Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sets of faahve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jan 23rd. Deadlift rep day

Had a horrible weekend. Ended up having to do overtime for free due to a work emergency for pretty much the entire weekend so missed my OHP/BB day. Took a few hours off yesterday morning to go watch some lifting (*waves at Alf*). Pulled a sickie in work so went to the gym this morning with no sense of urgency to fit in everything in in X amount of time. Lifting heavy things was going to feel like therapy.

Deadlift:
    137.5kg x 5
    137.5kg x 5
    137.5kg x 5

Prescribed was 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps. Having long rest times helped.

Deadlift:
    150kg x 2
    150kg x 2

Was supposed to be 147.5kg rack pulls, but being so close to the meet, I wanted to keep my cues in check. Plus, lifting therapy. First reps were solid AF but 2nd reps kinda went arseways.

Deadlift:
    130kg x 5
    130kg x 5

Was supposed to be deficits, but same as above. Went touch-and-go because therapy.

Barbell rows:
    70kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    70kg x 8

DB shrugs:
    30kg x 15
    30kg x 15
    30kg x 15

Hanging leg raises (pause at top):

Today felt good. Yeah, I deviated from the program again but I just had to do it. This was the last time I deadlift heavy-ish until the day of the meet in 13 days as next week is all about the deloads. 50kg for 3 sets of 8 or something like that. I find it hard to set up properly at that weight as I'm pulling the bar off the ground and falling over. But that's next week's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sickie sessions are great.

Rest periods where you can fit in a power nap.

Jan 24. Bench explosive day

Paused bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 2
    65kg x 2
    65kg x 2
    65kg x 2
    65kg x 2

CGBP:
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

Spoto press:
    60kg x 6
    60kg x 6

Prescribed sets for CGBP and spoto were 2-3 sets. I was in a hurry so didn't do the 3rd ones.

Pullup:
    +10kg x 5
    +10kg x 5
    +10kg x 5

One arm DB row, 3020:
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8

Both cable machine attachments were being used by the only other two people in the gym, so I skipped facepulls and did rows. Also skipped bicep curls because my pullups were a struggle form-wise and I definitely used some arms to get up.

Easy day. In and out in 45 minutes cos I needed to drive to Limerick for 10am.

Dec 27. Squat heavy day

Squat:
    20kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    * knee sleeves *
    90kg x 2
    100kg x 2
    * belt *
    110kg x 2
    117.5kg x 2
    120kg x 1
    125kg x 1
    105kg x 8

First ever time squatting with sleeves, so christened my StrengthShop IPF sleeves with a ton of sweat. Gym instructor spotted me for the 117.5kgs, as that is my planned opener and he said it looked ridiculously easy. No grinding. Looked like RPE 7. Said it's the perfect opener and agreed with me that leaping to 130kg afterwards is a good plan.

120kg and 125kg were part of the program and the 105kg was an AMRAP. Really, really buzzing about the meet now. I wasn't expecting my opener to be THAT easy.

Leg curl:
    41kg plate x 12
    41kg plate x 12
    41kg plate x 12

Back extension:

Farmer walk:
    +40kg length x 2
    +40kg length x 2
    +40kg length x 2

I'm pretty damn happy. Bring on Feb 5th.

Nice! You're all set!

How did the sleeves feel?

• Advertisement

Doesn't feel as sexy as the singlet!

I didn't like them when I first opened the packaging and tried them on. I walked up and down the stairs and they just made moving feel difficult. But this morning, I didn't really notice them when I had weight on my back. It's just one session so I can't say with confidence that they helped me, but they definitely don't inhibit me.

Doesn't feel as sexy as the singlet!

I didn't like them when I first opened the packaging and tried them on. I walked up and down the stairs and they just made moving feel difficult. But this morning, I didn't really notice them when I had weight on my back. It's just one session so I can't say with confidence that they helped me, but they definitely don't inhibit me.

Yeah, was pretty much the same as that the first couple of sessions.

I like them on now. Maybe it's a mental thing but that in itself can help. If you feel like they're going to help, then they probably will!

As well, it was put to me, it's a centimetre of material behind the knee when you're in the hole so it possibly helps. Only to a small degree but maybe that's the 1% of everything that makes the difference on a third attempt.

Jan 30. Deload day:

Squat:
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8

Paused bench:
    40kg x 9
    40kg x 9

Deadlift:
    90kg x 4
    90kg x 4
    90kg x 4

*yawn*

Feb 2nd. Deload

Bench:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    65kg x 1
    65kg x 1
    65kg x 1

In and out of the gym in ~25 minutes, including a bit of lower body mobility.

A few weeks ago, I realised my feet weren't completely flat on the ground. While the heel was down, the outside of my foot wasn't. I thought it was grand after reading the IPF rulebook but a few people at the Leinsters weren't given the start command for the same reason.

It's easily fixed by narrowing my stance but then it makes leg drive harder to use. I can fix it properly but it means I need to concentrate on having my glutes engaged for the entire bench, as it spreads my knees out and ends up flattening my feet. Might loosen my shoes a bit on the day so the soles of the shoes are flat ;)

Feb 3rd. Deload

Squat:
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8

Bench:
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8

Deadlift:
    90kg x 4
    90kg x 4
    90kg x 4

Was supposed to be 50kg 3x8 but well, trying to set myself up with such a light bar is too hard.

1ivvb8.jpg

Well, all the work is done. Just have to show up now.

• Advertisement

Saul looking good chief!

Best of luck at the weekend. Bring back some shiny new PRs!

Meet #2 done and dusted.

Got to the venue late and missed my weigh in, so had to wait until last. Stripped down to my jocks and had my gear inspected by Hanley (pbuh). 87.6kg. Heavier than I expected but meh

Squats:

Had a bit of a panic warming up for squats. Was aware that warming up too soon could result in being tired when it came to my turn, but it was the opposite. Approx 9 mins until my lift, I had only warmed up to 70kg despite opening with 117.5kg. Got in a 90kg triple and a 100kg belted single before getting on to the platform. Good lift.

Second lift was 130kg and also good. I didn't set the bar up properly on my back but powered through. Mistake, but it worked out.

Third lift was 140kg. Got under the bar and it didn't feel right. Knowing I didn't want to repeat, I stepped back, got under the bar and found the right spot. Good lift. 5kg PR. Apparently, it looked easy and Looked like I was being conservative. Heh.

Bench:

Made sure I warmed up with time to spare. Bar x 5, 40 x 5, 60 x 3, 70 x 2, 80 x 1, grand. Got onto the platform and was told to rerack before getting a command. Apparently, my right heel wasn't down. Got a 2nd chance with 30 secs left and got it. 85kg. Felt alright. Matched my PR

Official called me over to tell me my heel was creeping up during the lift. Said it wouldn't pass if I did it again. Decided to put my feet a little closer and further in front of me to avoid it, but that meant less leg drive. 90kg. 5kg PR.

Third lift was, well, it had an interesting start. While setting up, the bar lifter spotter guy got up too early so while I thrust myself backwards to set up, I headbutted him in the nads. He had to take a moment before I could go. I composed myself, set up, but failed 95kg. I'd like to think the start affected me, but it didn't. I just wasn't strong enough.

Deadlift:

I put 70kg on the bar to begin warmup, but had to take step back as I realised just how completely fcuking tired I was. I didn't have any caffeine during the event and I was completely drained. Did the warmup. 70, 90, 110 for 5, 5, 3 and then singles to 150. Opened 155kg. Piss easy.

Went 175kg for my 2nd lift. Felt heavy but it was fast. 5kg PR. One of the lads I warmed up with said I'm stronger than I think I am, so I went nuts and asked for 200kg next.

Had just been introduced to smelling salts for my 175kg and I liked the buzz, so thought 200kg might be somewhat possible. Charged up to the bar and latched on, but it only got 5-6 inches from the ground and I had to put it down. Body just said no. I laughed as I walked off the platform.

Summary is:
    Squat 117.5, 130, 140
    Bench 85, 90, 95F
    Deadlift 155, 175, 200F

I loved today so much. The experience is unbelievable. I was a jittering mess of emotions for about 3 hours and it drained me. The drive back to Dublin was horrible but luckily my girlfriend was with me to keep me company.

Things to take away from today:

I am stronger than I give myself credit for. Most of my weaknesses are in my head. I've only ever HB squatted so need to learn the way of the low bar as I'm probably missing out. I also want to learn sumo deadlifts to see how I find them. Coaching book for next week. But for now, I'm gonna relax. Might pop into the gym and do some accessory stuff like facepulls that have been neglected during the taper.

That's deadly, man. Bar has been reset, time to believe in yourself a bit more and go balls out (about to say 'not literally' but the singlet removes the choice) amd hit training hard again.

Virtual high five!

February 7th. Arse about the gym day

Lotsa mobility.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 1
    55kg x 1
    60kg x 1 (5kg PR)

Pullup:
    5kg x 5
    5kg x 5
    5kg x 5

Glute-ham raise:

Facepulls:
    29kg plate x 12
    29kg plate x 12
    29kg plate x 12

Ab wheel rolling:

Just doing bits and pieces of accessory work. Nothing too specific. OHP was a last minute "sure why not" as I wanted to know where it was at. Only ever do it for high reps. Rest was concentrating on the stuff I neglected for the past few weeks.

Feb 9th. Squat coaching

I've never low bar squatted before and felt like I was missing out, so got some coaching this morning. It definitely feels weird, but not completely alien to me. Breaking at the hips first is actually something I did HB once upon a time until a trainer told me to stop. But because I've been breaking at the hips and knees together for so long, it was tricky to get back in to the habit.

Was something like
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3 (and lots more triples at here. can't remember how many, but maybe 7-8).

Started developing some butt wink at times so concentrating on trying to arch removed that. I got the hip motion nailed pretty quick, but the bracing aspect was the hardest to get right. Also, the bounce at bottom position is felt completely in the hamstrings, as opposed to the quads with HB.

My wrists hurt. I haven't had the elbow pain I keep hearing about, so looking forward to that.

Then did some arsing around with GHRs, back extensions and also gave the reverse hyper machine a go, as I had never used it before. All these were alternated with a set of 8 lat pulldowns @ 47kg plate. I wouldn't call it a superset as I hadn't a plan at this point.

Exciting!

I've never had elbow pain from low-bar squatting nor have I ever really felt it sore on my shoulders. Maybe it's because I don't squat heavy enough but I don't think it's a given that you'll get them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I hope you were using wrist wraps

Highly recommended shoulder dislocates as a warm up for lb

bluewolf wrote: »
    I hope you were using wrist wraps

I wore them after your advice and nearly ended up with gangrene in my hands.

I own wrist wraps but haven't used them yet. I might try.

My wrists haven't been sore since before I learned how to front squat properly :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How do you not have gangrene in your wrists without them

@ av

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    How do you not have gangrene in your wrists without them

I don't really feel much discomfort in my wrists without wraps. Well, I can't say I've finished a squat set and thought about wrist pain. A lot of the time, the reason I use wraps is probably more psychological for heavy sets, i.e. it feels stronger and more secure.

But I don't doubt they mitigate discomfort so give them a go and see how they feel, NC!

Will do.

Do you guys go thumb over/under?

Will do.

Do you guys go thumb over/under?

Under. I have tried over but just didn't feel as comfortable because I don't think I felt as if it was as secure.

But it works for plenty. Think Rippetoe suggests it.

I never even tried over
    I think
    Lwme squat tonight and get back to you on that
    Lol

The answer is definitely thumb under

February 10. Bench day:

Bench (TnG):
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

One arm DB row:
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8

Hang clean:
    20kg x 10

Gym was empty. Owner left me alone for a few minutes to go to the shop so I decided to go nuts. Hadn't a clue what I was doing tbh.

Tricep pulldown:
    29kg plate x 20

Facepull:
    29kg plate x 25

Day was mostly arsing around cos doing something is better than doing nothing.

I predominantly bench paused. While this is a good way of not getting bad habits for a competition, one major drawback is that when I do go up in weight, the weight of a bar completely throws me. I.e. I recently PR'd for 90kg. I had never held 90kg in my hands before and by god, it felt scary. If I had been TnG benching too, I probably would have benched 90-100kg before this and would have at least known what the bar felt like. So no paused for a while.

I am thinking of giving the Texas Method a go. A friend of mine made a serious amount of progress using it over 3 months and I'm jealous. I want some form of squat-centric program and it almost fits the bill. It's just I haven't a clue how to do power cleans. Apparently, they can be replaced by RDLs. I did some empty bar hang cleans to see if it felt somewhat natural and, well, no. I felt foolish and would never have tried this if people could see me.

Anyway, TM requires you to know your 5x5RM. I just benched until it got uncomfortably heavy for reps and did 5x5 there. I've previous done 3x5 paused, but I feel the post-peak fatigue right now. When starting the program, I'll drop back to 65kg just to progress slowly.

It's just I haven't a clue how to do power cleans. Apparently, they can be replaced by RDLs

RDLs are a good option because glute/hamstring strength will always help address weak points in deadlift. Usually back or glutes/hams are the limiting factor, depending how and where form breaks down.

Alan Thrall loved the TM. Said his 5RM went from 140 to 180. Had never even gone near 180 for a single. Lots of food and sleep needed because its tough going maxing out once a week.

February 12. Learning day

A certain kind boardsie offered to teach me the power clean so my approach to the Texas Method may actually not be YNFTP.

Hang clean:
    20kg for about 6-7 sets of 3-5 in an uncoordinated mess
    30kg for about 3 sets of 3 somewhat coordinated

Power clean:
    30kg for about 5 sets of 3
    35kg for about 3 sets of 3

Some of these were more like cleans than power cleans. I won't lie. I thought I was clarence for a few reps, hence moving up to 35kg when I wasn't supposed to. Livin on da edge

LB squat:
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    110kg x 2
    115kg x 1

Plan was just to go up as heavy as I could feel comfortable going. 115 was 2.5kg less than my opener so happy I got that far. Had more in the tank but felt a pinch in my left knee, so left it at that. Did very little warming up/mobility before this so should have been expected.

Also, the squat racks in this gym annoyed me. They had the fixed pins so when unracking the bar, I always hit the bar off the pins above. Threw me off a good bit.

Wide grip pullups:

February 14. Deadlift coaching

Always curious about sumo deadlifting, so got some coaching today. I've heard before that it's slow off the floor, but quick once it's halfway up the shins.

Once you do it, it feels fcukin weird. The setup just feels uncomfortable. My hips and knees just feel weird and trying to pull myself into position makes everything worse. When beginning the pull, my thought process goes something like "no, I don't like sumo, this sucks, this is horrible, why am I doing this... oh, bar is at the top already???".

Sumo deadlift:
    40kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    110kg x 3
    140kg x 1 for maybe 10 singles, can't remember which

I had a tendency to shrug the bar up, which meant bending the elbows, which is something I'm guilty of doing for conventional. Was told to emphasis more on tight lats than scapular retraction. Chest out and imagine squeezing oranges into my armpits. Got better as I went on.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5

Some arsing around involves seeing where my 5RM is at before starting the Texas Method. 45kg x 5 was easy, but I'll use it as a starting point cos, well the slightest increments in weight for OHPing suck.

• Advertisement

February 16

LB squat:
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 3

Bench, touch and go:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 5

60kg and 70kg felt wayyy heavier than they should have. I could easily do 70kg x 5 paused, but touch and go today was a struggle. I must still have post meet fatigue.

Pullups, wide angle:

Glute-ham raises:

Finally over my fear of GHRs. No more cramping of the legs. All I'm thinking while doing these is "toes forward toes forward toes forward toes forward toes forward, done".

Power clean stuff:
    20kg hang clean x 3
    40kg hang clean x 3
    40kg hang clean x 3
    40kg power clean, starting from hang clean position* x 3
    40kg power clean, starting from hang clean position x 3

*still not comfortable starting from the floor, so I deadlift the bar to hang clean position, do my bracing and lower it to the floor before power cleaning it up. They were all over the place. Shrugging, but no ankles. Ankles, but no shrugging. Ankles and shrugging but catching with elbows too low. Just did some triples until I felt my cues finally came together for 3 in a row. Still probably looked awful, but practise practise practise! At least they were all power cleans and not actual cleans.

Advertisement