Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Chivito550 wrote: »
    That's a question I meant to ask too. As a country we enjoy watching tennis, more so than many sports that we have actually succeeded in. Why does this interest not get translated to success on court?

I remember this being discussed in a previous thread before, and I think the consensus was pretty much due to a lack of interest in the sport in this country. There really isn't much beyond the two weeks of Wimbledon. Lots of other factors contribute as well such as lack of facilities, extremely expensive tennis club membership etc. Another big one is the poor weather in Ireland means that most tennis courts in this country are Savanna. These play extremely fast and are totally unrepresentative of most of the surfaces in other countries, meaning that the few who do try to make it as a pro player in Ireland find it difficult to cope with the physicality of the game when they travel abroad.

I'm sure we will have a player some day who'll make some waves, we're pretty much the only Western European country to make zero impact on the sport in recent decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suspect that a lot of sports people with good hand eye co-ordination will end up playing either hurling or golf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

That's a question I meant to ask too. As a country we enjoy watching tennis, more so than many sports that we have actually succeeded in. Why does this interest not get translated to success on court?

You think ?
    Most Irish people I meet couldn't give a hoot about tennis.
    It's also a rich mans sport in Ireland - clubs are very cliquey and closed to outsiders (execeptions of course - like Mt Pleasant - great club)

Have silly rules like whites only - absolute nonsense, non marking soles should be the only request.

99% of courts are Savannah - is this good for an aspiring pro to practice on ?

Get a few decent tennis centers built with indoor hard courts ... with the odd clay/grass court.

Govt can part fund it, there's plenty of money for other sports centers.

Did I see St. Annes in Raheny are removing some courts to put up astro turf 5 aside football pitches ?
    I could be wrong here, but if it's true is it any wonder ?
    one of the few decent public courts we have and being replaced ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You think ?
    Most Irish people I meet couldn't give a hoot about tennis.
    It's also a rich mans sport in Ireland - clubs are very cliquey and closed to outsiders (execeptions of course - like Mt Pleasant - great club)

Have silly rules like whites only - absolute nonsense, non marking soles should be the only request.

99% of courts are Savannah - is this good for an aspiring pro to practice on ?

Get a few decent tennis centers built with indoor hard courts ... with the odd clay/grass court.

Govt can part fund it, there's plenty of money for other sports centers.

Did I see St. Annes in Raheny are removing some courts to put up astro turf 5 aside football pitches ?
    I could be wrong here, but if it's true is it any wonder ?
    one of the few decent public courts we have and being replaced ...

Any chance the tennis authorities could push for indoor tennis centres out at the National Indoor Arena complex in Abbotstown? There's a new 200m banked indoor athletics track, gymnastics arena, National Aquatic Centre, they are about to start building a cycling velodrome and a full sized indoor rugby pitch. There's other stuff out there too. If Tennis Ireland has any ambition should they not be looking to be part of this?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Got a nice email this afternoon; an offer of Wimbledon centre court tickets for the women's semi finals :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Got a nice email this afternoon; an offer of Wimbledon centre court tickets for the women's semi finals

From the Wimbledon ballot?

Yup! Very early too, I thought it's usually around March before they're rolled out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Does this count as news? :p:p:p

etxlko.jpg

Stupid Wilson and their cash grabs.........I may have to buy a couple :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Sky and Discovery have come to an agreement so Eurosport stays with the Sky package.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Does this count as news? :p:p:p

etxlko.jpg

Stupid Wilson and their cash grabs.........I may have to buy a couple :pac:

Nice stick - small head on it tho, but a great sweetspot id imagine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Anyone else been having tennis withdrawals this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone else been having tennis withdrawals this week?

I'm still sort of in a daze at both Federer winning his 18th slam after a 5 year drought and the quality of his tennis in Australia.

What stood out more than anything was the accuracy and precision and power on his BH. I always felt that he got overly criticised for this shot. The reason being that he was so damn good in all areas that people had to pick some weakness. The truth is that his BH on form is better than anyone's in history.

You always here about Gasquet's and Stan's BHs. But that is as much to do with the fact that it's their real weapon as opposed to it being the best. Both very good, but not as good as Roger's. Roger doesn't have a real weapon. His presence and genius is his weapon. Their BHs are a little too predictable and deliberate and "forced." Roger's just happens. Just flows effortlessly. It is a deadlier shot

The final score was close, but a bit flattering to Nadal. Nadal threw everything he had, and was very very brilliant. It just shows how good Roger was. I can only think of a peak Nole being a winner against Sunday's Federer, but I am not convinced he beats Roger.

Am I back to being as big a Fed fan as years gone by? No. But my already massive view on his greatness as a tennis player has gotten a little more massive. No doubt that he is the GOAT as regards ability with a racquet. Nobody close.

Take Johnny Mac who is lauded as being a genius. Tennis wise looks ugly and boring when compared to Roger.

Nice stick - small head on it tho, but a great sweetspot id imagine!!

Best stick ever made IMO. Nothing serves better that's for sure. I own 2! :pac:
    walshb wrote: »
    Take Johnny Mac who is lauded as being a genius. Tennis wise looks ugly and boring when compared to Roger.

Mac has incredible skill with a racket, what planet are you on?! Just looks ugly because it's all natural talent; you can't teach that.

Best hands ever IMO. Plus an uncanny ability to read people. He is a genius............He's an idiot but he's a genius.

Mac has incredible skill with a racket, what planet are you on?! Just looks ugly because it's all natural talent; you can't teach that.

Best hands ever IMO. Plus an uncanny ability to read people. He is a genius............He's an idiot but he's a genius.

With the ugliest ground strokes in history!

Next to Fed he looks as dull as dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Davis cup this weekend. Just watching Evans play some young Canadian guy, a lefties with a one handed back hand. He looks handy good backhand but Evans has too much for him.

No Murray or Raonic in this tie.

Nice, I used to have a pro staff 6.1 ... lovely sweetspot, but too many mis hits for my liking - you must play at a decent level ?
    you have a USTA ranking ?

at best I play at 4.5 ...

you must play at a decent level ?

LOL, no just club level.
    you have a USTA ranking ?

How would I have an American ranking in Ireland? :pac:

LOL, no just club level.

How would I have an American ranking in Ireland? :pac:

Its the only decent global ranking system...

Big drama at Fed Cup tonight, Denis Shapovalov defaulted for hitting chair umpire with the ball. Gave him a fine thump too!

• Advertisement

Big drama at Fed Cup tonight, Denis Shapovalov defaulted for hitting chair umpire with the ball. Gave him a fine thump too!

Oh man I just saw it there! Hahahaha :D 12K fine seems a bit much though.....

At least it wasn't as bad as poor Edberg did way back :(

Oh man I just saw it there! Hahahaha :D 12K fine seems a bit much though.....

At least it wasn't as bad as poor Edberg did way back :(

When you take this into account, I think the 12K is more than justified.

Video here of the incident.

Just an unfortunate incident all round, and hopefully Shapovalov will learn from it.

No way is taking 12k from a young lad trying to make his way on the challenger tour justified. He didn't even mean it!

We've all thrown balls/rackets in the past. You can't help it sometimes.

No way is taking 12k from a young lad trying to make his way on the challenger tour justified. He didn't even mean it!

Didn't mean it? That has eff all to do with it. He did a very stupid and dangerous thing and he's lucky he didn't get a lifetime ban....

It's definitely justified, he got off very lightly, and he's very lucky he didn't get a ban. The umpire had to have surgery!

https://twitter.com/tomtebbutt/status/830626674588975104

It's definitely justified, he got off very lightly, and he's very lucky he didn't get a ban. The umpire had to have surgery!

https://twitter.com/tomtebbutt/status/830626674588975104

Jesus ! didn't realize it was so bad :(

I feel sorry for the player though, it was a clear accident.

He can learn from this.

Yep, all things considered Shapovalov got off very lightly indeed.

Really pleased to see Dimitrov and Zverev win titles over the weekend. This is impressive:
    https://twitter.com/YoungTennisGuns/status/830796534430175232

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Looks to me like he smashed it in the general direction of the umpire with zero consideration of the consequences. Should be banned for as long as it takes Gabas to get back umpiring.

Sinéad Kissane getting panned on Twitter for this silly article she wrote about Serena Williams
    https://twitter.com/sineadkissane/status/832890830293762048

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I rolled my eyes so hard reading that. Trying to make a story out of nothing. Why not bring this up the first time Serena posed for the magazine? Or write the article about the other female players who appeared? If Serena posing in her swimsuit "sabotages the equality battle" then we haven't come very far.

Advertisement