Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If you feel insulted I apologise.

I just have no idea what your opinions are as you don't consciously read any posts and brag about that fact. Seems a bit petulant but hey, it's a free country. You dont have to express your opinions but would be good to know if you have any.

Well, that was a short lived apology ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

If you feel insulted I apologise.

I just have no idea what your opinions are as you don't consciously read any posts and brag about that fact. Seems a bit petulant but hey, it's a free country. You dont have to express your opinions but would be good to know if you have any.

You've no idea what my opinions are but were still able to tell me I was incapable of changing them? Go away. Not interest and we're derailing the thread.

Someone said he was carrying paintballs? Any source for that? I wouldn't be surprised there's the type of person out there who would love to go into that place and ruin a load of paintings. But are they the same kind of person that would take on a soldier holding a rifle with a machete?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Mary63 wrote: »
    These people are those people who decapitate an elderly man trying to protect priceless arifacts.

I think you are referring to ISIS in Syria
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/18/isis-beheads-archaeologist-syria

These people are those people who decapitate an elderly priest, attackers are in their early twenties.

I think you are referring to Etienne-du-Rouvary. These were radicalised French citizens.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Normandy_church_attack

These people are the ones who drug themselves up to the hilt and then murder people enjoying a concert, reason being the Koran forbids music and dance.

I think this is the Bataclan attacks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2015_Paris_attacks

The pepatrators were French and Belgian and two Iraqis.

These people are the ones who murder gay people enjoying a night out, reason being the Koran says homosexuality is illegal.

This appears to be the Orlando Shootings.
    This was carried out by a radicalised American from New York
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Orlando_nightclub_shooting

Need I go on, what about all the honour killings of young women who decide that they aren't owned by anyone so they will marry who they please.What about the fifteen year old girl shot in the head because she wanted to go to school.

These people are living back in the sixteenth century and they want to spread their message of hatred of normal civilised people, i.e. murder journalists in cold blood even though the pen is mightier than the sword.

I have no wish to appease anyone like this, no wish to engage in anyway with their twisted illogical thinking so if they want a way of life that is incompatible with Western values then off they go, I will hold the door open for them myself.

All of "these" people were radicalised Nationals in their own countries. Where are they supposed to be deported to?

You've no idea what my opinions are but were still able to tell me I was incapable of changing them? Go away. Not interest and we're derailing the thread.

Someone said he was carrying paintballs? Any source for that? I wouldn't be surprised there's the type of person out there who would love to go into that place and ruin a load of paintings. But are they the same kind of person that would take on a soldier holding a rifle with a machete?

Well like Jesus to Judas I've asked you three times. That's thrice you have denied me. As you say we are derailing so I shall leave you to your own nursed ideas.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 open_minded

Can you not kiss and make up?

That's a Judas reference by the way.

First post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

91hz69.jpg

His arm looks white to me.

I agree. I just find it interesting that he looks white.

Hard to tell, and it's really too early to know much of anything about him - and on the other side, the Quebec shooter also reportedly shouted 'Allahu Akbar' so that doesn't tell us an awful lot either at this stage. For what it's worth, on the photo I think you're looking at (this one), I think the white is actually one of the soldiers' neck/head/hand as opposed to the attackers' arm.

All of "these" people were radicalised Nationals in their own countries. Where are they supposed to be deported to?

The same place as Dylann Roof, Eric Rudolph, Timothy McVeigh, Anders Breivik, Alexandre Bisonette, etc I would imagine...

Billy86 wrote: »
    Hard to tell, and it's really too early to know much of anything about him - and on the other side, the Quebec shooter also reportedly shouted 'Allahu Akbar' so that doesn't tell us an awful lot either at this stage. For what it's worth, on the photo I think you're looking at (this one), I think the white is actually one of the soldiers' neck/head/hand as opposed to the attackers' arm.

No it's not that one. Its the second one from the Mail I posted about two pages back.

And no, the arm is visible in both and belongs to the attacker.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 open_minded

Like a previous poster said, Islam is deeply embedded into France.

Approx 10% of their population of 60 million are Muslim.

Will France be able to create or foster a society where Islam and secular western values can peacefully co-exist?

It all seems to depend on Islam, and whether or not Islam can reform itself like Catholicism did centuries ago.

Marine le Pen is unlikely to win in France I feel. She needs either 50% or more in the first round which is unlikely as there are 5 or more runners, or 50% or more in the second round, which is also unlikely, as many French will vote for her opponent to deny her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Most of the radicalised had left their homes in the West to go and join ISIS, this was in spite of growing up in the West with all that modern developed Western society has to offer.Most of the terrorists are losers, no qualifications, no money apart from welfare benefits, living in deprived areas with no hope of bettering themselves because they didn't engage with education,they are filled with hatred for Western people especially Western young women who they think should be imprisoned at home and if allowed out should be covered from head to toe so no one has to look at bare female flesh.

Thats the thing though, were do you send them, can we even stop the ones who went to Syria from getting back into Europe, most will invent false names and tell untrue tales of woe and give false dates of birth so they can claim asylum.How can we just leave them in Syria to continue to rape women and children, it is all so depressing.

• Advertisement

Most of the radicalised had left their homes in the West to go and join ISIS, this was in spite of growing up in the West with all that modern developed Western society has to offer.Most of the terrorists are losers, no qualifications, no money apart from welfare benefits, living in deprived areas with no hope of bettering themselves because they didn't engage with education,they are filled with hatred for Western people especially Western young women who they think should be imprisoned at home and if allowed out should be covered from head to toe so no one has to look at bare female flesh.

Thats the thing though, were do you send them, can we even stop the ones who went to Syria from getting back into Europe, most will invent false names and tell untrue tales of woe and give false dates of birth so they can claim asylum.How can we just leave them in Syria to continue to rape women and children, it is all so depressing.

I'm not sure that is true.

The real question is why they as you say take off to Syria to become radicalised. They are obviously marginalised and feel like outsiders in the Country that they live in.

As a society do we then ostracise communities further because of this tiny minorty or do we roll out education programmes and invest in education, in our schools, in our economies, or do we spent more money on weapons and bombs and invading other countries.

There will always be radicals. History has taught us that but there are those that use violence and those that detest violence. If we, as a modern society say that violence and religious intolerance is wrong we should have the moral courage to stand up for that and resist lazy labels to say that 1.6 billion people in this world are radicalised. They are not. You have radical Christians who kill and radical Muslums who kill. You have radical athiests who kill. They are all the same. Embittered people who lash out.

We can't save them all, nor should we but our reaction should be more intelligent than

Islam= Bad.

Easy lazy answers are always the wrong ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

At this stage do we even have to ask who's to blame; but the mainstream political consensus is to an ostrich impersonation for fear of causing offence. Don't be surprised to see Le Pen the next president of France.

Suspect named as Egypian

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/louvre-terror-attack-suspect-named-9752357
    he suspect of the Louvre terror attack today has been named as a 29-year-old Egyptian unknown to French authorities.

Abdallah EH has been named by local media as the suspect after who reportedly entering the country on a visa from the United Arab Emirates last week.He was unknown to French intelligence but checks were being made with Egypt to see if they had flagged him, LCI reports.

DNA and fingerprint analysis was still ongoing but information had been gathered from his mobile phone, it was reported.he website reported the man arrived in Paris on January 26 at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris after flying in from Dubai.

He had made a visa application from the UAE for access to France last year and was approved, the website said.

Anti-terror police were now searching a hotel room on Rue de Ponthieu, in the 8th Arrondissement of the capital, the suspect had booked.

Abdallah had booked a return flight to Dubai for this Sunday.

The details have emerged after a dramatic picture emerged showing the moment soldiers shot the machete-wielding 'terrorist' at the Louvre in Paris today.

The man who police say shouted "Allahu akhbar" as he attacked the soldiers can be seen lying on the ground.

The soldiers stand anxiously above him pointing their guns following the attack.

The victim is now being treated for serious injuries in hospital after soldiers fired five shots during the suspected terror attack.

Soldiers patrolling as part of France’s on-going State of Emergency stopped the attacker getting into the building.

"He was carrying a suitcase and was refused access," said a police source at the scene.The man immediately withdrew a knife, and attacked.

"It was at this moment that a soldier used his weapon to disable the men, who was wounded.

"The area has been evacuated."

The drama unfolded next to the Carrousel du Louvre – a vast underground shopping centre built into the museum complex.

Police union official Yves Lefebvre said the man attacked soldiers when they told him he could not enter the underground shopping mall with his bags.

Mr Lefebvre says police found two machetes on the attacker.

A soldier was slightly wounded during the incident with other soldiers firing five shots at the attacker.

I don't want to defame anyone by posting a link but putting in Abdallah EH on Facebook seems to link to an open profile of a gentleman who appears to Egypian.

He certainly wouldnt fit the profile of as Islamic fundamentalist as this gentleman appears to be gay.

Surely now Donald Trump, who felt the need to tweet about this being an example of Islamic terror just earlier today, will add Egypt to his list of banned countries, rather than keeping them off in the interests of his own personal financial gain. Right?

Surely now Donald Trump, who felt the need to tweet about this being an example of Islamic terror just earlier today, will add Egypt to his list of banned countries, rather than keeping them off in the interests of his own personal financial gain. Right?

Seems this lad was living in Dubai and had a return flight booked.

Ostensibly in Paris on a holiday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Like a previous poster said, Islam is deeply embedded into France.

Approx 10% of their population of 60 million are Muslim.

Will France be able to create or foster a society where Islam and secular western values can peacefully co-exist?

It all seems to depend on Islam, and whether or not Islam can reform itself like Catholicism did centuries ago.

Marine le Pen is unlikely to win in France I feel. She needs either 50% or more in the first round which is unlikely as there are 5 or more runners, or 50% or more in the second round, which is also unlikely, as many French will vote for her opponent to deny her.
    Secularism and Islam does not compute. So the answer to this question is a resounding NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Or maybe the EU just ban them and let Trump worry about the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I don't know what your point about him being gay is Mrincognito.

The person who murdered the gay people in Florida was a regular visitor to the gay night club himself, ten to twenty per cent of Muslims are gay in orientation and they can scream abuse at the infidels for their gay lifestyle while hiding their own sexuality.WAsnt one of the Brussels terrorists a frequent visitor to gay bars too, the hypocrisy of these religious nut jobs is matched only by the hypocrisy of our won Roman Catholic clergy, most of whom are gay too.

I don't know what your point about him being gay is Mrincognito.

The person who murdered the gay people in Florida was a regular visitor to the gay night club himself, ten to twenty per cent of Muslims are gay in orientation and they can scream abuse at the infidels for their gay lifestyle while hiding their own sexuality.WAsnt one of the Brussels terrorists a frequent visitor to gay bars too, the hypocrisy of these religious nut jobs is matched only by the hypocrisy of our won Roman Catholic clergy, most of whom are gay too.

I'm not saying he is gay. I'm simply saying that there is a profile on Facebook with an Egypian with the same name who is gay. Doesn't mean its the same person.

But the attacker apparentely flew in from Dubai last Thursday and was due to fly out on Sunday.

Hypothetically if it is the same person it seems quite a strange profile for a terrorist.

The Sun are reporting that he went mad after being asked to open his bags.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/528185/louvre-terror-attack-suspect-identified-as-29-year-old-egyptian-who-arrived-in-france-a-week-ago-on-flight-from-dubai/
    Dramatic pictures have emerged of the moment he was swooped on by four soldiers after he rampaged through the museum's underground shopping centre when he was challenged to open his bag.

The terror suspect was left critically injured after being blasted in the stomach and legs five times by one guard at around 11am this morning local time.

I do have a pertinent question thought.

He was INSIDE the Museum from the pictures.

Where did he get the knives? You have to pass through security and metal dectors to get to that part of the Museum.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Or maybe the EU just ban them and let Trump worry about the U.S.
    But the EU isn't attempting to ban whole populations for entire countries (or at least whole Muslim populations), whereas Trump has - and has used this attempted attack (nice to see French soldiers appear to be well trained) to try and promote that further. Egypt however, where he has sizable business interests, is not on his list. Maybe today's events will inspire him to sacrifice some of his own money in what (at least what he figures) would be the the safety of his own people.

Or maybe his own pockets mean more to him. Either way, I guess we'll find out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

But the EU isn't attempting to ban whole populations for entire countries (or at least whole Muslim populations), whereas Trump has - and has used this attempted attack (nice to see French soldiers appear to be well trained) to try and promote that further. Egypt however, where he has sizable business interests, is not on his list. Maybe today's events will inspire him to sacrifice some of his own money in what (at least what he figures) would be the the safety of his own people.

Or maybe his own pockets mean more to him. Either way, I guess we'll find out.

This thread is not about P trump, its about an attack in Paris, allegedly by another Islamic terrorist/fighter etc or does everything now with you have to bring Trump into it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

And How exactly do you see Ireland supporting itself Financially.

You seem to have thought this through

What are you talking about? The EU does not financially support Ireland. We are now net contributors to the EU.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-contributes-more-money-than-it-gets-to-eu-for-first-time-34815450.html

This thread is not about P trump, its about an attack in Paris, allegedly by another Islamic terrorist/fighter etc or does everything now with you have to bring Trump into it ??
    The comment bears mentioning since Trump was so eager to get himself involved in it. It's part of the problem of having a president who doesn't know how to act presidential, they get themselves involved in a lot of awkward spots where they would be best to just avoid.

It will be interesting to see what information comes out from this, though it does seem a very odd and ineffective terror attack if it were planned out, in that while he was able to get a machete through security in the Louvre it was high risk (to get the machete in) and low reward (never going to wind up in maybe 1-2 kills before being gunned down) whereas typically they look for lower risk and higher reward (body count). As I said, great to see the French soldiers being well trained as if it was an Islamic terror attack, not only did they manage to put a stop to it before anyone could get hurt but also prevented the guy from making a martyr of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The same place as Dylann Roof, Eric Rudolph, Timothy McVeigh, Anders Breivik, Alexandre Bisonette, etc I would imagine...

The latest trend appears to be to list out right wing terrorists as somehow a response to islamic fundamentalist terrorism.

I guess it is a lot easier to do since there isn't a list as long as your arm to have to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

OK, because I read that as "He had it coming for running away from the police, you don't need to know the language to not do that".
    But you're now sincerely claiming that they should have told him to stop in Portuguese?

I was putting a point across in a way to suggest that being told to stop, is not always clear cut.
    The original that I responded to, suggested he should have obeyed the police, but I am saying maybe he did not understand and therefore that is why I mentioned Portuguese language, it was to make a point that with language difference, there can be unforeseen consequences.

jmayo wrote: »
    The latest trend appears to be to list out right wing terrorists as somehow a response to islamic fundamentalist terrorism.

I guess it is a lot easier to do since there isn't a list as long as your arm to have to type.

So where do you suggest France deports French born citizens to then, or where the US should deport US born citizens to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Secularism and Islam does not compute. So the answer to this question is a resounding NO.

Except for all the secular mulsims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So where do you suggest France deports French born citizens to then, or where the US should deport US born citizens to?

If you are a citizen breaking the law or have been found planning to break it then jail or even internment for people associating with known jihadists.

If you are a citizen found to be returning from being with a fundamentalist terrorist organisation in overseas country then your passport is confiscated and you are deported back to that country to either stay with your terrorist friends or face the wrath of that states government if they are fighting those same terrorists.

e.g if you have been found to be fighting with ISIS in Syria you are sent on plane to Damascus and Assad's guys will deal with you.
    If you make your bed with the likes of ISIS then shag you.

We saw last summer how well house arrest and monitoring worked in France.
    And we saw how well letting these people wander around free worked out in Germany.

The majority have to be protected and if some fail to recognise the laws of the land and the rights of most people to live in a secular non discrimatory society then feck them.

And if people don't like it they can shag off and emigrate to some shytehole of a country that agrees with their cra**y beliefs.

BTW why are you asking me this in response to fact you just listed out the few right winger famous terrorists.

Do you really want me to actually start listing islamic fundamentalist terrorists ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Grayson wrote: »

Except for all the secular mulsims.
    Rarely will you find many in Islam who support gay rights, female rights, Jewish rights and keeping Islam out of government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Laois_Man wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The EU does not financially support Ireland. We are now net contributors to the EU.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-contributes-more-money-than-it-gets-to-eu-for-first-time-34815450.html

I have to laugh your ignorance

in the article
    The note states that in 2014, Ireland contributed around €1.69bn to the EU Budget, and received €1.52bn in return.

Do you know why Irish bond Interest rates are so low?

Advertisement