Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For sale, wanted and swaps (post here only or your thread will be deleted)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Fixing up a e34 BMW series and looking for a Oxford green bonnet and both bumpers .

Thanks gang

• Registered Users Posts: 65,156 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a pet hate of mine, MrRolex. Nearly none of the 80s cars for sale on DoneDeal have a valid NCT :(

Is it really all the rubbish left behind after the recession that you wouldn't be able to sell in Britain? Or do people simply not bother having their car tested as there is virtually no enforcement in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

MrRolex wrote: »
    Agreed.
    To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing a fail sheet on the ad. At least it means the seller is genuine and upfront about any work the car will need done. I would prefer to see its been tested and failed, than have the risk of not knowing what it needs? At 55 Euro its not money wasted, as if its something minor; then it wont put sellers off. I think finding a classic '80's car with NCT seems to be the Holy Grail on Donedeal!
    For me if a car is taxed, and at least NCT tested; I am getting a good feeling about it from the off.

Totally agree, no one is a fool and they know the value of their car.
    As you rightly said, one would be willing to pay more for it with NCT.
    So I guess, they know "what's wrong" is worth more than what they would gain by having NCT.

I looking putting my 03 everyday runner up for sale, Going to stick 3 months tax and put it through NCT should pass if not as least I can tell potential buyer what it needs to get through. It would probably attract more attention than those without NCT.

The key is being able to sleep easy..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It would really sort out the wheat from the chaff if sites like Done Deal allowed you to filter by "Valid NCT", or "No Current NCT".

Not that it would stop people choosing "Valid" and then qualifying it by saying it would have if it were tested. At least these could be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Castle77

I am hoping to do a big clearout in the next couple of weeks... quite a few Mercedes 190 bits that I don't need anymore and will be selling cheaply:) 2.0 litre engine etc
    Also have a Becker Europa II radio and seperate cassette player, that I'm guessing needs restoration- I took it out of a non runner and don't know if it works.

• Advertisement

Now for sale with 12 months NCT

It might help your sale if you updated your ad with a clear picture of the NCT disk?

Donedeal only allows a max of 10 pictures.
    I really want to keep all the ones I have of the bodywork, and interior, service history etc.
    I don't think people need to see a picture of the disc as well!
    When a buyer comes to view the car they will see it for themselves.
    I am buying and selling cars for 23 years now. I would like to think I have served my apprenticeship; and know what works and what doesn't.

You put your car up in this thread, hoping that it might help your sale. Attaching a picture to this thread is free. If you think not a single potential buyer would be interested in seeing the pic of the disk, then you haven't learnt an awful lot in your 23 years of buying and selling cars imho.

If I might venture an opinion and hope for a less dramatic response...

MrRolex, you might consider taking some external shots the next time you get a dry day. Pictures of damp classics, no matter how watertight they might actually be, scream leaky seals and damp to any buyer.

If I see a fogged up windows I assume - often wrongly - the car is like my own, and spends 2 months of the year fogging up every time I sit in it.

Buyers feel the carpets for damp. They look at the roof lining to see if the sunroof seal is sealing.
    Hard to do that over a laptop. The back button might be a safer option than a ride to sunny Leitrim.

I know your car is in great shape and probably doesn't have a leak anywhere. I just wanted to suggest that wet looking cars can raise subliminal flags with buyers, even if the car itself is dry as a bone on the inside.

My post was nothing but a cordial observation. If you want to take it as a personal attack I'll leave you argue with yourself.

• Advertisement

I could regret saying this !! but meant in best possible way

Really... This a crazy.. Mr. Rolex relax, no one is against you. Dades and Unkel were just trying to helpful advice that was all.

Your response gave me the feeling true or not as if you were coming across very insecure and showing a strong feeling that you need to justify your actions which can show inexperience which I am sure its not, so let it flow over your head or just thank them for their input and move on.
    Also no need to attack Boards.ie a lot of people give their time to make the forum work and the last thing anyone needs is this abuse. Sure you are posting, I am and many others are.
    To list what you have and I am not saying it applies to you of course but often means quite the opposite or people may take it that way.

From my personal experience over the years and not saying it’s right. Being a photographer and videographer taking photographs and videos for a number car dealers over the years, number one action was to wash /dry / Vac minimum before any photos are taken.
    If on a damp day we rinse and dry. A dry, clean car helps me as photographer, to show off the straight lines and condition of the paint work, and many other points of the exterior.

Actually, I refuse to photograph a wet car for a dealer unless we are going for particular effect.
    The reason why I won’t is that it makes faded paint work look shiny, scratched and marked paint is hidden, different colour shades along with wavy paint finish are lost. The reason I won’t is because people won’t trust my images, when they view the car in person they will see it's not a true representation of vehicle and feel fooled word does get around about misleading images.

Also key selling points put over in the images are critical, so at a glance, the images say it all. When I photograph history / service files I would include tax disc if valid along with NCT if valid which I would combine into one of my ten images if I am limited to 10. However detailed images cannot be done in just 10.

A few weeks back, a guy was advertising a car as if it had passed and carried a 12 month NCT and price it accordingly. When I asked for the cert to add it to the images, he said not to worry as it has not passed yet but when it sells he will put it through. However his wording got the phone calls, personally, I don’t agree with this practice.

99% of dealers I have dealt with if the vehicle has tax or NCT they want to show it off and they keep telling me not to forget to show it. Funny enough few buy or put a price on a car that’s wet or they look extra closely.

Everyone to their own.. all I am saying is relax life is too short or some cases too long.

GTI looks well, my son had one in same colour, wheels etc. Great fun!! It was also early 84 like yours with wipers from left.
    Wish you all the best in the sale of your GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Moving on.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/classic-car-auctionindoor-autojumble-naas-5-2-17/14563252?campaign=3

YjU3YjNjOTY0YTc3ODNmMGJiODFhMTVlZDNkZWJmYmY702b_WhEKGsscxBg1ooS7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODYwMDYxOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Sunday's auction in Merlin should be interesting. If I'm not mistaken it is being held by the same crowd who organised the one in Swords two(?) years ago, which wasn't a roaring success.

Some really nice cars listed in the catalog, all more than likely out of my price range but there is an auto jumble :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mr Rolex - your last number of posts have been rather argumentative and bordering on absue. Any more of that carry on and you will receive a ban.

Boards encourages debate, not the abuse of users.

You have been warned.

Are you're saying that Bentley is yours?

Like your Golf, it doesn't have an NCT...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Does anyone even bother reading them anymore? I know I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Castle77

I havent been on here for a couple of days.. looks like i missed the only excitement on this thread for the last few months:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14622766
    BMW e34 5 series 520i auto 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

If you would consider LHD, there's quite a few floating around on this side of the pond (holland/belgium/france/germany). Some absolute basket cases, others overpriced but you do come across some nice, original examples. The W123 Diesels could be interesting as classics on Diesel and LPG gas are heavily penalized here in the Netherlands (pay normal tax rate!!) so prices can be quite reasonable. 
    I managed to get a very nice 300TD auto full spec with a 124 engine it for a friend in Bray about two years ago and that is still going strong. 
    Contact me if you want me to keep an eye out. Transport from Rotterdam/Zeebrugge straight into Dublin is easy because I have special rates with a freight ferry company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Here is a link to a 1970 B Type estate that I am selling.
    It would be a good source of parts for anyone restoring a B Type.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/opel-kadet-b-type-estate/14707232

For sale. Complete passenger door for a Ford Zepher.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,118 ✭✭✭✭Esel

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Here is a link to a 1970 B Type estate that I am selling.
    It would be a good source of parts for anyone restoring a B Type.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/opel-kadet-b-type-estate/14707232

Asking price?

Not your ornery onager

A photo of the door for the above ad.

Esel wrote: »
    Asking price?

No price in my head tbh.

Ring or PM me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

I,m looking for triumph tr7 doors and front headlight panel, a donor car might suit .

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Looks very decent. Any reason you haven't NCTd the car for several years? If you put a fresh test on it now it will easily sell for close to your asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

unkel wrote: »
    Looks very decent. Any reason you haven't NCTd the car for several years? If you put a fresh test on it now it will easily sell for close to your asking price.

Is that directed to me?

If it is, the car belongs to my parents and they live in the States. The come home once or twice a year and drive the car. It wouldn't be for sale only that they haven't been able to insure the car this time around. Otherwise it would be NCT'd, taxed, insured and back to being a reliable daily driver for when they're in the country. Without insurance we can't even bring it down to the NCT to get it tested - it's always passed in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Hi All, Amyone know where is or have an Opel Rekord / Vauxhall carlton 'laid to rust'? I am looking for parts to convert one to power steering...

Advertisement