Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 11 | Hostiles and Calamities [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Scraggs wrote: »
    That cracked me up!

I thought the exchange between Dwight and Eugene at the end of the episode was hinting at the pair playing the long game and waiting for their opportunity... or have I read too much into it?
    potentially so, but they havn't discussed it yet have they.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Fox Hound wrote: »
    Neagan Does know that Dwight is up to something....Thats why he said that if his wife turns up...then Dwight will have the other side of his face burned off.....he just needed to make an example of someone for Eugene's sake as Eugene is the new "toy" to play with.....and the doctor was less effort than Dwight...Plus killing Dwight could have more backlash within the group....Neagan also looks like a guy that probably gets board easily and playing these mind games seem to humor him alot....
    but but is 100% sure Eugene is a doctor?
    well its up to Eugene to keep convincing him he is....otherwise Eugene will get the Bat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyone else think Eugene is genuinely team Negan at the moment? I don't think it'll last, but I do think he's sold on the idea. He's getting more than he had in Alexandria and is also getting recognition while being kept safe.

That's what I thought at first but his conversation with the guy with the burnt face looked to me like he was sounding him out. Wonder will he use his "intelligence" to subvert negan's followers from within

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

but but is 100% sure Eugene is a doctor?

On this point - isn't the "other Dr Carson" the doctor at the Hilltop place where Maggie is? I figure Neegan will send a deputation to march in and take him. Which means that if Daryl is there...

On this point - isn't the "other Dr Carson" the doctor at the Hilltop place where Maggie is? I figure Neegan will send a deputation to march in and take him. Which means that if Daryl is there...
    I was confused by that, he gestured at Eugene so I just thought Eugenes surname was Carson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Am I reading too much in to Eugene's description of his work before the apocalypse? Could it come it eventually that their work created the virus and he knows he can't cure it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Am I reading too much in to Eugene's description of his work before the apocalypse? Could it come it eventually that their work created the virus and he knows he can't cure it?

You have missed a few seasons, yeah...........

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

It was revealed previously that Eugene is an exceptionally good liar and has used the lines he fed Negan, regarding his experience in working with pathogens, before in order to manipulate people and increase their need to protect him.

Eugene spouted that stuff about the genome project in the past, basically to secure protection of his "special knowledge" from people more bad-ass than him. It's all part of his character - his ability (and willingness) to lie to get other people to protect him. He came clean eventually to Rick's group.

I don't think he has PHds coming out of his backside either, he's just a really-well read nerd trying to survive the apocalypse.

On this point -
    isn't the "other Dr Carson" the doctor at the Hilltop place where Maggie is? I figure Neegan will send a deputation to march in and take him.
    Which means that if Daryl is there...

may want to throw a big fat spoiler on this as, as far as I am aware at this stage, this isn't non-comic reader knowledge and is a twist. i could be wrong though, but I am pretty sure it hasn't been revealed yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

may want to throw a big fat spoiler on this as, as far as I am aware at this stage, this isn't non-comic reader knowledge and is a twist. i could be wrong though, but I am pretty sure it hasn't been revealed yet.

It's pretty common knowledge that there is a doctor at the Hilltop, it's where they spent the whole last episode of the last season, and the first episode this season, trying to get to. Haven't a clue what his name is though, much like I've no idea what the doctor in the furnace's name was, nor what Eugene's surname is.

Not a bad episode. But I wonder if Neagan really is that short sighted and stupid. They find one little note in the doctor's office, and for that he's burned to death. Really stupid to kill someone that important. Why does Neagan keep trusting Dwight when Dwight keeps failing him and letting him down? It's just lazy writing in order to serve some future plot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Enjoyed the episode, and Im a bit short for time at the minute so can't get out a detailedpost for why, but I am pretty sure Neagan is aware all is not right with "Dwighty boy" but he feels secure, and confident in handling whatever he has up his sleeve and is wanting to see how it plays out right now.

There have surely been tests of his leadership before and he has plenty of confidence in his abilities to maintain control.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Enjoyed the episode, and Im a bit short for time at the minute so can't get out a detailedpost for why, but I am pretty sure Neagan is aware all is not right with "Dwighty boy" but he feels secure, and confident in handling whatever he has up his sleeve and is wanting to see how it plays out right now.

There have surely been tests of his leadership before and he has plenty of confidence in his abilities to maintain control.
    might the doctor actually have helpd dwights wife to escape?

and dwight wants him dead partly because he enable negan's sex slavery and reminds him of it.

its not really a spoiler its logical conclusion of him referencing Dr Carson.

its not really a spoiler its logical conclusion of him referencing Dr Carson.

I would be willing to wager that this was something non comic readers didn't cop on to though. I couldn't give a damn but it 's reveal leads to a big moment next week which would have surprised many. I'm not trying to play the good guy here, I just think a spoiler is a spoiler so let's leave it at that!!

Just explaining why I feel a spoiler was necessary but I'm not telling you off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Dr. Carson introduced himself to Maggie when examining her and Gregory or Jesus (possibly both) have spoken about him using his name so it's not a spoiler. I don't read the comics and tbh I'm fairly dense and I picked up on it :)

Ah, fair enough. It played out differently in the comics anyway, ie the burning furnace scene didn't happen so it will make for something different, plot development wise!

I would be willing to wager that this was something non comic readers didn't cop on to though. I couldn't give a damn but it 's reveal leads to a big moment next week which would have surprised many. I'm not trying to play the good guy here, I just think a spoiler is a spoiler so let's leave it at that!!

Just explaining why I feel a spoiler was necessary but I'm not telling you off!

Hmm, I don't read the comics. Now you seem to be suggesting my wild speculation is actually gonna happen next week, and since you're familiar with the comic books, then - yeah - you need to spoiler that :rolleyes:

Hmm, I don't read the comics. Now you seem to be suggesting my wild speculation is actually gonna happen next week, and since you're familiar with the comic books, then - yeah - you need to spoiler that :rolleyes:

I already said that the comic went down a different route......so it is impossible for me to spoiler it!
    What I was saying was moreso about the relationship of the 2 guys which had not been revealed on the show yet you seemed to be sure of it -giving me good reason to think you were a comic reader- It is is revealed next week/week after and I thought it wouldn't do any harm to spoiler it.
    As I said I wasn't having a go, so no need to roll the eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Must be my love of zonbies that keeps me watchig this but Walking Dead has been ****e for a while.

That fučkin horror episode with Negan (was it the first episode?) was one of the most traumatic things i've ever seen. Even worse with a hangover. But it's continued to be ****ty.

Fear the Walking Dead had something to it in Season 1 but that went a bit ****ty too.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Must be my love of zonbies that keeps me watchig this but Walking Dead has been ****e for a while.

That fučkin horror episode with Negan (was it the first episode?) was one of the most traumatic things i've ever seen. Even worse with a hangover. But it's continued to be ****ty.

Fear the Walking Dead had something to it in Season 1 but that went a bit ****ty too.

I think they have suffered from not being allowed to deviate too much from the comics which went all crazy at this point. There are also far too many characters/groups at the moment. That is why,
    when they all join up and go to war against the Saviours, the episodes should be epic
    . So stick with it.
    You almost forget it is a zombie show sometimes at the moment also! Well, effectively, it isn't but maybe that is what was such a huge appealing factor at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Ive always religiously kept into the walking dead from day one but recently ive started slipping, leaving it and putting it on the long finger.

I always accepted it for what it was, a good show (still is), nothing spectacular but a fun ride that was always interesting, something you could park your brain away and just watch for the crack, but at the same time it always maintained some form of realism that kept me interested and serious.

Lately however its just getting ridiculous, the first and biggest problem for me is Ezekiel and the kingdom, that arc is really doing my head in. Its just so bad that I dont even no where to begin, the way he looks, talks, acts, that stupid tiger, his followers and they way they talk and act everything, everything about him and that arc is terrible. Its actually putting me off watching the show its that bad.

Secondly Negan and his crew all be it to a lesser extent, his shtick is too much at times, just not believable, the wives, the kneeling down, I just dont buy it. Too corny.

And now this new group seem to be cut from the same cloth, the comics are not transferring over to TV well at this stage imo, you could get away with some of this stuff in the comics but not TV, its just getting laughable at present, it'll probably only get worse to be honest.

Also that scene where he f*cked your man into the flames...where were the screams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^Yeah, I know it's based on a comic book so some of it is going to be "cartoonish" in a way, but they still have to ground it in reality to make it believable, and the reality is that it's only been maybe 2/3 years since the Zombocalypse - it is simply not enough time for the world to turn so Mad Max-ish. Give it a couple of generations, and I would believe that premise more. I know that the survivors are scared and willing to believe things, and maybe do things, that they would never have thought they would pre-SHTF, but seriously: the kneeling, and the savagery, and Ezekiel and the tiger, and the junkyard/Bartertown-ers, and the Winslow...in my eyes, the only believable groups is Ricks - a group of survivors who will do whatever it takes to survive, but are still normal human beings and not a parody of humanity in this new world that is only just learning to cope with what has happened.

Disclaimer: yes I know it's just a tv show :D:D

Ive always religiously kept into the walking dead from day one but recently ive started slipping, leaving it and putting it on the long finger.

I always accepted it for what it was, a good show (still is), nothing spectacular but a fun ride that was always interesting, something you could park your brain away and just watch for the crack, but at the same time it always maintained some form of realism that kept me interested and serious.

Lately however its just getting ridiculous, the first and biggest problem for me is Ezekiel and the kingdom, that arc is really doing my head in. Its just so bad that I dont even no where to begin, the way he looks, talks, acts, that stupid tiger, his followers and they way they talk and act everything, everything about him and that arc is terrible. Its actually putting me off watching the show its that bad.

Secondly Negan and his crew all be it to a lesser extent, his shtick is too much at times, just not believable, the wives, the kneeling down, I just dont buy it. Too corny.

And now this new group seem to be cut from the same cloth, the comics are not transferring over to TV well at this stage imo, you could get away with some of this stuff in the comics but not TV, its just getting laughable at present, it'll probably only get worse to be honest.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    ^Yeah, I know it's based on a comic book so some of it is going to be "cartoonish" in a way, but they still have to ground it in reality to make it believable, and the reality is that it's only been maybe 2/3 years since the Zombocalypse - it is simply not enough time for the world to turn so Mad Max-ish. Give it a couple of generations, and I would believe that premise more. I know that the survivors are scared and willing to believe things, and maybe do things, that they would never have thought they would pre-SHTF, but seriously: the kneeling, and the savagery, and Ezekiel and the tiger, and the junkyard/Bartertown-ers, and the Winslow...in my eyes, the only believable groups is Ricks - a group of survivors who will do whatever it takes to survive, but are still normal human beings and not a parody of humanity in this new world that is only just learning to cope with what has happened.

Disclaimer: yes I know it's just a tv show :D:D

In fairness, if it was real life, I'd expect things to turn mad maxish very quick :O

It did get stupid though.

If it was real life, I might expect it to get bad, but probably wouldnt expect a guy to have a pet tiger and speak in horrible Ye Olde English like he was something from Medeival Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've officially become blaise to the whole thing, I never watch the episodes when they're on, I record them and sometimes get to watch them eventually over the course of the week (last night for this weeks episode) or not at all (still haven't seen Rick in the Thunderdome episode).

Every now and then there's something decent, I really liked the Dwight storyline, it reminds you, that right now there are better characters existing outside the core group. But for each time there's a chink of light like that, you can be sure as shít the next scene will have Negan do the "lean back on his heels and bend his knees" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It did get stupid though.

If it was real life, I might expect it to get bad, but probably wouldnt expect a guy to have a pet tiger and speak in horrible Ye Olde English like he was something from Medeival Times.

He explained that to Carol in a previous episode and went out of character. I found the group with their own minimalist language and formation marching more annoying, they'd gone full Mad Max very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Actually I think you just spoiled it way worse! I haven't got too far in the comics so may as well call myself a non comic reader!
    When I read the original post I was like 'oh ok...', it barely registered! But from your insistance that it's a big spoiler I can give a guess & it's got me thinking WAY more than the original comment... just saying...

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    He explained that to Carol in a previous episode and went out of character. I found the group with their own minimalist language and formation marching more annoying, they'd gone full Mad Max very quickly.

That doesnt make it any less retarded.

'Carol, these people need a King, so I will be their King'. With my Lion.

As a previous poster pointed out, they should have taken inspiration from the comics, not dogmatically followed them to the detriment of the show. Consider Game of Thrones - its based massively on the book butnis notnafraid to depart from them where neccesary.

Advertisement