Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Murray just won a 2nd set tie-break 20-18 against Kohlschreiber, saving seven match points!

Kohlschreiber can be a right handful when he's at it...

First ever meeting between djokovic and kyrgios next in mexico, which might be interesting. djokovic not really firing on all cylinders, but seems to be at least somewhat interested in playing tennis.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Kyrgios downs Djokovic in straight sets, didn't see it but big serving from the Aussie apparently. Must admit I have a soft spot for him despite his antics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Nadal shocked by Querrey in the Acapulco final, has now lost his last seven hard court finals

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nadal shocked by Querrey in the Acapulco final, has now lost his last seven hard court finals

Ouch, didn't realise he'd lost that many. A bad loss but I'm happy for Querrey, he seems like a nice guy.

First title for Ashleigh Barty in Malaysia. Some comeback considering she was playing cricket not too long ago.

Federer, nadal and Djokovic all in the same QUARTER of the draw in Indian wells, Del potro also in that quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Federer, nadal and Djokovic all in the same QUARTER of the draw in Indian wells, Del potro also in that quarter.

It's a good draw for Murray!

It's a good draw for Murray!

Yeah, Djokovic defending 1000 points here too whereas Murray only defending 45, has a chance to open a big lead in the rankings...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kyrgios and Zverev in there too! Could be some great matches. Good luck defending those points Djokovic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Kyrgios and Zverev also in the quarter. Most stacked section I've seen in a while.

Serena has pulled out of Indian Wells and Miami due to knee injury. Kerber will be back to #1. Also back.....the ridiculous "Kerber isn't a real #1/she doesn't deserve it etc" chatter online. Ugh, spare me!:rolleyes:

RosyLily wrote: »
    Kyrgios and Zverev also in the quarter. Most stacked section I've seen in a while.

Serena has pulled out of Indian Wells and Miami due to knee injury. Kerber will be back to #1. Also back.....the ridiculous "Kerber isn't a real #1/she doesn't deserve it etc" chatter online. Ugh, spare me!:rolleyes:

Agreed, Kerber has a slam to her name, so she deserves the #1 ranking. Hasn't played like a #1 this year though, she needs a good March. With no Serena, Azarenka, Sharapova or Kvitova to contend against it's not like she's up against it.

• Advertisement

RosyLily wrote: »

45 slams in one quarter, if I counted that right...

Murray beaten in IW by Pospisil, fake No 1 ;)

Quite a lot has been said over the last week about Sharapova's impending Stuttgart return and possible RG wildcard (click on the tweets for more info)

Kerber got the ball rolling
    https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/839611198022672384

Tsonga
    https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/839636474370760704

Wozniacki the most scathing so far
    https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/840687716350095360

Murray, Pliskova, Halep and Cornet have all spoken out against her too. Venus, oddly, seems to be giving her a chance. Kuznetsova and some other Russians are literally the only ones I've seen defending her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Wozniacki the most scathing so far
    In fairness though, Wozniacki's problem doesn't seem to be with Sharapova getting wildcards, it's specifically with her getting to enter a tournament that starts while she is still banned. I agree with Wozniacki on that score. Waiting until the Wednesday to play a first round match makes it very tough to win the tournament. While Sharapova might be okay with that, it is very unfair to her opponent to be forced into it.
    I have a pet peeve with that as I've organised a number of opens here, and the amount of people who try to enter and put down that they are unavailable for several days, but say that they don't mind being scheduled to play twice in one day really annoys me. They have no respect for their opponents who would also have to play twice in one day if they win due to the selfishness to the entrant. Needless to say, I never accept those entries, but I can see exactly where Wozniacki is coming from by calling it disrespectful to the other players when they are forced into unfair schedules just to accommodate someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nike are really pushing their sponsored players loyalty making them wear that crap looking green outfit they are wearing in Indian wells.

That is some loss by Berdych in Indian Wells to Nishioka.  Berdych won the first set 6-1 and was 5-1 up in the second set, he lost that set on tie break 7-5 and then lost the third set 6-4.  Berdych hasn't been great so far this year,  usually you would be expecting him to beat the Nishioka's of the world but he is really struggling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Victoria Azarenka has announced michael Joyce as her new coach. Looks like she will be back relatively quickly.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Victoria Azarenka has announced michael Joyce as her new coach. Looks like she will be back relatively quickly.

Aiming to be back for the US Open, so it's likely she'll play the warm up events too. I'm guessing Stanford will be her first tournament back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Djokovic looked really impressive in his win v Del Potro ...

Maybe he can return to his former great self ..

Well done Nicholas :cool:

• Advertisement

Rog destroys Rafa with a barrage of winners, absolutely sublime stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Rog destroys Rafa with a barrage of winners, absolutely sublime stuff

Wow !! 62 63 ... good stuff ... and Krygios beats Đoković again :O

Maybe he will be his bogey player, he's never beaten him ..

Damn it just when I thought Đoković was back ..

Wow !! 62 63 ... good stuff ... and Krygios beats Đoković again :O

Maybe he will be his bogey player, he's never beaten him ..

Damn it just when I thought Đoković was back ..

I think the del potro match was a bit misleading, del potro wasnt all that great and djokovic was pretty ok.

losing one of his first service games against krygios wasnt the best idea, i think it was the only break of serve in the match and basically decided it (tie breaks are always 50/50 chance)

having seen bits of him in the past couple of months, his serve isnt as good as it once was, and his returning isnt quite as sharp..which leads me to think he isnt quite putting in the hard yards on the training ground that he used to (this makes sense given his apparent lack of motivation, letting becker go, etc..)
    im not entirely sure we will see him win another slam, lack of practice (or whatever) is making his performances too uneven..and the fear factor is well and truly gone at this stage..

Kyrgios obviously dosent care who is across the net in any case and twill be interesting to see how he goes against Federer. Hats off to him and I would love him to round out a few of those rough edges and make a right go of it in the next couple of years. it would be nice to be able to enjoy his tennis without thinking 'yeah, but hes a bit of a w*&k%r'

Krygios pulls out Indian wells with an illness. I was looking forward to seeing his match with Federer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floppybits wrote: »
    Krygios pulls out Indian wells with an illness. I was looking forward to seeing his match with Federer.

Me too. Food poisoning they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Same here. Both were playing really well; could have been a good match.

Looking forward to Pliskova-Kuznetsova SF. Would definitely not have picked Vesnina and Mladenovic as the other semi-finalists!

Fascinating interview with Maria Sharapova, even if it was heavily biased in her favour. It's probably the most human she's even been portrayed imo, in most of her interviews she's portrayed as quite sterile and corporate.

Very disappointed that we didn't get to see Kyrgios-Federer, I hope Nick's reason was genuine and not because he was playing basketball on xbox or something. I'm assuming Fed will make the final, and whoever he plays I'm sure will get a nice, respectful, balanced Indian Wells crowd...

Mladenovic posting some really strong results this year, surprised she's only 23 too, feels like she's been around a while. Hoping Pliskova can take the title though.

Looking forward to this all Swiss final.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SS1 now. In play. Rooting for Federer. Since Australia I'm a fan again.

• Advertisement

Proper tennis this. Great seeing 2 players come out swinging instead of the marathon grinding matches we have got of the last few years.

Advertisement