Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options
  • 30-12-2016 4:20am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Qualies already underway so time to start the new thread.

Most of top players playing this week, WTA side are playing in Brisbane, Auckland and Shenzhen, whilst ATP are playing in Brisbane, Doha and Chennai. There's Hopman cup as well, of course. Don't think I'm even gonna attempt to make any predictions, after 2016 it's just too unpredictable.

Here's hoping to an excellent season!

2017 WTA Tour
    2017 ATP Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Laura Robson begins her year with a loss in Auckland qualies. Loses to Tereza Martincová in a third set tiebreaker after having three match points. Not a terrible loss, but not a great start either.

I feel this is a big year for Laura, if she doesn't start to make some serious headway I fear she never will again. Sure enough she improved her ranking by over 600 places in the last couple of years, but she did have her PR and of course the British WC's to lean on. Now on a six match losing streak too. Time is on her side of course, she'll only be 23 in January, so I'm hoping for the best.

Shame Jamie Hampton will probably never make it back on the tour, almost three years now since she last played a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bouchard loses in first round in Brisbane. She needs to take serious stock of the situation and start making changes.

http://www.tsn.ca/bouchard-falls-in-brisbane-opener-1.641911

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So.... Serena, Kerber, Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Radwanska and Halep all posting early losses in the first week of the season. Great start :pac:

Everything going to plan so far on the ATP side, even Dimitrov is winning matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No Aussie Open thread yet but... Simon Carr set to make his GS debut:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=264683

So Verdasco just choked away four match points to Djokovic. Djokovic wins it in the third set.

• Advertisement

Lisicki withdraws from the Australian Open.. draw blown wide open :pac:

Murray and Djokovic putting on a drop shot exhibition at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

I said at the start if Djokovic wins this he has a chance - a chance at the AO , if Murray wins it he is done for.

Murray saving all those match points :cool: This may only be a 250, but it's such an important match heading into the Australian Open.

Easy 4 slams for Murray this year .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Djokovic is back, he wins Australia.

That was a good game, apart from an ATP win, a psychological win for Novak, and showing form at the right time.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Djokovic is back, he wins Australia.

He has a chance now .... had he lost i would have thought mentally it would have been it for him ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

He is indeed done for, especially losing it like that today after having 3 MPs .."
    Stick to your guns lad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

pretty good win for djokovic, he looks like he might be refocusing (then again, he really should have lost yesterday so time will tell),

couple of walkabout games here and there from murray cost him dearly, he reverts to being waaay too passive without lendl in his box

Djokovic obviously did a bit of work on his overhead it was pretty good today, murray interestingly seemed to win most of the longer points

Overall I just wish these two could wrap it up a bit quicker in general, it took an hour longer than it should have.

Couple of interesting results doing the rounds this week, so looking forward to melbourne now

Easy 4 slams for Murray this year .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh hey the monkey/coyboy builder! Was wondering why I hadn't seen you in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Oh hey the monkey/coyboy builder! Was wondering why I hadn't seen you in a while.

this

Howdy!

2C75CACE00000578-3240286-John_Cleese_co_wrote_Fawlty_Towers_with_ex_wife_Connie_Booth_and-a-3_1442600263938.jpg

Big week for Dimitrov, wins Brisbane and defeats three top ten players along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

James McGee just won his first round qualifying match for the Australian Open 7-6 7-5.

• Advertisement

ahayes84 wrote: »
    James McGee just won his first round qualifying match for the Australian Open 7-6 7-5.

Yep .. really would love to see him qualify , 2 more rounds tho ..

I should be in bed.

Just watched Mertens beat Bertens in Hobart.

McGee won his 2nd qualie !!

6-2 6-4

McGee has lost to Mott just there now.

7/6 3/6 6/3

In the 3rd set at 4/1 he lost on his serve, then broke back and got it 5/3. He got close to making it.

It's a real pity, Irish tennis has a long way to go

https://twitter.com/jamesmcgee01/status/820159439227363329

Now that the Australian open is over what's the next big one up, is it Indian Wells? Think the rest are all 250 and 500s?

For the ATP yeah, next masters are Indian Wells/Miami in March. Dubai for the WTA in three weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Random question, but why do they no longer hold ATP events on carpet? I recall that being occasionally used for big events when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why has there never been at least one top level Irish tennis player i.e top 50 or better male or female.Just seems strange that we've produced a number of top level players in other sports but never one in Tennis.

I know the weather in Ireland doesn't maybe suit the sport but it's no different than Sweden or Switzerland and they've done pretty well in the sport over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Why has there never been at least one top level Irish tennis player i.e top 50 or better male or female.Just seems strange that we've produced a number of top level players in other sports but never one in Tennis.

I know the weather in Ireland doesn't maybe suit the sport but it's no different than Sweden or Switzerland and they've done pretty well in the sport over the years.

That's a question I meant to ask too. As a country we enjoy watching tennis, more so than many sports that we have actually succeeded in. Why does this interest not get translated to success on court?

Advertisement