Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The budget for the next two Avengers films is being reported to be over $1b they are being filmed back to back.

Making them the two most expensive films ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The budget for the next two Avengers films is being reported to be over $1b they are being filmed back to back.

Yeah apparently Robert Downey Jr. offered to cut his pay down to an even €600m to help reduce the budget.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah apparently Robert Downey Jr. offered to cut his pay down to an even €600m to help reduce the budget.

He's a martyr to his art, that one :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's an insane amount of money. The economy of the blockbuster really has gone a bit overboard; only in Hollywood would the prevailing logic be to overspend on key franchises in some weird "too big to fail" logic. I mean sure, the MCU kinda is & will no doubt make the money back, but even so...

Pity some of that money couldn't be spent on more interesting directors than the flippin' Vanilla Brothers / Russos.

Talk today that Chris Evans is going to hang up Cap's Shield after Infinity War I would also guess RDJ will also finish up then.

Now that's the two main stars of the MCU going.

So should they be replaced or should Cap and Tony be given a rest for a decade or so from the MCU before being rebooted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So should they be replaced or should Cap and Tony be given a rest for a decade or so from the MCU before being rebooted?

I think they've got enough characters on the board to continue without needing to recast or reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bucky to become the next Captain America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Bucky to become the next Captain America.

Whats the Deal with bucky... did he get the super serum too?
    and he has the Adamantium Arm..
    In the comics, I don´t think he had super serum, did he?

Whats the Deal with bucky... did he get the super serum too?
    and he has the Adamantium Arm..
    In the comics, I don´t think he had super serum, did he?

He doesn't have the serum, AFAIR, but the soviets (in the comics) and Hydra (in the MCU) did enhancey things to him.

Michael Pena confirmed he will return for Ant-Man and the Wasp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

IMAX Poster for Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2

17310338_10154101592706157_8119947653103594653_o.jpg?oh=272f34f482e9e0f476a7297581f179d5&oe=595062F5

Chris Evans in an interview today said he is now open to continue playing Cap even after saying last week in Esquire he was more than likely done.

“It’s really not up to me. My contract is up. I’m not going to sit here and say, “No more.” I think Hugh Jackman has made 47 Wolverine movies, and they somehow keep getting better. It’s a character I love, and it’s a factory that really knows what they’re doing. The system is sound, over there. They make great movies. If they weren’t kicking out quality, I’d have a different opinion. But, everything Marvel does seems to be cinema gold. And like I said, I love the character. The only reason it would end is ‘cause my contract is up. After Avengers 4, my contract is done. Talk to Marvel. If we engage further, I’d be open to it. I love the character. It’s almost like high school. You certainly always look to senior year, and then, all of a sudden, senior year happens and you’re like, “I don’t know if I’m ready to go.” It’s tough thinking about not playing the guy.”

http://collider.com/chris-evans-captain-america-contract-future/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I'm guessing it's pay me more money and I'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Evans is Cap to me in the same way as Conroy is Batman. I hope he makes a tonne more Marvel movies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Could also be Evans trying to hide the fact that he'll be killed off in Infinity War.

If he says before hand that it'll be his last film as Cap then we would all have a fair idea that he would probably die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm guessing it's pay me more money and I'll do it.

iirc, Evans is one of the lowest paid of the MCU mainstays; which is kinda crazy considering he's effectively second billing behind Downey Jr and his giant salary ...

pixelburp wrote: »
    iirc, Evans is one of the lowest paid of the MCU mainstays; which is kinda crazy considering he's effectively second billing behind Downey Jr and his giant salary ...

I think that was course-corrected after Downey kicked up a fuss about the other Avengers getting paid so comparatively little.

Stark Tower in the latest promo pic for Spider-Man

17492734_1743240415692523_109855663220229051_o.jpg?oh=733f92cd33cc75c7e9efa1077726a4a2&oe=5953DDCB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Also this

C7sHw4yUwAI8a1Y.jpg

Good and colourful, hopefully the final film will be as much, cos the trailers didn't seem that way ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I thought that was deadpool on first look at that second promo

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    I thought that was deadpool on first look at that second promo

There's a running joke in the comics of people confusing Deadpool for Spider-Man. "Mommy, why did Spider-Man shove a sword up that guys ass?" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Could also be Evans trying to hide the fact that he'll be killed off in Infinity War.

If he says before hand that it'll be his last film as Cap then we would all have a fair idea that he would probably die.

It's hard for Evans to play hardball given they've already established two potential replacements.

I'd personally prefer to see him continue on in the role but the truth is that in cinematic terms, Rodgers' story doesn't leave a lot more to tell. Ditto Thor.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 4 years we have a female Thor and Mackie as Cap.

^^I think we'd be more likely to see Bucky take over as Cap if Evans exits. After Infinity War, Stan still has 5 films in his contract and there have been moments in every Captain America film of Bucky holding the shield. I think they've been telegraphing that possibility since The First Avenger.

Aye and I'd actually prefer Bucky, but the way things are right now I wouldn't be surprised if diversity went against him.

Sorry if that comes across as non PC!

PC got nothing to do with it, Sam Wilson has been the more interesting character anyway IMO, not sure whats so appealing about MCU Bucky beyond tradition and his comics background. He's a misery guts and a bit of a flat performer, whereas Wilson has exactly the right mix of charm and decency perfect for being Cap. would also be consistent with the comics given he has/is Cap America atm anyway iirc?

I'd actually prefer Sam Wilson to take up the mantle if Evans left. It feels more deserved. He's been at Cap's side for a long time now, while Bucky only became any ally (again) in the second half of Civil War. I think it would be more natural for Sam to do it.

pixelburp wrote: »
    PC got nothing to do with it, Sam Wilson has been the more interesting character anyway IMO, not sure whats so appealing about MCU Bucky beyond tradition and his comics background. He's a misery guts and a bit of a flat performer, whereas Wilson has exactly the right mix of charm and decency perfect for being Cap. would also be consistent with the comics given he has/is Cap America atm anyway iirc?

They've both taken up the mantle but Sam is currently Captain America, yep!

Bucky has the better arc in terms of taking on the mantle, it's part of his redemption to not let Steve's legacy die should he die himself.

Wilson is more whole and simply doesn't need to become Captain America in the MCU.

That's a good point as well. I guess it comes down to who needs it vs who deserves it. Hopefully Evans doesn't leave though!

• Advertisement

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Bucky has the better arc in terms of taking on the mantle, it's part of his redemption to not let Steve's legacy die should he die himself.

Wilson is more whole and simply doesn't need to become Captain America in the MCU.

I don't think Bucky should qualify cos he's more broken, and it's not like an arc can't be written for Wilson if the need arose. IF they hand the shield to someone else, I guarantee the first story will be a total 'I can't live up to the mantle' and bingo, an arc appears, that either character can take.

Honestly, Bucky is the closest the MCU has come to the Synderverse in tone and I'd prefer not to see all that angst wrapped around ostensibly the most ideologically pure character. That purity is what made Winter Soldier's story work as well as it did, that juxtaposition against our more... grubbier and cynical world. Having Bucky as Cap negates that purity somewhat IMO.

Advertisement