Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Sounds like it was a great match between Vesnina and Kuznetsova! First Premier title for Vesnina. I think she'll be up to a career high ranking of 13(?) on Monday.

IW title #5 for Federer after straight sets win over Wawrinka. Sky apologised for Stan's profanity.:p

https://twitter.com/ReemAbulleil/status/843602980079353859

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Onto to Miami now.  Should be interesting to see if Federer can take this title as well.  Hopefully Kyrgios doesn't get poisoned and Del Potro can go on a run. It was great to see the tennis that Fed and Stan played last night. I'd say the balls were dead by the time the ball change came round with the way they were hitting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Djokovic out now too ... http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/39323076

I like the BBC saying about Murray will extend his lead even more since Djokovic will lose points by not defending this.

:D right now there is only one #1 - Roger Federer .

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What's with these fooking grown men crying like sissies?

walshb wrote: »
    What's with these fooking grown men crying like sissies?

Snowflakes.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic out now too ... http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/39323076

I like the BBC saying about Murray will extend his lead even more since Djokovic will lose points by not defending this.

:D right now there is only one #1 - Roger Federer .

Right now there is only one #1; the world #1 Andy Murray :)

Right now there is only one #1; the world #1 Andy Murray :)

Yes, but right now the true form player is Roger, can't deny it ...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes, but right now the true form player is Roger, can't deny it ...

Oh I know that, but let's not try and recreate facts either.

Ffs just realise I've been talking to the_monkey :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Oh I know that, but let's not try and recreate facts either.
    Well, he's number 1 in "the Race" :D

Looking forward to Del Potro against Federer this evening, hopefully neither of them get food poisoning.  It will be interesting to see the Kyrgios/Karlovic match.
    Since the ladies is on BT Sports I haven't really been following them but 2 of the match ups today stand out, Muguruza and Wozniacki. I would expect Muguruza to have too much fire power for Wozniacki and to come through that match.  The second one is Halep against Stosur,  again I would expect Halep to come through but you never know what could happen is Stosur turns up.
    I didn't get to see the Nadal/Kohlschreiber match yesterday but what happened in the first set, was it a case of Nadal not coming out of the locker room or was it Kohlschreiber just having a out of body experience and being unplayable. When was the last time Nadal dropped a set without winning a game?

• Advertisement

Should be a good game Federer Del Potro ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Floppybits wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the Nadal/Kohlschreiber match yesterday but what happened in the first set, was it a case of Nadal not coming out of the locker room or was it Kohlschreiber just having a out of body experience and being unplayable. When was the last time Nadal dropped a set without winning a game?
    It was a bit of both, Kohli with some unreal returning and Nadal with numerous UEs. Predictably Kohli imploded once he thought he could actually win, and Nadal showed some flashes of the old form. His last bagel was against Berdych in the '15 Oz Q-final.

Wawrinka beaten by Zverev. Couple of interesting quarter finals now.
    Federer vs Byrdech - I would expect Federer to win this.
    Nadal vs Sock -  I will go for Nadal here, I expect him to have a little bit more guile than Sock but wouldn't be shocked to see Sock win.
    Fognini vs Nishikori - It all depends on what Fognini turns up and what bit of Nishikori is broken this week.
    Kyrgios vs Zverev - For me this is the tie of the quarter finals.  Hopefully Kyrgios doesn't get food poisoning. For me Kyrgios wins but only just.

Maybe Zverev can show some balls , only 19 and looking like a true true future.

Tennis needs it.

No male players born in the 1990s have won a slam yet ... shocking

old news but not been posted ...

Fed pulls another one out of the fire, saving 2 MPs v Berdych.

Nadal playing Fognini in the semi .... what a joke, hes not had one tough opponent in the whole tournament ...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hoping Fed gets through to meet Nadal on Sunday. Tennis seriously revitalised if we get more Fed-Nadal matches..

walshb wrote: »
    Hoping Fed gets through to meet Nadal on Sunday. Tennis seriously revitalised if we get more Fed-Nadal matches..
    Last night's Kyrgios-Zverev qf was highly entertaining to be fair, there could be some great future battles between these two if they stay on the rails.

This Federer-Kyrgios match is fun. The pro-Fed American crowd are being as classy as you'd expect :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Really enjoyed the first set, and setting up to be close run second too. What was the crowd reaction that was not classy? I only heard a reaction after Kyrgios broke his racket.

Really enjoyed the first set, and setting up to be close run second too. What was the crowd reaction that was not classy? I only heard a reaction after Kyrgios broke his racket.

They were cheering his unforced errors and double faults long before any racquet smashes. The universal Federer adulation never fails to make me cringe.

Can't say I've noticed, but pretty engrossed in the match. Nothing egregious for me though. I'd love to see this go to a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Federer squeaks through in as close a three setter as you could get. Very impressive effort from Kyrgios, guy looks to have finally gotten a hold of some very damaging demons. I know he still smashes the racket and bellows expletives the odd time but then again so does Murray, his talent could very well shine through yet. I will say I didnt find his showboating against Zverev all that impressive. I know Fed and Novak have done things like that before but it was far too forced and antagonistic. I'd like to root for the guy but he makes it hard some times.

As for Federer, I haven't posted about tennis since the Wimbledon semi against Raonic last year, I think I may have said something along the lines of Fed being done as far as slams and major titles go. I'm still stunned how wrong I was, happily though. The guy's been sensational this year, to win Australia like he did, in 5 sets against Nadal of all people and to then continue on winning Indian Wells without dropping a set, in all my fanboy dreams I don't think I could have imagined such things. I'll happily admit I'm a Federer fan, have been for well over a decade, but my god the man is relentless, how he even has the drive to win things for the fourth or fifth time is incredible.

So another Fedal final, what all the neutrals wanted I suppose, haven't seen much of Nadal in this tournament but he's also having a real comeback year, Djokovic and Murray will have to seriously up their game, been woeful this year so far. Fed's been pushed all the way in Miami three times now, Bautista and Berdych gave him some serious frights and Kyrgios could have very easily won that match, still though its Federer, he's defied us before so no surprises if he wins Sunday. Nadal will be desperate to revenge two consecutive defeats though so should be a great match one way or the other.

It was an absolutely fantastic match, right from the get go you could see both were up for it and hard to see the final topping it.

Epic match and the same level should be enough to defeat Nadal, assuming he can recover physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Looks like Federer found the key to defeat Nadal. Impressive return from both of them but Federer just amazes me. His backhand is just phenomenal. How did he manage to improve it up to that level at his age?! It's baffling!

iroced wrote: »
    Looks like Federer found the key to defeat Nadal. Impressive return from both of them but Federer just amazes me. His backhand is just phenomenal. How did he manage to improve it up to that level at his age?! It's baffling!
    He now completely reversed Nadal's mental grip over him, at 35!! Is this some kind of parallel universe or what :P

Fantastic

• Advertisement

Federer will take a break till the French Open - wise move.

Advertisement