Championship in 1984 (Phil Mickelson came 2nd).

Good photo of the 2 of them from it online if you google the event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rather than have pages and pages in big event threads just filled with posts not about the actual golf rather peoples opinions on the coverage and commentators this thread is for those posts!

Feel free to have a good moan here or in some cases praise them! Keep it civil and personal abuse will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

ForeRight wrote: »
    Nelson
    Johnny?

Dbu wrote: »
    Johnny?

Mandela

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

woohoo...

I am so glad to watch it on Sky Sports... no Longer do I have to listen to Hazel Irvine...OMG...Drives me mad

And as for Shane O'Donoghue, the Garth Crooks of Golf, Never have I heard anyone ask the most complex long winded questions.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

woohoo...

I am so glad to watch it on Sky Sports... no Longer do I have to listen to Hazel Irvine...OMG...Drives me mad

And as for Shane O'Donoghue, the Garth Crooks of Golf, Never have I heard anyone ask the most complex long winded questions.

But no adds. I love no adds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Johnny?

Byron

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Byron
    Willie?

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Willie?

Wonka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Johnny?

Larry Nelson apparently took up golf at the age of 21, having never played before.

He was on the PGA Tour within 6 years and went on to win 3 Majors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Has Monty been left out of this year's Masters coverage?Prank Monty account on twitter saying so.

Hopefully so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Has Monty been left out of this year's Masters coverage?Prank Monty account on twitter saying so.

Hopefully so.

I'm glad if he is left out. He is not very good at the punditry. Of all the guys who have played the game sure thy can some interesting funny guys with a personality. No offence to Monty but he was none of those things and McGinley is only marginally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

I can never figure out if Butch Harmon is looking at me or looking for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I can never figure out if Butch Harmon is looking at me or looking for me.

thats half the fun with the pirate. Wayne Riley has some of the best one liners in the game. I think him and Rich Beem make it great fun to listen to on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Are Sky Sports trying to make us hate golf a week before the Masters with this boring plank Donaldson??

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Are Sky Sports trying to make us hate golf a week before the Masters with this boring plank Donaldson??

Did you see his double shank? Arkward wasn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Bjorn will be part of the Sky Sports team this week apparently.

Do they feel like they're obligated to have the Ryder Cup captain as a part of their coverage or what? Can't say I'm looking forward to listening to Bjorn!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thomas moan boring Bjorn.

It is torture the coverage of this - every year.

I don't have the bleeding red button.

interesting there,

He said on Sky - " breaks less frequent and 1 minute"

That is great news if true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Bjorn bigging up the Ryder Cup already. Bad enough listening to Mcginley but not this ****head too.

Advertisement