Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's exactly why he is suited to the role it that was the best line of the the whole weeks coverage.He actually said some interesting stuff when he was on. He's miles ahead of Montgomerie who was there before him.

Also at least sky have managed to get someone who knows what it takes to win a major to talk about major championships.I always cringe when I see other players names up and then underneath it is says finished 25th in the 2001 Masters as if we're supposed to be impressed by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

He was asked several direct questions about himself and Sergio. What he did was be honest, far better IMO than the usual bland answers that are usually fed back to the viewer. We could do with more commentators that give honest insight into things, instead of the normal sanitised responses sure to offend nobody.

That said, I was delighted Sergio won too. I don't think Harrington will lose too much sleep over it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ziggy wrote:

Expert panellist reveals personal feelings shock.

Harrington was a breath of fresh air and by far the most interesting commentator since Johnny Millar dared to tell it like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Watched on BBC last night , their commentary team was on fire.
    Hazel i felt wasnt into it at all , churning out the lines with little effort at times but no matter , good luck to her.
    PA is hard to beat , really got into it at times and not sure who the american was but he was on form , the entire team was fantastic.
    Really enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

Also at least sky have managed to get someone who knows what it takes to win a major to talk about major championships.I always cringe when I see other players names up and then underneath it is says finished 25th in the 2001 Masters as if we're supposed to be impressed by that.

like Ken Brown: appeared (played?) at the master in 1988

i remember seeing this caption on the bbc, cant remember if it said played or appeared once at the masters.

wiki says his best finishes were T36 in the masters - 6th in the open and he won the Irish open back in 78 beating Seve and John OLeary in a playoff - so he has won something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Watched on BBC last night , their commentary team was on fire.
    Hazel i felt wasnt into it at all , churning out the lines with little effort at times but no matter , good luck to her.
    PA is hard to beat , really got into it at times and not sure who the american was but he was on form , the entire team was fantastic.
    Really enjoyed it :)

The american is also a PA. Paul Azinger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Ken Brown is a legend although they are exploiting him now and the magic has worn off a bit but i can still watch him.
    His imitation of Tiger :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrrwme1uKWU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

On a side note I think its great that we had 2 Irish commentators commentating on 1 of the biggest sporting events of the year.. Sure we're a great little country..

dball wrote:
    i remember seeing this caption on the bbc, cant remember if it said played or appeared once at the masters.

The caption under McGinley was Two Masters Appearances. ( Didn't say if he made the cut.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

When paddy was talking about the golf - the shots, course, technical aspects - he was very very good.

His sort of analysis and story line was poor.

The whole reference to Sergio and himself was face palm. Was a bit of a Monty moment.

Don't get Mcginley for the Masters at all. fair enough 18th and cut.

But overall and not sure - why , but Sky did a great job - the lack of adds was a God send, they have either got the message - or knew BBC is a real option.

As I was watching it all week - I was committed to Sky - didn't see any of BBCs

One great thing is we didn't have to deal with Roe or Dougherty or the wife.
    They will be back in the game for The Open.

• Advertisement

But overall and not sure - why , but Sky did a great job - the lack of adds was a God send, they have either got the message - or knew BBC is a real option.

It wasn't their call. It was a condition imposed when they got the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First Up wrote: »

Was that not only in the contract when they got the open rights.
    4 ads an hour no more than a minute each I believe.

I don't recall them having that stipulation for the masters or th ads being as short last year?

ForeRight wrote:
    I don't recall them having that stipulation for the masters or th ads being as short last year?

Its a condition imposed by the Masters on all broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Its a condition imposed by the Masters on all broadcasters.

Great lads they are so.

Fairly embarrrssing for them all turning up in the same suits though.

It is great - because it was near unwatchable prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Rikand wrote: »
    Hazel Irvine is retiring ?

Thanks Hazel for all your years of service :)

Only from golf, she will do the Snooker etc. Eilidh Barbour is taking over the golf from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I usually love Peter Allis but he was really annoying when talking about Spieth on Sunday evening. He kept repeating he had a horrible swing \ technique but "gets the job done" He must have said it at least three times in a row anytime Spieth was shown, I know he hasnt the purest swing in the game but i mean he's not a 24 handicapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

allybhoy wrote: »
    I usually love Peter Allis but he was really annoying when talking about Spieth on Sunday evening. He kept repeating he had a horrible swing \ technique but "gets the job done" He must have said it at least three times in a row anytime Spieth was shown, I know he hasnt the purest swing in the game but i mean he's not a 24 handicapper.

The man is 86 now. With all due respect to him I don't think he has much to offer in a modern golfing context.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Exactly wrote: »
    The man is 86 now. With all due respect to him I don't think he has much to offer in a modern golfing context.

The man has more golfing knowledge and charisma in the tip of his small finger than any commentator that sky can muster up, the fact that most "sky" viewers don't get or understand his humor, says more about the pedigree of sky viewers than it does about Aliss's credentials.

Long live the legend and death to Sky and it's dull, bland and sterile presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭e.r

Changed to BBC for final two days, Could not endure hearing the words 'special and Augusta national' mentioned every second sentence anymore:)

The man has more golfing knowledge and charisma in the tip of his small finger than any commentator that sky can muster up, the fact that most "sky" viewers don't get or understand his humor, says more about the pedigree of sky viewers than it does about Aliss's credentials.

Long live the legend and death to Sky and it's dull, bland and sterile presentation.

We all know Alliss has lost it a long time ago.

But would agree - the likes of Roe and Nick , have very little to say at all - it is stating the obvious cheeky chappy lad humour.

Butch has got a but repetitive and you feel he has too much on his plate to be there at all, research etc.

The 3 main hosts are good - Livingstone, Lee, Stirk.

Riley and Beem are fairly good.

The pros they get on are not great - McGinely , Monty etc etc.

But without Sky , would we see any golf at all. It is a necessary friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I would agree with the general analysis of the Sky golf team. However, for the Masters Harro was with them and he was a joy to listen to - superior to any golf commentary/analysis I've ever heard and I've been watching/listening to golf a long time. His insights were terrific. I had the choice between BBC and Sky Sports Mix on the Sunday (being on the Virgin platform and not having Sky Sports), and I watched on Sky Sports Mix because of Harro.

Harro was on 2FM last night and he explained the lack of warmth towards Sergio; he said straight out that Sergio had been a bad loser after the Open in 2007!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

ziggy wrote:

That makes me wonder who you do like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Agreed. I dislike the Sky hype machine and I dislike the relentless stats-driven drivel they come out with that somehow loses sight of the joys and frustrations of the game.

Aliss adds colour and a little perspective to proceedings, he isn't afraid to gently take the mickey out of the golfers and Augusta itself and he's humourous about it. I would trade all the statistical analysis in the world for "there'll be some fun in the hotel room tonight" as Sergio walks off the green arm in arm with his girlfriend.

Also worth noting he's old school in the sense that despite the fact that he is an Englishman commentating on an English tv station, you would never get the feeling that he was supporting Rose over Sergio. He's a golfer and golf-man first and foremost.

Agreed. I dislike the Sky hype machine and I dislike the relentless stats-driven drivel they come out with that somehow loses sight of the joys and frustrations of the game.

Aliss adds colour and a little perspective to proceedings, he isn't afraid to gently take the mickey out of the golfers and Augusta itself and he's humourous about it. I would trade all the statistical analysis in the world for "there'll be some fun in the hotel room tonight" as Sergio walks off the green arm in arm with his girlfriend.

Also worth noting he's old school in the sense that despite the fact that he is an Englishman commentating on an English tv station, you would never get the feeling that he was supporting Rose over Sergio. He's a golfer and golf-man first and foremost.

Alliss has been an absolute treasure over the years but all things come to an end. He is definitely showing signs of wear and tear and I hope he bows out gracefully without any major faux pas.

Patww79 wrote: »

Far from wooden - almost too intense. His voice is dreadful but he says more in a couple of sentences than someone like Mark Roe delivers in a whole evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement