Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip labral tear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

I've had a cam deformity inside the left hip but it has taken me almost two years to get an accurate diagnoses on this, note, that being said I would have been in a better position to chase a diagnoses but I was preoccupied with a lower back complaint which required two surgeries within these same two years so I was delayed here. I'm only now getting to see a consultant in relation to the hip next week but in relation to physiotherapy to stem the cam deformity, it has proven very unsuccessful for me. This may however be tied into the fact that that I've had two spinal surgeries and that had this not been the case, my body may have responded much better to physiotherapy. One can only guess. I was a runner no more than yourself and also a triathlete and completed in marathons and half iornma distance triathlon races and what I found was that my groin/hip pain developed rapidly pretty much over the course of a week and since then has not tolerated one ounce of physical activity without causing pain. I hope that you may have better success with Physio than I did considering your dealing with an orthopaedic complaint in just one area of the body as opposed to multiple orthopaedic complaints such as I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the physical therapy has made such a difference. I just wonder how effective it would be to enable someone to continue running at a high level. Was your mild osteoarthritis graded on the 0-4 scale? Was it ever suggested to you to go for surgery for the hip impingement?

Physical Therapy was a Godsend to me, and it has eased pain considerably(though I have to say I didn't appear to be in as much pain as other OPS).With regard physical Therapy "keep you running at a high level" I can't BUT long term i fear running may possibly prove difficult(note Iam just a "layman").

Regards to surgery on the hip impingement was suggested only as a very last resort as I wasn't in a huge amount of pain. BUT remember if you are going to see a consultant you will be offered surgery because thats what they do. If you talk to Dr. Eanna Falvey (SSC) (see previous posts) or or Dr.Joe Conway (Blackrock) they may offer different solutions.

I've just had my hip arthroscope with Mr Carton two days ago and I'm very impressed with the service provided by both his clinic and the Whitfield hospital in general. Was only kept one night and was given two consultations with the in-house Physio included under the cost of the operation. One before and one after the surgery. I was given a full 45 minutes with the Physio after the procedure and didn't feel in any way rushed. Was also given a full rehabilitation program to follow which saves me more money going to a Physio privately. I was also told I could request for the Physio to give me a call at any stage if I had any questions. Two follow up appointments to come, after 6 and 12 weeks, follow up x-rays also included under the cost of surgery which is another plus.

The diagnosis from Mr Carton after the procedure was that my labrum was not torn but was weakened to the point that a tear was likely to occur soon, so he pinned this with clips to support it. The main problem I was suffering he mentioned was the presence of a lot of scaring to the top of the femur bone and the presence of some abnormal boney growths on the top of the femur, similar to bone spurs if you will and was these that were causing the impingement of the hip and hence the pain I was suffering.

At the moment I've two small incisions in the front of my left thigh, side by side which are much lower on the thigh than I would have expected. The leg has been like a sack of spuds the last 48 hours with little or no power in it but pain is very minimal, nothing that paracetamol can't fend off. Certainly no need for anything stronger. Sleeping is a bit awkward with not being allowed sleep on the effected side but will have to sacrifice this for a few weeks, not a big deal.

One last comment which I will leave up to the readers to make of what they will, I won't even offer my own opinion on this but I was asked by several nurses and the Physio when I was down there if this was the first time I had this hip arthroscope done, to which I had told them all yes. I found it a bit puzzling that this question kept being asked and not long before my discharge when speaking with one of the staff, it was mentioned briefly that Mr Carton had been doing a lot of corrections lately from surgeries that have not been successful from the clinic in Santry in Dublin. Just want to make it clear that this in no way represents my opinion or me vouching for the Whitfield hospital over the clinic in Santry, it is purely something that was said to me when I was down there and I'll leave it up to ye folks to decide whether to place belief in it or not.

subscriber wrote: »
    I've just had my hip arthroscope with Mr Carton two days ago and I'm very impressed with the service provided by both his clinic and the Whitfield hospital in general. Was only kept one night and was given two consultations with the in-house Physio included under the cost of the operation. One before and one after the surgery. I was given a full 45 minutes with the Physio after the procedure and didn't feel in any way rushed. Was also given a full rehabilitation program to follow which saves me more money going to a Physio privately. I was also told I could request for the Physio to give me a call at any stage if I had any questions. Two follow up appointments to come, after 6 and 12 weeks, follow up x-rays also included under the cost of surgery which is another plus.

The diagnosis from Mr Carton after the procedure was that my labrum was not torn but was weakened to the point that a tear was likely to occur soon, so he pinned this with clips to support it. The main problem I was suffering he mentioned was the presence of a lot of scaring to the top of the femur bone and the presence of some abnormal boney growths on the top of the femur, similar to bone spurs if you will and was these that were causing the impingement of the hip and hence the pain I was suffering.

At the moment I've two small incisions in the front of my left thigh, side by side which are much lower on the thigh than I would have expected. The leg has been like a sack of spuds the last 48 hours with little or no power in it but pain is very minimal, nothing that paracetamol can't fend off. Certainly no need for anything stronger. Sleeping is a bit awkward with not being allowed sleep on the effected side but will have to sacrifice this for a few weeks, not a big deal.

One last comment which I will leave up to the readers to make of what they will, I won't even offer my own opinion on this but I was asked by several nurses and the Physio when I was down there if this was the first time I had this hip arthroscope done, to which I had told them all yes. I found it a bit puzzling that this question kept being asked and not long before my discharge when speaking with one of the staff, it was mentioned briefly that Mr Carton had been doing a lot of corrections lately from surgeries that have not been successful from the clinic in Santry in Dublin. Just want to make it clear that this in no way represents my opinion or me vouching for the Whitfield hospital over the clinic in Santry, it is purely something that was said to me when I was down there and I'll leave it up to ye folks to decide whether to place belief in it or not.

Did he mention anything about you getting back running etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Glad to hear that it will all went well for you subscriber! Stick to the exercises, see them all through to the bitter end, even if you find them boring as ****e, I know I did - also stopped exercises, but have since resumed them and keep doing them regularly. I slept on a recliner for the first week, only way i could guarantee that i would not sleep on my side, as the side i had op on was my preferred sleeping side. Best of luck with rehab. One tip for you, when you go back for your follow up consultations, unless you request it, you won't see one of the physios, I made sure to do that, as they gave me a print out of exercises to do for general maintenance of the hip going forward along with the tip of "weight management" - the physio freaked out when i said "are you calling me fat?" - had to tell him I was actually taking the piss.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi Folks,

Just had my second hip arthroscopy surgery on my right hip. First one was 2009. Hip played up over the last year and eventually couldn't take the discomfort anymore and had it done in SSC. Had the first one there and had a different surgeon for this one. Tom Mc Carthy and would highly recommend him. Very professional and comes across as a really nice guy also. Can't say anything bad about the process or him.
    Was meant to have a different surgeon but something happened and he had to cancel all of his surgeries, hope he is doing okay. Nurses kinda said he was pretty sick.
    Had the surgery on the 20th and so far, no more pain or discomfort in my hip which is such a relief. Normal existence again. 24/7 pain is such a nightmare to deal with.
    Hopefully my recovery goes just as well as the last time....Just means I'm closer to getting a full hip replacement.

size5 wrote: »
    Did he mention anything about you getting back running etc?

I asked him this on the initial consultation before the surgery and he said that absolutely yes I could go back running but to leave it for 6 months before returning to it. He said I should be back to 80℅ strenght in the hip and groin after 3/4 months but that it would take to 6 months to reach 100℅ full recovery mentioning the last 20℅ of the recovery is the slowest. Great news to hear as I've been away from sport for 18 months with a lower back injury which had now been fixed through a different surgery and I'm longing to return to it. He said given my age (28) and the fact that the impingement of the hip was in the mild-moderate category that there's no reason why i wouldn't run again. Hallelujah!

bsb1971 wrote: »
    Glad to hear that it will all went well for you subscriber! Stick to the exercises, see them all through to the bitter end, even if you find them boring as ****e, I know I did - also stopped exercises, but have since resumed them and keep doing them regularly. I slept on a recliner for the first week, only way i could guarantee that i would not sleep on my side, as the side i had op on was my preferred sleeping side. Best of luck with rehab. One tip for you, when you go back for your follow up consultations, unless you request it, you won't see one of the physios, I made sure to do that, as they gave me a print out of exercises to do for general maintenance of the hip going forward along with the tip of "weight management" - the physio freaked out when i said "are you calling me fat?" - had to tell him I was actually taking the piss.......

Thanks for your message. Sticking to my Physio is something I do religiously. I've been in constant rehab pretty much for the past 18 months having had two surgeries to fix a prolapsed disc in my lower back and have never missed one day of Physio in that time. Thankfully, all my lower back issues are now sorted and my back feels very strong indeed. If I can come out the other side of this hip now, I'll finally be able to make it back into my sport of triathlon and I'll be thrilled to bits. It's not easy for anyone who is an athlete to be rested up like this and I'm sure we can all relate to that.

I'll make sure to request in advance to see the Physio when I go back down for review in 6 weeks time. Thanks for the advice on that.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-stars-need-new-hips-by-their-mid20s-34907149.html

Spotted this today good article on hip injuries consultant Patrick Carton was interviewed. Find it interesting that he operates a lot on GAA players but not on soccer players?

How are things everyone?

Just an update on me since iv'e had my left hip scope done 13 weeks ago...

Came off crutches on day 5 post-op , realised after 24 hours it was too soon to come off them due to increased pain and had to return to crutches for a further 3 days.

Completely off crutches by day 8, walking unassisted but only around the house with minimal pain but very little power to lift leg off the ground.

Week 2 to Week 5 were absolutely perfect in terms of following the Physio programme but didn't put enough emphasis on the swimming pool based exercises, having done everything on the ground mat and at week 5 things all my progress came unstuck and essentially had to return to the couch for 7 days with a lot of pain. My 6 week appointment with Mr Carton revealed that the mistake I had made of overdoing the land based exercises and not doing enough pool based Physio and was ordered by himself and the Physio to return to the pool and avoid land based exercises for 2\3 weeks which I done.

Week 6-9 were only pool based exercises as mentioned above and I found this very mentally challenging as I really felt I had done some additional damage to my hip and wasn't progressing with my Physio as quickly as I should have been.

Week 9 I progressed out of the pool and back to land based exercises in the gym starting back with light cycling, 20 min threadmill walks along with shallow lunges, squats, core exercises and light stretches.... Pretty much kept this routine between 9 to week 11.

Week 11 to week 13 which has been the past two weeks I have seen a very dramatic improvement being able to do both deep lunges and deep squats whilst holding 7.5kg weights in hand.

Week 13 which is this current week, the difference has been truly remarkable for me... I have been doing HIIT (high intensity fat burning) classes in the gym which have included star jumps, burpees, mountain climbers amongst other stuff and with 15 mins stretching post exercise I have little or no symptoms post exercise. I would say I have to stretch for 10 mins twice throughout the evening after one of them sessions or I feel slightly tight in the groin but it is absolutely minimal symptoms wise.

Mr Carton told me at my 6 week appointment that I will continue to see improvements up to 20 weeks post-op and considering I am feeling this good at week 13, I am very optimistic for the future. I had asked him once again at the 6 week appointment about resumimg road running and he reassured me that it wasn't a problem but to approach it intelligently and build myself up over the next 6 months and not to just head out for a one hour run straight off the bat which is fine ... wouldn't have expected to be told any different really.

So as you can see, some ups and downs throughout the recovery and wasn't all straight forward as I would have hoped but I don't think these things ever are. All in all, at week 13, I feel 85/90% recovered from this procedure and am extremely glad I got it done.

Hopefully this post will be of help/interest to some readers having this procedure done or thinking about having it done...

• Advertisement

subscriber wrote: »
    How are things everyone?

Just an update on me since iv'e had my left hip scope done 13 weeks ago...

Came off crutches on day 5 post-op , realised after 24 hours it was too soon to come off them due to increased pain and had to return to crutches for a further 3 days.

Completely off crutches by day 8, walking unassisted but only around the house with minimal pain but very little power to lift leg off the ground.

Week 2 to Week 5 were absolutely perfect in terms of following the Physio programme but didn't put enough emphasis on the swimming pool based exercises, having done everything on the ground mat and at week 5 things all my progress came unstuck and essentially had to return to the couch for 7 days with a lot of pain. My 6 week appointment with Mr Carton revealed that the mistake I had made of overdoing the land based exercises and not doing enough pool based Physio and was ordered by himself and the Physio to return to the pool and avoid land based exercises for 2\3 weeks which I done.

Week 6-9 were only pool based exercises as mentioned above and I found this very mentally challenging as I really felt I had done some additional damage to my hip and wasn't progressing with my Physio as quickly as I should have been.

Week 9 I progressed out of the pool and back to land based exercises in the gym starting back with light cycling, 20 min threadmill walks along with shallow lunges, squats, core exercises and light stretches.... Pretty much kept this routine between 9 to week 11.

Week 11 to week 13 which has been the past two weeks I have seen a very dramatic improvement being able to do both deep lunges and deep squats whilst holding 7.5kg weights in hand.

Week 13 which is this current week, the difference has been truly remarkable for me... I have been doing HIIT (high intensity fat burning) classes in the gym which have included star jumps, burpees, mountain climbers amongst other stuff and with 15 mins stretching post exercise I have little or no symptoms post exercise. I would say I have to stretch for 10 mins twice throughout the evening after one of them sessions or I feel slightly tight in the groin but it is absolutely minimal symptoms wise.

Mr Carton told me at my 6 week appointment that I will continue to see improvements up to 20 weeks post-op and considering I am feeling this good at week 13, I am very optimistic for the future. I had asked him once again at the 6 week appointment about resumimg road running and he reassured me that it wasn't a problem but to approach it intelligently and build myself up over the next 6 months and not to just head out for a one hour run straight off the bat which is fine ... wouldn't have expected to be told any different really.

So as you can see, some ups and downs throughout the recovery and wasn't all straight forward as I would have hoped but I don't think these things ever are. All in all, at week 13, I feel 85/90% recovered from this procedure and am extremely glad I got it done.

Hopefully this post will be of help/interest to some readers having this procedure done or thinking about having it done...

Congrats on your recovery. Good to hear.

I had my second surgery on my hip and recovery is a lot slower than the last time. The first op I was running around after 8 weeks. This time around and a lot more cartilage removed and a few spots now with none. Hip flared up after 6 weeks. Anti-inflammatories and rest for a week and half, then could get back to things slower again. Been a slow slog.

The pool work is recommend, took 8 weeks before the exercises felt easier. Came off the anti-inflammatories and withing 3 days my hip was at me again, stiff and any form of exercise was causing discomfort. Back on the anti-inflammatories and rest and scheduled for an injection into my hip to ease the inflammation. Been able to do the rehab and physio with the aid of the anti-inflammatories. Hip has got alot stronger and more movement and flexibility into it. Physio isn't overly impressed with the flare ups and the set backs.

Probably would have been easier to replace the hip as I would have been recovered by the time it's taken to get this far. But such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

I was told recently that there are only 3 doctors in the country that do this surgery on the hip.
    I saw Dr Carton a few years ago, he sent me for a Arthogram of my hip.
    When I went back for him to update me on the results. I was told there was no Labral tear, there was impingement and bursitis. He wasn't able to help to.
    Sometime later I got a copy of the written report for the arthrogram reported on by a radiologist, they reported there was a labral tear.
    I got the impression Dr Carton had done this surgery mainly on young males.
    Are there any woman on here who had this surgery?
    I was recommended to go to Dr Cashman for arthroscopic examination of my hip recently. Dr Cashman said he won't do the surgery.
    I heard the 3rd consultant isn't working at the moment. I didn't get a name of this consultant.
    Does anyone know who the 3rd surgeon is?

Hi,

I believe the surgeon your looking for is mr. Mulhall. There is mr.Tom mc Carthy out of the SSC in Santry. Worth giving him a call, but if mr Carton and mrCashman won't do it then others probably won't either. Depends on your pain level and restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

There is also Declan Bowler in mater private in Cork. Went to see him myself, but chose to have my surgery done by Mr. Carton instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

April1 wrote: »
    I was told recently that there are only 3 doctors in the country that do this surgery on the hip.
    I saw Dr Carton a few years ago, he sent me for a Arthogram of my hip.
    When I went back for him to update me on the results. I was told there was no Labral tear, there was impingement and bursitis. He wasn't able to help to.
    Sometime later I got a copy of the written report for the arthrogram reported on by a radiologist, they reported there was a labral tear.
    I got the impression Dr Carton had done this surgery mainly on young males.
    Are there any woman on here who had this surgery?
    I was recommended to go to Dr Cashman for arthroscopic examination of my hip recently. Dr Cashman said he won't do the surgery.
    I heard the 3rd consultant isn't working at the moment. I didn't get a name of this consultant.
    Does anyone know who the 3rd surgeon is?

Don't build up all your hopes on Surgery

Try to get an appointment with Eanna falvey

Dr. Eanna Falvey on the hip injury rise and head trauma by Off The Ball https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/dr-eanna-falvey-on-the-hip-injury-rise-and-head-trauma on #SoundCloud

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

My pain levels are high. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ashb0435

Hi

Due to get a hip arthroscopy for a labral tear with Dr cashman in a few weeks....

What were people's recovery like....time to getting off crutches, back to work etc?

Any recommendations for pre and post procedure exercise?

Any advice in general?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

ashb0435 wrote: »
    Hi

Due to get a hip arthroscopy for a labral tear with Dr cashman in a few weeks....

What were people's recovery like....time to getting off crutches, back to work etc?

Any recommendations for pre and post procedure exercise?

Any advice in general?

Thanks
    Was told 6 weeks recovery to go back to work. Took me 8 weeks, and it was stiff at that. As soon as the wound Is OK get into the pool. Move the bed downstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Hi Guys

Due to have surgery with J Bunn in SSC as recommended by him. Have seen a number of consultants and was referred to Bunn.

Have spent lots over the last 2 years with 3 different physios. They all miss diagnosed as far as I can tell. Had been doing lots of strength and conditioning of core etc but ended up just aggravating labral.

I also had 2 x corticosteroid injections which gave temporary relief.

I am late 30s, have done plenty of Marathons and tri in the past. What is likely to be position post surgery? Anyone had the surgery and back doing sports to same level as pre injury?

Thanks and apologies if reaping stuff already posted.

Potsy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

How long did you get out of the corticosteroid injections?

I have a tear myself but dr cartman has said there is no point operating on it as the hip will need to be done in a couple of years. I was told if i looked after it though i may never need it.

So i stupidly took up BJJ and now really dont want to give it up :P

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    How long did you get out of the corticosteroid injections?

I have a tear myself but dr cartman has said there is no point operating on it as the hip will need to be done in a couple of years. I was told if i looked after it though i may never need it.

So I stupidly took up BJJ and now really don't want to give it up :P

No longer than a month and generally took a few days to kick in.

I have formed a small bone growth on the ball of the femur (CAM Femoroacetabular impingement) Not sure which came first, the tear on the Labrum or the bone growth. Anywho, I don't think I have an option here. he end of the Labrum has turned to grizzle. Consultant talking about a debridement of the end of the Labrum and smoothing out the bone small growth so it stops eroding the rest of the Labrum.

I hear you on the BBJ. I do a lot of dinghy sailing (heavy hiking) and long distance running. That has to be good for your hips:rolleyes:

The injections were probably not worth it so ?

I'm still training away with the BJJ and a bit of yoga and a lot of mobility work on the hip but its starting to ignore me a bit more lately, starting to wonder what ill be left like later on in life :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nol87

Hi Guys,

I've been diagnosed with a labral tear too. I'm wondering if any of you add an anterior thigh and anterior knee pain with ur labral tear? Ive add two Injections but I am unsure if my knee pain is coming from my labral tear or something else.

Hopefully we l hear from u 😊

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ashb0435

Nol87 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've been diagnosed with a labral tear too. I'm wondering if any of you add an anterior thigh and anterior knee pain with ur labral tear? Ive add two Injections but I am unsure if my knee pain is coming from my labral tear or something else.

Thanks guys

Hey

I am 1 week post op. Feeling great. Pain lasted 1-2 days and at that didn't need medication.

I had the labral tear for 4 years and was symptom free for 2 years. During the 4 years I had a stress fracture and muscle pain. Majority of my pain was in the hip area but I did have pain around half way between my hip and knee. This wasn't as frequent.

I was told my prof mulhall (diagnosing consultant) and Dr Cashman (performed the surgery) that a lot of my pain could have been muscle related. So it could be contributing to your knee pain but it's best to ask your consultant. From my research online a lot of people have different experiences.

Best of luck with it.
    Ashling

Thanks a lot Aishling for your reply. Best of luck with your recovery

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys

Hey

I'm living with a tear, haven't had injections and wont be getting them. When i put my hip through a bit of abuse then i also get anterior thigh and knee pain...a session or two with the physio and a bit of rest relieves it though. With management the only pain i really get is in the hip if i really over do it.

How did you find the injections? did they last long before the effect wore off ?

Thanks

D

dashoonage wrote: »
    Hey

I'm living with a tear, haven't had injections and wont be getting them. When i put my hip through a bit of abuse then i also get anterior thigh and knee pain...a session or two with the physio and a bit of rest relieves it though. With management the only pain i really get is in the hip if i really over do it.

How did you find the injections? did they last long before the effect wore off ?

Thanks

D

Hey D,

The injections were good. They lasted about a month and a half for me. I was quite sore for a few days after getting them though.
    They kinda give you a bit of time so you can focus on Strenghtning the muscles around the hip. And it confirms that the pain is coming from the labral tear.

I get pain In my anterior leg and knee from walking. I seem to get only one hour walk a day before that pain sets off. Sometimes lesser. Is the localised pain in your hip quite sore?

I'm a bit worried that my knee pain is coming from my back as I still got the pain 3 times when I add my injection.

Just a bit freaked out about the surgery being very intense and not getting all my symptoms fixed.

Thanks for your reply. It's really good to hear people stories.

Hey D,

The injections were good. They lasted about a month and a half for me. I was quite sore for a few days after getting them though.
    They kinda give you a bit of time so you can focus on Strenghtning the muscles around the hip. And it confirms that the pain is coming from the labral tear.

I get pain In my anterior leg and knee from walking. I seem to get only one hour walk a day before that pain sets off. Sometimes lesser. Is the localised pain in your hip quite sore?

I'm a bit worried that my knee pain is coming from my back as I still got the pain 3 times when I add my injection.

Just a bit freaked out about the surgery being very intense and not getting all my symptoms fixed.

Thanks for your reply. It's really good to hear people stories.

Have you seen a physio to get the knee pain investigated?

My physio has been fantastic in keeping me active. I was told not to have the op by a specialist and that i would have to have the hip done eventually either way. That was about 5 years ago now! I still train bjj, cycle a lot and walk the dog decent distances and do yoga. Its all about management.

Its always worth getting a second opinion on the injury as well.

This is worth a read http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php a lot of the members got tears fixed at the time of resurfacing and are hugely active afterwards.

A month and a half isnt worth it off injections in my opinion but its all relevant to the pain your having to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

Just diagnosed with Labral tear. Not sure what to do next. Did / do any of you have pain (get woken up) in bed? I find that to get to sleep I need to lie a certain way. If I move during the night, pain returns and wakes me up.

• Advertisement

GG21057 wrote: »
    Just diagnosed with Labral tear. Not sure what to do next. Did / do any of you have pain (get woken up) in bed? I find that to get to sleep I need to lie a certain way. If I move during the night, pain returns and wakes me up.

I got pain in bed if I did exercise that day and particularly the following morning. Same as you, only in certain positions.

Did they mention anything about an impingement on your femoral head or what has caused the tear?

I am now 2 weeks post surgery. Had partial labral debridement (removed) and the femoral head (ball part of femer) paired / smoothed to remove an impingement. Surgery was only option after 3 years as there was a defect causing the tear. Off crutches after 10 days although could have ditched them after 5 but was being careful not to over weight bear on joint. Was at the physio and she couldn't believe I was only 2 weeks post op.

Feeling good but joint will never allow me to do Ironman's or Marathons again.

:(

Not too bothered though. Just want to get back to regular exercise at this stage.

Advertisement