Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby Driver (Edgar Wright)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given the soundtrack is an integral part of the whole point of the film, that feels like a redundant dismissal of why someone might the movie. It's like saying people only like musicals because of the songs in them - that's the whole point!

Part of the reason I enjoyed it was precisely because of the music: not because the soundtrack was good in of itself, but how the soundtrack was utilised and was part of the overall cinematic experience.

If it's that integral why does it ring so hollow? I never really believe that Baby likes all of these songs, coupled with the idea of him making music seems, which is never really explored, all feels a bit much. It feels like the movie was built around the idea of a 'cool' soundtrack and aside from the soundtrack and some admittedly snappy dialogue and action, there isn't much to the movie in terms of substance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

fluke wrote: »
    If it's that integral why does it ring so hollow? I never really believe that Baby likes all of these songs, coupled with the idea of him making music seems, which is never really explored, all feels a bit much. It feels like the movie was built around the idea of a 'cool' soundtrack and aside from the soundtrack and some admittedly snappy dialogue and action, there isn't much to the movie in terms of substance.

If it's "substance" we're talking about, maybe a film from an enthusiastic genre film director is the wrong place to look :p I am a big fan of Wright's work, I think all of his films bar The World's End are great (that one had its moments but something about it felt lacking), but substance and depth are not exactly key attributes of his films across the board.

The characters in BD might be shallower than in other Wright films, but it's not like previous films of his have been intimate character studies or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

Fysh wrote: »
    If it's "substance" we're talking about, maybe a film from an enthusiastic genre film director is the wrong place to look :p I am a big fan of Wright's work, I think all of his films bar The World's End are great (that one had its moments but something about it felt lacking), but substance and depth are not exactly key attributes of his films across the board.

The characters in BD might be shallower than in other Wright films, but it's not like previous films of his have been intimate character studies or anything.

Genre films can have substance, and plenty of Wright's films have had substance, most notably The World's End. To in

There doesn't need to be character studies, but the character's interactions and relationships have to have some sort of believability, as they have had in most of his films - see Shaun of the Dead. I don't find
    e.g. Kevin Spacey's sympathetic turn near the end believable because nowhere through the film does it seem like that's in his character, and especially towards Baby

Yes I want a thrill ride but not at the expense of character believability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

4 stars

third act
    why didn't baby let buddy kill bats, wasn't sure buddy would do it before batts killed him or debora?

darling
    maybe her lack of seeking cover is what killed her?

main love story a bit too much of the fairytale/Manic Pixie Dream Girl but then the film is more of the musical then i thought it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Disco 2000 when they were talking songs with the name Deborah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

As much as I love Pulp, I think the song had to have Debora in the title!

So glad to hear Beck's Debra!!:D

does Jamie Foxx have a similar role as Ben Mendelsohn had in the Black Sea
    ie just inexplicable chaos. what does batts think, that the cops are undercover selling cop guns with the label on them?or does he knowing their dirty cops selling their own guns still wants to kill them, even thought it might interfere with the heist

I saw this last night.

After returning home, a friend of mine asked me what I thought of the soundtrack as he had heard nothing but good things. I told him that I felt it was better than anything Tarantino could put out. With Tarantino movies, it often is just a case of, "hey, look at how expansive my taste in music is. Song you've never heard of here. Another here. Aren't I cool?" - it is often blaring, ostentatious, and totally at odds with what is happening on screen many times.

With Baby Driver, this isn't the case. What we have, instead is a soundtrack that is just as much of a character as Baby Driver is himself. Something I thought excellent is that it was the polar opposite of how other movies treat soundtracks. In most, the songs are there to show you, the audience, should feel. In this instance, the soundtrack is there to show you how Baby feels. In downbeat moments, the music is slower, off-key.

Someone in this thread mentioned how they didn't believe Baby liked the songs he was listening to.

I don't think it matters. The music is as much a part of Baby as his sunglasses are. He has different MP3 players & different songs for different moods.

I loved everything about this movie - the visual cuts done phenomenally well, in the classic Edgar Wright style, which is explained well in the excellent Every Frame a Painting's video on Visual Comedy

In the intro sequences, which must have taken so long for Wright to choreograph and film, Baby is dancing down the street, the words of the song pop up in the background. On street signs, graffiti, road work scrawls. Something that was so subtle and could so easily have been missed, but showed so much of Wright's visual flair.

It is definitely a movie that I feel warrants a second watch, because there's likely so much I had missed the first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Disco 2000 when they were talking songs with the name Deborah!

I was thinking The Fat Lady Sings myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

As a previous poster said 'Baby Driver' is the film I had hoped 'Drive' would have been.

Both received rave reviews but 'Baby Driver' well deserves its praise while I found 'Drive' to be such a boring and overrated film.

Baby Driver has a great cast, decent storyline, epic car chase scenes and the soundtrack is brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cheesier than a bag of easy singles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Saw it last night and would give it 6.5 / 10.

It was good I thought, not great. I didnt think Ansel Elgort really added a lot with his performance. He came off a bit like a broody teenager at times, which is what he was I guess, but I thought the female lead outshone him, as did everyone else. Was a pity to see her only as a manic pixie girl.

The choreographed set pieces were excellently done, and a lot of fun; all very Edgar Wright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Deedsie wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Sorry, should have been clearer. I suppose what I'm trying to say is the actor did the bare minimum with the role. A better actor could have given a little more depth to the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nahhhhh. It's not a film for depth. It's just balls to the seat fun and action and music!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nahhhhh. It's not a film for depth. It's just balls to the seat fun and action and music!

Exactly

I thoroughly enjoyed it as a bit of an alternative car chase movie with a killer soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Enjoyed it but let down by the final act.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

does Jamie Foxx have a similar role as Ben Mendelsohn had in the Black Sea
    ie just inexplicable chaos. what does batts think, that the cops are undercover selling cop guns with the label on them?or does he knowing their dirty cops selling their own guns still wants to kill them, even thought it might interfere with the heist

That part puzzled me afterwards, it felt a bit contrived. It seemed like a really important piece of information that Doc should have told them before going to the meeting.
    I don't think Batts knew they were crooked and just wanted to kill them anyway. The reveal that they were dirty cops only comes when the gang return to Doc. If Batts knew they were crooked he would have said so either prior to the shootout or in the aftermath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw it last night and was thoroughly entertained - enough to overlook its flaws and lack of any substance. Thought the soundtrack, driving sequences, choreography, and editing were fantastic. Was also really interesting that
    they showed nothing of the heists. Instead, we just saw Baby rocking out / messing around with the car as an instrument to a song until it was time to kick into gear

Strange that
    Jon Bernthal got such a high billing in the intro credits when he was in it for so little time

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Deisler wrote: »
    Enjoyed it but let down by the final act.

I adored the film, but the only thing that let me down with the final act was
    Should have been Jamie Foxx's Bats instead of Jon Hamm's Buddy been facing off with Baby, they built up a lot of tension between those two. While beside screwing up the robbery at the end, Baby and Buddy kinda got on lol

But Edgar Wright never lets me down, and Baby Driver is no different. The man knows how to direct the hell out of a film, and this is a fantastic piece of entertainment with one of most killer soundtracks in years. All the performances across the board are great, Kevin Spacey hasn't been this good on the big screen in years and Jamie Foxx delivered one of his best in years too. Ansel Elgort brings the heart to the film, and the chemistry between him and Lily James was sweet and ups the ante for Baby when things turn dark. The opening act is fantastic and is probably the main highlight of the film.

I still have Hot Fuzz as my favourite Wright film, but this definitely runs it close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I fully agree with this review from Half in the Bag –

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Looper007 wrote: »
    I adored the film, but the only thing that let me down with the final act was
    Should have been Jamie Foxx's Bats instead of Jon Hamm's Buddy been facing off with Baby, they built up a lot of tension between those two. While beside screwing up the robbery at the end, Baby and Buddy kinda got on lol

I would have to disagree with you there.
    I felt that going down the Jamie Foxx route would have been so predictable that it would have turned into the same old story of - bad guy hates main character, tension builds, main character wins in the end. Here Edgar Wright kills off Jamie Foxx's character in a very unexpected way. Then Jon Hamm's character, which the audience is somewhat enamored with, turns on Baby.

I thought it was very well thought out and not your typical Hollywood story that every comes to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought it was a fun movie. Clever bits here and there. Some Wright traits (close up of a transaction on a shop counter for example) and loved the soundtrack. I've been less entertained at music gigs if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I find Wright incredibly overrated but this was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Really enjoyed it. I had seen all the great reviews so I was expecting something great. I agree with another poster that the final act was not as strong. In terms of the cast, action, car chase sequences and of course the soundtrack it was all excellent. 8.5/10

soldier boy?
    something I'll have to rewath for is who was the guy in the 4x4 that attack them ? was he one of the cops from the previous night? but I think Batts reffered to him as soldier boy

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

soldier boy?
    something I'll have to rewath for is who was the guy in the 4x4 that attack them ? was he one of the cops from the previous night? but I think Batts reffered to him as soldier boy

Think he was just an army veteran that happened to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

soldier boy?

I got the impression he was private security for the company they stole from :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

nix wrote: »
    I got the impression he was private security for the company they stole from :confused:
    I've read Wright talking about him in an interview. He's just a random armed citizen who decides to intervene. The fact that he was asked about it means it's confusing some people, so you're not alone there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

mikhail wrote: »
    I've read Wright talking about him in an interview. He's just a random armed citizen who decides to intervene. The fact that he was asked about it means it's confusing some people, so you're not alone there.
    Yeah I just assumed he was a regular Joe with a gun that was playing the hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For those of you undecided, or those of you who just want to watch this excellent scene again..

Advertisement