Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW28 Captain Thread

• 07-03-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭

Mane or Lukaku for me this week

GW28 Captain 112 votes

Lukaku
    0% 0 votes
    Mane
    57% 64 votes
    Coutinho
    26% 30 votes
    Firmino
    2% 3 votes
    Siggy
    3% 4 votes
    Llorente
    3% 4 votes
    Rondon
    3% 4 votes
    Coleman
    0% 0 votes
    Brunt
    0% 1 vote
    Carroll(WH)
    0% 1 vote
    Other (Name below)
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Lukaku for me. May swap to Mane before Sat morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mane at the moment, possible change to Lukaku Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Will be a tough call between mane and lukaku and may be a massive factor in the week considering the likely low scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

(C)iggy at the moment even though he's away. Will probably change. Just want to use Ciggy if I'm being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lukaku for definite. West Brom haven't been a defensive stronghold at all for most of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

It's hard to look past lukaku.
    Liverpool mid also a strong option but choosing the right one is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mane or firmino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

class CaptainMane

If mane is playing a top 6 team, captain him.
    Else don't captain him.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    class CaptainMane

If mane is playing a top 6 team, captain him.
    Else don't captain him.

Fake News!

Have you actually had a look at his returns? He has had a lot of very big scores against non Top 6 clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Torn between Lukaku and Mane

Will probably go with the troll given the unpredictability of Pool midfielders

Crucial week for getting it right when I only have 8 playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had an unsettling thought just now...Big Andy with the armband....I think I need a couple of strong painkillers and a lie-down asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Torn between Lukaku and Mane

Will probably go with the troll given the unpredictability of Pool midfielders

Crucial week for getting it right when I only have 8 playing

Yeah I'm wary of the Liverpool mid as captaincy options. I know explosiveness is important but they are very inconsistent. I see Lukaku as the safer option. Owning 2 Liverpool guys as I most likely will is probably enough eggs in that basket too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Llorente for me. Lukaku does fúck all when I captain him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PARlance wrote: »
    Fake News!

Have you actually had a look at his returns? He has had a lot of very big scores against non Top 6 clubs.

Alternative Facts

Its been ages since he did though (GW17) more recent history seems to indicate that I am indeed correct!

Rikand wrote: »
    Alternative Facts

Its been ages since he did though (GW17) more recent history seems to indicate that I am indeed correct!

He scores well against all teams.

Build a wall and get over it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭COH

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Big Andy with the armband

Ease off the heroin there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Between Mane and Lukaku. Currently have it on Mane in the Liverpool midfield lottery. He seems to have good returns at Anfield and Burnley's poor away record swaying it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Going for Mané over Lukaku. I think WBA have the physicality in defense to shackle Lukaku, Burnley have physicality as well, but that doesn't help much against a player like Mané who's so elusive and fast. Also I fancy Liverpool will want to send a message and exact some revenge for what was an embarrassing performance and loss at Turf Moor earlier on in the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

The way things are generally going during DGWs & BGWs I'd say Coleman or Jakupovic are the best candidates :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Will the bookies help me?

Lukaku to score anytime: evens

Mane to score anytime: evens

So, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is a very basic and lazy analysis of what will probably be alot more complex than this, but Mane won't be well served playing against Burnley notoriously sitting really deep. His recent successes (and the majority of his successes in general in this Liverpool team) have come against teams who want to come out and play the game too, leaving space in behind. While Liverpool will surely score at least once against Burnley I think it may be somewhat of a case of the Liverpool lottery here. Lukaku for me.

Will the bookies help me?

Lukaku to score anytime: evens

Mane to score anytime: evens

So, no.
    Mane gets an extra pt for his goals and a point if they get a cs

I'll probably end up captaining Firmino just because I feel he is just as likely to get points as Mane and I'd prefer to captain the less owned player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Coutinho is top of FFSs goals imminent table, he's my choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm getting this funny feeling Carroll may be the one to captain this week (Andy, just to avoid confusion). I can't bring myself to do it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

It's a Llorente Lukaku or Mane shootout here and only fielding 6 players I'm nervous! Probably Mane to trainwreck my season once and for all after that magnificent TC fail on Kun last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,171 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Taking a bit of a maverick punt on Antonio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Lukaku (c) was always the plan this week but my gut is telling me not to. Think I'll go with Mané.

Can't stop the feeling... Lukaku the troll gets it.

Wanted to change to Mané but think I did not confirm it. So Lukaku it is. 2 pts at best then :pac:...

Coutinho

iroced wrote: »
    Wanted to change to Mané but think I did not confirm it. So Lukaku it is. 2 pts at best then :pac:...
    Well Lukaku did the job for the first time since... feels like ever for me :pac:. Weird feeling now to hope for a 'Pool semi-blanl tomorrow :pac:. Mané & Coutinho assists for Heaton double own goal :p....

Busts sermon about Liverpools home form convinced me to switch from Lukaku to Kane at 1.30.

Here's hoping we're both smiling tomorrow.

• Advertisement

FHFC wrote: »
    Busts sermon about Liverpools home form convinced me to switch from Lukaku to Kane at 1.30.

Hopefully its badly needed.

FHFC wrote:

Let's hope Liverpool sign Kane first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I hope you've got a good VC? :pac:

I hope you've got a good VC? :pac:

Even autocorrect is screwing me over this GW...

Yeah I'm wary of the Liverpool mid as captaincy options. I know explosiveness is important but they are very inconsistent. I see Lukaku as the safer option. Owning 2 Liverpool guys as I most likely will is probably enough eggs in that basket too.

I'll just leave this here as a deserved slap about the head for myself. :mad:

Changing that C goes down as one of my worst calls of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Lukaku (c) was always the plan this week but my gut is telling me not to. Think I'll go with Mané.

Well aren't you the clever one :rolleyes:

I'll just leave this here as a deserved slap about the head for myself. :mad:

Changing that C goes down as one of my worst calls of the season.

I did say Liverpool have been averaging 2 goals a game in home games this season. Of all the things that went against me this week I've no problem with the captaincy shout. It was a marginal call I'd always expect Liverpool to score more against Burnley than Everton would against wba.

I did say Liverpool have been averaging 2 goals a game in home games this season. Of all the things that went against me this week I've no problem with the captaincy shout. It was a marginal call I'd always expect Liverpool to score more against Burnley than Everton would against wba.

I changed my mind to the opposite of a long considered plan at the last minute on a whim. So deserved what I got.

I also spent a good while on Friday night planning a few weeks ahead and talked myself out of getting King as he'd be a hit waiting to happen and went for Coutinho instead.

25 points odd in those 2 narrow calls.

[...] always expect Liverpool to score more against Burnley than Everton would against wba.
    Even this season? I feel like the old Pulis is gone. WB conceded 2 or more goals 8 times this season. And they only have 5 CS so far. Much much lower standards than what we're used to from Pulis isn't it?

iroced wrote: »
    Even this season? I feel like the old Pulis is gone. WB conceded 2 or more goals 8 times this season. And they only have 5 CS so far. Much much lower standards than what we're used to from Pulis isn't it?

That was only the second time this season wba have conceded more than 2 goals in an away game. They conceded 1 at both arsenal and Chelsea. I do agree with you pulisball is dead however if you look at Burnley and wbas away goals conceded and Liverpool and evertons home goals scored you would expect Liverpool to at least match or score more goals than Everton at the weekend. Having said that Burnley are now much better away from home than they were lots of narrow 1 goal defeats as opposed to the start of the season when they were losing by 3 goal margins.

That was only the second time this season wba have conceded more than 2 goals in an away game. They conceded 1 at both arsenal and Chelsea. I do agree with you pulisball is dead however if you look at Burnley and wbas away goals conceded and Liverpool and evertons home goals scored you would expect Liverpool to at least match or score more goals than Everton at the weekend. Having said that Burnley are now much better away from home than they were lots of narrow 1 goal defeats as opposed to the start of the season when they were losing by 3 goal margins.

I went with the bookies when choosing between Lukaku and Liverpool mids.
    Everton to score 3 or more goals was 5/2, Liverpool was evens

Advertisement