Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby Driver (Edgar Wright)

• 12-03-2017 6:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So after all the commotion and controversy over his aborted Ant-Man film, Edgar Wright has popped up with his latest film since World's End.

Going by the trailer it looks a lot less ... geeky? than his previous work, but that could be how the trailer is being cut. Curious to see what a 'normal' Edger Wright film looks like, minus all the pop culture sensibilities or pastiches (not meant as a criticism I should add, I love Wright's confident absorption of genre).

Also looks like a car chase film that'll involve actual cars & stunt driving, so that's always a bonus in a world of Fast & Furious fakery.

Two trailers got released, a US and international version, both being cut somewhat differently with a few scenes in one not in the other so figured on adding both:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Can't get enough of the Hamm! Was that Flea from RHCP in the trailer too?

Edgar Wright has been toying with this story for years and years. He did the below music video in 2003 which was part of the inception for the story I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Literally just watched this trailer over at apple. Looks like a decent flick, hope it's not too stylised by the music. Title is a bit "meh:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the title seems like something that'll only confuse the casual walk-in punter. Especially with the similar, execrable looking animation 'baby boss' coming out a month or two prior to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Doesn't it just feel like 'Drive', but having the craic? Doesn't come across as an Edgar Wright film. A lot of generic plot going on there, which would worry me. Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Doesn't it just feel like 'Drive', but having the craic? Doesn't come across as an Edgar Wright film. A lot of generic plot going on there, which would worry me. Hopefully not.

My first thought is that this looks like the film I had hoped Drive would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

This is Edgar's La La Land :P

Spacey, Hamm, Bernathal and Elgort has me sold

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

Really looking forward to it, but the trailers leave me cold

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    This is Edgar's La La Land :P

Spacey, Hamm, Bernathal and Elgort has me sold

Read an interview from SXSW with Wright there this afternoon and it does sound almost like a musical. They worked with a choreographer and stunt coordinator on the chase scenes. Like they didn't cut scenes to certain songs, they knew what song they wanted for each scene and built them around the songs. Also the first page of the shooting script suggests it's heavily music driven. babydriver-scriptpage.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Use of his name "baby" will grate by the end if that trailer is anything to go by.

Much the same gag as Darling in Blackadder 4.

Still, I'm hoping it'll be good. (but I didn't enjoy The World's End, at all)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Second trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Nice. I wonder does Edgar Wright cut these trailers.

One thing is definitely for certain.. The soundtrack is going to be amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I'm highly excited for it, I'm sure it will be great, Edgars yet to make a stinker yet IMO. While i thought he done it with Worlds end, i much preferred it on second viewing. I think it just threw me off the first time with what i was expecting, also the reversal of roles with Simon and Nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A short behind-the-scenes:

While they show Ansel getting stunt driving lessons, they aren't claiming that he did the major stunts himself, of course.

edit: plus this:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Anyone in a hurry to see this film might be interested to know that Screen Unseen is back on Monday June 19th in Odeon cinemas and the word to the wise is that Baby Driver is the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nobody else seen this yet?! It's fvcking brilliant! Absolutely rocks from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

Just back from it. I really enjoyed it.

Simple enough story but very well implemented. The scene at the start with Harlem Shuffle was inspired - felt like I was watching a musical.

I thought the dialogue was a bit Quentin Tarantino-esque in places, especially the first scenes with Baby and Debora but they were nice scenes too.

Definitely worth a watch and a re-watch as there a heaps of nods to other films that I'm sure I missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nobody else seen this yet?! It's fvcking brilliant! Absolutely rocks from start to finish.

It's not out here till Wednesday IIRC.

Seems to be reviewing well so far

Here as in Ireland? I just saw it!

Here as in Ireland? I just saw it!

Where did you see it, cos it's not listed in cinemas til Wednesday. I think the uk got it a week earlier?

• Advertisement

Local omniplex, weird, was wondering why there was only 1 showing and none tomorrow! Highly recommended anyway :)

I saw it in the Omniplex in Cork. Got this in an email last week:

Omniplex Cork are delighted to announce that we will be showing exclusive preview screenings of 'Baby Driver'(15A) this Monday, two days ahead of general release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

That trailer was...annoying. The "Baby" thing sounds dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

This is one of my favourite movies this year. It is superb. The action and music are so well cut together that it does kind of feel like a musical when you're watching it.

Otacon wrote: »
    This is one of my favourite movies this year. It is superb. The action and music are so well cut together that it does kind of feel like a musical when you're watching it.

In quite a few scenes the characters are actually "dancing"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

First film since Fury Road to persuade me to see it a second time at the cinema (first time was at a Cineworld Unlimited screening). Wright's signature style in full flow, some very funny jokes, good performances from everyone involved, and some great chase scenes. It's basically the film I wanted Drive to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I watched this last night and absolutely loved it, I thought it was fantastic. My other half hated it, she thought it was awful.

As someone said, some of the scenes were very Tarantino-esque which is never a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Well id say he learned alot from Tarentino, he lived in his house for a few months if i recall correctly, they're good friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Baby Driver's defining trait may be a gimmick, but it's a good one. Here's a Hollywood summer movie whose action seems genuinely considered and thoughtful - a straightforward yet vibrant marriage of music, editing and choreography that works an impressive spell. This is especially true of the mostly magnificent third act - somewhat abandoning the clean choreography of the first half, Wright sets himself a challenge with a series of more rambling, impatient soundtrack choices. As the **** hits the fan, the form goes nuts alongside it, and the ensuing artful cacophony is something of a wonder.

Lacking the supporting struts offered by straight parody, Baby Driver does have a tendency to struggle in the narrative department, where everything is more or less as expected. The love story is stodgy and unconvincing, one wonderful technicolor laundromat setup aside - the two youngsters just don't have the charisma / chemistry, alas. I found myself unusually frustrated by the film's obsession with portraying Baby as a no-question, ethically pure 'good guy' - nothing wrong with a hero, but there's something about the on-the-nose approach here that doesn't totally gel.

Imperfect then, and part of me wishes Wright made a tighter film where the formal ambition carried completely through the dialogue scenes as much as the action (it does for a bit, but there's just a little too much plot to get through and it does resort to a less propulsive aesthetic for decent chunks). But as far as studio fare goes, this is a cut above - perhaps not the all-encompassing artistic achievement Fury Road was, but the product of a director who may not have anything particularly new to say, but sure as **** has a fresh way of saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Baby Driver's defining trait may be a gimmick, but it's a good one. Here's a Hollywood summer movie whose action seems genuinely considered and thoughtful - a straightforward yet vibrant marriage of music, editing and choreography that works an impressive spell. This is especially true of the mostly magnificent third act - somewhat abandoning the clean choreography of the first half, Wright sets himself a challenge with a series of more rambling, impatient soundtrack choices. As the **** hits the fan, the form goes nuts alongside it, and the ensuing artful cacophony is something of a wonder.

Lacking the supporting struts offered by straight parody, Baby Driver does have a tendency to struggle in the narrative department, where everything is more or less as expected. The love story is stodgy and unconvincing, one wonderful technicolor laundromat setup aside - the two youngsters just don't have the charisma / chemistry, alas. I found myself unusually frustrated by the film's obsession with portraying Baby as a no-question, ethically pure 'good guy' - nothing wrong with a hero, but there's something about the on-the-nose approach here that doesn't totally gel.

Imperfect then, and part of me wishes Wright made a tighter film where the formal ambition carried completely through the dialogue scenes as much as the action (it does for a bit, but there's just a little too much plot to get through and it does resort to a less propulsive aesthetic for decent chunks). But as far as studio fare goes, this is a cut above - perhaps not the all-encompassing artistic achievement Fury Road was, but the product of a director who may not have anything particularly new to say, but sure as **** has a fresh way of saying it.

Glad to hear you liked the third act. I've heard mixed things about it, including one review which suggested the film goes off the rails (in a bad way) in the final third.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can see that point of view, and I didn't like the way the actual story wrapped up all that much. But I appreciated the orchestrated chaos of the third act, and the surprisingly brutal nature of the action within. It felt more organic than the more cleanly choreographed initial action.

I can see that point of view, and I didn't like the way the actual story wrapped up all that much. But I appreciated the orchestrated chaos of the third act, and the surprisingly brutal nature of the action within. It felt more organic than the more cleanly choreographed initial action.

Yeah I'd read a couple of reviews mentioning that like 'Hot Fuzz', there are some genuinely gruesome & gory moments - that true?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah I'd read a couple of reviews mentioning that like 'Hot Fuzz', there are some genuinely gruesome & gory moments - that true?

It's not shy on violence but, aside from one scene in particular, I wouldn't say it's gory.

Glad to hear you liked the third act. I've heard mixed things about it, including one review which suggested the film goes off the rails (in a bad way) in the final third.

I think that reading can only really be explained as the reviewer wanting a different resolution to the story, tbh. I read an interview with Wright by Mark Kermode in which Blues Brothers is mentioned as one of the big influences on Baby Driver, and I think that's definitely true of how the story culminates in the third act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This could very well be my favourite film of 2017, with still half the year to go. Absolutely loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This could very well be my favourite film of 2017, with still half the year to go. Absolutely loved it.
    !!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I liked it a lot the characters are very well written and it does have a real Tarantino 90's vibe to it I thought.

I love how vicious it did get near the end too and at the same time not overly so only what the story needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Enjoyable film. Thought jamie foxx was superb. Also suprised we didnt see more of jon bernthal character as hes a top actor

ricero wrote: »
    Enjoyable film. Thought jamie foxx was superb. Also suprised we didnt see more of jon bernthal character as hes a top actor

Yea, I expected more of Jon Bernthal as well. Spacey's character did say that he didn't work with same team twice so I'm guessing that there was some scheduling issues and Wright wrote that line in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, let's start with Hot Fuzz - I think it's overrated. Baby Driver is a pretty fun ride. Unfortunately it's not one that pulled me as much as I would have hoped. It's certainly better than Ben Wheatley's Free Fire. There's a decent bit of directorial flare here and the cast are generally good. It does suffer, imo, in the middle and towards the end I was thinking 'what's the point?' though at this stage, the film is basically unapologetically all in. It is at some level about being trapped be it the situation or personal difficulties - being about the only one with a conscience. The car stuff is less phoar/rattling off of vehicle specs as it is about skill of the driver. His rhythm and focus. And considering the physicality of the chases, I was hoping the film was going to leave me feeling a little more jolted.

That soundtrack, though.

• Advertisement

Fun and setting up nicely until he finishes his "last heist" and just lost its way entirely for me after that. I was waiting for a smart double cross, a play from on of the characters we had established at that stage, anything.

Instead, a load of stuff just happened. No sense, no rhythm, no reason.

Pity. Looked good, cast good, sounds great.

I thought it made perfect sense, and had plenty of reason. But it's not exactly searching for depth, it's pretty damn straight forward and simple!

And no rhythm? Well sorry but that's one thing it absolutely has, in abundance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Outstanding.

Cannot wait to see it again because I'm sure I missed tiny details that would make me love this even more, if that's even possible.

In my Top 3 of 2017 along with Get Out and Manchester by The Sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Saw it Wednesday night, loved it. The directing is incredible, the action sequences, the dialogue, the music, everything! Would go see it again. So original. I love when you hear about a movie out of nowhere and go see it a few days later and it actually lives up to the hype. :)

Magnificently choreographed and a genuinely fun, original piece that's feels like an early bolter for movie of the summer. The ease with which Edgar Wright made all that appear was nothing short of brilliant: between the scenes perfectly timed to the music (or indeed, when Baby was having a rough moment and the music WASN'T - ditto the last act), the balletic yet straightforward action scenes, and the breezy tone that balanced fun & danger.

It's still crazy to think Marvel lost a talent like Wright, purely down to their intransigence over the MCU bible - their loss is definitely the audience's gain. And like Mad Max: Fury Road before it, I wish only success for this film, so that it might send a signal to producers everywhere that when it counts, there's no substitute for real cars performing real stunts, composed by real directing teams who don't hide behind shaky cam, excess cutting, and weightless CGI stunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

This started off brilliantly, kept things wound up nicely in the second act but the last 15 mins were attrocious. A case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Everything was so good but then its like they didnt know how to resolve the film and just came up with something ordinary and poor. Kind of ruined it for me. If only they had considered things a bit more and come up with a better resolution.......this couldve been a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Characters let it down, I thought. Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, and others, doing their usual schtick and I've never been much of a fan of it. No real chemistry in the lead romance. I didn't really believe in Baby's circumstance and the film wasn't tight enough to let me forget it.

Action was great though. Sound was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I thought it was alright. It's not a bad film but it's not great. Essentially a long music video. The plot was something you've seen a hundred times before. It really didn't feel like an Edgar Wright film. In fact Ant Man felt more like Edgar Wright than this did. Not that it's bad that he's evolving as a director. I guess I thought this would be better than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Complete sweeties for the eyes and ears. You can't deny its technical brilliance, but I think when the hoo-hah dies that it might evaluated differently down the road.

To echo other posters, I think the characters and general story are a let down. Really enjoyed the last 40 minutes, but found it a bit harder to get on board up to that point. Also, didn't feel like a Edgar Wright film to me, but maybe that's no bad thing from his point of view.

It's an extremely cool movie, but I don't know whether it will be a passing coolness, or something that will sustain it in cult status for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Spent 2 hours with a big smile on my face..

.. great cast (particularly Elgort and Hamm), amazing soundtrack and direction from Wright was seamless.

A labour of love for Wright, but an incredibly fun movie!

• Advertisement
Advertisement