Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Driver (Edgar Wright)

• 12-03-2017 6:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So after all the commotion and controversy over his aborted Ant-Man film, Edgar Wright has popped up with his latest film since World's End.

Going by the trailer it looks a lot less ... geeky? than his previous work, but that could be how the trailer is being cut. Curious to see what a 'normal' Edger Wright film looks like, minus all the pop culture sensibilities or pastiches (not meant as a criticism I should add, I love Wright's confident absorption of genre).

Also looks like a car chase film that'll involve actual cars & stunt driving, so that's always a bonus in a world of Fast & Furious fakery.

Two trailers got released, a US and international version, both being cut somewhat differently with a few scenes in one not in the other so figured on adding both:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Can't get enough of the Hamm! Was that Flea from RHCP in the trailer too?

Edgar Wright has been toying with this story for years and years. He did the below music video in 2003 which was part of the inception for the story I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Literally just watched this trailer over at apple. Looks like a decent flick, hope it's not too stylised by the music. Title is a bit "meh:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the title seems like something that'll only confuse the casual walk-in punter. Especially with the similar, execrable looking animation 'baby boss' coming out a month or two prior to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Doesn't it just feel like 'Drive', but having the craic? Doesn't come across as an Edgar Wright film. A lot of generic plot going on there, which would worry me. Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Doesn't it just feel like 'Drive', but having the craic? Doesn't come across as an Edgar Wright film. A lot of generic plot going on there, which would worry me. Hopefully not.

My first thought is that this looks like the film I had hoped Drive would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

This is Edgar's La La Land :P

Spacey, Hamm, Bernathal and Elgort has me sold

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

Really looking forward to it, but the trailers leave me cold

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    This is Edgar's La La Land :P

Spacey, Hamm, Bernathal and Elgort has me sold

Read an interview from SXSW with Wright there this afternoon and it does sound almost like a musical. They worked with a choreographer and stunt coordinator on the chase scenes. Like they didn't cut scenes to certain songs, they knew what song they wanted for each scene and built them around the songs. Also the first page of the shooting script suggests it's heavily music driven. babydriver-scriptpage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Use of his name "baby" will grate by the end if that trailer is anything to go by.

Much the same gag as Darling in Blackadder 4.

Still, I'm hoping it'll be good. (but I didn't enjoy The World's End, at all)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Second trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Nice. I wonder does Edgar Wright cut these trailers.

One thing is definitely for certain.. The soundtrack is going to be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm highly excited for it, I'm sure it will be great, Edgars yet to make a stinker yet IMO. While i thought he done it with Worlds end, i much preferred it on second viewing. I think it just threw me off the first time with what i was expecting, also the reversal of roles with Simon and Nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A short behind-the-scenes:

While they show Ansel getting stunt driving lessons, they aren't claiming that he did the major stunts himself, of course.

edit: plus this:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Anyone in a hurry to see this film might be interested to know that Screen Unseen is back on Monday June 19th in Odeon cinemas and the word to the wise is that Baby Driver is the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nobody else seen this yet?! It's fvcking brilliant! Absolutely rocks from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭brevity

Just back from it. I really enjoyed it.

Simple enough story but very well implemented. The scene at the start with Harlem Shuffle was inspired - felt like I was watching a musical.

I thought the dialogue was a bit Quentin Tarantino-esque in places, especially the first scenes with Baby and Debora but they were nice scenes too.

Definitely worth a watch and a re-watch as there a heaps of nods to other films that I'm sure I missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nobody else seen this yet?! It's fvcking brilliant! Absolutely rocks from start to finish.

It's not out here till Wednesday IIRC.

Seems to be reviewing well so far

Here as in Ireland? I just saw it!

Here as in Ireland? I just saw it!

Where did you see it, cos it's not listed in cinemas til Wednesday. I think the uk got it a week earlier?

• Advertisement

Local omniplex, weird, was wondering why there was only 1 showing and none tomorrow! Highly recommended anyway :)

I saw it in the Omniplex in Cork. Got this in an email last week:

Omniplex Cork are delighted to announce that we will be showing exclusive preview screenings of 'Baby Driver'(15A) this Monday, two days ahead of general release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

That trailer was...annoying. The "Baby" thing sounds dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

This is one of my favourite movies this year. It is superb. The action and music are so well cut together that it does kind of feel like a musical when you're watching it.

Otacon wrote: »
    This is one of my favourite movies this year. It is superb. The action and music are so well cut together that it does kind of feel like a musical when you're watching it.

In quite a few scenes the characters are actually "dancing"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

First film since Fury Road to persuade me to see it a second time at the cinema (first time was at a Cineworld Unlimited screening). Wright's signature style in full flow, some very funny jokes, good performances from everyone involved, and some great chase scenes. It's basically the film I wanted Drive to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I watched this last night and absolutely loved it, I thought it was fantastic. My other half hated it, she thought it was awful.

As someone said, some of the scenes were very Tarantino-esque which is never a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well id say he learned alot from Tarentino, he lived in his house for a few months if i recall correctly, they're good friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Baby Driver's defining trait may be a gimmick, but it's a good one. Here's a Hollywood summer movie whose action seems genuinely considered and thoughtful - a straightforward yet vibrant marriage of music, editing and choreography that works an impressive spell. This is especially true of the mostly magnificent third act - somewhat abandoning the clean choreography of the first half, Wright sets himself a challenge with a series of more rambling, impatient soundtrack choices. As the **** hits the fan, the form goes nuts alongside it, and the ensuing artful cacophony is something of a wonder.

Lacking the supporting struts offered by straight parody, Baby Driver does have a tendency to struggle in the narrative department, where everything is more or less as expected. The love story is stodgy and unconvincing, one wonderful technicolor laundromat setup aside - the two youngsters just don't have the charisma / chemistry, alas. I found myself unusually frustrated by the film's obsession with portraying Baby as a no-question, ethically pure 'good guy' - nothing wrong with a hero, but there's something about the on-the-nose approach here that doesn't totally gel.

Imperfect then, and part of me wishes Wright made a tighter film where the formal ambition carried completely through the dialogue scenes as much as the action (it does for a bit, but there's just a little too much plot to get through and it does resort to a less propulsive aesthetic for decent chunks). But as far as studio fare goes, this is a cut above - perhaps not the all-encompassing artistic achievement Fury Road was, but the product of a director who may not have anything particularly new to say, but sure as **** has a fresh way of saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Baby Driver's defining trait may be a gimmick, but it's a good one. Here's a Hollywood summer movie whose action seems genuinely considered and thoughtful - a straightforward yet vibrant marriage of music, editing and choreography that works an impressive spell. This is especially true of the mostly magnificent third act - somewhat abandoning the clean choreography of the first half, Wright sets himself a challenge with a series of more rambling, impatient soundtrack choices. As the **** hits the fan, the form goes nuts alongside it, and the ensuing artful cacophony is something of a wonder.

Lacking the supporting struts offered by straight parody, Baby Driver does have a tendency to struggle in the narrative department, where everything is more or less as expected. The love story is stodgy and unconvincing, one wonderful technicolor laundromat setup aside - the two youngsters just don't have the charisma / chemistry, alas. I found myself unusually frustrated by the film's obsession with portraying Baby as a no-question, ethically pure 'good guy' - nothing wrong with a hero, but there's something about the on-the-nose approach here that doesn't totally gel.

Imperfect then, and part of me wishes Wright made a tighter film where the formal ambition carried completely through the dialogue scenes as much as the action (it does for a bit, but there's just a little too much plot to get through and it does resort to a less propulsive aesthetic for decent chunks). But as far as studio fare goes, this is a cut above - perhaps not the all-encompassing artistic achievement Fury Road was, but the product of a director who may not have anything particularly new to say, but sure as **** has a fresh way of saying it.

Glad to hear you liked the third act. I've heard mixed things about it, including one review which suggested the film goes off the rails (in a bad way) in the final third.

Advertisement