Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The BBC coverage is refreshing.
    Sky were just showing pictures of bushes and leaderboards the last two days interspersed with ads and interviews.
    BBC are showing non stop golf.

And that is why they cant show golf every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NIMAN wrote: »
    Could listen to Alliss all day and night.

"as my mother used to say, his trousers are full of legs"

Watching the British Open a few years ago, some guy hit an indifferent chip. Alliss: "It's like a prospective son-in-law; one's always looking for something better." His American co-commentator was rendered speechless for about 2 minutes...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

People who enjoy the sky pundits.
    May I present to you exhibit A. My eyes are burning a little. :pac: :pac:

https://twitter.com/Darth_Monty/status/983029575373459456?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Could listen to Alliss all day and night.

"as my mother used to say, his trousers are full of legs"

Watching the British Open a few years ago, some guy hit an indifferent chip. Alliss: "It's like a prospective son-in-law; one's always looking for something better." His American co-commentator was rendered speechless for about 2 minutes...:p

The old ones are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gary "I'm great" Player on BBC now if you need to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

PARlance wrote: »

Bloke’s not short on confidence anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PARlance wrote: »

Is he like Johnny Giles?

"so Johnny, what do you think if real Madrid tonight"

"they remind me of the great Leeds team I used to play in"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Is he like Johnny Giles?

"so Johnny, what do you think if real Madrid tonight"

"they remind me of the great Leeds team I used to play in"

Player(age 82) is more likely to say “I should be playing in that Real Madrid team tonight”:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Think McGinley is good. Articulate, sensible, seems to have a good relationship with the players. Certainly wouldn't have any issue with him, I enjoy listening to him.

He knows his limitations as a player, and often refers to it. I wouldn't hold it against the guy for hilighting his strengths either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Player(age 82) is more likely to say “I should be playing in that Real Madrid team tonight”:D

Playing instead of Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

First Up wrote: »
    Don't know how often this has to be explained. CBS cover whats going on around the course and feed it all into the control room. Each broadcaster decides which shots to show and in what sequence. Its standard coverage of a tournament. Only reason its confusing people is because we have a choice of broadcasters so we get to see different coverage.

So again tonight, BBC is about 2 mins behind Sky ( Rory's approach on the 2nd as example) which is annoying as hell if your getting texts or checking Twitter etc.
    If they both have access to CBS feed why would BBC be delayed by that much?

Don't know how often this has to be explained. CBS cover whats going on around the course and feed it all into the control room. Each broadcaster decides which shots to show and in what sequence. Its standard coverage of a tournament. Only reason its confusing people is because we have a choice of broadcasters so we get to see different coverage.

So again tonight, BBC is about 2 mins behind Sky ( Rory's approach on the 2nd as example) which is annoying as hell if your getting texts or checking Twitter etc.
    They are not "two minutes behind". They are taking the shots they want in the order they want. CBS is offering probably 10 - 29 cameras and all broadcasters (including CBS) decide what to use and when.

They are not "two minutes behind". They are taking the shots they want in the order they want. CBS is offering probably 10 - 2O cameras and all broadcasters (including CBS) decide what to use and when.

If you switch between the different broadcasters you are going to see the shots in different sequences. Get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And you will find on some shots they are ahead.
    That's just the way it is, no reason to complain about that.

They are not "two minutes behind". They are taking the shots they want in the order they want. CBS is offering probably 10 - 29 cameras and all broadcasters (including CBS) decide what to use and when.

They are behind. Everyone is watching Rory and Reed. Go to sky sports watch one of their shots and then go back to BBC and you'll see the same shot, this time about a minute behind ( the Rory chip). It's the same on all of their shots I've watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

They are behind. Everyone is watching Rory and Reed. Go to sky sports watch one of their shots and then go back to BBC and you'll see the same shot, this time about a minute behind ( the Rory chip). It's the same on all of their shots I've watched.

They're not. BBC showed Stensons putt first, then Rory's approach.

Sky did the reverse. I was flipping between the two.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    They're not. BBC showed Stensons putt first, then Rory's approach.

Sky did the reverse. I was flipping between the two.

Ok fair enough, for Rory/Reed sky are constantly ahead. About 3 mins on Reed's tee off on the 4th.

Words fail me.

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough, for Rory/Reed sky are constantly ahead. About 3 mins on Reed's tee off on the 4th.

Yea I notice that. Seems odd that the BBC would not keep pace with the coverage of the leaders. Bound to lose viewers over it (Myself included).

Yea I notice that. Seems odd that the BBC would not keep pace with the coverage of the leaders. Bound to lose viewers over it (Myself included).

Why so you can watch the ads on sky?

We'll let you know when Sky shows a shot before the BBC does so you can be furious at someone else.

Ha Ok... Furious might be a bit hyperbolic.

Seve OB wrote:
    Why so you can watch the ads on sky?

Yea that's annoying alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Right. Back to the actual golf

Shocking putt again by Rory.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Right. Back to the actual golf

Shocking putt again by Rory.
    Yes indeed, back to the golf. I'm tired of flicking between channels with my stopwatch at the ready :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Why on earth are we watching Francesco Molinari tee off on 15? (BBC)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why on earth are we watching Francesco Molinari tee off on 15? (BBC)

They are getting there pictures from wither Sky or America TV so not much they can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Could be down to where there getting them from may not be BBC choice

Could be down to where there getting them from may not be BBC choice
    Don't mention the war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dont really care what order the golf is shown in on BBC. The most important thing is that its constant golf! Not commercial breaks every 5 minutes, shots of the flowers and back to the studio to listen to numptys talk about rubbish.

Give my back teeth for constant golf every single week and if it was 2 minutes behind every time I wouldnt give a monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

I really enjoy the BBC coverage. No logos on the screen or text constantly popping up, and of course no ad breaks either. And then there's the soothing voices, particularly the older gentlemen who sounds like he was reared on liquidised Werther's Originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ken 'left to right' Brown. His overuse of this phrase has lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

Who is yer one on BBC talking to Paul azinger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

morphman wrote: »
    Who is yer one on BBC talking to Paul azinger

She's the presenter. ;)

nc6000 wrote:
    She's the presenter.

No **** Sherlock. Found her anyway Eilidh Barbour...

No **** Sherlock. Found her anyway Eilidh Barbour...

I think the other Scottish presenter who usually presents it is in Australia covering the Commonwealth Games.

Just wanted to know who she was as she is very easy on the eye ðŸ˜

Just wanted to know who she was as she is very easy on the eye ðŸ˜

You're in luck, she's now the BBC's golf TV presenter......

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/39428333

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

BBC were excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

BBC v Sky is like reading Joyce compared to reading the celeb gossip section of The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    BBC v Sky is like reading Joyce compared to reading the celeb gossip section of The Sun.

Butch Harmon is the best part of sky's coverage, find Ewan Murray a bore ,theres no one to touch Allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I don't usually have a problem with SKY, but find the constant giggling and supposed jokes between Ewen Murray and Rich Beem that seem to be constantly creeping in are starting to get on my nerves.

I really enjoy the BBC coverage. No logos on the screen or text constantly popping up, and of course no ad breaks either. And then there's the soothing voices, particularly the older gentlemen who sounds like he was reared on liquidised Werther's Originals.

That sounds like something he would say!

It has always been like that but unfortunately Mr Joyce doesn't turn out very often.

You can always turn the sound down - I frequently do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Joyce is a f***er to read. Not to mention no one has read him .

But was class to have BBC. I know I'd have no golf most weeks without Sky. But the format of the guys talking on the chairs is too repetitive (at majors) and a bit too nicey and predictable.

They have gone away from that with a few other ideas on course , on range etc

But if BBC is on offer I'll take it every time - the ads alone , the ads on Sky actually alter your brains comfort and relaxation - a bit like Joyce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Did McGinley really say that Rickie isnt mentally strong after he shot 5 under on the last day of the masters? 4 under for the last 7 also. Seems an absolutely bizarre thing to say under the circumstances.

https://twitter.com/WestwoodLee/status/983116041336352768

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

But if BBC is on offer I'll take it every time - the ads alone , the ads on Sky actually alter your brains comfort and relaxation - a bit like Joyce.
    Yeah, I got fed up with the ads on Sky too. Not just that they interrupt your viewing, but they also mean you miss stuff as it happens. You often see the shots appear on the shot tracker on masters.com before you see them 'live'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

kiers47 wrote: »
    Did McGinley really say that Rickie isnt mentally strong after he shot 5 under on the last day of the masters? 4 under for the last 7 also. Seems an absolutely bizarre thing to say under the circumstances.

https://twitter.com/WestwoodLee/status/983116041336352768

Would have to agree with McGinley that Fowler has a serious mental block, and has proven it many times, if he was in the fianl group no way would he shoot 67, always easier to do it when coming from off the pace, but when he has been out in front he was repeatedly folded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement