Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haye vs Bellew

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Eamonn McGee with me on twitter:

Watching #HayeBellew again there. What the **** was @McGuigans_Gym playing at sending a crippled man out to take a beating round after round

Conlan liked the post too

What was McGuigan at!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snowflaker wrote: »
    What was McGuigan at!

I said the same thing a few pages back. Shane should have over ruled Haye and called a halt to it as soon as Haye got back to the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Morrison J wrote: »
    I don't begrudge boxers making money, just wish it was done in an appropriate manner that doesn't include taking advantage of the paying customer.

This is my problem as well. It feels like it was all scripted just to dupe people in to buying the fight. Particularly when the two guys (who supposedly hate each other) are there arm in arm after the fight, trying to sell you the rematch. It really has gone full WWE.

Talking about it on Off The Ball now. Some reporter coming on to talk about it at 7.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It feels like some people never saw the build up to a boxing match before.
    People on about being conned with the fake animosity.
    That's been going on with donkeys years.
    Bellew riles his opponents.
    Tyson Fury does it.
    Mike Tyson done it.
    Ali done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

blade1 wrote: »
    It feels like some people never saw the build up to a boxing match before.
    People on about being conned with the fake animosity.
    That's been going on with donkeys years.
    Bellew riles his opponents.
    Tyson Fury does it.
    Mike Tyson done it.
    Ali done it.

Mike Tyson biting Holyfield's ear was all part of the con job so was it? He's a nutjob, it wasn't contrived. Tyson Fury is the same. By being themselves they naturally make headlines.

Bellew did it with Cleverly and it's well regarded as the worst PPV of all time. Eddie Hearn being part of that, again, is no coincidence. It's the WWE model. Haye did it with Audley Harrison too. Again, one of the worst PPV's in recent memory.

Sometimes it isn't fake. Groves v Froch rivalry was 100% legit for example. They still can't look at each when in the same room.

Charlo v Williams was a big rivalry in the US last year. When Charlo knocked Williams out, he told him to **** off after, there was no embrace. Again, a real hatred, nothing contrived.

There's a trend where the fake rivalries usually lead to **** fights. Why? Because if its a poor fight you need to make up a fake hatred between the fighters for it to sell. That's Hearn all over. Prioritising marketing over good matchmaking every single time.

• Advertisement

Mike Tyson biting Holyfield's ear was all part of the con job so was it?
    :confused: where did I say that?
    Plenty of times Tyson came up with stuff before a fight to get at his opponents.
    Like when he said he wanted to eat Lennox Lewis' children.

Plenty of times Tyson came up with stuff before a fight to get at his opponents.

Yeah but it's not fake. Mike Tyson is a well established nut job. He's being himself for the most part in the build up to all those fights. He didn't preplan stuff the week of a fight for an extra few thousand PPV buys. There's a difference.

Everything Matchroom is planned to the finest detail.

He didn't preplan stuff the week of a fight

And you have this inside info how?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Well, I watched the fight the other night anyway. I'll confess I didnt realise Haye was carrying an achilles injury untill I read the reports today.

My impressions were that Haye didnt want to be there from very early on. Once he realised he wasn't going to blow Bellew away, his eyes seemed to glaze over and he just gave up. I've seen a lot of commentary of how Haye was very heroic but frankly I was embarassed watching it.

Bellew grew and grew in confidence, and knew Haye was there for the taking. He just tired himself out and couldn't land that killer blow.

Haye should retire for me, but that would be a sad way to end his career.

Bellew has good heart and is tough, but he isn't a particularly skilled fighter and has poor stanima.

And you have this inside info how?

I think one could assume from his life both inside and outside the ring that he's not that calculated in his approach to things..

• Advertisement

I think one could assume from his life both inside and outside the ring that he's not that calculated in his approach to things..

I didn't see him biting anyone's ear in the ring when he was winning.
    Not that much of a nutjob when there was more at stake.

I didn't see him biting anyone's ear in the ring when he was winning.
    Not that much of a nutjob when there was more at stake.

He'd only lost two rounds and was winning the round that the bite took place in tbf.

I don't think biting someone's ear shows high levels of sanity no matter what the current situation is either tbf. He has also admitted to being high on cocaine during many of his important bouts.

Fragile character at the best of times and certainly not an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,625 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That was the veteran Tyson. Post prison. Prime Tyson riled nobody up. He simply walked into the ring and terrorised them. That's why he had such awe and menace. There was nothing but bad intentions, with no frills, heirs and graces or contrived nonsense.

Good to see Haye is okay and pretty positive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRTc-aTBO7i/?taken-by=mrdavidhaye
    mrdavidhaye Back home now chillin' with feet up, after a very successful Achilles reattachment surgery. Strangely after such an action packed fight, I have no aches and pains other then my freshly Reattached Achilles.
    Professor James Frame and Kevin Lidlow are very happy with the outcome of my surgery, and are very confident of a 100% recovery back to full fitness.
    I'm truly overwhelmed with all the positive messages of love and support. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all.
    Time to catch up with family and friends before the rehab programme starts tomorrow night.
    One Love
    The Hayemaker

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't really know why people have an issue with boxers hamming it up. If you don't like the show, don't buy a ticket.

Panto sells. Especially when it comes to fighting. It's why Conor McGregor is very rich.

We all knew he'd inform us of his injury at some stage. His not mentioning it post fight interview was not an act of class and sportsmanship, but actually dishonesty.

walshb wrote: »
    We all knew he'd inform us of his injury at some stage. His not mentioning it post fight interview was not the act of class, but actually dishonesty.

That's a tricky one though. It seems like there is a sort of omerta, that everybody who is part of the Sky product is never to say a negative word against the product. They are all on the payroll so they are all vested interests in portraying the thing as being amazing.

I mean, Bellew surely should have been saying something like "I'm happy with the win, but I didn't want it like this".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

We all knew he'd inform us of his injury at some stage. His not mentioning it post fight interview was not an act of class and sportsmanship, but actually dishonesty.

What.

The.

F*CK???

In his fight with Wlad he had the boot off in the ring, no? To show us the toe? Maybe at the post fight presser.

Maybe not. I can't recall.

Unless his Achilles injury did not affect him in the slightest. But it looked like it really did affect him.

Not just Haye's dishonesty, but Sky themselves. For nobody post fight interview to bring up the elephant in the room is nothing but dishonesty.

• Advertisement

The only way Haye can save face is his coming out publicly to say that the injury had no effect whatsoever on his performance. I am betting that not only does he not, but you will hear how it did affect him, and for him and Sky to keep quiet in the ring when we all knew something was up, that is shenanigans...

Wake up, fellas. And when you do, google "lie by omission."

Not just Haye's dishonesty, but Sky themselves. For nobody post fight interview to bring up the elephant in the room is nothing but dishonesty.

Yeah I think this is fair. Nobody is saying that David Haye was not extremely brave to carry on when he got the injury. I think the issue is that Sky (and all of their employees including Bellew and Haye), may have been less than forthcoming about the state of Haye's achilles before the fight, and were certainly trying to bury the fact that the injury was the turning point of the fight when discussing the fight afterwards. Nobody in Sky wants to say that the emporer has no clothes.

pac_man wrote: »
    Boxers are not in the right frame of mind straight after a fight with a camera and mic shoved in their face. It's up to the interviewer to ask the questions.

I thought he showed great sportsmanship and was very complimentary to Bellew. Had he said, "I would have won that fight but I got injured half way through it", you'd probably accuse him of being unsportsmanlike. The chap can't win either way.

I am looking at this objectively. Both he and Sky were dishonest in not addressing it. It was so bloody obvious.

No way would I have dissed him for bringing up something so bloody obvious.

The issue here is that if he did not address it in the ring then he cannot address it outside the ring. But he has, and you can bet he will make it out that it cost him a chance to win. There lies the dishonesty

I am sick reading about how classy he was not to bring up this injury. It's nothing to do with class. It has to do with addressing what blatantly happened in front of the eyes of the fans and viewers.

BTW, Haye seemed very lucid and relaxed and open in the ring afterwards. Nothing to do with right frame of mind. The interviewer is as bad for not asking the obvious question. Simple: It's deception. It would have been great sportsmanship had he not deliberately failed to mention what happened him in the ring.

Wait for it. When Haye starts talking about how the injury affected his performance, will you then see what I mean?

But, maybe, just maybe the injury did not at all affect Haye. It seems unlikely, but if he comes out and says this, then so be it.

This guy earned millions from this fight. He owes it to the people who paid to explain his performance. Saying nothing yet "saying everything" via his tweets and post on social media doesn't explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If Haye bring up the injury in the post-fight interview, everyone rolls their eyes and thinks 'typical', regardless of how obvious it was.

The interviewer could and should have asked but if Haye brings it up, people will give out about him bringing it up.

If Haye bring up the injury in the post-fight interview, everyone rolls their eyes and thinks 'typical', regardless of how obvious it was.

The interviewer could and should have asked but if Haye brings it up, people will give out about him bringing it up.

Some will. Some won't. I certainly would not. The fact that it was such an obvious injury, I would think it more odd that he did not bring it up. He can be complimentary and sportsmanlike whilst also being fully honest and truthful and inclusive of the facts.

But like I said, if he comes out and says that the injury did not at all affect his performance then he gets somewhat of a pass from me. However, one would have to think that he is telling fibs, either that or he just turned to mush from rd 6 onwards

I agree about the interviewer. Shambles.

That was the veteran Tyson. Post prison. Prime Tyson riled nobody up. He simply walked into the ring and terrorised them. That's why he had such awe and menace. There was nothing but bad intentions, with no frills, heirs and graces or contrived nonsense.
    I said Bellew riles his opponents.
    I mentioned the others as an example of fighers who's build ups were, let's say no harm to ticket sales.
    I'm not disputing Tyson was an animal but if anyone thinks that wasn'tused to sell tickets,well that's a bit naive imo.

Anthony Joshua comes along and seems like a nice lad and is always respectful to other fighters and people start saying stuff like 'oh,I'm not buying his fake nice man act' or that he is dull and has no personality.
    Then when other fighters start throwing tables or whatever, the same people are moaning.

And the thing is,some of the people moaning are the ones that like to point out that they are the hard core fans and the casuals are fools.
    Yet they'll stream the fight for free and moan about that too.
    How about just not watch the fight if it's all such a big circus??

I'm not disputing Tyson was an animal but if anyone thinks that wasn'tused to sell tickets,well that's a bit naive imo.

Of course he was used. But he himself, his natural persona and presence sold the tickets. Very little had to be done. His look alone was the seller, and of course, his ring performances and fighting style, all natural and not at all embellished. That's a bit different than what I believe you are trying to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is no way he takes any major flak from simply acknowledging his lack of mobility in there hampered him, he didn't have to say "Oh I'd have won if it were not for the injury"

The injury was plainly obvious to anybody watching, by completely ignoring it he is being dishonest, to say that was him at 100% was blatantly a lie and then to start using the injury, his team were mentioning it within 24 hours of the fight as an excuse, and now him with his social media, which is only the beginning of this excuse believe me, I can't see how anybody can fail to spot the con job.

Even when he does start speaking bluntly about how the injury cost him the fight, it will be spun to try make him look heroic, that he didn't want to let the fans down who paid that hard earned money, that he felt like he could still get the job done but sadly it just wasn't to be.....next time though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

There is no way he takes any major flak from simply acknowledging his lack of mobility in there hampered him, he didn't have to say "Oh I'd have won if it were not for the injury"

The injury was plainly obvious to anybody watching, by completely ignoring it he is being dishonest, to say that was him at 100% was blatantly a lie and then to start using the injury, his team were mentioning it within 24 hours of the fight as an excuse, and now him with his social media, which is only the beginning of this excuse believe me, I can't see how anybody can fail to spot the con job.

Even when he does start speaking bluntly about how the injury cost him the fight, it will be spun to try make him look heroic, that he didn't want to let the fans down who paid that hard earned money, that he felt like he could still get the job done but sadly it just wasn't to be.....next time though!

Well I am glad that I am not the only one to see this as the con it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Haye went straight to hospital. Froch was non stop mentioning it during the fight & it was mentioned after the fight numerous times.

Also Haye providing an update after getting surgery is not a big deal as you are trying to make it out to be.

Advertisement